Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Yeah i know what you mean, i restarted just for that. Dragunovs for everyone. Later on full auto if needed

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Whomever took the decision to base everything in the game on Fallout 1, including the completely and utterly useless CNPC/party controls, should be beaten with a stick.

Sometimes they just run headlong into combat, instead of firing, only to in turn be mowed down by their comrade with a shotgun. It's like hearding cats, except with cats you at least get cuddles at some point. It's more like hearding tumbleweeds made out of razors through Minefield F8.
Only mental people play fallout games and ATOM with companions. Just run solo!

Unwanted

Товарищ

Unwanted
Riddle me this, why is the SKS rolling 36 damage vs unarmored enemies on regular hits where its base damage is 11-19...

Why is there no rope anywhere near the Forrest...

Mortmal

Arcane
Holy shit, this game is addictive. Can't remember having this much fun in a game since forever.

And I agree with Luckmann, Peregon was a pretty big disappointment. I was expecting to refill my ammo and other stuff there, but when i arrived, there was just a bunch of tents, a cook and some pissed off merchants selling junk. Couldn't get a single bullet there, I always have to visit that bitch in the big city with ridiculous prices or hope i get some from a passing caravan. Add some merchants in Peregon since it's been advertised as the biggest commercial place, yet I can only buy some junk no one needs. Can't even sell anything as merchants there are piss poor anyway.
Indeed for a commercial hub there was not much to do, that would be the perfect place to get a gaz mask too or hazmat suit, spent hours in the wastes and never got one. Yet i absolutely need one to proceed in the story.

Okagron

Prophet
I definitely agree that gas masks and hazmat suits need to appear more often. I can't fix the generator to clear the poison air in the Death Tunnel, so i need a gas mask to go through the poison areas. So, around 25 hours and haven't gotten a single gas mask or a single merchant selling one and getting to the perk that makes immune to poison is pretty much a no go at this point, unless i wait around 10 levels to reach it, or i kill one of the garbage collectors that randomly show up in the world map.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I love how the first words of the HK33 describes it as a "submachine gun", but it is classified as an automatic weapon.

Are the developers aware of what "SMG" means?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hm looks like the dog is a good source of easy ruble if you visit the dog arena at Peregon.
There's no way the dog can lose here with armor equipped. If you want to be more confident, just make it drink alcohol and eat onions pre-fight.

krilcebre

Learned
Holy shit, RPK 74 melts faces. It cost me an arm and a leg, but when the situation is tight, it takes most of the opponents in a single burst. Great "oh shit" weapon!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hm looks like the dog is a good source of easy ruble if you visit the dog arena at Peregon.
There's no way the dog can lose here with armor equipped. If you want to be more confident, just make it drink alcohol and eat onions pre-fight.
  1. Where do you get armor for your dog?
  2. You monster.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I went 1/1/3/11/11/10 with Diplomat/Lucky one. Got to lvl 5/6 by just talking, didnt fire a single bullet. Raised speech and barter to 130, sold all the random garbage to truck caravans for a proper price and bought some proper weapons. Killed the bugs around Otradnoye, learned entomologist and fished until i got the fish for +1 in dex.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

razvedchiki

Erudite
i restarted with 5/4/10/8/8/7/1 diplomat-lone wolf,my earlier attempts always had hobby engineer but i didnt fing tech/tinkering particularly usefull(up until roaring forest).

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey hey hey guys! Proper replies to everyone coming soon (maybe today) currently I only have time to address this post because we're bugfixing the BBQ joint currently!

Also, on the topic of the BBQ joint and settling politics:
Is there no way to deal with the leader of the traders and the leader of the guards, after finding out that they were involved with the BBQ-slavers, after you've settled the politics, without aggroing fucking everyone? When resolving the politics, you have the opportunity of silently killing them, but after resolving it peacefully and then showing up with the evidence that they were involved with the BBQ-slavers, it seems you can't actually do anything at all other than having a huge shoot-out. I can't even tell the Harbormaster guy.

I must say, so far, Peregon is incredibly unsatisfying.
Quoting myself here, because I've found a related bug (ping Atomboy):
After very much not killing the two faction leaders in Peregon, upon handing the BBQ quest in to the postman in Krasnoz, he asks me what they looked like when they died, and all my responses assume that they did. But I never did kill them.

Really, currently, the game seems to assume that you're supposed to do the BBQ quest prior to resolving the politics in Peregon, and then kill the major players as part of the quest to resolve the politics, but given that you can only resolve the BBQ quest in Peregon through a very specific action (tricking the BBQ slavers into leaving, through a dialogue choice unlocked by <???>), that's one hell of an assumption, and if you don't do it like that, you seem to be SOL.
I've postponed handing the quest in, hoping that it'll be fixed in a patch.
Observations: Merchants sometimes have weapons for sale, and often, these weapons have ammo inside of them. You can unload weapons in the merchant inventory, allowing you to either buy cheaper weapons or to just buy the ammo (which is what I do, because at this point, ammo is a more reliable currency).
You can always craft your own weapons and ammo. I'm still in the begining, but I'm already using a custom rifle with a sight that is really effective. The ammo (zip rounds, shot rounds) are easier to make.
In my case, it's not an issue of getting ammo, but rather of getting rid of stuff. The reason I'm treating ammo as currency is because it's light-weight and worth a lot, whereas nobody has enough rubles to actually give me cash for all the trash I'm hauling. Mind you, they don't have enough ammo, either, but it's something, at least.

Can you please elaborate on what you think was a bug here? I read this post several times but I don't quite get what you mean. The BBQ quest isn't supposed to have any connection with the Peregon power struggle quest. You just find the names of some of the politicians on a piece of paper in the BBQ joint basement and if these leaders are still alive you can try to extract some money for that list. That's all. When the postal dude asks you "what they looked like when they died" he is talking about the BBQ owners, not the Peregon politicians. You don't have to resolve the politician quest to resolve the BBQ quest and vice versa. But you say the game is making you do it? How? I ran a few tests, and the quests really aren't linked in any way.

Edit: Here is how it supposed to go. There's a weird Postal dude in Krasnoznamenny who screams that lamb chops are made out of people. When you talk to him he tells you of two guys who run a popular BBQ shack in Peregon. If you go to Peregon you can trick the guys into leaving the map, then you get into the shack, but when you get out these guys confront you, so you kill them. When you do, you go back to Krasnoznamenny and tell the postal dude "I killed the BBQ owners". He goes "What did the BBQ owners look like as you killed them?". Then he hands you some money and walks away all mysterious like.

So on what step did you get the politician killing thing? Or maybe you misread the dialogue and there is no bug? Thanks for the help anyway!

I'll get back to answer other posts soon!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Does anyone here knows more about the developers involved? I can't find any information about them.
You mean DOX or previous industry experience? If the latter - our kickstarter page has that stuff!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg

Whomever took the decision to base everything in the game on Fallout 1, including the completely and utterly useless CNPC/party controls, should be beaten with a stick.

Sometimes they just run headlong into combat, instead of firing, only to in turn be mowed down by their comrade with a shotgun. It's like hearding cats, except with cats you at least get cuddles at some point. It's more like hearding tumbleweeds made out of razors through Minefield F8.
I don't know, man. Honestly, nothing but "sorry" comes to mind. I can't tell why you and some other players get this experience. It doesn't suppose to happen, our testers don't get it. Even I don't get it when I play! But some do. Sorry for being tedious, but are you sure you're like... giving them weapons, giving them ammo, telling them not to melee, pick targets \ position for them, talk to them via dialogue to manage distance? Seriously, whenever I get a message about them shooting each other, or getting stuck, or running around, I honestly want to help out, but I can't, because they are not supposed to act like that if controlled properly! It's like a curse! A rogue line of code somewhere that messes up an actually not so bad combat system :\\ A patch coming out in a few days might solve it, since a lot of combat will be reworked in it, but still, sorry you're experiencing this stuff :(

The dog sadly, was powerful early, nowadays he is only good for fightinh rats and insects. No armor, no weapons.
I have seen some dog armour and weapons in the shops.

Does anyone knows how the shop items are restricted? Are they level based or what?
They are basically random with caravans and some vendors. Other vendors though, pick from a pool of allowed items. But these are mostly vegetable salespeople.

I got that SKV rifle thing that cost 6000 with 17-25 damage. equipped dear hexagon with it, he became death machine fast.

Fidel with the lenin chainsaw is pretty badass too.

The dog sadly, was powerful early, nowadays he is only good for fightinh rats and insects. No armor, no weapons.
It can have armor!
4oSdAGK.png

:despair:

There's a weapons vendor, a blind woman. I forget her name at the moment.
Well then I'm going to need some help, because I can't fucking find her anywhere. I've been over this place four times now.

Gonna fix it!!

Also, on your post about Peregon that I read yesterday! The weapon salesmen tend to appear after politics are resolved. When making Peregon, we basically imagined The Hub when it was still a little baby Hub! Just making its first steps. However, there's a lot of stuff in there if you search around the ship and in the camp grounds! There are also quests that make certain NPCs appear there. We might be adding more later on.

I got the impression that they used photos instead of NPC portraits? If that is true, I hope it will become a hallmark of the genre. It frees the developers to create a more lively world and it’s more efficient and economic.

Well, we actually draw portraits from the photos of living people, like Kovalev in Otradnoye, but since it's a long process for our artist we use stock photos as placeholders in some places. But after some time they will all be portraits drawn from pics.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Game makes fun of "cults", also makes fun of those who stand again official science (conspirology).

But they cant hide Truth, no matter what.

Vrab

Learned
If you decide to do any kind of ability tree redesign, you should do something about the melee part of it. Number of abilities is huge, far greater than for much more useful automatic weapons or rifles, and end result of that huge investment is meh.

Speaking of which, what does that thing do that says you get +2HP when your health drops below 50%? Dog gets the same thing. Is it literally 2 hp heal? It's a bit too deep in to try out, but from the description it seems totally useless.

Also, is it out of the question to change point system to one pick per x levels? Say every other level?

Btw really good way of discouraging caravan raiding you got there. Digging my own grave was an interesting experience. Although it says I'm left with basically nothing, while in fact much of what I had was on the ground nearby. Quest items, that's fine of course, but many other things too. All the money, equipped items and many other things were really gone though.

Vrab

Learned
The weapon salesmen tend to appear after politics are resolved.

I haven't seen the blind woman ever have a single weapon to offer. Is it connected to difficulty setting? I'm about to get there on normal and will see if so, last one was expert. Or maybe there are others I missed?

The trader in Otradnoye is also introduced as a gun salesman, but has no guns for sale until bit later in the game. This is same on expert and normal.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the deal with using pictures of actors(such as the guy from Iron Fist) in the portraits? Aren't there laws forbidding you guys from doing this?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Can you please elaborate on what you think was a bug here? I read this post several times but I don't quite get what you mean. The BBQ quest isn't supposed to have any connection with the Peregon power struggle quest. You just find the names of some of the politicians on a piece of paper in the BBQ joint basement and if these leaders are still alive you can try to extract some money for that list. That's all. When the postal dude asks you "what they looked like when they died" he is talking about the BBQ owners, not the Peregon politicians. You don't have to resolve the politician quest to resolve the BBQ quest and vice versa. But you say the game is making you do it? How? I ran a few tests, and the quests really aren't linked in any way.

Edit: Here is how it supposed to go. There's a weird Postal dude in Krasnoznamenny who screams that lamb chops are made out of people. When you talk to him he tells you of two guys who run a popular BBQ shack in Peregon. If you go to Peregon you can trick the guys into leaving the map, then you get into the shack, but when you get out these guys confront you, so you kill them. When you do, you go back to Krasnoznamenny and tell the postal dude "I killed the BBQ owners". He goes "What did the BBQ owners look like as you killed them?". Then he hands you some money and walks away all mysterious like.

So on what step did you get the politician killing thing? Or maybe you misread the dialogue and there is no bug? Thanks for the help anyway!
My sincerest apologies. I had apparently mixed up "Anton" and "Ivan", as referenced by the postman upon handing in the quest, with
Nikolai Siplovsky (the leader of the guards) and Lyonya Abramov (the leader of the merchants). This is probably because I can't understand how the postman referenced the names of two people he has no reason to know by name (whereas the two others are influential people you can be assumed to have told him about, since you now have the ledger). Hell, I'm pretty sure *I* didn't know the names of the two BBQ-slavers were Anton and Ivan.

So it's not a bug, just a (to me) odd situation combined with me not paying attention or something.

That being said, I still think it's weird that you cannot do anything (that I have discovered) about Nikolai Siplovsky and Lyonya Abramov, if you've resolved the politics and acquired the BBQ-slaver ledger. It just feels like it should lead to something other than an all-out shoot-out. If I hadn't finished the politics quest yet, I would've been able to kill them silently as part of that quest. I feel like I should be able to tell someone other than the Postman about what was going on, such as the harbormaster, which might prompt a quest to kill them anyway, even if the politics quest was already peacefully resolved.

I dunno.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
OK, I think there's a bug with Dr. Mikoyan - after asking for his help to treat a patient, he returns to his shop but his store inventory never has any medical supplies. I visited him days and weeks later and he still does not carry and medical supplies.

Also Atomboy , I would not dismiss Luckmann complaint that easily because this shit happens:

Can you point out what could've been done to avoid friendly fire in that video? I really can't see how to avoid that.
My party members always move first in combat, and they take shots when everyone is not in optimal positions. It really cannot be avoided.

Anyway with DEX 6 - I have very low Sequence, so my solution is this: equip the soviet army knife or machete that gives +5 Sequence. This lets me move before Hax and Fidel. The turn order will go from Me, Hax and Fidel. So it's entirely possible to move Hax prior to him ventilating Fidel or any friendly by accident.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom