Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pools of Radiance is Kicking My Ass and I’m Loving It!

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I started Pools of Radiance today and holy fuck. My two healers both went down in my second combat (Benedictus the Cleric and Szant István the F/C), and idk how I’m supposed to get them back, since I have no other healers to cast CLW on them and the temple charges a fuckton for services. Loving it so far.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If they're only unconscious you can rest for 24 hours to restore 1 hit point. If they're dead then it's trickier, and you're probably better off making new characters if you're just starting out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You should have several characters able to cast Cure Light Wounds. Multi-class characters rule in PoR.
Also hire a Hero as a meat shield. You'll lose some XP, but there's more than encough XP in the game.
And after a while you'll have more gold than you can spend.

Incendax

Augur
Rest for 24 hours or hire a Cleric hero.
There is PLENTY of XP to go around.

Mustawd

So much for that IWD LP in December huh?

So I'm going into my intersession in a couple weeks, which is likely to leave me bored as fuck. With that in mind I figured an IWD LP would be in order to A) Make me finally finish the damn game

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
These games are pretty much unplayable because of the now obnoxious and terrible interface....

I read this often about Gold Box games and I never understand where this is coming from.
I played Pool of Radiance last year (with GBC) and had (barely) no issues with the UI.
What comes to mind is the lack of a "fix" command and maybe that you have to re-select spells to memorize.
Both issues were fixed in CotAB.

For a solely keyboard controlled UI it's actually pretty good imho.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I played Pool of Radiance last year (with GBC) and had (barely) no issues with the UI.
What comes to mind is the lack of a "fix" command and maybe that you have to re-select spells to memorize.
Both issues were fixed in CotAB.

GBC already adds both of those in PoR :shittydog:

And yeah, I never use the mouse in any Gold Box game.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...What comes to mind is the lack of a "fix" command and maybe that you have to re-select spells to memorize.
Both issues were fixed in CotAB...

GBC already adds both of those in PoR :shittydog:...

True, but GBC's fix command will heal your party immediately, which I considered cheating during my playthrough. I only used it in the civilized area.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I’ll chime in with that once I learned the commands and how to navigate menus, my only complaint about UI is shops and even those aren’t bad, just I don’t prefer how they’re implemented.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom