Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite game of all time?

Hellion

Arcane
Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. Everything about that game still gives me chills to this day.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I feel like giving Planescape: Torment a bump, but truthfully New Vegas is my favourite game of all time.

Thane Solus

Arcane
15097.jpg

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I had to narrow it down to one with a gun to my head it would probably be Darklands. Impossible to tell just how many hours I sunk into that game before I even figured what I was suppose to be doing and then following through with the plot and finishing it for the first time made it even better. I also remember writing to Microprose at the time complaining that it seemed like my game wasn't working quite right and they actually sent me the patch disks. Just sitting down and reading that monster of a manual was fun.

Why the hell hasn't Darklands gotten the Daggerfall Workshop treatment yet?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
One of my fav games is drakemall gamble game. It is a store with the element of gamble where every buyer win some cool stuff in any case. Now I play it almost every week 'coz I want to win macbook pro. All I need is just to buy mystery box. The best part that it's a win-win game.
Same. Last time I played, I won a goat. TemplarGR has nothing on me.

Kitchen Utensil

Just one? Can't do it. Fuck you man.

I agree.
Let me quote my very first Codex post instead:

No particular order.

Doom 1, 2, 3 - Yeah, I liked Doom 3, especially with the RoE expansion. I never got the hate for it and think it was way better than most of the other stuff released at the time. It was a sensible "modernisation" of the old games without being as ground-breaking. I'm pretty sure most people who hate it never made it past the Alpha Labs. NuDoom sucks though.
Quake 1, 3 - The original for the great singleplayer, 3 for the multiplayer (obviously). Especially duel and defrag. 3 is the game I played the most over the years. Didn't like 2 and 4. Quake Champions is decline.
Starcraft: Broodwar - Great campaign and one of the most fun to watch esports-titles (probably due to the high skill-ceiling and near-perfect balance).
Trackmania Nations/United Forever - The epitome of "easy to learn - hard to master". Best competitive racing game.
Guild Wars - Loved the build variety and how many builds turned out to be viable in PvE and how many things the system allowed you to do. Also had fun PvP modes for casual as well as competitive people. Unbelievable how shitty Guild Wars 2 turned out while having such a good predecessor...
Sim City 4 - Still my favourite City Builder by a mile.
Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 - Hated this when I first tried it, because I thought it must be part of the overhyped decline. A couple of years later I realised how wrong I had been, and that in an age of serious decline this was one bold, shining example of how some developers are still capable of making games. Great games even. I like all three of them, 1 and 2 more than 3 though.
Dragon's Dogma - really not one of the best games ever imo, but in the wasteland that is today's gaming market, it's a gem.
Super Mario World - There are people who compare Ori to this. :|
Resident Evil 1, DC, 2, Zero, Remake - The pre-rendered graphics with fixed camera are what made this series so great. I'd like to see a game made like this again, with a great budget and devs who know what they're doing. Probably not going to happen.

Some shmups...
DonPachi, DoDonPachi, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
Batsugun
Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2
Ketsui
Mushihimesama Futari

...and honourable mentions:
GTA Vice City and San Andreas
Silent Hill 1, 2, 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Twisted Metal 2
Exhumed/PowerSlave
Warcraft 2
Lemmings
Turrican 2
Worms
Chaos Engine
Cannon Fodder
Rune
American McGee's Alice

Poseidon00

Arcane
RPG- Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Tactics RPG- Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

Fighting- MvC3

Monster Raising- Monster Rancher 2

Honorable mentions: New Vegas, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind.

It's impossible to narrow this down to just one game, but for me, any of the following are worthy candidates:

Gothic 1/2
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1/2
Ultima Underworld
Deus Ex (with GMDX)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Graphical NetHack
Dwarf Fortress (for the potential)
GTA: San Andreas
World of Warcraft (vanilla days)
Baldur's Gate 1

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
A very difficult question, and tbh I can't mention a "favorite of all time". There are games you can enjoy a lot when you first play it through, and you may even consider it awesome and epic, but afterwards it loses it's appeal. Then there are strategy games (like Age of Empires) who can make you play random maps hundred times and yet wouldn't consider them awesome or epic.

Therefore I came to the conclusion we must first define what "favorite" is. What is an RPG "favorite"?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic 1, very closely followed by Vagrant Story.
(Both especially for the incredible atmosphere.)

Runners-up:
3.: Planescape: Torment
4.: NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer
5.: KotoR II
6.: KotoR
7.: Deus Ex
8.: Dragon Age: Origins
9.: Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
10.: Deus Ex: Invisible War
11.: Alpha Protocol
12.: The Witcher II
13.: Max Payne
14.: The Wolf among us
15.: Life is strange

Beastro

Arcane
Secondly, it was so simple to play that it was brilliant for having your mates round & playing on, especially fit big-breasted girls who couldn't play anything else without dying in 2 seconds. They absolutely loved it. We all piled into my bedroom day in day out & the kicks I got over having to squeeze past Claire as I went to the fridge & I "accidently" rubbed against her fucking lush, big breasts; pushing by Annie's tight arse as I moved to the controller, squeezing everyone into the room and being sandwich between the smell & feel of two lush girls either side, then showing off as they died in 2 seconds, and I whizzed through the levels being fast & flash as fuck.

And to this day, whenever Falksi is about to climax this plays in his mind:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom