Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Funnest RPG setting or module to read

Swigen

Arbiter
What’s your favorite setting or module to just read? The book you constantly take off the shelf to glance at even when you aren’t currently running said setting. I’m booooored and am looking for good crap to look at.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I guess it all depends on what I'm running. In general I'm more apt to mine setting books for ideas, since I usually re-purpose and cannibalize everything I own anyway. But, I do go back and read a few things over and over because they are well written and are full of variety.

Old Stuff:
Stormbringer 5th ed. (mostly the setting and bestiary sections)
Stormbringer: Rogue Mistress adventure
Pavis & Big Rubble
Griffin Mountain
Warhammer Enemy Within campaign books
Thieves World boxed set

New Stuff:
Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG modules (almost of them are great and easy to pull apart and re-use)
Tome of Adventure Design by Matt Finch
Dolmenwood setting zines
Monster Island (Design Mechanism)
Mythic Britain (Design Mechanism)
Veins of the Earth
Vornheim
Carcosa

Non-RPG books:
The Compleat Discworld Atlas
The Glass Harmonica

Last edited:
Paranoia, Cyberpunk 2020, Eclipse Phase, Degenesis and L5R are the kind that I'd read even when not running games. Paranoia just for the laughs, and the others because I really liked the setting.

Edit: and Heavy Gear. I found the setting very cool some 18 years ago and was very much into it, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

zapotec

Liturgist
the planescape books are good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom