Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

V_K

Arcane
I don't think it's actually doable - too many scripting bugs.

vazha

Arcane
I don't think it's actually doable - too many scripting bugs.
i remember playing it halfway through and then abandoning it due to some oversight i made (sold a lock or smth, it wasnt a bug though). The year was 2008 and surprisingly i dont remember it being particularly bug-heavy. Interesting, if slightly weird game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, there is this site: https://gamesnostalgia.com/

It is similar to many other abandonware sites, but it offer a collection of old rpgs downloadable with preconfigured Dosbox AND Amiga rpgs downloadable with preconfigured emulator. So, you just make some clicks and you can play classic Amiga rpgs without much hassle with configuring FS-UAE:

Ambermoon
19359.jpg

19364.jpg

19366.jpg

Black Crypt
12823.jpg

12818.jpg

12819.jpg

Darkmere
17506.jpg

17510.jpg

17494.jpg

17497_small.jpg

Dragonflight
19393.jpg

19394.jpg

19400.jpg

Heroquest 1 & 2
4557.jpg

4559.jpg

4556.jpg

Lords of Chaos
14259.jpg

14257.jpg

14260.jpg

I think by this time all those titles are pretty obscure.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'd love them to prepare Fate: Gates of Dawn with preconfigured emulator.

I played a bit with this behemoth with an emulator but would not mind a mors user friendly version.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Lords of Chaos is much more of tactical game, rather than rpg, it's basically fantasy version of Laser Squad. Black Crypt is pretty well known with amiga-users, hard as nails IIRC.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I remember reading about some crpg in the mid 90s where if you had dwarves who hated horses in your party, you might find after camping horses dead or missing, does anyone know which game this could be? or is my memory playing tricks on me?

V_K

Arcane
The party members having their own agenda sounds like Ishar, although I don't remember there being horses there. But you could find someone murdered or all your possessions gone with a party member who turned out to be a thief.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The party members having their own agenda sounds like Ishar, although I don't remember there being horses there. But you could find someone murdered or all your possessions gone with a party member who turned out to be a thief.

Might be Ishar-games then, as they were released around that time, and I'm mixing up memories of some other with horses. Too bad Ishar-games aren't that great in the hindsight.

laclongquan

Arcane
I remember reading about some crpg in the mid 90s where if you had dwarves who hated horses in your party, you might find after camping horses dead or missing, does anyone know which game this could be? or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Sounds like Terry Pratchett's games but I am not sure. Or Lord of the Ring the really old version.

V_K

Arcane

Might be Ishar-games then, as they were released around that time, and I'm mixing up memories of some other with horses. Too bad Ishar-games aren't that great in the hindsight.
I think the second one is ok, just very confusing. I could never quite figure out how character development worked there.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
While trying to track down a wuxia TV show I loved as a kid, I found out there are a couple of Chinese RPGs based on it (or, rather, based on the same source material). So, against my better judgement, I decided to try them out.
The first one, Wind and Cloud, is unfortunately only available in Chinese. I still downloaded it from old-games.ru, but it failed to run entirely on Windows 7, and I couldn't get past the opening movie on Windows 98 virtual machine (I suppose it has something to do with Chinese characters, and that someone more diligent than myself could probably get it to work; I just couldn't be arsed to put that much effort in a game I can't even read properly).
So I decided to settle for the sequel (Wind and Cloud 2), and I managed to find a Russian version (which I can barely understand, but it's still a much better deal than the previous one), which has so far worked flawlessly on Windows 7.
I've played for about an hour so far, and it isn't very promising. The main character is a fisherman with a wife and a kid, who is suffering from nightmares, and the first quest is to buy remedy from the apothecary. He also seems to have amnesia or something, but that has only popped in one dialogue so far. The two items you need to buy cost 1000 gp altogether, and the random encounters in the area give you 28-56 gp per encounter, so it already begins with a grind. There is also a fishing minigame which could speed up the process, but I think you can't play it more than once (or at least I haven't figured out how to do it). The minigame consists of picking where you want to cast your net and then mashing left mouse button.
Combat seems to be pretty standard JRPG-ish fare. One quirk is that you can target specific body parts (head, body, arms, legs), but so far I've dealt exact same damage whatever I chose. You get multiple attacks per turn, and there also seem to be combo attacks, which require you to press buttons corresponding to other body parts during the attack animation. Combo attacks consume multiple attacks, and so far, they aren't worth the bother: a three-hit combo deals 61 damage, while three regular attacks deal 20 damage each. Damage is always the same, though there are occasional blocks and critical hits. I haven't yet got any magic spells, but I will get them eventually.
When I finished for today, I had managed to gather enough gold to buy what I needed, and now I am supposed to go fishing, which I guess means more button mashing. My wife doesn't want my character to go fishing for some reason (even though it's his job), so he promised to come home earlier.
Some screenshots:
xnsFPm.png

QR6nBv.png

85aety.png

h3qxOj.png

dFXnLw.png

lkN1wJ.png

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I recommend Dragon's Quest (later renamed to Billy's Quest) by Carl Graves, one of my favourite free RPGs that nobody on the codex seems to know about. It takes one or two hours to finish.

https://www.kongregate.com/games/arminebusch/dragons-quest?acomplete=dragon+ques
or
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531931

94104587_rpg_P2_FirstLook.gif

941042294_rpg_OhRoesOutraw.gif

What's so good about it? Except for the fact it is short, which I can understand after playing giants like Divinity Original Sin or Assassin's Creed: Odyssey?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom