Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite game of all time?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
The Talos Principle. The other candidates were Serious Sam TSE, Underrail, Dark Souls, Half-Life, Warcraft 3 and Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Deus Ex is still #1 nearly 2 decades later. System Shock 2 and Bloodlines are close contenders.

:Flash:

Arcane
Stone Age

It's just a little puzzle game and I'm sure I'm the only person on the planet for whom this is the favourite game. But somehow this game simply is in tune with how my brain works. It makes me happy every time I start it. I have never found even the slightest thing in it that I would change. To me, it's the perfect game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Alpha Centauri is still my fav. Its limitless replayability, well written story/world/characters.

Baldur's Gate Series is probably the best implementation of a D&D game even though it's not turn based. Torment is excellent, but once you've played it a few times, you are done. The character arcs feel a bit unfinished. Same with MotB. Arcanum is broken, but fun.

Diablo 2 is the best action RPG.

Witcher series are the best cinematic RPGs, followed by the first 3 Mass Effect games which pale in comparison.

Fallout 1 is the best post-apoc game, yes better than FO2.

Daggerfall is the best first person sandbox RPG.

GTAV is the best GTA game. Yes, better than Vice City and the Slav simulator.

Doom is the best FPS for action, followed by Deus Ex for story.

Unreal Tournament is the best multiplayer FPS.

MK3 is the best fighting game.

Frontier is the best space trader game. MOO, GalCiv2, Stellaris are great space strategy games. EV Nova/Endless Sky are excellent top down story games, as is Star Traders: Frontiers.

Hitman 2 and Blood Money are the most fun stealth games to me, even though the Thief series are the better games artistically and in story.

MGSV is the best 3rd person shooter. Frankly, I was never a big MGS fan, but it was perfect, in spite of its unfinished state and the forced nigglet adoption.

Rimworld is just an awesome game and its scope and replayability might make me pick it as a favorite, if it weren't so reliant on mods to make it truly fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

newtmonkey

Arcane
It's hard to choose one.

Ms. Pac-Man is up there. The very definition of simple to play, difficult to master. You can always improve your score.

If we are talking a game that I could endlessly replay and still find new stuff to do, Dark Souls I guess.

If we are talking a game I can enjoy no matter how many times I play it, even after it holds nothing new for me, Doom.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's so hard to choose. What would you even use as a metric for "favorite"? Most hours spent? Game you could play for the longest time?
PS:T resonated with me deeply, but I see no reason to play it a fifth, sixth, 20th time.

I think the most perfect game of all time is Ikaruga in the sense that absolutely nothing in it is not required; everything about it is perfect for what it intends to do.

By hours played, it would have to be X-Com Terror from the Deep or Master of Magic, and by "fun" it would have to be God Hand. But if we go by idealism, by my idea of the 'perfect' game, it would certainly be Ikaruga; I don't think such a thing can ever be replicated.

Starwars

Arcane
Fallout, but it's hard to just pick one to be honest.

There are a lot of older console games that I really love as well but that are not as active in my mind anymore. A link to the past is a good example.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Devil May Cry 3. I can't figure out how I played the supposedly horrible PC port back then for several years straight...

... with keyboard.

That habit carried over to DMC4. I can never play DMC games with gamepad because I'm just used to holding space to lock on, W+Space+J to stinger, so on and so on. I bought the HD collection and tried to play DMC3 with gamepad, it just felt incredibly weird to my muscle memory. So I went back to keyboard, beat the game on Dante Must Die, feel gud. Now I'm ready to pull devil trigger in march :positive:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy. Played each game about 70 times, I play it every 3 months, at this point I don't even know if I even love it anymore...

It's the game that married story and gameplay together to form a cohesive game. Also one of the first 3d games I played.

After that my fav. is the first Gothic and maybe DMC3. Also F.E.A.R for shooters.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords.

My avatar is from the game too...

Aemar

Arcane
Mount&Blade: Warband, a game that can easily be described using only one word: epic. One of the most successful stories in the video game industry.

Onionguy

Educated
Thief: The Dark Project

There will never be a better game.
I am right now in a process of building my personal Thief shrine.
I will place it in the shadiest corner of my room.
It will be a place of intimate and thoughtful contemplation.
I only need that triangular, big box, first issue of Dark Project.
Every day, I prey to Trickster to let me buy it cheaply on Ebay
But then, maybe I will just steal it......

Barbalos

Savant
I think with the nostalgia influence, I'll say Dungeon Keeper. Loved that game. RIP Bullfrog.

filpan

Scholar
Picking only one is tough. Let me give you my top 3 on PC:

Half-Life
Baldur's Gate II
Deus Ex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom