Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

sullynathan

Arcane
I have beat the game, just about 70+ hours in total. I have to say for the 4 - 5 Monster Hunters I've played (Freedom, Freedom Unite, 3 & Portable 3rd) this was easily the best one. It also reminded me that I didn't beat those games, only beat all the low rank missions in Freedom & Portable 3rd so maybe I'll go back to them in the future to compare to World.

The game is pretty great but there are improvements that can be made. I'm looking forward to Iceborne next year and I'll keep playing more because of the monsters after high rank. Kulve Taroth is on so I'll try that.

Vorark

Erudite
You should check 4U and XX too, Citra runs them just fine. World plays like a smoother 4U, it's probably what they really wanted to do but were limited by the 3DS hardware.

sullynathan

Arcane
So from my Monster List I've fought just about every Monster barring Great Girros & Kirin. There's a lot of good monsters in the game, and a few shit ones.

I fought Kulve Taroth once and died, even at that I somehow got a good amount of loot and weapons which was odd. On the otherhand, his armor set requires a ridiculous amount of items to get them.

These gems from monsters are really the most annoying thing to get. Their 2% - 5% drop rate is terrible.

So, behemoth is a shit fight.
Echoing this. I ran into the fight and it's shit. Can't actually beat the boss and the boss can't get staggered at all. Just a giant meat sponge that almost every attack can one shot the player. I guess this is what the fanbase actually wants since they keep complaining that World is "easy"

Hyperion

Arcane
Their 2% - 5% drop rate is terrible.
You can use the Silver / Gold Wyverian Prints you get from the Weekly Quest to make them at the melder. Also, Gold colored rewards have a higher chance of rewarding gems (~14% or something?). Finally, you can actually carve the Gem off of certain body parts that can be cut. Nergigante Gem, for example, can be carved off his Tail for an extra chance at getting one each hunt.

Still sucks, but it's something at the very least.

Ivan

Arcane
Q: after enjoying Monster Hunter World well enough, which would be a better follow up

Monster Honter 3U on the Wii U

or wait for Monster Hunter Generations U on the Switch?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Q: after enjoying Monster Hunter World well enough, which would be a better follow up

MH3U might be a tough sell. The gameplay is more limited and the monsters still suffer from a lot more HP bloat than they do in future titles. But it has some of the best monsters so I still recommend giving it a go. MH4U is pretty good too if you have a 3DS. I really disliked MHGen so I'm not gonna recommend it.

Phobos

Novice
I'm a PSP Monster Hunter babbie myself so I am wondering whats so bad about MHGen? Isn't it just a giant mashup of all Monster Hunter biomes and hubs with anime moves? Sounds pretty
dope
to me.

Vorark

Erudite
^ Yeah, I disliked the animu attack moves (I'm now it's optional but austism). And that horrible loli catgirl. And the ending credits. I can't take that much weeb anymore. Nope.

Your best bet might be 4U, it's the most similar to World, has G-Rank and can be easily emulated on Citra. If you own a 3DS, it has free online too.

Generations Ultimate is alright, its main points are being able to change the weapons movesets, special moves and access to most monsters. It felt like a series departure to me but your mileage may vary. You could also try XX, it's the Japanese version of GU which is available for the 3DS. There's a patch to backport the English translation if you're interested.

As Hobo Elf told you, 3U is a bit different, the weapons are slower, Charge Blade and Insect Glaive aren't in and water combat can be a dealbreaker to some people. However, the monster roster is the best, soundtrack is fantastic, maps lack any kind of terrain elevation and, while subjective, art direction was great. I was also fond of the story, simple as it was. If you have access to a WiiU, the online is still operational.

You could also go tr00 hardcore oldfart and play Freedom Unite. You'll then learn what sinking feeling truly means and understand all the Plesioth memes.

But seriously, considering the ones most similar to World, go either 4U (my suggestion) or GU (XX if you don't own a Switch).

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Did the math, for me to get the best weapons within every category I need 1,986,000 z. :dead:

I want to expand what weapons I use, but this shitty Elder Dragon farming is getting on my nerves.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm a PSP Monster Hunter babbie myself so I am wondering whats so bad about MHGen? Isn't it just a giant mashup of all Monster Hunter biomes and hubs with anime moves? Sounds pretty
dope
to me.
Didn't like the Hunter Arts or Styles. They don't really mesh well with the Monster Hunter experience, especially Hunter Arts. They were also poorly thought out and designed and some of the Arts and Styles ended up being ridiculously OP and made the game about exploiting crutch moves to cheese your way to the top. Adept Style in particular gave you Evade +3 for free. Lots of bad players got to the end game because of this without the need to learn how to play the actual game and it became a pain to play with others. Not that the end game was particularly fun anyway, the devious ticket farming was a low IQ system that promoted even more grinding than usual, only in a very artificial way.

Perkel

Arcane
True but some of the arts were quite fun to use and gave some weapons ability to quickly close up to monster like GS.
Aerial while a bit weird imho made Dual Blades finally playable for me and made a lot of sense for that weapon.
Imho it is fun spin off but anyone looking to do most of the stuff will barf from amount of shitty annoying gathering quests.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Will it be possible on the PC version to mod in timed exclusives like Kulve Taroth so you can always fight it singleplayer without having to be beholden to the whims of timed exclusivity?

Perkel

Arcane
Will it be possible on the PC version to mod in timed exclusives like Kulve Taroth so you can always fight it singleplayer without having to be beholden to the whims of timed exclusivity?

There was already one but dude stopped updating it as he no longer plays game and he hidden it on nexus (to not get people raging about not being compat with latest patches)
Events are fairly moddable and some people already added few. Unlocking timed events shouldn't be hard.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'd just like to have an even playing field in a multiplayer game but that's too much to ask from azns.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Welp, is it me or xeno'jiiva is really easy compared to other eldee dragon fights?

Teostra, kushala gave me harder time, hell bezelguese was pain af the first time i fought it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Welp, is it me or xeno'jiiva is really easy compared to other eldee dragon fights?

Teostra, kushala gave me harder time, hell bezelguese was pain af the first time i fought it.
Xeno is easy but a pretty good boss.

I hated kushala, died to him until I later learned that flash bugs ruled the day and his wind blasts were not that threatening.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Xeno is easy but a pretty good boss.

I hated kushala, died to him until I later learned that flash bugs ruled the day and his wind blasts were not that threatening.
at least to its defense, it is literally just a baby. I like in the first stage of the fight he just stumble around randomly attacking with pure instinct and brute force.

I kinda feel bad tbh, if they let it grow a couple hundred years it might have been a badass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom