Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okagron

Prophet
The car is in that Scrapyard map.
Can you tell me where it is on the world map? Got the quest from Kovalev to find a car so that he can fix it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The car is in that Scrapyard map.
Can you tell me where it is on the world map? Got the quest from Kovalev to find a car so that he can fix it.
zeliV8I.png

Deleted Member 22431

^Just question yourself if someone can sell a brand new car in the post-apocaliptic environment? I was dumb and lost 25 000.
LOL.

Strange. I tried to contact him after I killed everyone in the Scrapyard to fix the car, but he didn't care. I fixed myself with a toolbox.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Well since lenin walks again among the living you could have mummies from the skythian/sarmatian kurgans roam the land,with some great swords as loot!maybe in a dlc?
There is also a car that can ne fixed in the abandoned factory map.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
^Just question yourself if someone can sell a brand new car in the post-apocaliptic environment? I was dumb and lost 25 000.
LOL.

Strange. I tried to contact him after I killed everyone in the Scrapyard to fix the car, but he didn't care. I fixed myself with a toolbox.
I never got the quest, myself. I got a quest to go to the scrapyard for other reasons, and ended up finding a car there, which I also fixed myself.

Vrab

Learned

Kovalev is after a different car. There's a broken Moskvich near Dan's factory. You also can't fix it yourself, it's a whole series of quests, mostly fetch.

Edit: Just don't get irradiated, there's a radioactive truck nearby.

Mortmal

Arcane
Btw fellow codexers, i just paid fidel informant and he told me to look for some captain on the docks. However i cant find any captain , maybe i am getting too old, or i ran into a bug. Can anyone screenshot me his location please?

Okagron

Prophet
You can find a car at the Factory, by the gas station. After that you'll need to ask some caravan to bring it to Kovalev.
I got the quest recently and people in this thread started to mention a scrap yard with a car (i haven't gone there yet) and i assumed it was the car for Kovalev. Thanks for the clarification.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Getting an accurate statement about how ATOM is Fallout from Politician.
The game is brilliant.

I understand why fans in the eagerness to attract other players would want to sell it as the spiritual sucessor of Fallout, given the references, the interface, even the sound fix, but this comparison is demeaning because the game has its own merits and can stand on its own. To say this game is a Fallout clone is both a mischaracterisation and an insult.

The developers were clear on this:

Modesty aside, it is much bigger than that. While the setting and the look of things was definitely inspired by the first two Fallout games, we're not trying to copy them. We take our inspiration from very varied sources - from the first MS DOS Wasteland game, to the esoteric, thought-provoking Planescape: Torment, and thrilling Deus Ex. We combine the Post-Apocalyptic setting with a different kind of world - The society in our game setting is much closer to medieval than in the titles mentioned. We're working to show how the psychology of the masses changes in the aftermath of everything getting blown to bits. While traveling our world, you will find that most people carry the medieval mythological thinking inside them: in our world legends, myths and gods are born. Bandits act like feudal lords, honest working people regress into peasantry, bureaucrats (not warlords) rule the biggest city on the map, stories of past tech give birth to mystical legends, former Communist Party Members and the KGB become boogeymen that are said to wait for lonely travelers near their hidden installations in the deep woods, magic and witchcraft are explanations many NPCs have for genetic mutations and even the war itself. Our world is as realistic as we can make it while still keeping it fun.

We also lack the common traits of the genre - such as retro-futurism, and weapons and technologies straight out of 50's science fiction. Mostly.

TRUE DAT.

One thing that catch my attention is the immense variety of NPCs. There are dozens of them in each location and THEY ARE ALL UNIQUE, with their own quirks and peculiarities. It's overwhelming. They are many fun characters too. For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army. Another NPC is talking about this mad doctor creating people with stats. LOL.

The traditional dialogue tree system is used to its limit. You have all kinds of interesting choices, e.g., being a listener type that can be rewarded by his patience. The choices matter too. One failed skill check can be the end of a possible choice, an opportunity will never pup up again. You said the wrong thing to a certain character? That’s too bad. Now he will hate your guts and isolate you. Favourite cRPG of the year, by far, and one that will fit in my personal top 10. Classic.
Fuck that shit,i am deep in to my second litter of brendy but i will respond even if it is broken one.
If people didn't hype the game as fallout 3 you and people like you wouldn't have even touch it. Yes the game is fucking brilliant mate,that is why have labeled it as fallout 3 in this thread,you were the one that didn't believe the hype,which is fair enough. It is not like fallout could just pop in after 20 years of waiting and false hopes. Still the game is a fallout game in everything except name only. They got all the fallout stuff and the mechanics are identical. Calling it disservice......well on this site i disagree,on the steam sure. People here are capable to see the games greatness for what it is. For steam...fuck that shit i don't know or care what the peasants are thinking,i don't have one or intend to get one. Here everyone is talking to it as a successor of fallout games not as mare copy of them.

I am happy that you decided to give it a shot a decide for your self. Happy that you liked it too.

Atomboy give us a gog version before i drunk the money saved for this brotherly gem ;).

Anyway,enough with the bro fag love,are ura and cheers!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey Atomboy look at this thread (at retarded imageboard for animekids but still), from it you can learn what exactly usual people love in your game. )
https://2ch.hk/vg/res/28787954.html#28838268

The dog sadly, was powerful early, nowadays he is only good for fightinh rats and insects. No armor, no weapons.

Dog still has the only power you really need - power of frendship!

Holy shit, RPK 74 melts faces.

I got it during serving in the army. It's HEAVY, that's my only memries of it. Oh, and precise with bipods.

Wow, thanks for the link, man! That's really sweet. Not a frequent /vg/ user myself, but I do have a soft spot for Russian anon, and it makes me really happy to see 2ch mostly enjoy the game. They even found the ЖИРАФ story I wrote especially for them! :D

Dang, I wish I got to see a live action RPK!

Well since lenin walks again among the living you could have mummies from the skythian/sarmatian kurgans roam the land,with some great swords as loot!maybe in a dlc?
There is also a car that can ne fixed in the abandoned factory map.

Yeah, we let fantasy fly for a bit, and I thought of a revolutionary red army shashka sword, that might look good in our setting. Everyone and his fat mama had a shashka back in the day, after all. As for the location... Some kind of a museum would work fine, or like some collector guy selling them, or maybe Chapayev's crypt?..

Getting an accurate statement about how ATOM is Fallout from Politician.
The game is brilliant.

I understand why fans in the eagerness to attract other players would want to sell it as the spiritual sucessor of Fallout, given the references, the interface, even the sound fix, but this comparison is demeaning because the game has its own merits and can stand on its own. To say this game is a Fallout clone is both a mischaracterisation and an insult.

The developers were clear on this:

Modesty aside, it is much bigger than that. While the setting and the look of things was definitely inspired by the first two Fallout games, we're not trying to copy them. We take our inspiration from very varied sources - from the first MS DOS Wasteland game, to the esoteric, thought-provoking Planescape: Torment, and thrilling Deus Ex. We combine the Post-Apocalyptic setting with a different kind of world - The society in our game setting is much closer to medieval than in the titles mentioned. We're working to show how the psychology of the masses changes in the aftermath of everything getting blown to bits. While traveling our world, you will find that most people carry the medieval mythological thinking inside them: in our world legends, myths and gods are born. Bandits act like feudal lords, honest working people regress into peasantry, bureaucrats (not warlords) rule the biggest city on the map, stories of past tech give birth to mystical legends, former Communist Party Members and the KGB become boogeymen that are said to wait for lonely travelers near their hidden installations in the deep woods, magic and witchcraft are explanations many NPCs have for genetic mutations and even the war itself. Our world is as realistic as we can make it while still keeping it fun.

We also lack the common traits of the genre - such as retro-futurism, and weapons and technologies straight out of 50's science fiction. Mostly.

TRUE DAT.

One thing that catch my attention is the immense variety of NPCs. There are dozens of them in each location and THEY ARE ALL UNIQUE, with their own quirks and peculiarities. It's overwhelming. They are many fun characters too. For instance, this tinfoil hat dude stop me on the road with an assault rifle babbling that I’m a lizard man from the aryan army. Another NPC is talking about this mad doctor creating people with stats. LOL.

The traditional dialogue tree system is used to its limit. You have all kinds of interesting choices, e.g., being a listener type that can be rewarded by his patience. The choices matter too. One failed skill check can be the end of a possible choice, an opportunity will never pup up again. You said the wrong thing to a certain character? That’s too bad. Now he will hate your guts and isolate you. Favourite cRPG of the year, by far, and one that will fit in my personal top 10. Classic.
Fuck that shit,i am deep in to my second litter of brendy but i will respond even if it is broken one.
If people didn't hype the game as fallout 3 you and people like you wouldn't have even touch it. Yes the game is fucking brilliant mate,that is why have labeled it as fallout 3 in this thread,you were the one that didn't believe the hype,which is fair enough. It is not like fallout could just pop in after 20 years of waiting and false hopes. Still the game is a fallout game in everything except name only. They got all the fallout stuff and the mechanics are identical. Calling it disservice......well on this site i disagree,on the steam sure. People here are capable to see the games greatness for what it is. For steam...fuck that shit i don't know or care what the peasants are thinking,i don't have one or intend to get one. Here everyone is talking to it as a successor of fallout games not as mare copy of them.

I am happy that you decided to give it a shot a decide for your self. Happy that you liked it too.

Atomboy give us a gog version before i drunk the money saved for this brotherly gem ;).

Anyway,enough with the bro fag love,are ura and cheers!

This argument again! I think about it from time to time. From one POW - riding in on a horse labeled "NEW FALLOUT" helps notoriety, popularity, sales and stuff. From another point of view it gives people unrealistic expectations, and completely understandably pisses many people off. I read like a ton of comment from people who didn't even want to try Atom out because "Oh no it's another shitty fallout". Also calling our stuff new Fallout makes uninformed people think we made some kind of a soulless cash grab on nostalgia (like, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against soulless cashgrabs playing off on people's nostalgia, it's just that Atom isn't one. Mostly because of the "cash" part, which we barely have enough to make the DLC and start making a new game, lol). So, really, I don't know whether I like Atom being called a Fallout game or not. And I don't know whether it is a truly Fallout game or not. I just want people to like it and be happy playing it, mostly!

About gog: Stuff is going really well. I might even know the release date soon. They turned out to be really cool people!

seems there are a LOT of quest/things I missed can't wait to play this again..
when will new content come out?

:bounce:
Well, the next big patch will have a new Tutorial map which is a brand new location you can run around. It's a tutorial map, though. Also, I'm writing a few in game books, but these are just books. They will teach you how to make wacky new firearms though. Peregon might get a new NPC or two to solve the weapons situation. Maybe weapons will be added to existing vendors tho. That one is going online in a few days. After that a few more weeks of fixing and tweaking as much as we can. Depends on the bugs. Then we will suddenly all go away for a month or two, only to come back with new quests and locations for Dead City and maybe the Mountain Pass.

And then, one day, "Welcome to Trudograd: Laborer's Paradise!"

Or not! I'm just making stuff up, mostly!

We getting mod tools?
Yup. We never forgot that promise, we just wanna fix all the looming problems we have now, before making stuff even more confusing by introducing mods!

Ok how much speech you need for the moonshine leader?100?
Was it really that much? I remember it to be around 80?.. Huh.

Whats the best location to drop nuclear bomb on?
3 available locations are either china, malaysia or britain. can't you drop nuke someowhere on the playable map? or maybe nuke the asteroid?
Or is the ability to launch nuke just a meme and doesn't have any gameplay significance?
It's a pointless meme, bcz one of the locations is F1's The Glow. So see, that's funny because lol ackshually the glow ws made by protag in atom ;( F1 is in same universe now??? Is that even legal??? Matt Patt would love it! But you'd never shoot the asteroid with that nuke anyway, because it's too big and too far away, and the nuke doesn't have space flight mode!

I know Jay Bauman is in the game but I hope future content will include the likenesses of Mike Stoklasa and especially Rich Evans...

Rich Evans is already in that blobber I will one day finish! He jumps your party with his two pet rats if you attempt to get a taste of some soup cooking on your spaceship's kitchen. His line is "Sacre ble! Mon soup! She is now... how you say... Infected with AAAAAAAAAIDS!"

YeT4uw5.png

Sure hope you're not being ironical! Thank you :)
Jeez. Going through the Steam forums sure can bring an atomboy down. Everyone finds the weirdest bugs all the time, people get stuck in things, Fidel bursts at everyone executioner style. Then you come to the codex, and there's only kind words, funny stuff, and bugs that actually matter! And I've also got some good news finally, but I'll do a separate post about that.
Of course I'm not being ironic. Give it time. When a game is good as this, word of mouth will ensure its longevity.

You mean DOX or previous industry experience? If the latter - our kickstarter page has that stuff!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg
I read that. All this secrecy is because you guys have contracts with exclusive dedication in your day-jobs?

Well, we actually draw portraits from the photos of living people, like Kovalev in Otradnoye, but since it's a long process for our artist we use stock photos as placeholders in some places. But after some time they will all be portraits drawn from pics.
Impressive. I never saw so many portraits in a single cRPG. How many artists do you guys have? In fact, how many people?

Ohh, I really hope so. And thanks!
On secrecy, though! Never thought of it as secrecy. I won't tell you why the guys from the team who had tons of experience in the industry don't brag around about what they accomplished, maybe they just don't wanna. As for me, I don't really have anything interesting about me to say. I'm just some rando guy. First I was a philologist then I sold stuff and wrote pasta for image boards when I had nothing better to do at the office, I shared that idea to make an RPG my pals had for like the last 8 years, so one day we did and here I am!
We have two artists, although only one makes pics into portraits, three programmers, a modeller, a musician, two writers, and a chief tester in the core team, but tons of people helped out through the years, so we have huge credits. No bosses or anything like that, everyone does his thing and then we combine it into a build.

I just wanna congratulate you again for making this game and keeping up with the patches. Greetings from Serbia

Thanks, man! Really happy to hear that!

Stealth is really useful in combat (it's a god tier skill, along with speechcraft). It lets you come closer to enemies without them seeing you, or evading them if they surrounded you, because they literally can't see you 2m away when it's maxed out.

Ah so stealth is just permanently "on" and works non stop, reducing the aggro radius of enemies?

Yep, it's always on. It's a bit stupid that you dont have sneaking as command, but it is what it is.

Also, pickpocketing is so shitty unless you are prepared to constantly reload. Even at 130-140 you are still going to be caught a lot by most of the good merchants.
Well, that's why they are good! Make them drunk!

Can you find the robbers from the beginning and get some payback?
Oh yesss!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
OK, I think there's a bug with Dr. Mikoyan - after asking for his help to treat a patient, he returns to his shop but his store inventory never has any medical supplies. I visited him days and weeks later and he still does not carry and medical supplies.

Also Atomboy , I would not dismiss Luckmann complaint that easily because this shit happens:

Can you point out what could've been done to avoid friendly fire in that video? I really can't see how to avoid that.
My party members always move first in combat, and they take shots when everyone is not in optimal positions. It really cannot be avoided.

Anyway with DEX 6 - I have very low Sequence, so my solution is this: equip the soviet army knife or machete that gives +5 Sequence. This lets me move before Hax and Fidel. The turn order will go from Me, Hax and Fidel. So it's entirely possible to move Hax prior to him ventilating Fidel or any friendly by accident.

Reported this as a bug. Also today's patch (065) attempted to fix that pathing issue with bursts into the back and stuff. It's not ideal yet, but we have another patch in the works.

Yeah, those quests should have been connected. I feel like finding out they are involved in slavery should have offered more dialogue options if you haven't already resolved the politics quest. Or at the very least tell someone else other than creepy postman, who seems to be in a slave dealer organization himself, judging by the last sentence he says to you. It could branch into a huge quest involving slave dealers AND influence political scene in Peregon. That would've been awesome.

You can talk to Peregon's head militia guy before you get the list, and Siplovsky and Abramov after you get it. Thing is, like with the Dead City, at first this quest was planned by me to be a tiny, forgettable little quest that only had one purpose - to nod at the you know what. By then Peregon's politics quest was already made and in the hands of another writer. When my BBQ quest grew out of proportion we did what we could to link it with the big one, but for example interfering with the Harbormaster's dialogue was almost impossible at that point, because it was so complicated without it, it was about to burst! Though from the start, I wanted this quest to make the player be all like "Who did I actually help right now?" "What's with the postal dude?" "A Pynchon horn?" "Is everyone involved?" and was not supposed to find any answers. The list of names is torn-up in the game. Who knows how long it actually is? Even good old Kovalev miight've been on it... Or not! Like that ogre breeding conspiracy thing in Arcanum! So even though I agree that it'd be pretty cool, I doubt we'll manage to make this quest link with that other big one any more.

I think that melee is very deceptive, because for much of the game, you'd probably do amazingly. I'm not even melee-specialized, and I did extremely well for much of the early game with just the starting dagger, and even around level 12ish, I could routinely break out my melee and just start stabbing things to death.

But now, as I just got to level 15, the level-scaling of the game has just absolutely floored me, and I regularly run into armored bandits with automatic weapons catching me in cross-fires assisted by other members of the party, ripping me to shreds.

Again, though, I'm not actually specialized for melee in any way. It is entirely possible (I think) to make a melee combatant, unless there are more major game changers like that in the game, also assuming that you keep your gear tippy-top.
Wait for the next patch! Melee will become better, hopefully. Still, a punch or slash won't be as good as a rifle shot, but it will do better. And one day we'll add more weapons for the style, so no worries!
How's companion AI behavior in general? It would be weird if companion AI behave differently than enemy AI. The enemies are smart here, right? A newfag actually complained at NMA that the enemy would run back and forth to hide behind covers :lol: I would say keep the AI for companions and enemies exactly the same for both melee and ranged behavior, while STILL give players the options to command the companions manually.

Though, there's the question of fun and balance, would the game break if companion AI behave exactly the same as enemy AI? Or would it not matter here because the enemy would also stupidly tries to fire right behind their allies?
They are basically the same, that's why it's always incredibly terrible to hear about those quirks they sometimes get. Because nobody can find the cause for them!

Are shields even working. After equipping one, dmg reduction % didn't change and I'm not getting any blocks during fights, even after specializing for them. Pretty much every gun shot hits me regardless of having a shield equipped or not. I've put it on my back, not in a weapon slot.
They are supposed to lower the damage when in hand if you are shot by an opponent who is facing you. They don't work like that for you? Then I'm
Riddle me this, why is the SKS rolling 36 damage vs unarmored enemies on regular hits where its base damage is 11-19...

Why is there no rope anywhere near the Forrest...
We'll be adding a rope to a local you can trade with. What's the ammo you're using tho?

Game makes fun of "cults", also makes fun of those who stand again official science (conspirology).

But they cant hide Truth, no matter what.
No we don't! I love conspiracy theories!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the deal with using pictures of actors(such as the guy from Iron Fist) in the portraits? Aren't there laws forbidding you guys from doing this?
We're using free to use stock photos mostly, that are then turned into portraits which, while resembling the initial person, mainly just use their likeness a bit. Real looking photos are placeholders for that time until our guy draws all the portraits. When you see a famous person like a Youtuber - we always email for permission and tell the owner of the likeness that we will dispose of the portrait if he tells us to. As for the Iron Fist guy - we got him while looking for stock photos... Nobody honestly even knows what this show is :( Thanks for reminding me to get rid of him in an update!

The weapon salesmen tend to appear after politics are resolved.

I haven't seen the blind woman ever have a single weapon to offer. Is it connected to difficulty setting? I'm about to get there on normal and will see if so, last one was expert. Or maybe there are others I missed?

The trader in Otradnoye is also introduced as a gun salesman, but has no guns for sale until bit later in the game. This is same on expert and normal.

The trader in Peregon may also be a hidjab wearing woman or a fat lady with a backpack, it's random. You don't get anyone who sells guns even after you do the quest? That's pretty weird, but anyway, with version 1.07 we'll be adding weapons to already existing vendors, so it's gonna be okay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This argument again! I think about it from time to time. From one POW - riding in on a horse labeled "NEW FALLOUT" helps notoriety, popularity, sales and stuff. From another point of view it gives people unrealistic expectations, and completely understandably pisses many people off. I read like a ton of comment from people who didn't even want to try Atom out because "Oh no it's another shitty fallout". Also calling our stuff new Fallout makes uninformed people think we made some kind of a soulless cash grab on nostalgia (like, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against soulless cashgrabs playing off on people's nostalgia, it's just that Atom isn't one. Mostly because of the "cash" part, which we barely have enough to make the DLC and start making a new game, lol). So, really, I don't know whether I like Atom being called a Fallout game or not. And I don't know whether it is a truly Fallout game or not. I just want people to like it and be happy playing it, mostly!

About gog: Stuff is going really well. I might even know the release date soon. They turned out to be really cool people!
For the steam shit i have no idea,but here people enjoyed the game for what it was and haven't seen it as a fallout copy or soulless money grab. For many Slavs it is even better than Fallout 1,as it represent the eastern Europa. I did enjoyed it more than the old american game. I do call it a fallout game here,where most if not all people know their shit about rpgs.
For gog,i am not really surprised,we are all Slav brothers with some real love for such games.

Anyway,you guys did made a good/great RPG that i will enjoy for years if we all don't die on 1st of February.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Btw fellow codexers, i just paid fidel informant and he told me to look for some captain on the docks. However i cant find any captain , maybe i am getting too old, or i ran into a bug. Can anyone screenshot me his location please?
Check near inner Krasno area - behind the bounty giver's office there's a small dock with the captain and his ship on it.
It'll cost you 3,500

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom