Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Blackout - Alien: Isolation mobile sequel

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/20th-century-fox-trademarks-alien-blackout-for-use-with-video-games

20th Century Fox trademarks Alien: Blackout for use with video games

posted on 11.24.18 at 08:25 AM EST by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Alien: Blackout” for use with “computer game discs; software, namely game software,” and the like.

The teaser image for The Game Awards 2018, which will air on December 6, teases “Worlds with Change” repeated over and over with a 70s-themed font and a giant “W” in the upper left corner—similar the the Weyland-Yutani Corporation of the Alien franchise. Game designer Hideo Kojima, a friend of awards show host Geoff Keighley, has seemingly also helped tease an announcement.

Stay tuned.

Also this:

Notice it's Alien, not Aliens.

Carefully optimistic.

Wunderbar

Arcane
They will find a way to fuck this up.
Probably some game-as-service bullshit, where you play as colonial marine and alien eggs are lootboxes.

ortucis

Prophet
Ugh, like others, thought it was the good Alien Shooter series. Fuck Aliens franchise, like the movies have. :smug:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Was always more of a Zombie Shooter person myself.

ss_6fe404c161670c2d988c91c919ff7ba4b1acd198.jpg

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn I was actually hoping for a modern Alien Shooter sequel. Like a horde FPS shooter, or maybe just another charming nonsense loot 'em up.

ortucis

Prophet
Was always more of a Zombie Shooter person myself.

ss_6fe404c161670c2d988c91c919ff7ba4b1acd198.jpg

Same. Zombie Shooter has better visuals too. But I played AS first (I think back in 2009).

Is it just me or their visual quality keeps fluctuating between games?

EDIT: Just checked, WTF is this Alien Hallway crap?

They've gone down in quality like Alien movie sequels. :argh:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So it looks like the (co-op) shooter from Cold Iron Studios is not this Blackout thing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
'Please disregard the support I am getting from the developers as I push their product for my own agenda, whilst also shitting upon the target demographic.' - Ambient_Malice.

And to answer that "entitled" argument - the reason for the "virulent hate" is because mobile games have failed, up to this point, to:

#1 show that they're a better alternative to gaming on a desktop computer, laptop, current-gen console or even an older generation of console as far back as the third generation (read: mid-1980s).
#2 successfully play on the strengths of the mobile platform to create an unique gaming experience, instead of a watered-down experience drawn directly from any of the aforementioned platforms. The sole (possible) exception is Pokémon Go, and therein lies the problem - it is a single game in a market that is supposed to contain tens of thousands of titles and reach hundreds of millions of users, anywhere, anytime.
#3 successfully make a 'killer app' - a term used to describe a game that draws people towards the platform. Past examples include the latest Zelda game on the latest Nintendo console, Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis, Dungeon Master on the Atari ST and Doom for PCs.
#4 shake off the stigma of mobile games being nothing more but blatant money grabs, with intentional malevolent game design so that people sink endless money into the games.

Case in point, this looks to be a Five Nights at Freddy's rip-off. BUT... I've said it before, the Alien franchise is the only franchise that could possibly pull that off, so I'm not going to dismiss this outright. In fact I'd like to see more... though for obvious reasons there's no chance in hell I'll ever buy it or play it.

Another point from gaming history (and a huge point of irony for this game) is that before Alien: Isolation there was only one game worth talking about that was based on the original film, and that was the eponymous 1984 release on the ZX Spectrum and other 8-bits. In that game you control the crew of the Nostromo as they try to get rid of their unbidden guest by issuing orders and moving them about the ship in a boardgame-style manner, from a top-down perspective game made to look as if you're seeing the ship's layout through a viewing screen. So in a way one can claim that Alien: Blackout is a remake of the original Alien game, 35 years later.

EDIT: Wrong date, corrected.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Wait isn't that exactly like the very first second Atari Alien game??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(1984_video_game) said:
Alien is an omniscient menu driven game. The player is put in charge of all of the crew members of the Nostromo. The game starts with one of the crew members being killed by the alien, which mirrors the death of Kane when he gives birth to the alien in the movie. The player moves the characters around on a map-grid representation of the ship as they search for the alien.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom