Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most difficult RPGs according to GameFAQs users

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I stopped reading at Baldur's Gate (anything easier than BG isn't even worth playing).

That's what happens when every single retard has the right to vote, you should have to take an IQ test before voting and even taking internet polls.

EldarEldrad

Savant
In reality, no really difficult video game exists at all. In fact, video games are among the easier to spend time entertainments available, the only thing they cost is time. It is impossible to be unable to finish an video game. You just need to grind for longer.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
In reality, no really difficult video game exists at all. In fact, video games are among the easier to spend time entertainments available, the only thing they cost is time. It is impossible to be unable to finish an video game. You just need to grind for longer.

I dunno, did anyone ever manage to complete Desert Bus?

Edit: Nevermind, seems someone did.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hey, in fact we are talking about real video games and not about Obscure-video-no-one-cares-about-for-autists-games.

Having thought about it for a minute, most old games, the original games, were literally incompletable. From Space Invaders to Frogger to Tetris. The gameplay used to be entirely "keep playing until you can't any more" whereby the level would eventually become physically impossible due to speed or hazards. The concept was to see who could get the furthest, not completion.

A modern example would be the Tower Defence genre.

I have to admit, I never did like that system & I much prefer a sense of completion, but I still like to play a Tower Defence every now and then & I got quite excited when I got a long way into Plants vs Zombies Endless mode.

buffalo bill

Arcane
In reality, no really difficult RPG exists at all. In fact, RPGs are among the easier to play genres available, the only thing they cost is time. It is impossible to be unable to finish an RPG. You just need to grind for longer.
Counterpoint: Infra Arcana, ADOM.

Incendax

Augur
Might and Magic I? It wasn’t even close to the anal violation of Might and Magic II.

Cael

Arcane
Hey, in fact we are talking about real video games and not about Obscure-video-no-one-cares-about-for-autists-games.

Having thought about it for a minute, most old games, the original games, were literally incompletable. From Space Invaders to Frogger to Tetris. The gameplay used to be entirely "keep playing until you can't any more" whereby the level would eventually become physically impossible due to speed or hazards. The concept was to see who could get the furthest, not completion.

A modern example would be the Tower Defence genre.

I have to admit, I never did like that system & I much prefer a sense of completion, but I still like to play a Tower Defence every now and then & I got quite excited when I got a long way into Plants vs Zombies Endless mode.
Plant vs Zombies isn't really a TD game. Try Kingdom Rush or something similar.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Arena or Wizardry 6 are hard in the beginning but I'm not sure if I ever played a consistently hard RPG. Perhaps AoD but trial and error doesn't necessarily mean "hard"

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Arena or Wizardry 6 are hard in the beginning but I'm not sure if I ever played a consistently hard RPG. Perhaps AoD but trial and error doesn't necessarily mean "hard"

Trial and error does not mean hard.

It means "i am a retard and have no life and i am going to keep wasting my time not having fun just so i can finish a game that most sane people dropped hundrends of hours ago so i can boast about it on the internet to complete strangers who couldn't give a fuck if i live or die, so i can feel i accomplished something in my pathetic life".

AKA Dark Souls.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

This is a bad argument.

Difficulty is difficulty. Quibbling over why a game is hard is just academic. Saying difficulty "doesn't count" because if you spend enough time you will overcome it is a non-sequitur.

I can only assume they gave such a brutal difficulty spike to western releases because they hated us.

Purportedly it was to prevent the game being finished during a weekend rental. Game renting is not allowed in Japan and was seen as a big loss of profits in the US.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

This is a bad argument.

Difficulty is difficulty. Quibbling over why a game is hard is just academic. Saying difficulty "doesn't count" because if you spend enough time you will overcome it is a non-sequitur.

Further to this point, does being extremely boring & pretty much incompletable due to the boredom factor count as difficulty? I've played quite a few games where the boredom factor was so catatonic that completion was literally impossible as I really did fall asleep every time I tried to play them.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This is a bad argument.

No it is not a bad argument:

1) I never make bad arguments, because i am a genius and whatever i say is 100% correct

2) Something being difficult, means it takes skill/ability to overcome. Otherwise it is not difficult, by definition. Trial and error in RPG games is not difficult because it requires no skill at all. Every single retard on this planet is guaranteed to complete trial and error games, just by participating long enough. The only requirement is time spent. That is not "difficult". You can argue that it is a type of "investment", but that does not mean it is difficult, just time consuming.

3) Stop throwing "non-sequitur" around to pretend you know what the fuck you are talking about. You are fooling nobody. Especially when you are failing at logic multiple times yourself in the very same paragraph... a) I never claimed that "difficulty doesn't count", i claimed that trial and error is not difficulty, which means you just did a strawman argument, and b) difficulty is difficulty is just a tautology. It does not prove shit, and thus, ironically, the rest of your argument is non-sequitur...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

This is a bad argument.

Difficulty is difficulty. Quibbling over why a game is hard is just academic.

Normally I would agree, but in the case of Age of Decadence the question is: how often do you die and how often is it because of encounters you are not supposed to win? Contrast with other games where you can die 100 times, but you are expected to beat them. In Age of Decadence, if you die 100 times, you are probably not expected to beat that particular encounter/scenario. Wizardry IV is hard. It is hard because you are expected to get to the end of that nightmare. In Age of Decadence, the multiple paths make people believe any path is valid for any given build, but this isn't true, and I admit this is very difficult for a lot of people, including myself, to come to grips with.

Like with the JRPG discussion thread, it's worth mentioning that the difficulty of these games is judged by the people who have played these games. The people who rated Deadfire's difficulty are probably people who are used to this kind of game. The game also has different difficulty levels, so we don't know based on what difficulty level they are rating the game.

Deleted Member 16721

It was easy at release, but in its current state it's harder than Kingmaker. They retuned every mob, added challenge modes, and late-game content like mega-bosses.

Try playing Kingmaker on Unfair+ and get back to me on that. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom