Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Last edited:
The fuck!?
:what:

Not only is there a Flotilla 2 that I somehow hadn't heard about, and it's been out for months, it's apparently VR only of all fucking things. Kind of a shame since I would've liked a cleaner Flotilla which I'd hope for from a sequel.

ortucis

Prophet
So, this game looks fun:

Also, found this:

:positive:

EDIT: Purchased Reigns, Kingsway and Deep Sky Derelicts. Paid 50% of total with my card sales earnings too. Overall, happy with these turn of events. Now to play all games in my inventory and sell cards for 2020 sale. :lol:

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane

ss_df3bc98868a6d7618b488eb1388699c31bf29d26.1920x1080.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

So people are just making up games now to claim oldfag status?

To clarify:

It's supposed to be a game from 1987 that was very ahead of its time, and comparable to Another World, Flashback, or Prince of Persia.
The ZIP download also contains three screenshots.
The commenters seem to remember it... One of them is "JMenko" who is also the uploader.

Another place with a download: http://www.classicdosgames.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1623

The uploader is "JohnM". I wonder if he is the same as the "JMenko" above, since they share the same initials...
He writes "I was currently able to play only the first part of the game".
I wonder how, since I couldn't get the game to work...
People there also complain about the game not working.

The first post has the three screenshots from archive.org plus a new one.

Also, this ZIP file here contains only README.EXE and SETUP.EXE.
README.EXE matches the README.EXE in the archive.org ZIP.
SETUP.EXE matches the ETERNAL.EXE in the archive.org ZIP.

Someone mentions the empty .dat files that are only in the archive.org version.
The first post was edited once, so I guess the post originally has that version as well.

Analysis of the files:
(Don't just believe me -- look into them yourself!)

* Most files contain only zero bytes.
As noted in the classicdosgames forum:

laserghost said:
I wonder how is this game supposed to work if all the .dat files are empty.

* ANLGSND1.DAT, ANLGSND2.DAT, ANLGSND3.DAT
These are the copies of the DIGISND1.DAT, DIGISND2.DAT, DIGISND3.DAT files from Prince of Persia 1 (DOS) v1.0.
What are these files doing in a game supposedly from 1987?

* MELEE.COM
According to the text in the file, this is a "Star Control II crack".
This is also noted in the forum:
laserghost said:
The crack for Star Control II doesn't seem to help.
icon_lol.gif
I wonder where are you going with it.

* MELEE.PKG
This is a picture with some unknown header. If you set the width to 256 in your hex editor, you'll see that it spells "STAR CONTROL 2 SUPER MELEE" at the top.

* SETUP.EXE
This is supposed to be the installer. It asks for disk 2, but it can't find it, so the only option is to quit.
It doesn't seem to contain the names of any files around it.
On startup it mentions DPMI. But DPMI was introduced only in 1989!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_Prote ... _Interface

* ETERNAL.EXE
This seems to be a different version of the installer.
It seems to start up somewhat faster.
It doesn't contain the names of any files around it, either. I has only some DOS commands to create and remove directories from "INSTALL1" to "INSTALL8".

* README.EXE
This displays the manual of the game. (You can redirect it to a file.)
It tells how to register the game (through an 1-800 phone number), the story (with some typos), how to install, and controls.
There is no info about who made the game, though.
Also, was the word "folder" used for directories on DOS, back in 1987?

* The EXE files contain error messages like "RETURN without GOSUB" and "Out of DATA".
This means that they were made in Basic.
This, by itself, does not prove anything, though.
There were some actual games made in Basic, like Castle Adventure (1984), Prisoner (1988), or Aquanoid (1992).

* screenshot_1.png
Open it in a hex editor or text editor.
You will find this in the metadata:

<photoshop:TextLayers>
<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">
<photoshop:LayerName>@1987 T.E.C. CGA MODE</photoshop:LayerName>
<photoshop:LayerText>@1987 T.E.C. CGA MODE</photoshop:LayerText>
</rdf:li>
<photoshop:LayerName>SYNTH ENABLED</photoshop:LayerName>
<photoshop:LayerText>SYNTH ENABLED</photoshop:LayerText>
<photoshop:LayerName>Layer 17</photoshop:LayerName>
<photoshop:LayerText/>
</rdf:Bag>
</photoshop:TextLayers>

It looks like the texts on the title screen were added with Photoshop.
Why would someone do this on a genuine screenshot?

I found this out when I was searching the texts on the picture in the game's files.
But those texts appear only in this PNG file, not in any of the EXEs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Seems like it might be a kind of Polybius-inspired performance art, no? Wink wink nudge nudge.

No, I see no reason to grant them that kind of recognition.

Polybius was always treated like it was some kind of myth, or at the very least there was myth surrounding it.

This one outright states that the game has existed for over 30 years, but the only shred of evidence found is full of stolen files or empty datasets, obviously planted there by someone as a probable tie-in to this game.

All they have to do is change the phrasing of the game's description to give it a thin veil of mythical mystique.

Even creepypastas do a better job of that than this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Seems like it might be a kind of Polybius-inspired performance art, no? Wink wink nudge nudge.

No, I see no reason to grant them that kind of recognition.

Polybius was always treated like it was some kind of myth, or at the very least there was myth surrounding it.

This one outright states that the game has existed for over 30 years, but the only shred of evidence found is full of stolen files or empty datasets, obviously planted there by someone as a probable tie-in to this game.

All they have to do is change the phrasing of the game's description to give it a thin veil of mythical mystique.

Even creepypastas do a better job of that than this.

So, you are butthurt because the devs pulled a PR stunt? :)

Well, who cares, the game is quite good.

Modron

Arcane
Dark Wish gets released.

Really old school adventure game

Not much of interest released post sale so here is some prosperous content to pad this post.

Snails!

Shoutboxer simulator

Finally a reason to buy a vr headset

lightbane

Arcane
So people are just making up games now to claim oldfag status?

Yep, it has obvious scummy practices...

Well, who cares, the game is quite good.

But the gameplay video looks good. Alas, it really needs a "full color" patch, as the graphic style makes it hard to discern what's going on sometimes, as the video shows, especially the intro text, which is hard to read. I guess in the grim future of the not-80s, grammatical rules are a lost art. Also, the game seems to have clunky hit detection and a stamina bar, for some reason.
The worst of all is that according to reviews it's too short (2 hours or so), so don't buy without waiting for sale/s.

lightbane

Arcane
Welp, the Castle game is even shorter than I thought. Here's the second (and last) part of that video gameplay. However, while I doubt there are alternate endings, there's hidden stuff the videos didn't show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom