Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Whiskeyjack

Learned
With this and the Battle Brothers expansion, I'll have plenty to do over the next few months. Oh shit... and the Xenonauts beta releases the week after next too.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
So I've spent some time with this. There needs to be some balancing and economic tweaks, but holy shit it's awesome. Theres a semblance of a main quest now, colonies are awesome (perhaps too awesome but balancing will come), and this game just rules so much.

I still personally suck as a pilot and pretty much use like the fourth most powerful ship in my fleet as my flagship (I need to get gud).

Only thing "missing" that I'd like to see is some expansion + consequential wars between the main factions (I'm assuming Nexrelian will add it when its updated).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I still personally suck as a pilot
why bother :avatard:
Only time I've felt like I did a significantly better job than the AI was piloting a frigate with antimatter blasters to overload otherwise tanky ships that couldn't fathom having me dump 3k damage into them at once. Any kind of sustained dogfight and the AI will wreck you with superior movement and shield usage.

Skdursh

Savant
I took a peak at the website, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Does this game have dialog at all?

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I took a peak at the website, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Does this game have dialog at all?
I mean, there are some conversations (in bars and shit), but this is more "Mount and Blade in space!" than anything with a lot of dialogue and story. Frankly this should be in the tactics forum, but the Codex is stupid like that.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I still personally suck as a pilot
why bother :avatard:
Only time I've felt like I did a significantly better job than the AI was piloting a frigate with antimatter blasters to overload otherwise tanky ships that couldn't fathom having me dump 3k damage into them at once. Any kind of sustained dogfight and the AI will wreck you with superior movement and shield usage.
I hear that the Gryphon (missile cruiser) is the one ship that's kind of easy to pilot as the player that the AI doesn't do well (just Sabots + anti-armor missiles and you can apparently clear most cruiser+cap ships).

I watch some Youtube videos and they're out there wrecking shit with phase destroyers and killing Paragons and shit and meanwhile I go head to head with a fucking Hammerhead and lose half of my hull.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, there are some conversations (in bars and shit), but this is more "Mount and Blade in space!" than anything with a lot of dialogue and story. Frankly this should be in the tactics forum, but the Codex is stupid like that.
To be fair, there is a ton of story baked into things like planet descriptions and ship logs, just very little talking.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now there is also tutorial and story missions but to be honest Commissar Captain Draco is busy building his space colony the first seed of Stellar Russian Empire. The Comrade Developer also added Legion in XIV Dominion of Man colors can't wait to afford it.

:bounce:

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
About player vs. AI dogfights:

As many of you have noticed, the AI is excellent at managing its shields and flux dissipation, and will for example pulse its shields off and on to take kinetic hits on its armor (which resists kinetic) rather than on its shields (which are weak to kinetic). The developer actually built in a minuscule delay preceding all AI actions of that type to give players a better chance at circumventing robot-perfect reflexes.

However, the AI doesn't handle burst damage as well as continuous; it can also be tricked in various ways that are hard to describe verbatim but that you'll learn after a couple of dozen battles and, importantly, a bunch of even-match 1 vs. 1 (cruiser vs. cruiser etc.) simulator testing runs using various builds. This is easier later on when you have access to a variety of ships and weapons.

tindrli

Arcane
well this is truly AWESOME game.it looks like M&B in space and it is on 0.9 for several months and i just started.. it has everything am hooked as fuck.
the one thing among others that i didn't get is weapons selection when using auto refit. SInce im still learning im confused why AI sometimes prefer obviously low stat weapons. to be honest game would certainly be better if developers implement some kind of compare item screen at least that's my opinion.. and i suck at combat as well but its GREAT!!!

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I have had this on my radar for years, but progress has been slow. I ended up backing Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls instead, but it seems like that is taking forever as well. Anyone played both and can advise which is most advanced?

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally got a seed with Terran planet right in middle of Core words and have enough credits to develop her. Would post screenshots here but my application catches only black screens; so I am in 3rd year of campaign build myself Onslaught XIX, found Legion XIV i finally have space shekels to restore and enough ships to make expeditions to further reaches of sector; anything worth playing after the point? I am not too fond of mods adding additional factions cause most of them add those boring plastic looking modern ships. Only added ship and weapons cause it add additional XIV and Sindarian Dick-tat Ships and they did not clash with vanilla much.

Commissar Draco

Patron
i dont know im im playing vanila and i was gona ask if someone can recomend some mods

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

Pick library first (all needed for other mods to work) then utility mods you want and then from miscellaneous:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11018.0

EasKCcu.png

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12041.0
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.0

Those tree which work even if you add them after game start Comrade:
MN-5732982767517768886

The Seed Commissar uses, most mod factions add planets and hence change seed so its why better start without them, save and then add what you need Comrade.

tindrli

Arcane
i dont know im im playing vanila and i was gona ask if someone can recomend some mods

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

Pick library first (all needed for other mods to work) then utility mods you want and then from miscellaneous:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11018.0

EasKCcu.png

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12041.0
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.0

Those tree which work even if you add them after game start Comrade:
MN-5732982767517768886

The Seed Commissar uses, most mod factions add planets and hence change seed so its why better start without them, save and then add what you need Comrade.

So mr. Draco can you just confirm one more time if i got this correctly those 3 modsm work together without conflicts?
[0.9a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.8.0
[0.9.0a] Unknown Skies v0.31 (2018/12/13)
[0.9a] Arsenal Expansion v1.5.3 - Systems
i have those libraries allready. 3 of them Graphic, lazy, and magic.
and sugeested seed with those 3 is
MN-5732982767517768886
i will try it ASAP but i must mentioned that first time im dooing great
Unintentionally i get to that Qoras pirate base in Yma star system. and i was lucky because that place was falling apart. anyway in matter of days i got 3 missions from same base, 500 fuel, 500 supplies and 340 recreational drugs for whooping 380.000!!!! i took it and i made it god damn. pirates hate me but i used that gate close to base, turned of transponder and went all dark. a damn persean league patrol appeared from nowhere and i had to use emergency burst which made my go dark off but lucky pirates didnt recognise me on first sight and for a first time im having 500K on my account and i just fully restored Apogee Cruiser and Dominator Heavy cruiser

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
ok i screwed up. i builded a colony with only 500K in bank and suddenly im having -69.000 monthly. since i recklessly start to build everything on my colony im now on 15K in bank and its end of a month.. fuck... will not build any more colonies until i have 1 million at least

Commissar Draco

Patron
ok i screwed up. i builded a colony with only 500K in bank and suddenly im having -69.000 monthly. since i recklessly start to build everything on my colony im now on 15K in bank and its end of a month.. fuck... will not build any more colonies until i have 1 million at least

Yes should not be in debt if you built the colony
on the terran planet located in orange star system in the center of core world. Consider also to do the tutorial as it gives you stipend from Ancyra for two first years and take the commission which combined should give you enough allowance credits to pay crew salaries and buy fuel and supplies and also never build full fledged colonies on planets with hazard rating above 150% even if the resources are abundant. Commissar Novorossija has net profit of 220 000 but Commissar put all the points onto Colony management and fuel and supplies conservation first. Putting 2 points in safety operations is good too cause it reduced the damage and readiness loss from coronas and warp storms and gives you solar shielding which again reduces those maluses Comrade.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can anyone compare this to Space Rangers 2? (Or X3?)

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Starsector is its own sort of game. There's nothing else out there quite like it. Primarily, new colony system aside, it's a fleet composition and tactics game with a side dish of logistics in which you issue commands to an increasingly large/powerful fleet in order to win battles against increasingly large/powerful enemy fleets. With mods, or once v1.0 is finally finished, you can also engage in political alliances and factional warfare and take or lose territory.

Considering you're too dumb to appreciate Factorio, I'm not sure if this game is quite your speed, but it's nothing like X3 or Space Rangers 2. Aside from tootling around on the starmap to explore and get from one place to another, "fleet combat" is the only true gameplay mode, but it's a very well realized one.

track02

Novice
Bought this years ago and keep forgetting I own it until I see it mentioned
I loved the combat and ship outfitting last time I played a few years ago but remember finding it a massive chore to keep supplies/fuel stocked up as they'd run out so quickly, has that system changed at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom