Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've always thought about a bow only run. But it seems really tough but I will try it out in the future. Bet I'd get the shit kicked out me of using bow only. But could be fun as well

It's actually one of the toughest runs I, personally, had. Every shot costs you souls. If you miss, you lose souls, for nothing.
Another negative is that, in order to actually do damage (if you want to do damage :P ) - you need to go DEX/FTH for Gwyndolyn's bow. (which might also give you, tempting, access to the offensive lightning family spells - your call if you want to use them or not)

But the bright side is that you can take down most things before they even get to you - and that headshots from arrows into pretty much any mobs' face looks hilarious. You'll laugh a LOT. ^__^

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I mean, play the game however you want, but just taking the biggest weapon with the most poise damage and stun-locking everything to oblivion is definitely the least fun way to play these games imo.

Actually I feel like Soulsborne games and Monster Hunter games are one of the few action / action-rpg games where using big-ass swords feels amazing. You really feel the weight of it. Most other games treat it as if you're using candy cane with a pasted on greatsword .jpeg .

It feels cool but it's kind of broken in souls games, just waaaay better than any other weapon type. It's more balanced in monster hunter though

Deflowerer

Arcane
I mean, it was pretty obvious from the get-go that guns are only for parrying in Bloodborne, or alternatively, being-pussy-of-the-last-resort when a boss has just a teeny weeny HP left.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I mean, it was pretty obvious from the get-go that guns are only for parrying in Bloodborne, or alternatively, being-pussy-of-the-last-resort when a boss has just a teeny weeny HP left.

I guess I was hopeful that you could be a machine gunner like in monster hunter

yqtzzgcsy3zplkoo7b8x.jpg

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I mean, play the game however you want, but just taking the biggest weapon with the most poise damage and stun-locking everything to oblivion is definitely the least fun way to play these games imo.

Actually I feel like Soulsborne games and Monster Hunter games are one of the few action / action-rpg games where using big-ass swords feels amazing. You really feel the weight of it. Most other games treat it as if you're using candy cane with a pasted on greatsword .jpeg .

I feel like heavy builds in general are broken and I think From Soft thinks so too, judging by how they try to rework poise in every game. But hey, if you like it, great, more power to you.

No Great Name

Arcane
When I played through Dark Souls 1, I went for a Dex build and used Ricard's Rapier against Artorias. It was like pricking him with a tooth pick and I had to learn the aforementioned dance and have lots of patience in order to beat him. My weapon didn't have enough power to interrupt him when he buffed himself up and my defense wasn't that good so I played extra carefully until his buff wore off where I became a bit more aggressive again.

baturinsky

Arcane
Also, fuck all DS questlines, especially Greirat and Orbeck in DS3. I have never managed to save Grerat in Irrithyl in any playthrough, and I have just found out that on my Sorcerer character Orbeck has skipped the town.
Actually, absolutely all questlines in DS3 are illogical, random and fucked up.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the worst is in the first dark souls where if you give the first snake guy the lordvessel you get locked out of the pvp covenant. That shit's infuriating

First off, the Darkwraiths are not the only PvP covenant.

Second off, I have the feeling that your "the pvp covenant" statement indirectly proclaims that they are the best PvP-oriented covenant. Which is blatantly untrue, even if they are the most popular.

And third off, you don't "get locked off" by any one.

This is the old church. It was abandoned in favour of the church that you passed through. There are paths leading from here to two forbidden planes: Sen's Fortress, and Darkroot Garden. They attract all sorts of lunatics, no-one as cultured as yourself. It's fine to be Undead, but keep a level head, eh? Hah hah hah!

No one forces you to deliver anything, or do anything.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
First off, the Darkwraiths are not the only PvP covenant.

Second off, I have the feeling that your "the pvp covenant" statement indirectly proclaims that they are the best PvP-oriented covenant. Which is blatantly untrue, even if they are the most popular.

???????????????????? Yeah go load up remastered and join forest covenant, message me 80 years from now when you get summoned to 2v1 someone

And third off, you don't "get locked off" by any one.

This is the old church. It was abandoned in favour of the church that you passed through. There are paths leading from here to two forbidden planes: Sen's Fortress, and Darkroot Garden. They attract all sorts of lunatics, no-one as cultured as yourself. It's fine to be Undead, but keep a level head, eh? Hah hah hah!

No one forces you to deliver anything, or do anything.

25101.jpg

ok shill I'm sure everyone likes spending 40 hours building their first character only to realize that they can't invade because they didn't fit some obtuse word puzzle together. Souls games are full of this kind of bullshit btw which is like 80% of the reason why people think the games are so hard

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also, fuck all DS questlines, especially Greirat and Orbeck in DS3. I have never managed to save Grerat in Irrithyl in any playthrough, and I have just found out that on my Sorcerer character Orbeck has skipped the town.
Actually, absolutely all questlines in DS3 are illogical, random and fucked up.

The reason why most people probably always fail to save Greirat in Irithyll is because they also do the Siegward quest line and visit the Irithyll Dungeon before killing Pontiff. If you do Siegward's quest line, he is the one who has to save Greirat even if Patches would be viable. And when you enter Irithyll Dungeons, Siegward moves there and is no longer in Irithyll where he has to be in order to save Greirat.

TL;DR when you enter Irithyll, kill Pontiff (or the Demon boss in Smouldering Lake) before you go to Irithyll Dungeons.

The_Mask

Patron
ok shill I'm sure everyone likes spending 40 hours building their first character only to realize that they can't invade

There are multiple ways to PvP other than invasions.

Your vision/perception of the game's mechanics is askew and narrow.

It's sad the community is split now, because I would send you back to make a dragonbro +3 and a cop +3, just to prove a point. Thanks Namco...

Really, caring about covenants? Far bigger is the issue of your pyromancy trainer dying because you told him yes. Then to get the next pyromancy trainer you need a +10 flame, which if you didn't already get from the guy who just died you'll need to head to the final pyromancy trainer to upgrade (himself somewhat obscure) and then backtrack to a rather obscure place you'd never revisit in the area you'd never want to revisit.

This screws an entire build and character class for newbies. On the other hand if you're 1/10th of the skill required to pursue PvP you can just speed run from SL1 or on NG+ no problem.

Nevermind the whole magic trainer in a barrel who goes hostile if you don't know to roll through it thing. That's another great way to kill another build without knowing.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
All this weird secretive shit makes Souls games so great and is one of the reason why the latter games weren't as good as the original. By the time DkS2 came out, the biggest secret was probably Darklurker and people had it figured out by day 2. This is also why this new overhaul mod is pretty fun. There's a bunch of new secrets that nobody has figured out yet and even the main progression is something a lot of players are having a hard time with.

Steezus new overhaul mod? To what are you referring?

By the way, Dark souls virgin here. Do I need a gamepad to play it, or can I do also with keyboard?

Any mod worth having on pc?

Any skill you actually recommend not using? Not referring in general (I don't want game to be spoiled) just to skills that one should know from beginning that are useless.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It's called Daughters of Ash. It changes a bunch of shit like general progression and boss fights and adds new secrets and mechanics, while keeping in line with the game's original feeling. Autism 'dex hates it already whithout playing it once, so you already know that it's worth trying. But you shouldn't concern yourself with the mod until you finish DkS1 at least once, preferrably multiple times and figure out most vanilla secrets.

Gamepad is highly recommended, I use my PS4 controller.

There's only one necessary mod and you might not even need it, depending on which version of the game you own. If you have the old Prepare to Die Edition on Steam, which can't be purchased anymore, you absolutely need DSfix. It fixes resolution and unlocks framerate. If you own the Remaster, you're good to go.

The_Mask

Patron
Do I need a gamepad to play it, or can I do also with keyboard?

I beat it with ms+kb. Options are everywhere, and technical limitations are not an issue.

Any skill you actually recommend not using?

I don't know what you mean, but generally skip investing in rezistance. Any skill you need to know is revealed in the tutorial, and you should pay attention to the tutorial.

Deflowerer

Arcane
All this weird secretive shit makes Souls games so great and is one of the reason why the latter games weren't as good as the original. By the time DkS2 came out, the biggest secret was probably Darklurker and people had it figured out by day 2. This is also why this new overhaul mod is pretty fun. There's a bunch of new secrets that nobody has figured out yet and even the main progression is something a lot of players are having a hard time with.

It's just the size of the player base. When you have hundreds of thousands of players playing the game, secrets are a lot easier to figure out. Daughters of Ash is really niche in comparison.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Steezus new overhaul mod? To what are you referring?

By the way, Dark souls virgin here. Do I need a gamepad to play it, or can I do also with keyboard?

Any mod worth having on pc?

Any skill you actually recommend not using? Not referring in general (I don't want game to be spoiled) just to skills that one should know from beginning that are useless.

I think Dark Souls plays better on M+KB, assuming that you have actual camera control (original players of the PTDE got shafted by the worst implementation of mouse controls I've ever seen in a game). If you play with the Remaster, I've heard everything is pretty much good to go in this department, but if you have the Prepare To Die Edition, you need DSFix and the Dark Souls Input Customizer.

Don't level Resistance; you can figure out the rest. Have fun and tell us how it goes!

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
All this weird secretive shit makes Souls games so great and is one of the reason why the latter games weren't as good as the original.

Yeah great secrets such as:
  • Resistance is a useless stat
  • STR weapons are broken
  • leveling any stat past 40 is a waste
  • quest lines make no sense and are only completed by sheer luck
  • rolling isn't omnidirectional
  • Non-optional boss encounter requires you to equip a random ring found on the other side of the game world, and jump down a giant fucking hole after the game tells you for 30 hours that "falling = death"

The_Mask

Patron
Resistance is a useless stat
I know this will come as a shock to you, but... there is a build where you can use dung pies to go through most of the game, and that build relies heavily on rezistance in lategame or NG+ runs.

STR weapons are broken
You're stupid.

leveling any stat past 40 is a waste
No.

quest lines make no sense and are only completed by sheer luck
Arguably only Siegmeyers' and Rhea's (if you want her to live) have that issue. Maybe.

But otherwise, no.

rolling isn't omnidirectional
De gustibus non est disputandum. I actually like that. Keeps things simple.

But let's say you have a point here. Moving on.

Non-optional boss encounter requires you to equip a random ring found on the other side of the game world, and jump down a giant fucking hole after the game tells you for 30 hours that "falling = death"
This is so stupid, I'm not even going to address it.

So out of all the points you threw up through your keyboard, only one stands. And even that one is arguable.

Cool story, bro.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Oh get the fuck out fanboy, imagine being this deluded. Literally hours ago telling someone to not level resistance then backtracking because "TEHRES THIS ONE BUILD WHERE U THROW SHIT AT THINGS AND IT TAKES 5 MINUTES TO KILL TRASH MOBS" holy shit

You're right this game is perfect in every way absolutely no problems 400 iq game designers now fuck off and leave me alone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom