Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Can you find the robbers from the beginning and get some payback?

PrettyDeadman

Whats the best location to drop nuclear bomb on?
3 available locations are either china, malaysia or britain. can't you drop nuke someowhere on the playable map? or maybe nuke the asteroid?
Or is the ability to launch nuke just a meme and doesn't have any gameplay significance?

Deleted Member 22431

Getting an accurate statement about how ATOM is Fallout from Politician.
The game is brilliant.

I understand why fans in the eagerness to attract other players would want to sell it as the spiritual sucessor of Fallout, given the references, the interface, even the sound fix, but this comparison is demeaning because the game has its own merits and can stand on its own. To say this game is a Fallout clone is both a mischaracterisation and an insult.

The developers were clear on this:

Modesty aside, it is much bigger than that. While the setting and the look of things was definitely inspired by the first two Fallout games, we're not trying to copy them. We take our inspiration from very varied sources - from the first MS DOS Wasteland game, to the esoteric, thought-provoking Planescape: Torment, and thrilling Deus Ex. We combine the Post-Apocalyptic setting with a different kind of world - The society in our game setting is much closer to medieval than in the titles mentioned. We're working to show how the psychology of the masses changes in the aftermath of everything getting blown to bits. While traveling our world, you will find that most people carry the medieval mythological thinking inside them: in our world legends, myths and gods are born. Bandits act like feudal lords, honest working people regress into peasantry, bureaucrats (not warlords) rule the biggest city on the map, stories of past tech give birth to mystical legends, former Communist Party Members and the KGB become boogeymen that are said to wait for lonely travelers near their hidden installations in the deep woods, magic and witchcraft are explanations many NPCs have for genetic mutations and even the war itself. Our world is as realistic as we can make it while still keeping it fun.

We also lack the common traits of the genre - such as retro-futurism, and weapons and technologies straight out of 50's science fiction. Mostly.

TRUE DAT.

One thing that catch my attention is the immense variety of NPCs. There are dozens of them in each location and THEY ARE ALL UNIQUE, with their own quirks and peculiarities. It's overwhelming. They are many fun characters too. For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army. Another NPC is talking about this mad doctor creating people with stats. LOL.

The traditional dialogue tree system is used to its limit. You have all kinds of interesting choices, e.g., being a listener type that can be rewarded by his patience. The choices matter too. One failed skill check can be the end of a possible choice, an opportunity will never pup up again. You said the wrong thing to a certain character? That’s too bad. Now he will hate your guts and isolate you. Favourite cRPG of the year, by far, and one that will fit in my personal top 10. Classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army.

I've had the same encounter and I would like to take the time to say this: I hope cRPGs one day let us "ambush" characters such as this one. After I convinced him I was no trouble, the guy went back to his campfire. I tried to kill him but I died horribly. However, one could argue that receiving a massive bat to the back of the head should have knocked out and allowed me to steal his rifle and belongings. Sadly, in a lot of cRPGs, such logical solutions aren't possible and so I had to calmly walk away.

Parabalus

Arcane
For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army.

I've had the same encounter and I would like to take the time to say this: I hope cRPGs one day let us "ambush" characters such as this one. After I convinced him I was no trouble, the guy went back to his campfire. I tried to kill him but I died horribly. However, one could argue that receiving a massive bat to the back of the head should have knocked out and allowed me to steal his rifle and belongings. Sadly, in a lot of cRPGs, such logical solutions aren't possible and so I had to calmly walk away.

His rusty AK has a high jamming chance, if you really want to kill him you can save-scum it.

Or use the G0-T0 method and just feed him cigarettes until he dies.

Deleted Member 22431

He is supposed to be tough. I managed to kill him using a bunch of drugs and shooting him from afar with a custom made rifle.

Or use the G0-T0 method and just feed him cigarettes until he dies.
I had tobacco at that time. No cigarettes.

bataille

Arcane
The game is brilliant.

I understand why fans in the eagerness to attract other players would want to sell it as the spiritual sucessor of Fallout, given the references, the interface, even the sound fix, but this comparison is demeaning because the game has its own merits and can stand on its own. To say this game is a Fallout clone is both a mischaracterisation and an insult.

Modesty aside, it is much bigger than that. While the setting and the look of things was definitely inspired by the first two Fallout games, we're not trying to copy them. We take our inspiration from very varied sources - from the first MS DOS Wasteland game, to the esoteric, thought-provoking Planescape: Torment, and thrilling Deus Ex. We combine the Post-Apocalyptic setting with a different kind of world - The society in our game setting is much closer to medieval than in the titles mentioned. We're working to show how the psychology of the masses changes in the aftermath of everything getting blown to bits. While traveling our world, you will find that most people carry the medieval mythological thinking inside them: in our world legends, myths and gods are born. Bandits act like feudal lords, honest working people regress into peasantry, bureaucrats (not warlords) rule the biggest city on the map, stories of past tech give birth to mystical legends, former Communist Party Members and the KGB become boogeymen that are said to wait for lonely travelers near their hidden installations in the deep woods, magic and witchcraft are explanations many NPCs have for genetic mutations and even the war itself. Our world is as realistic as we can make it while still keeping it fun.

We also lack the common traits of the genre - such as retro-futurism, and weapons and technologies straight out of 50's science fiction. Mostly.

TRUE DAT.

One thing that catch my attention is the immense variety of NPCs. There are dozens of them in each location and THEY ARE ALL UNIQUE, with their own quirks and peculiarities. It's overwhelming. They are many fun characters too. For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army. Another NPC is talking about this mad doctor creating people with stats. LOL.

The traditional dialogue tree system is used to its limit. You have all kinds of interesting choices, e.g., being a listener type that can be rewarded by his patience. The choices matter too. One failed skill check can be the end of a possible choice, an opportunity will never pup up again. You said the wrong thing to a certain character? That’s too bad. Now he will hate your guts and isolate you. Favourite cRPG of the year, by far, and one that will fit in my personal top 10. Classic.

Oh hey. Looks like there's going to be at least one person to agree with my review. Now that's promising! :shittydog:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
The game is brilliant.

TRUE DAT.

Sure hope you're not being ironical! Thank you :)
Jeez. Going through the Steam forums sure can bring an atomboy down. Everyone finds the weirdest bugs all the time, people get stuck in things, Fidel bursts at everyone executioner style. Then you come to the codex, and there's only kind words, funny stuff, and bugs that actually matter! And I've also got some good news finally, but I'll do a separate post about that.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Greetings, fellow gamers!
No time on my hands at all, gonna reply to everyone in 30-40 hours or so, still I think this post will give hope to most of those who has trouble now. I confirmed that 1.07 update will feature a huge combat overhaul, with CQC and Melee getting a boost. It's gonna be done in a pretty strange way nobody thought of before it got actually implemented by our balance guy, but some of the stuff you recommended - like tweaking the perks on the perk tree - will also be there, I believe. Also, crippling will now become even better, since we found an error in the blinding mechanic. Partners will also have better pathing. ETA for this update is 3-4 days. Apart from battle, it will have fixes for most situations pointed out here, including the recent "I killed Fidel but the quest is still there". Also lots of good stuff done to the BBQ joint, and many more.

Also, as some might have noticed, we published a hotfix 1.065 today. Here's the log for it:

- Drug-related bug fixes - Random map Z_10 - fixed hanging model - Visiting other world maps no longer spawns car in wrong place in Krasnoznamenny and Fogelevka - EXP for killing teammates before and after joining - Fixed several issues with combat (Enemy aiming isn't flawless on high levels anymore, etc) - Rumors about shield being fixed before shield got fixed, and other KRZ-center related bugs - Yan's portrait changed for proper day and night cycle - Several Peregon politician quest bugs fixed - Car bugs fixed - Burst in the back problem solved - A lot of typos fixed thanks to the typos thread in the Steam Forums!

(Yeah, I don't know why it copypasted like that instead of
- that
)

Okagron

Prophet
Atomboy

Will gas masks appear more often (i.e vendors, enemies, garbage collectors), or just appear at all (haven't found one in 25 hours of playtime)? Need one to go through the Death Tunnel because no one in my party can't fix the generator.

Machocruz

Arcane
Jeez. Going through the Steam forums sure can bring an atomboy down. Everyone finds the weirdest bugs all the time, people get stuck in things, Fidel bursts at everyone executioner style. Then you come to the codex, and there's only kind words, funny stuff, and bugs that actually matter! And I've also got some good news finally, but I'll do a separate post about that.

General population forums are full of crybaby shitheels that get put off by the slightest disturbances and make mountains out of molehills. You have to subract 5 points from Intelligence, Constitution, and Luck when you take any of their words into consideration.

filpan

Scholar
^Just question yourself if someone can sell a brand new car in the post-apocaliptic environment? I was dumb and lost 25 000.

The car is in that Scrapyard map.

Deleted Member 22431

Of course I'm not being ironic. Give it time. When a game is good as this, word of mouth will ensure its longevity.

You mean DOX or previous industry experience? If the latter - our kickstarter page has that stuff!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg
I read that. All this secrecy is because you guys have contracts with exclusive dedication in your day-jobs?

Well, we actually draw portraits from the photos of living people, like Kovalev in Otradnoye, but since it's a long process for our artist we use stock photos as placeholders in some places. But after some time they will all be portraits drawn from pics.
Impressive. I never saw so many portraits in a single cRPG. How many artists do you guys have? In fact, how many people?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortmal

Arcane
Then you come to the codex, and there's only kind words, funny stuff, and bugs that actually matter! And I've also got some good news finally, but I'll do a separate post about that.
See guys! Codex is now viewed as a family friendly environment , beloved by games developers . Infinitron , at last Your quest of streamlining the codex for mass market have been successful, its time for you to re-contact Bethesda and receive bribes and advertisements money, you wont face rejection again.
As for the good news , a new extension or DLC ? You finally rule in your bunker of red fighter, however like former USSR a greater menace threaten the stability of your small community, a shortage of toilet paper ! Embark for the archipelago of buttfire on a level 20+ epic quest, available soon !

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey Atomboy look at this thread (at retarded imageboard for animekids but still), from it you can learn what exactly usual people love in your game. )
https://2ch.hk/vg/res/28787954.html#28838268

The dog sadly, was powerful early, nowadays he is only good for fightinh rats and insects. No armor, no weapons.

Dog still has the only power you really need - power of frendship!

Holy shit, RPK 74 melts faces.

I got it during serving in the army. It's HEAVY, that's my only memries of it. Oh, and precise with bipods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom