Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite game of all time?

Ivan

Arcane
Rayman Origins - unbelievable music and art plus proper difficulty and an excellent post game chapter for us tryhards

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is a tough question, but I'd probably have to say Quest for Glory IV. It had an interesting setting and characters. The different classes got to do more varied things, and I liked the overall experience of it.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Dragon age origins, it just ticks everything i love in an rpg.

Other hot contenders were xcom2 (with mods), jagged alliance 2, alpha centauri, king of dragons pass and baldurs gate 2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I want to pick Might & Magic VI instead. Never gets boring for 120+ hours and the best virtual world in a video-game bar none, and best dungeons. No RPG ever came close to me.
I had a hard time picking between Thief 1 and MM6. Although I chose Thief, MM6 is such a wonderful game, just as you described it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hard to pick just one. But probably Star Control 2. I expected it to be like the first game (back then we didn't have the Youtoobs and check videos of every game before playing them, shitlennials).

I first played it in the 2000's, more than a decade after release and was still blown away by how it sucked me into the universe and made me want to keep paying and exploring, deep gameplay in spite of simple controls, dynamic campaign where choices REALLY matter. And how the story manages to be really dark, ominous and serious despite having the whackiest, zaniest alien races in any game ever.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
i have 100.000 hours in league of legends watching and playing,guess is my favourite game.
Fake news. Even if you played nonstop since the release of the game, you couldn't spend 100.000 hours on it. :M

Falksi

Arcane
SuperMarioWorld

In 1991 I bought a Super Famicom on import from Japan to play my then fave arcade game - Final Fight. Supermarioworld came bundled with the package and I paid it no real mind on purchase. However from the second I plugged it in to this very day nearly 30 years later it amazed me and keeps amazing me. I've never know a game so easy to pick up, yet so supremely designed that it has layer on layer on layer on layer of discovery, secrets & wonder.

What made it even better for me was the fact that firstly it was a Jap import, so I'd no idea how to do anything, yet it all came so naturally & made discoveries even more satisying. The second I flew was a total fluke experience and it blew my mind, I thought feathers just helped you glide & jump further. It just kept dropping new things on me, things I wouldn't expect, and I coudn't wait to discover the next one. It took me 4 days to "finish" but then around 6 months to find all the worlds, after a chance conversation with an arcade opponent linformed me that there were 96 worlds. The second I finally found that last world (which took me around a month as it was tucked away in a ghost house) I fucking buzzed like fuck.

Secondly, it was so simple to play that it was brilliant for having your mates round & playing on, especially fit big-breasted girls who couldn't play anything else without dying in 2 seconds. They absolutely loved it. We all piled into my bedroom day in day out & the kicks I got over having to squeeze past Claire as I went to the fridge & I "accidently" rubbed against her fucking lush, big breasts; pushing by Annie's tight arse as I moved to the controller, squeezing everyone into the room and being sandwich between the smell & feel of two lush girls either side, then showing off as they died in 2 seconds, and I whizzed through the levels being fast & flash as fuck.

SMW isn't just a fantastic game which marries ultimate pick up & play playability with superb depth & challenge FAR beyond what any platform game should have, it embodied the birth of a truly magic time for me & all my friends, like some type of raging inner sun was bursting from us all and making the world a better place of incline. It felt like it was forged when the world was young, bird & beast & flower were one with man, and death was but a dream.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
i have 100.000 hours in league of legends watching and playing,guess is my favourite game.
Fake news. Even if you played nonstop since the release of the game, you couldn't spend 100.000 hours on it. :M
I often listen to league podcasts and watch gameplay on my phone while playing. I guess it counts as a 3x bonus.

In all seriousness, it's been a long while since I've been able to properly enjoy something. Fucking kids. Occasional game of League is all I can afford, and it is a seriously well developed game at this point. It does have a special place.

But under normal circumstances it would probably be Gothic or BG2. Or something else.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Darklands. I've sunk an obscene amount of time in it over the years.

In fact, Darklands is what made me discover RPG Codex in the first place. Other forums were busy talking about gay as fuck JRPGs like mainline Final Fantasy or having console wars discussion. I'd start a Darklands topic, it'd go into the pits of obscurity to die a lonely and unsung death. Then you'd have topics about Persona clogging things up. All I want is to discuss some HEROIC roleplaying adventures in medieval Germany. Then I found this site, people were saying things that in some places in USA would get you executed via glitterbomb firing squads, there was discussion of classic RPGs, it was love at first sight.

But yes, Darklands really grabbed me when I first saw it as a little baby spider. As a dumb kid I didn't know half of what I was doing but I simply enjoyed playing it and found its presentation gripping, as I got older and understood more and could actually read I began to really appreciate its genius. I love that blend of realism with superstitions come to life. You don't really get that sort of thing explored too often. I'm a huge horror fan so uncovering maniacal evil cults in simple and innocent villages that were trying to commune with devils was fucking rad.

There are many games I could put as contender for my favourite, but Darklands is that one I can romanticize and sing the praises of for a long time.

Games of other genres I'd list as my preferred in its category:

Beat 'em up - Streets of Rage 2, Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara (I'll always be down to play this, but I need to be the Elf and that's my only request)

JRPG - Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, the original Dragon Warrior. Not "Dragon Quest." The one with all the ye olde English and you had to bring up a menu to use the stairs and shit. If you saw an M. Wyvern you began sweating. The real Dragon Warrior.

Platformer - Super Mario Bros 3

Fighting - Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Weaponlord (this game has too much testosterone)

Stealth - Thief 1/2, but Dark Project edges Metal Age out just a little bit for me

Puzzle - Intelligent Qube, Devil Dice

Sports - NHL 94, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, NBA Jam, I'm not allowed to play any of these in a room with other humans because my 'competitive spirit' often leads to childish tantrums which results in breakage of personal property.

Strategy - Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2, Syndicate, Civilization III, Kingdom Under Fire: War of Heroes

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8

I played and replayed it over the years and it doesn't age (with the fast combat mods).

The game isn't perfect but it's damn close, character creation is the best ever created and i suspect it'll stay that way for decades at least, the ambient is really good, even for a 18 years old game, it has a full party creation but you can add hirelings (Just like in Isles of Terra, another weakness of mine), some great dungeons and quests, an interesting story and an impressive bestiary.
Bonus, itemization is good and crafting is well handled.

I have a list of preferred games, maybe a dozen, it's tough to choose and Wizardry 8 isn't the one i spent the most time on (it's probably a tough contest between UFO and Heroes 2) but it's the best cRPG i ever played, all things considered with some other serious contenders, though but throwing a list isn't the purpose here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom