Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I play JA2 1.13?

opium fiend

Augur
Ok, so far it's bad. Omerta battle was fun and challenging (compared to usual Omerta action), but a patrol of 16 yellows kicked my ass. My IMP and a couple of crappy mercs were no match for the zerg swarm. So I decided to reload and evade them, invading Drassen. That was a riot, greeted by a committee of black elites. Maybe I just suck, but there's no way to Iron Man on insane. Back to expert. I hope it's tougher than vanilla expert, but not fuck you tough like INSANE.

opium fiend

Augur
Is it normal that your merc gets to lvl 5 after conquering Drassen? I forgot, but I think you only got to 3 in vanilla.

whatevername

Arcane
I'm not sure about this... didn't raising explosives from 0 to 99 by planting a mine also let you get 1-2 levels? If that's right a cap of 3 wouldn't make sense.

Which mods/ways can make the game harder than insane?
I already played insane with:
solo IMP
IMP + free mercs only
IMP + retards only
IMP + mercs wihtout gear, "Enemy at the Gates" style (shoot & pass 1 gun around till you find some pistols)

opium fiend

Augur
Me again. Firing the game up again and I have some questions about certain features, namely: improved interrupt system, inv manipulation costing AP and food for mercs. What are your thoughts on them? Inv manipulation costing AP makes sense but it does make the game harder, no idea what improved interrupt system is (it's off by default) and food sounds cool in theory.

Also, how do I capture the enemy soldiers? Except for beating them uncoscious and cuffing them, I heard there's a feature of offering them to surrender but I can't find the hotkey or whatever.

Any other tips that come to your mind even about things I didn't ask about are more than welcome.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
1.13 doesn't dumb down the AI, claiming that is ludicrous. It gives the AI more options to do, which sometimes leads the AI to do stupid shit, but for the most part it is perfectly functionable.

You're not supposed to stand and fight when outnumbered. It's now how it works in real life either - you kill 1-3 enemies, disengage, get some distance and run another ambush in another part of the sector - rinse & repeat. Quite a common problem for people seem to be that they park their mercs in one spot and then duke it out with the enemy. That generally worked in vanilla but not so in 1.13.

opium fiend

Augur
HI! me again, deciding it's finally the time to finish this wonderful game and execute the queen. I wanna do UB as well. Is 1.13 compatible with UB? I read different opinions

Sykar

Arcane
Heck go for it then.
The Drassen take over may go smoothly at first, but the subsequent attack will not get easier.
Deidranna is really seriously out to kill you all.

She is even more serious about "telling" Elliot that he is an idiot.
latest

:troll:

Dux

Arcane
Yes, I completed it. Basically I installed some kind of makeshift solution from a forum somewhere which allowed me to use the inventory improvements from 1.13 as well as the widescreen resolution. The downside was that the 1.13 user interface could not be used properly with UB which left the UI looking weird and half-finished. I think there were other 1.13 features which were also missing. It's quite some time ago I played it so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I believe there is supposed to be a proper 1.13 UB version somewhere out there but I think it's been buried and forgotten. UB just isn't that popular for people to care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom