Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Terran Shield: Edge of the Abyss - X-COM: Terror from the Deep spiritual successor

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Starting today we will stream some live level building and game-play sessions for the fans. We will do maybe also some live 2D character design and 3D modeling & animation, music compose, blueprint and engine programming sessions.

We will be live on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/terranshield/

And the main stream will be on our Twitch account: https://www.twitch.tv/terran_shield

The schedule of our streams will be posted here in advance.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
The entire The Lost Shrine of UM game-play trailer is available now!

Stay tuned for the intro trailer and another game-play sequences.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
That trailer looks cool. I think they should adjust the speed of the intro text thought, these phrases appear and disappear a bit too fast. The rest is sheer :incline:

mastroego

Arcane
I don't know, it's irrelevant to my point.
I don't take a hard position one way or the other, as I don't have hard evidence under my direct purview, BUT the narration on this matter has been entirely hijacked by globalists (as they do with most issues), so at this point you can't trust anything you hear on the "approved" channels.

More than that, it's become a POLITICAL issue, and when developers decide to dabble with political issues, they better be prepared to the fact that they're going to piss off a good portion of their audience, because that's what's going to happen anyway.

BTW, it's very cold outside right now.

Last edited:

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Well, the whole global warming issue is just fitting the type of the mission environment we want. The rich jungle (also with carnivorous plants - we don't have them in the gameplay video but will be in the final version) combined with the destructible environment, can create some very complex and challenging tactical situation. We do not want to make a particular political statement. The rise of water level is also beneficial for the army of The Six, because they are sea creatures.

Wow this reminds me of all these ideas I had for a TFTD remake.

I'm gonna watch those videos when I'm back home.

Also, GORGEROUS, GORGEROUS game.

Thanks for the appreciation. We really like to hear more about what you would like to be in a TftD remake, or EU, JA2, Apocalypse remake.

The whole TS concept started as a TftD remake, but we cannot take into consideration the other very good titles as well . Apocalypse had a lot of very good parts - too bad it was rushed in production, it could have been a very good X-Com. JA 2 also was a very good tbs with a deep and rich gameplay and also had a nice alien incursion.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks a little bit choppy in the visual department, poor framerate or whatever. I like the style, but it's slightly too bright. Lacks atmosphere.
Sound design, on the other hand, is really really good, especially the music. Some of the weapon sounds could be improved.
I hate the UI tho. I understand why you chose it (blue color and the lines), but I still think you could find something thematically appropriate but less irritating.

Farewell into the night

Looks cool. Love the UI. Don't like it's 3D, but I love 2d stuff, so don't listen to me, it looks like an interesting game in the making. I also dig that sound effect, It reminds me of spells in the early HoMM games.

Thanks for the appreciation. We really like to hear more about what you would like to be in a TftD remake, or EU, JA2, Apocalypse remake.

Man, there's a veritable laundry list inside my brain. I will have to scavenge it.

Here's a little thing: Grenades underwater. Throwing grenades underwater is... kind of impossible. A little correction here would be to make use of armor-mounted gas-powered grenade launchers inside armor, say, in gauntlets.

Bigger thing: TFTD, being a UFO reskin, was limited in its... tridimensionality. Soldiers walk on the seabed as if its land, not as if they're on the sea.
Of course, one problem is that "swimming" in TFTD is a late-game ability unlocked by Mag-Armor.

My idea to adress that, was that the aliens are far more adapted to the underwater enviroment. In short: Humans can swim, but the aliens swim run circles around humans until the humans can get some tech to counter this and increase their mobility.

(of course, it would require AI work to make the aliens make use of this)

The whole TS concept started as a TftD remake, but we cannot take into consideration the other very good titles as well . Apocalypse had a lot of very good parts - too bad it was rushed in production, it could have been a very good X-Com. JA 2 also was a very good tbs with a deep and rich gameplay and also had a nice alien incursion.

I love Apocalypse a lot, too.
Especially the terrain/physics system, it was something else, even compared to today.
I also liked the faction-based interplay, too, having to juggle reputations and alliances to get the job done, and minding collateral damage.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks very interesting and the art direction seems pretty well realized, but like someone else mentioned before, the game looks very choppy and poorly optimized. I really hope that this will be fixed in the future, because I'll take a game that runs like butter with slightly less visually appealing assets, textures, etc, than a game that has top of the line graphics with extremely poor optimization.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
We are in process of testing the engine limits on an average system and in general we focus on completing a demo level for the AI and gameplay to be developed. We want to have a short demo for the crowdfunding campaign (that is scheduled sometime in February), that will be much more polished.
Right now on the Temple of UM lvl (that is the most polished) it has ~30fps on a I7 -6700K CPU at 4GHz with 24Gb RAM and a Geforce GTX 970, 1920x1080 high graphics settings. A attach a short sequence that will be in the final short trailer for the crowdfunding campaign.

Of course there will be no conventional grenades trowing underwater, we will have guided torpedoes, crab spy drones with explosives, magnetic explosive charges, etc...
About the underwater animation, we have the ka-um-la swimming animation and they can swim at any height in the level, plus they will have more TU than humans (especially on hard and superhuman difficulties). The aquanauts will develop their abilities and will move faster in the end game phase, but will be no match for the aliens creatures (so we have to compensate that with accuracy, mental control, placement in the battlefield and the careful use of our arsenal and capabilities).
I personally will love to have the terrain and building destruction of the Apocalypse, we will go toward that as much as possible.
About the UI, it is in his early iterations and is has only his underwater theme skin, we focus right now on its functionality rather then its look. In the final game the player will have some skins to choose from, it can also be hidden, or minimized with only the essential information displayed.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
Our short trailer with some new weapons, effects, the Ud'Glee 3D model and the first message from the alien leaders for humanity.

lightbane

Arcane
The alien leader's voice sounds awesome and truly unspeakably alien, if only because it's hard to understand what he says. Subtitles will be a thing, I hope.
The video already shows slow framerate and a case of "ragdoll dancing", which are hopefully work-in-progress. Lastly, these alien rifles sound more like magical wands than fearsome weapons of destruction.
I like the giant melee creature. I dunno if it will be capable of "impregnating" your soldiers, but if it gets Time Units by killing stuff in melee, it will be equally fearsome.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
I put the subtitles on the video. You are right, the reverberation effect makes the message hard to understand.

The low frame rate is due to the alpha version low optimization, we will have plenty of time to adjust that during the beta testing. The same applies to the sonic gun and electric gun effects (it actually has a real electric spark effect), that are subject to change during the development.
Currently in game, it stands out nicely from other jungle forest sounds or underwater effects.

The giant melee creature you are referring to this one: https://i.imgur.com/414jk7Z.jpg

This is the Had-Bog, one of the toughest enemy with a lot of health and armour and almost invulnerable to explosive/kinetic and electric damage. Currently his incredible powerful jaws are enough to saw in half any aquanaut or soldier, that ventures near the dangerous creature, even with the latest armor in the game. It also a support for heavy weapons that have slow fire rate, but have big AOE damage. There is another alien that injects fluids in his enemies, with interesting effects. We will divulge more on this matter later in development.

_Arhaeus_

Arcane
Developer
The Terran Shield Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign will start on March 12 this year.

Until the campaign start, you can purchase the promotional The Terran Shield limited edition package at 15$ with 25% off from the retail price, from our site:
http://www.terran-shield.com/pledge.htm

We also updated The Prophecy trailer with another alien’s message that we intercepted just prior to the Borneo Island attack.

You can read a large interview about the game here:
http://techvibe.ro/terran-shield/2/

tindrli

Arcane
i wonder if global warming effects happend in 2030 why the startgame trailer earth look the same as polar caps didnt melt?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
74799fadab60cca8d46dda66bf3111a2.jpg

invasion-of-saucer-men.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom