Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The Outer Worlds might be an interesting test. If you make a game which looks kind of like a Bethesda RPG, plays kind of like a Bethesda RPG, and is directly marketed towards Bethesda RPG fans, but isn't actually open world, will they still like it? How crucial is the open-worldness, really?
Should be crucial. Bethesda fans are into virtual LARPing. Without the open-worldness LARPing gonna be quite limited.

passerby

Arcane
I wonder if you understand that Borderlands is basically a first-person Diablo and is all about loot-hunting which is nowhere to be seen here.
It's a shooter with skill trees in a simillar setting, enough to successfully market it to them.
We also don't know yet how much filler shooting there is going to be, with limited budged and expactation of 50+ hours of gamaplay for this kind of game, you may be surprised.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Outer Worlds might be an interesting test case. If you make a game which looks kind of like a Bethesda RPG, plays kind of like a Bethesda RPG, and is directly marketed towards Bethesda RPG fans, but isn't actually open world, will they still like it? How crucial is the open-worldness, really?

I suspect the real thing BGS fans will be upset about is the inability to rearrange spoons or fill an entire room with cheeses.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The Outer Worlds might be an interesting test case. If you make a game which looks kind of like a Bethesda RPG, plays kind of like a Bethesda RPG, and is directly marketed towards Bethesda RPG fans, but isn't actually open world, will they still like it? How crucial is the open-worldness, really?
They can use the trick Borderlands did of pretending to be an open world shooter without actually being one, just don't do the lazy "Lets box everything with artificial as fuck mountains everywhere!", not that Bethesdards have much in choice anyway, Fallout 5 is probably 10 or more years on the future as Bethesda is really wanting hard to exploit those land whale losers grinding garbage cans on Fallout 76.

RapineDel

Augur
Well, New Vegas was popular with a lot of Bethesda fans and while it's Open World I don't think many consider that one of it's strengths, it's certainly no Gothic. The world is structured pretty similar to Fallout 1/2 in that there's a pretty clear expectation of where the developers expect you to go but they don't force you to do it. The non settlement locations like the random caves were usually pretty dull and apart from that there was just the odd shack with items in it. All the places with effort devoted to them were the settlements so in reality not having an open world should actually improve the game.

The main thing that will turn off really "hardcore" Bethesda fans is the lack of make your own fun (which I guess the open world helps with). They aren't interested in a full fledged world that's already there as they can't escape into their own little fantasy with any of that, they just want to run around shooting, looting and playing pretend.

Quillon

Arcane
A little bit of Bioshock in my life
A little bit of Borderlands by my side
A little bit of Arcanum is all I need
A little bit of Destiny is what I see
A little bit of Firefly in the sun
A little bit of Mass Effect all night long
A little bit of No Man's Sky, here I am
A little bit of Fallout makes it your game

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
A little bit of VTMB pedigree
A little bit of KOTOR2 what journos wrote
A little bit of RDR2 what avellone hyped
A little bit of balance with sawyer's feedback

GOTD confimed

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Define like. I'm sure many people would/will enjoy it, but the lack of modding and open world will severely limit its staying power. Skyrim is 8 years old by now and normies still haven't forgotten about it because of the open world. Outer Worlds will probably be a small blip in their existence and vanish away after a week or so.

Big Wrangle

It will probably do fine, but I think mod tools are definitely in the pipeline of development.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Open worlds which Lady Infinitron mentioned earlier are nice but somewhat hard to love feauture. Look at Rdr2, Elder Scrolls , Witcher 3, Gothics, F3 or F4, bah, even others like old M&Ms ,etc.

At first they are magnetic, every crpg lover would think, great i wanna live there, so many feautures to play with, so big modding potential, so many ideas, but as soon as You realize amount of fucking time to waste and places or adventures you have to memorize to fully enjoy the open world you come to the point where much smaller but richer world will be enough. I mean , old players like me with job, family and everyday duties, can't spend 18 hours a day to day on playing and learning each npcs fuckin name or story.

Sure we want to but hey, playing too much will make any game boring as shit and turn even most ambitious crpg into "let's end it finally" marathon of pain and butthurt.

We need more mid-sized crpg games, even with open world but much more complex and story, variation packed. Games getting too big in terms of area and too small in terms of variety and emotion scale.

Games must learn again how to be JUST games not enormous alternate worlds to live in with quite shallow background masked by superb gfx etc.

That's why i often reach for smaller games in terms of scope, sure i love rdr2, w3, new crpgs with open world / large playground structure but how fucking nice is to Focus on memorable quests that you can finish in few evenings.
That's why i still play BG or dungeon crawlers, or games like Divinity, Diablo, Shadowrun, Torment, Pathfinder, Ni no Kuni, etc, , it's nice sometimes to have less to do .

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The problem isn't really with open world as much as it is with it having no barriers. Like you have 2 kind of designs allowed nowadays(seemingly). 1 is level scaling so you can go everywhere and 2 is MMO-style level zoning so you know where should you go to NOT get stomped. This kills fun from exploration as everything becomes just methodological slog through content(while ignoring as much of hidden secret kind of shit as possible).

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Are Chris's Tweets supposed to be a parody of the obnoxious Redditor/YouTuber following that Obsidian has received in the past few years?
Yeah.
Savage tweets, it's hilarious to see how clueless these people are on twitter.

> yeah, it's gonna be tenfolds better than sex and the ultimate game of the millenium
> oh boy jesus i can't wait thx avellone-sama

I think Chris suffered from some Christmas spleen right there. He tweeted 30 shitposts in a row or something.
It was quite bizarre to say the least.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
A little bit of Bioshock in my life
A little bit of Borderlands by my side
A little bit of Arcanum is all I need
A little bit of Destiny is what I see
A little bit of Firefly in the sun
A little bit of Mass Effect all night long
A little bit of No Man's Sky, here I am
A little bit of Fallout makes it your game

A little bit of VTMB pedigree
A little bit of KOTOR2 what journos wrote
A little bit of RDR2 what avellone hyped
A little bit of balance with sawyer's feedback

GOTD confimed

equals

frankenstein_s_monster_by_disse86_da7yov2-fullview.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
https://wccftech.com/obsidian-private-division-wonderful-test/
edge magazine said:
Tim Cain: They’ve been wonderful. Everybody there understands what we’re trying to make and they help us do that. They have this QA team who we’ve been sending game drops to along with test planets because this game has a lot of ways you can play it. And they’ve been really good at testing all the different paths and coming back and telling us what worked and what didn’t.

Leonard Boyarsky: It’s been great. Sometimes when you’re dealing with third parties and other publishers, they see something in your game that’s not the game you’re making, and they want to take a different direction. But Private Division really seemed to grasp what we wanted to do and were very excited about it.

Deleted Member 16721

I wouldn't mind VtM:B style hubs, which are open, sometimes lead to new maps and have multiple routes to go through them and tackle the content. I have a feeling that's how it will be.

Duraframe300

Arcane
https://wccftech.com/obsidian-private-division-wonderful-test/
edge magazine said:
Tim Cain: They’ve been wonderful. Everybody there understands what we’re trying to make and they help us do that. They have this QA team who we’ve been sending game drops to along with test planets because this game has a lot of ways you can play it. And they’ve been really good at testing all the different paths and coming back and telling us what worked and what didn’t.

Leonard Boyarsky: It’s been great. Sometimes when you’re dealing with third parties and other publishers, they see something in your game that’s not the game you’re making, and they want to take a different direction. But Private Division really seemed to grasp what we wanted to do and were very excited about it.
The original source as per my post above

Big Wrangle

Everytime Templar says he thinks for himself he seems to get upset that people object, yet he keeps using the Codex rhetoric he complains about very liberally.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hypocrisy? You mean like crying that you get bullied for the games you like and then go on and call people retards for liking games you don't like?

Also, kill yourself for liking Skyrim. Just because you like that game makes you a prime candidate for gene pool removal.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Hypocrisy? You mean like crying that you get bullied for the games you like and then go on and call people retards for liking games you don't like?

Also, kill yourself for liking Skyrim. Just because you like that game makes you a prime candidate for gene pool removal.

Skyrim is one of the best games ever made. It is so good that the whole industry strives to emulate it. Even japanese faggots try to copy it, even Shigeru fucking Miyamoto tried to copy it with Zelda. Even Hideo Kojima with MGSV... Everyone was mesmerized by Skyrim because it was fucking briliant. Even CDPR made Witcher 3 the way it was, despite it being a storyfag game, just because they adored Skyrim...

The whole fucking world adores Skyrim. Even butthurt hipsters adore Skyrim, like yourself. Come out of the closet, admit it is your most played game, we won't judge!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom