Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so armags tomb bugged out and won't show up. same happened to the hodag lair for amiris quest and there have been a bunch of smaller annoyances, like the oculus not being usable by ANYONE. can i actually finish the game? or will down the line some other location just fail? let's ask the dice!

result: 11(roll 1 + modifiers: 10)
difficulty: 12

see you in 5 years when the fanpatch reaches version 2.3.

purpleblob

Savant
Perception check on finding Armag's tomb is really high unless you completed the river story book + kingdom mission to find clues - did you finish both?

Gregz

Arcane
so armags tomb bugged out and won't show up. same happened to the hodag lair for amiris quest and there have been a bunch of smaller annoyances, like the oculus not being usable by ANYONE. can i actually finish the game? or will down the line some other location just fail? let's ask the dice!

result: 11(roll 1 + modifiers: 10)
difficulty: 12

see you in 5 years when the fanpatch reaches version 2.3.

People are calling it bugmaker for a reason.

2house2fly

Magister
I don't have any games to play now, so I'm considering giving PK a try. Those companions are such a turn-off though, seems like they've been carefully designed by SJWs who want to cover all their bases. The only ones who seem potentially decent at first glance are Harrim, Jubilost, and Jaethal.

1) Is the game itself as shitty as the companion selection seems (in terms of PC storylines etc.)?
2) I read that you can roll your own companions. Is that possible from the get-go, or only later on?
3) Is playing with only 2 companions a viable challenge?

I couldn't stand most of the companions from DA:O either (basically only liked Dog, Sten, and Loghaine), but was still able to enjoy that game, so perhaps the same will go for PK.
If I were worried about characters in a game being written by people who disagreed with me politically, I would probably look online for developer interviews, that kind of thing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Jaethal is the best female companion. Can't romance her, dialogue is mostly composed of indifference and coldness, supports your evil decisions, talks shit to people during camp, openly admits to murdering sissy bitch elves to become what she is, refers to her daughter as a well-groomed dog, Inquisitor.

Literally no downside.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jaethal is the best female companion. Can't romance her, dialogue is mostly composed of indifference and coldness, supports your evil decisions, talks shit to people during camp, openly admits to murdering sissy bitch elves to become what she is, refers to her daughter as a well-groomed dog, Inquisitor.

Literally no downside.
You forgot to mention that she is undead, a perfect tank and almost nothing can disable her and she cannot be chunked by a random critical.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Never thought of Jaethal for tanking. The more you know.

I don't have any games to play now, so I'm considering giving PK a try. Those companions are such a turn-off though, seems like they've been carefully designed by SJWs who want to cover all their bases. The only ones who seem potentially decent at first glance are Harrim, Jubilost, and Jaethal.

1) Is the game itself as shitty as the companion selection seems (in terms of PC storylines etc.)?
2) I read that you can roll your own companions. Is that possible from the get-go, or only later on?
3) Is playing with only 2 companions a viable challenge?

I couldn't stand most of the companions from DA:O either (basically only liked Dog, Sten, and Loghaine), but was still able to enjoy that game, so perhaps the same will go for PK.

I would give it time. Personally, I hated all the companions during the fortress introduction, but I found them more bearable after that portion of the game. Granted, I have not finished Kingmaker (restarted recently due to hating my PC's class), but to me the characters mellowed out to an extent.

Surprisingly, I like the new Tiefling character(s).

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

Literally no downside.
You forgot to mention that she is undead, a perfect tank and almost nothing can disable her and she cannot be chunked by a random critical.

Interesting, I never even took her in the party, as I don't like evil characters. Plus the amount of stronk wymynz stuffed in your face is a little too high in this game.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Let's say I wanted to play a Lawful Evil character in this game. Would I be able to do so intelligently, or are evil characters mostly destined to be low-grade puppy-kicking bullies who's missing out on quests?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Literally no downside.

Interesting, I never even took her in the party, as I don't like evil characters. Plus the amount of stronk wymynz stuffed in your face is a little too high in this game.
She is not presented as strong because she was molested for being a woman. That is only backstory for Amiri and Valerie. And Valerie is not strong because of it, you soon figure out she is very mentally weak.
And Amiri is also faking most of the time and she is actually very unsure about everything.

Most of these companions are deconstructions of classic fantasy strong women tropes.
Only reason why SJW didn't figure it up is because this game is not as mainstream as others and because most SJW (like their goblin counterparts) are retards.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
But what I actually wanted to post is that I just found out that you can put your baron into the "special slot" during resting. It only works if you are resting inside your barony. Special effect is that you don't need to hunt or use rations, it says your servants gather up needed provisions :)
I don't remember this existing before.. I am playing 1.2 beta version of the game. Not sure if this is some 1.2 thing or I never noticed it before.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Literally no downside.

Jaethal is probably one of the least offensive women characters in CRPG land when it comes to coming on like a fuckface. If we compare them on basis of being neutral evil companions, I'd take Jaethal any day over Viconia. I don't have time for the latter's crazy cunt mood swings and she also sucked in bed. Living in a sexually charged society for centuries and can't even fully heal my guy on an 8 hour rest. Fucking useless.

She also thought she was bigger than the business by betraying Lolth but that's for another tirade.

After taking a few months refractory period over Thanksgiving and Christmas (And getting a SSD large enough I could shove Kingmaker on to it) I've been playing again the last few nights. Forgot how fucking dense this game is. Not that it's particularly difficult or anything, just that there always seems to be something cropping up and going on, plus you actually need to consider travel time/resting time since enough of the quests are time-sensitive that you don't want to take chances. I'm at "Vanishing of Varnhold" right now and may have doomed people since I did a few sidequests before immediately running over there (Beating down the curse on the hill, getting bits for a crafter, a few companion quests, etc) but it's still really goddamn solid. The kingdom management continues to be interesting since it's both pretty well implemented and feels like there's shit going on, but on the flip side it also makes the game less of a relaxing adventure-thon since getting back to town isn't "Rest and restock and sell garbage" as much as it is "Manage the kingdom for a few months before heading out again".

I will say that putting it on an SSD made less of a difference than I was expecting, but it is a bit faster than on the HDD. Still, for some games with sizable loading times there's a difference between night and day so it's a bit of a shame but it's not too obnoxious. I'll have to check for that baron in the special slot thing when I get the chance since I don't remember that existing either. I normally just keep Ekun in there to make my food last a bit longer and (Theoretically at least) make hunting burn less time.

Also, 101 pages? Am I going fucking crazy or did something happen? I could've sworn this thread had a lot more pages than that last time I was playing/posting.

Let's say I wanted to play a Lawful Evil character in this game. Would I be able to do so intelligently, or are evil characters mostly destined to be low-grade puppy-kicking bullies who's missing out on quests?
Mostly intelligently, but there are a few really braindead LE responses. Sometimes you just gotta roll with taking a lawful response or taking an evil response (Or true neutral) but as long as you generally stick to both extremes you're looking for you'll be fine. Last night I had a "Durr hurr you must be a spy! Execute her!" LE response that made no fucking sense since there was zero reason to think it but overall they're tolerable.

Deleted Member 16721

Mostly intelligently, but there are a few really braindead LE responses. Sometimes you just gotta roll with taking a lawful response or taking an evil response (Or true neutral) but as long as you generally stick to both extremes you're looking for you'll be fine. Last night I had a "Durr hurr you must be a spy! Execute her!" LE response that made no fucking sense since there was zero reason to think it but overall they're tolerable.

Isn't it more incline to turn off the alignment dialogue notifications? So you don't know what response is going to garner which alignment? That seems like a better crpg element to me.

Deleted Member 16721

Jaethal is probably one of the least offensive women characters in CRPG land when it comes to coming on like a fuckface. If we compare them on basis of being neutral evil companions, I'd take Jaethal any day over Viconia. I don't have time for the latter's crazy cunt mood swings and she also sucked in bed. Living in a sexually charged society for centuries and can't even fully heal my guy on an 8 hour rest. Fucking useless.

She also thought she was bigger than the business by betraying Lolth but that's for another tirade.

Jaethal is great. I was hoping that there was some Undead romance element, but alas there wasn't. It would have been cool to make her my queen and build an undead Barony under our shared rule.

Isn't it more incline to turn off the alignment dialogue notifications? So you don't know what response is going to garner which alignment? That seems like a better crpg element to me.
I'd normally agree, but it can be a little fuzzy when it comes to D&D alignments. Especially since not every alignment altering moment has options for all alignments available, so it'd be much easier to end up changing your alignment just because you ended up picking the wrong thing too often during moments where there's no lawful/evil option.

As an example, I'd generally say disabling notifications in games when it's related to reputation with companions or whatever is fine, because most often you're working off of an in-game character with shown opinions and likes/dislikes so it's easier for you to act accordingly based on your desires in-game. But when it comes to D&D alignments you're essentially working off of multiple unknown writers, so 3 out of 5 of them might call this dialog option neutral and the other 2 would call it evil and you don't know which writer handled this particular piece of dialog.

Deleted Member 16721

I'd normally agree, but it can be a little fuzzy when it comes to D&D alignments. Especially since not every alignment altering moment has options for all alignments available, so it'd be much easier to end up changing your alignment just because you ended up picking the wrong thing too often during moments where there's no lawful/evil option.

As an example, I'd generally say disabling notifications in games when it's related to reputation with companions or whatever is fine, because most often you're working off of an in-game character with shown opinions and likes/dislikes so it's easier for you to act accordingly based on your desires in-game. But when it comes to D&D alignments you're essentially working off of multiple unknown writers, so 3 out of 5 of them might call this dialog option neutral and the other 2 would call it evil and you don't know which writer handled this particular piece of dialog.

But what of our beloved choices and consequences? if you don't follow your own alignment and don't know it, make a mistake and lose an alignment shouldn't you live with that consequence? That's the type of RPG I'd like to see. Then you have to adapt and make due from what happened.

Funposter

Arcane
Sometimes you just have to pick that Neutral Good option in order to fool your subjects into thinking that you're not a complete tyrant.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What a weird thing to complain about. What names do you prefer? Edgy McEdgelord, Lord Harlfurton the 14th, Jingleberry Lopsicle, Bob, ... ?
Do I need to prove that companions in P:K have stupid generic names - the sort you expect to get from a random fantasy name generator? Do you really not see any difference between 'Durance' and 'Harrim'?

If someone really wanted to play on hardest difficulties, then maybe custom ones would be needed.
Is the Codex about discussing easymode difficulties now? Well, carry on then.

---

The biggest issue with the story companions is that they're just not worth the effort. Theoretically, you get them for free, yet in practice, you need to babysit them constantly. They can leave if they don't like your choices. They will die or betray you if you don't do their personal quests. And yes, I realize it's nothing new, but in P:K companions simply aren't interesting enough to justify the amount of babysitting required. I did play with story companions in PoE - even on PotD. Here I see no reason to keep them around.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

Jaethal is great. I was hoping that there was some Undead romance element, but alas there wasn't. It would have been cool to make her my queen and build an undead Barony under our shared rule.

A+hdi+in+a+sports+car+wait+what+_2d85188af41e8b395d431de75fb45658.jpg

Funposter

Arcane
I was hoping that there was some Undead romance element, but alas there wasn't.

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines thread is two blocks down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom