Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's funny that mods exist to get rid of Beamdog's fanfic-level companions, restore the old FMVs, etc.

Ofc, no amount of mods can restore the original experience for EE players.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But is the original experience really better than EE?
The resolution is tiny, which was not such a problem back then since monitors were small, but the worst part was how easy it was since most enemies lacked any Call for Help AI and you could just pick out enemies one by one. I remember I thought that was so lame that I started activating whole enemy groups instead to provide some challenge.
The original vanilla BG1 is not really that great a game; it really needs mods to become that.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My 100 write-ups were written based on original installs run on current gen hardware/OS. Framerates are superior to EE as is compatibility and stability. This is the same for IWD, as reported here. If you think I'm telling tall tales, I don't give a fuck. I am the leading commentator for these games, not apostle hand and malpercio (who are shitposting trolls, and grubs).

None of my write-ups are based on WinXP guests run through VirtualBox. I only mention that because it does run even better. As do most games from that era, including Jagged Alliance 2.

The original games are the authoritative versions, standard for 20 years. I have written at length as to why they are superior, and won't be repeating myself for attention-seeking grubs like Octavius, who can't be bothered reading more than a few sentences at a time.

Poseidon00

Arcane
The original games don't have Hexxat, the undisputed most interesting character in the game, or the creativity of rehashing Icewind Dale final bosses. EE's > originals.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The original vanilla BG1 is not really that great a game; it really needs mods to become that.

It only needs SCS and the widescreen mod. Something that ads in containers (scroll cases, quivers, gem bags) is useful as well.

People (you know who) keep talking about playing without mods to get the "real" experience but if the real experience was superior then there would not be mods. Not everyone is going to play the game 7 times to try out every permutation of setups so most people should just go with the best one right away.

Yosharian

Arcane
My 100 write-ups were written based on original installs run on current gen hardware/OS. Framerates are superior to EE as is compatibility and stability. This is the same for IWD, as reported here. If you think I'm telling tall tales, I don't give a fuck. I am the leading commentator for these games, not apostle hand and malpercio (who are shitposting trolls, and grubs).

None of my write-ups are based on WinXP guests run through VirtualBox. I only mention that because it does run even better. As do most games from that era, including Jagged Alliance 2.

The original games are the authoritative versions, standard for 20 years. I have written at length as to why they are superior, and won't be repeating myself for attention-seeking grubs like Octavius, who can't be bothered reading more than a few sentences at a time.
Wait the frame rates of the originals are better than the EEs?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sorry, baby, but I'm not really interested in reading a blog where my comments may be arbitrarily deleted.

It's funny you say that, because I have credited you in my write-ups. Since then, you've been an ass. And still, your crediting remains along with thanks. That's balanced.

Yosharian

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How is it possible that the frame rates are worse? How bad are we talking?

They are worse in that they are lower and also inconsistent across the board. I didn't measure it, but it's easily perceivable in-play. This varies from setup to setup, but there are many threads complaining about EE framerate drops and UI-based lag.

Cael

Arcane
The original games don't have Hexxat, the undisputed most interesting character in the game, or the creativity of rehashing Icewind Dale final bosses. EE's > originals.
giphy.gif

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
How is it possible that the frame rates are worse? How bad are we talking?

They are worse in that they are lower

I meant how is it possible for Beamdog to have made the frame rates worse, not 'how can a frame rate be worse', but OK, my bad for not framing the question better *chortle*

Probably something to do with their zoom/WS hack. Beamdog cannot into programing. I will agree that the originals with the WS mod play crisper.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I will agree that the originals with the WS mod play crisper.

The originals without the WS mod play "crisper" (we're talking framerates here). 2008 newfags: Melcar and oldmanpaco :lol:

If anyone's wondering why I'm taking these four posters to task, it's because they've posted against me in the past out of petty spite. Balance, in all things.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I have written first part of my BG2 EE walkthrough : Escaping The Dungeon

https://darksideofrpgs.blogspot.com/2019/01/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition.html

Baldur_2019_01_07_15_29_18_241.jpg

Hmm I'll take a look.

Playthrough is unmodded, that means it is pretty much vanilla so it can be as much user friendly to youngsters, which this walkthrough is aimed for, and also to preserve original Beamdog vision.
Wait what?

can be as much user friendly to youngsters, which this walkthrough is aimed for, and also to preserve original Beamdog vision.

Let me read that again...

also to preserve original Beamdog vision.

Something is wrong...

original Beamdog vision

:hahyou:

Cael

Arcane
I have written first part of my BG2 EE walkthrough : Escaping The Dungeon

https://darksideofrpgs.blogspot.com/2019/01/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition.html

Baldur_2019_01_07_15_29_18_241.jpg

Hmm I'll take a look.

Playthrough is unmodded, that means it is pretty much vanilla so it can be as much user friendly to youngsters, which this walkthrough is aimed for, and also to preserve original Beamdog vision.
Wait what?

can be as much user friendly to youngsters, which this walkthrough is aimed for, and also to preserve original Beamdog vision.

Let me read that again...

also to preserve original Beamdog vision.

Something is wrong...

original Beamdog vision

:hahyou:
You weren't here for the Apostle Hand = Mmmmhmmmkgrlll fiasco? Guy's a shitposter supremo.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Framerates per second are fixed at 30 both in EEs and in the originals.
I didn't notice slowdowns in any EE if that is what you mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom