Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
PoE 1 actually sold like hotcakes. It was quite profitable for Obsidian. Anyway, I did exactly what you talk about with Deadfire, I've owned it on Steam since before the backer beta, but only started it in earnest recently.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
PoE 1 actually sold like hotcakes. It was quite profitable for Obsidian. Anyway, I did exactly what you talk about with Deadfire, I've owned it on Steam since before the backer beta, but only started it in earnest recently.

No, it didn't sale like hotcakes. Around 1 million sales are nothing in this day and age. We are talking about a game with a GREAT metacritic score based on many reviews, critics loved it. Yet the game just didn't manage to sell well. I mean, Fallout 4 got a much lower metascore the same year and it sold like 25m copies... Yes, they are not the same thing, one is a AAA openworld powerhouse and the other was an indie niche new IP, but i would expect it to sell more, like 2-3 or even 4 million... I mean, RPGs ARE popular, shouldn't quality ones sell a little more?

2house2fly

Magister
A million sales isn't much by AAA standards, but for an isometric 2D game with no cutscenes and sparse voice acting in 2015 it's big time. Pillars is one of the top sellers in its genre

Mazisky

Magister
A million sales isn't much by AAA standards, but for an isometric 2D game with no cutscenes and sparse voice acting in 2015 it's big time. Pillars is one of the top sellers in its genre

A game can be considered a commercial success if:

Indie title (like Darkest dungeons, Binding of Isaac, etc.) > 100.000

Medium title (like Pillars or Nuxcom) > 1.000.000

Triple A (like Gta or Assassin creed) > 4.000.000

Vityaz

Augur
Anyone here willing to share their save file where your Watcher has learned Scale Breaker from Falanroed, the dragon hunter? (the Master Below quest, Adra dragon etc.). Pretty much the part where you decide to double cross the dragon.

I am fiddling with my older PoE1 save through Eternity Keeper, which I want to import to DF (since the legacy creator omits some minor stuff), and this is the only thing I missed. So need to find out what number is the correct variable. (n_Falanroed_State)

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Falanroed

TL;DR: If you have a PoE1 save where you've defeated the Adra Dragon and got the Scale Breaker talent from Falanroed, would you be willing to share?
Thanks in advance.:love:

Last edited:

Vityaz

Augur
Damn, spoke too soon. EternityKeeper for some reason won't let me open your save. It's stuck in an endless loop.

Lacrymas any chance you could perhaps check if EK works on your end for the save? Also I am assuming you were playing this on the Definitive Edition/last patch? And are you using Linux or a non-64 Windows version? (stuff like this apparently affects the save editor)

I am pretty much just looking for the "n_Falanroed_State" variable number under the Edit Globals menu.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Latest patch, yeah. EK doesn't even open my saves, it just gets stuck at searching.

Vityaz

Augur
Latest patch, yeah. EK doesn't even open my saves, it just gets stuck at searching.

Ah well. Thanks for the help anyway. I decided to just roll with my save as it is.

Too much headache involved with the various variables and such.

Thane Solus

Arcane
The voice for Aloth's other soul Islysomething is man voiced, but they keep telling me is a woman, is this a fucking SJW drove, or its something i dont understand? I hope is just me....

Thane Solus

Arcane
The voice for Aloth's other soul Islysomething is man voiced, but they keep telling me is a woman, is this a fucking SJW drove, or its something i dont understand? I hope is just me....

Dude it's still Aloth talking :|

Oh yeah that makes sense, the soul inside is a woman or his dual personality is a woman, ok, thanks! Such a shit writing in this game man, from characters to the fucking story:(

Thank god i was wrong this time.

Tigranes

Arcane

Dude it's still Aloth talking :|

Oh yeah that makes sense, the soul inside is a woman or his dual personality is a woman, ok, thanks! Such a shit writing in this game man, from characters to the fucking story:(

Thank god i was wrong this time.

Plenty of schizos historically heard voices of men women children whatever, and same goes for shamans and the like who might suddenly go 'possessed' and speak in the voice of a young boy or old woman etc.

I found Aloth boring in general. His entire schtick seemed ok but nothing memorable.

JDR13

Arcane
I played the first chapter shortly after it was released and lost interest for some reason. I'm going to give it another try soon, and I'm trying to decide on what class to go with. Any suggestions? I'm kind of liking what I've seen and heard of Druids in this game.

Also, is there any good PoE related reading material out there? I think one of the reasons I lost interest before was my lack of familiarity with the game world. I didn't have a clue what faction did this or who worshipped what god.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wizard takes the prize as the most useful and most fun class in the game. It just takes a few levels to get off the ground. Barbarian is one of the more fun classes, and has the benefit of not being doubled up by a companion until White March. Ranger is extremely boring.

JDR13

Arcane
Wizard takes the prize as the most useful and most fun class in the game. It just takes a few levels to get off the ground. Barbarian is one of the more fun classes, and has the benefit of not being doubled up by a companion until White March. Ranger is extremely boring.

I'm not big on having a pure caster as my PC.

Yeah, I heard Rangers were pretty lame in this game. Rogues too.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's a party based game reknown for its imbalanced ratio [micro-management/actual decision making].
Rangers and rogues require less micro-management for the same efficiency as a druid or a wizard. Rogues need those disengagement talents in poe1 though, they don't have the mobility they get in deadfire (which makes them one of the funnest class in the sequel).
Plus, there are some unique PC talents in poe1 that are very good on rangers or rogues (the doemenel one comes in mind). I wouldn't dismiss these options.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Rangers are not that flashy, their contribution is split into their own damage and that of their pet (which is not recorded in the stats, AFAIR), but are actually VERY solid. Sagani was one of my most valued party members. As long as you not try to make a main tank of their pet, they are VERY good. Having a sturdy companion to protect the rear with squishy casters is very valuable. And they can contribute VERY solid damage as flankers. Ranger can deal solid ranged damage too.
Basically you get two characters for the price of one.

Rogues were too squishy in PoE1, I thought. Now they rule supreme in PoE2.

But a Barbarian is a pretty great choice in PoE1 (less so in PoE2).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Druids are one-trick ponies, cast the storm of your choice and shapeshift, that's it. Extremely lame and extremely repetitive from level 1 to max.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Infestation of maggots is great, and so is that spell wit the mosquitos. Lifegiver druids are great for healing and buffing, which is an important role on PotD where battles are longer and vs more enemies.

Parabalus

Arcane

Rangers are great, but they aren't the most interactive of classes, which people usually want for their PC.

Rogues OTOH need a lot of micro since they are very squishy, but their single target damage/stunlock is worth it.

Infestation of maggots is great, and so is that spell wit the mosquitos. Lifegiver druids are great for healing and buffing, which is an important role on PotD where battles are longer and vs more enemies.

Wrong game.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Depends on what you consider lame. From pure efficiency standpoint, rangers and rogues are very good.

Rangers have great damage output (and good CC with Borresaine or Stormcaller). AFAIK the game doesn't track pet damage so the total is even higher than what you see in character statistics. One other thing to consider is that all pets of the same subtype are born equal, so Sagani's fox is no worse than a custom ranger's wolf. In Vanilla pets were pathetic but in 3.x wolf can crit for 70+ at level 10 with proper build.

And rogues are just an excellent source of single-target damage. Boss-killers basically. Barbarian or CF spamming wizard will have more damage total, but no-one can drop big guys faster than a rogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom