Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

ADL

Prophet
Not ESRGAN but the KoW texture pack got rebranded and it doesn't come with an obscene download size/system requirements anymore

Description
This mod consists of 8000+ vanilla based Sprites and Textures!

What is D.R.E.A.M?
Daggerfall Remaster Enchanted Art Mod

What is new in D.R.E.A.M?
Packed in a selectable DFMOD archives
Improved Sprites and Graphics in general - Commoners, MOBs, NPCs, Portraits, Sprites, HUD
New building windows night/day emission maps
Extended animation frames count where possible
Imported higher res Daggerfall sources from internet archives
Reverted some HUD icons back to vanilla style
New Spellbook, Travel menu tab
Significantly reduced download size (640mb)
Faster loading & less RAM/VRAM needed
General optimalization and polish
..and much more!!
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168

ADL

Prophet
Happy New Year everyone! It’s great to be here in 2019 at last. This will be the year that Daggerfall Unity steps out of pre-alpha into alpha, and reaches feature parity with classic Daggerfall. If you haven’t seen the Roadmap page lately, it’s time to take another look. There aren’t too many items left now and no major systems remain to be developed. Everything that’s still to do is just a small part of an otherwise finished system. Even the Quest System and Effect System roadmap pages are looking very green these days.

With a busy end to 2018, I didn’t make time to put up change notes for the Live Builds released on 20 December 2018. I think its a good idea to address these changes before dropping the next release, or solid contributions from our developers aren’t going properly credited. Let’s start with the highlights of new features from 0.6.1 Stable and 0.7.2 builds. I’ve tagged anything introduced in 0.7.2 with [0.7].
https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-unity-0-6-1-stable-0-7-2-combined-releases/

Luzur

Good Sir
Happy New Year everyone! It’s great to be here in 2019 at last. This will be the year that Daggerfall Unity steps out of pre-alpha into alpha, and reaches feature parity with classic Daggerfall. If you haven’t seen the Roadmap page lately, it’s time to take another look. There aren’t too many items left now and no major systems remain to be developed. Everything that’s still to do is just a small part of an otherwise finished system. Even the Quest System and Effect System roadmap pages are looking very green these days.

With a busy end to 2018, I didn’t make time to put up change notes for the Live Builds released on 20 December 2018. I think its a good idea to address these changes before dropping the next release, or solid contributions from our developers aren’t going properly credited. Let’s start with the highlights of new features from 0.6.1 Stable and 0.7.2 builds. I’ve tagged anything introduced in 0.7.2 with [0.7].
https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-unity-0-6-1-stable-0-7-2-combined-releases/

Highlights
Hanging Mode for Advanced Climbing [0.7] [Meteoric Dragon]
Upgrades to the optional Advanced Climbing system allows skilled climbers to hang from ceilings and eaves, and climb around on ceilings. This rounds out the other Advanced Climbing features such as sideways movement on walls and climbing around corners.

direct link to gfy

AI Obstacle & Fall Avoidance [Allofich]
Enemy mobiles have learned a few new tricks, and it’s a bit harder to trap them on the environment now. In addition to moving around static and dynamic obstacles, they’re smart enough not to walk off high places. While this isn’t perfect yet, it’s still a big improvement over classic AI. In other news, enemy AI is now capable of bashing open locked doors to reach the player!

direct link to gfy

Personal Light Sources [Hazelnut]
If you enable “item based player torch” in startup settings > Advanced > Enhancements, you can finally make use of those lanterns, torches, and candles in General Stores. Lanterns and torches can be refuelled using oil, also found in General Stores. If you make dungeons darker with the ambient light settings on the same Enhancements page, this adds a nice RP touch to dungeon delving. It can be quite tense knowing you’re running out of lantern oil and about to be lost in the dark.

Potions [0.7] [Hazelnut]
This is a big one! All potion recipes and effects are now supported in game, along with the crafting UI to make them. As a Daggerfall Unity quality of life feature, like-kind potion will stack.

Change Notes
Combined change notes for 0.6.1 Stable and 0.7.2 follow. I’ve sorted by author this time rather than tag each item individually.

Allofich

• Fix for imported classic characters levelling up on every rest
  • Fix AI trying to open locked doors, and player will not see “door is locked” for AI
  • Fix castle guards detecting unseen foes
  • Fix for enemy motor falling too quickly
  • Fix preventing magic/bow use
  • Fix for running skill increasing too quickly
  • Fix guards spawning in dungeons
  • Fix aquatic enemies spawning out of water
  • Fix exception when talking to some NPCs
  • Fix to up/down swimming exploit when player over-encumbered
  • Fix for being stuck in crouch in water
  • Fix for magic item rewards
  • Implemented initial AI obstacle avoidance
  • Enhanced enemy AI will now attempt to bash down locked doors to path to player (horrifying!)
  • Fall avoidance for enemy AI
  • Multiple enemy AI fixes
  • Implement mobile NPC guards in towns
  • Ambient sounds and water effects now use a random 3D position around player
Hazelnut

• Fixes to trade window interface
  • Fix politic index for Alik’r Desert
  • Fix missing transition event for dungeons
  • Fix searching for undiscovered locations from notebook
  • Fix arrow materials being assigned when they should not be
  • Ability to register custom activations to individual models using their ID
  • Book costs now calculated like classic
  • Light sources such as lanterns and candles can now be equipped and refuelled
  • Initial potion support with effects, stacking, and potion maker integration [0.7]
Pango

• Fix for certain world objects not being cleaned up properly
  • Fix for foliage billboards not casting shadows in afternoon
  • Fix volume scale of horse (affecting Tedious Travel mod)
  • Fix for spell purchasing window closing when clicking Buy button
  • Fix level-up display issue in enhanced vitals indicators
  • Fix modern conversation style setting not persisted
  • Fix debuff blinking
  • Fix trying to sleep while levitating
  • Fix for item weight precision errors
  • Stack splitting
  • Player will now spawn on correct side of location after fast travel (relative to source point)
  • Can always put arrows in cart
  • Sound effects can now support delayed loaded
  • Ogg songs can now be streamed from disk
  • Add mousewheel support to books [0.7]
  • Clicking scroller trough now scrolls by one page in many interfaces [0.7]
TheLacus

• Fix exception when no preset is selected [0.7]
  • Fix modding NPCs blinking on and off [0.7]
  • Support for spells casting animation texture replacement [0.7]
  • Improvements to FPSWeapon modding [0.7]
  • Import textures for BillboardBatch atlas from mods [0.7]
  • Several smaller fixes and refinements to modding system [0.7]
Lypyl

• Fix for “help” command in console overflowing text buffer
  • Fix for NEW models not being added as action doors [0.7]
  • Fix for city locations disappearing [0.7]
  • Travel map window state now part of save games
Nystul

• Fix hotkey collision for exterior automap
  • Improvements and fixes to fog system [0.7]
  • New experimental INI setting “TerrainHeightmapPixelError”, reducing this improves terrain resolution at distance [0.7]
Numidium

• Fix proficiency flags being added to custom classes
  • Fix social group reaction adjustment
  • Fix for talk menu becoming unresponsive
  • Group reputations are now serialized with player
  • Only flash crosshair twice after selecting location [0.7]
Interkarma

• Fix “magery” Place selection for “guard the mages guild” quest
  • Fix specific spell readiness and load game concurrency issues
  • Fix loss of building discovery state in saves
  • Fix certain message boxes opening and closing instantly (e.g. guild promotions, shop flavour text)
  • Fix “give item” not removing item from player inventory
  • Fix null entity target exception
  • Fix version text not showing – now only displays on pause menu not across entire UI [0.7]
  • Fix fog shaders not being included in builds [0.7]
  • Magic rounds are now synced to game minutes, so effects will expire correctly during fast travel or rest
  • M0B00Y16 (Giant Killing) – Revenge wave of giants now only spawn in target dungeon
  • Allow HUD toggle with LeftShift+F10
  • Implement “cast effect do” quest action, an effect-specific variant of “cast spell do”
  • Add “saying nnnn” support to GetItem quest action
  • Added additional guild support for quests
  • Start work on vampire support, currently only available from console for testing [0.7]
  • Trigger actions can now fire spells at player [0.7]
  • Disable collider on empty corpse containers once clicked on, preventing corpses from blocking quest objects
Meteoric Dragon

• Upgrades and fixes to advanced climing, including new hanging mode for climbing ceilings and eaves [0.7]
  • Note: Advanced climbing upgrades are still a WIP and include some new bugs to be resolved

That’s it for now! A new release will be available soon with a whole new round of fixes and new content.

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

Deleted Member 16721

I'd like to play this someday. Is this game a game where visiting all of those small cities is actually feasible and possibly worthwhile? Can you just wander in the wilderness and find dungeons with cool loot and tough enemies, or a dungeon with easier enemies, any types of ruins, tombs, etc.?

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
More or less. Luzur, that first image doesn't look quite right (lower left of helm from our point of view). Incorrect rendering priority with the base character model, perhaps?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The landmass is much too large and empty for casual wandering. You will have to fast travel everywhere.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

I mean, like finding unique dungeons or points of interest, or enemy encounters? Or is the landmass so large that you rarely stumble on dungeons or things out in the wilds?
From what I remember of my research, enemy encounters and general "points of interest" are easy enough to find. But anything super worthwhile like a dungeon, mainline story area, or town ain't happening without fast travel. Not unless you enjoy actual weeks and months of manual walking.

Funposter

Arcane
The landmass is much too large and empty for casual wandering. You will have to fast travel everywhere.
Yes, and all but main quest dungeons are randomly generated. The interesting parts of the game are typically happening inside dungeons. Running into an Ancient Vampire at Level 2 and having to avoid it somehow as you navigate an area. Defeating an Orc Warlord on your last point of HP. Making a Lich blow itself up etc.

McPlusle

Savant
In the meantime, is DOS Daggerfall functional enough to be worth playing as anything more than a curiosity?

Deleted Member 16721

So can you at least walk from City to city or town to town? With a map that big it's got to be an interesting game in some way, right?

Funposter

Arcane
In the meantime, is DOS Daggerfall functional enough to be worth playing as anything more than a curiosity?

Daggerfall Setup works perfectly fine and comes packaged with a few extra faction quests from the CompUSA patch as well as the Eye of Argonia add-on to double the view distance. The controls can be setup to be fairly modern, and it's stable enough that I think I only suffered one or two crashes across maybe twenty hours of play on my last playthrough. I absolutely think that it's worth playing thanks to the in-depth character creation, the quality of the dungeon crawling (if you're able to appreciate it), and in general for being quite cool from a technological sense. It's actually a good game, and I'd argue it holds up a lot better than many games from 1996. You can get the all-in-one installer here - https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

So can you at least walk from City to city or town to town? With a map that big it's got to be an interesting game in some way, right?
Yes, you can, but the map is entirely procedurally generated and the heightmaps are so unvaried that the game is mostly flat. Daggerfall Unity does fix the heightmap issue iirc, which makes the landscapes more interesting, but it's not like any of it has been designed. There aren't even roads. It's a procedurally generated game, the size of Great Britain, from 1996. What do you think it's going to be like?

ADL

Prophet
You've already waited this long and we're in the final stretch for 1:1 parity with retail. The mods are already starting to pile up, I'd hate to play the game without the archeologist faction and the dangerous exteriors mod.

I'd definitely miss a lot of the QoL features that Unity added too. Just wait another six months.

Deleted Member 16721

If you can walk to town and find dungeons and encounters I don't think walking around would be that bad, at least not in short bursts. It could add immersion to travel from town to town, hit a dungeon here or there and see what the new town has in store for you. You could spend endless hours exploring this game, saving fast travel for when it's needed (which would be quite a lot, but still.)

Funposter

Arcane
If you can walk to town and find dungeons and encounters I don't think walking around would be that bad, at least not in short bursts. It could add immersion to travel from town to town

You are underestimating how large the map is, and how barren the landscape is. Please download the game, try to do this for even five minutes, and then get back to me. What you're saying is utterly foolish and you look like a moron to anyone that has played Daggerfall or watched footage of it for even a short amount of time.

Deleted Member 16721

You are underestimating how large the map is, and how barren the landscape is. Please download the game, try to do this for even five minutes, and then get back to me. What you're saying is utterly foolish and you look like a moron to anyone that has played Daggerfall or watched footage of it for even a short amount of time.

You just told me a post ago you can walk from town to town and it's not too bad. Someone else said they could find dungeons easy enough. I don't really care that much but it seems like an interesting game that I'll try sometime.

Funposter

Arcane

You just told me a post ago you can walk from town to town and it's not too bad. Someone else said they could find dungeons easy enough. I don't really care that much but it seems like an interesting game that I'll try sometime.

I said that DF Unity fixes the height maps to make the landscape less flat. Objectively and quantifiably, this makes it more interesting, but it doesn't make it good or worth doing.

This is what walking across Daggerfall is actually like. Enjoy watching all 14 parts. He bumps into a ruin at 1hr50mins and that's about it.

Deleted Member 16721

How many dungeons are in the game and how do you find them if you don't explore at all?

Deleted Member 16721

It looks like dungeons are marked on the map. That's pretty cool. Is there ever anything worthwhile in breaking into people's houses to steal or is it all the same stuff?

Funposter

Arcane
Dungeons are placed on the map by your quest giver, which then allows you to fast travel to them. You can also discover new locations by finding map items, which when used will reveal the location of a new dungeon. By default, the only dungeons available on the player's map for a given region are crypts and graveyards, which are small dungeons of about 2-5 rooms (think ancestral tombs from Morrowind). Your main interaction with the crypts is mainly at the very start of the game, when you do a quick loop of raiding them in order to get some experience and cash before tackling proper quests, which have a tendency to be long and tough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom