Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Saduj

Arcane
The Reavers took almost everything I had once.

They didn't try to enslave you? I always assumed those bastards take slaves. I tried to take down their base a few days ago but there were so many Reavers in the area and pouring out of the base that I never made it inside. Think it was just unlucky timing with alot of random patrols in the area. Ended up in a stalemate where my team was still all alive but moving would draw aggro and result in downed fighters. I probably could have fought my way out but it would have been an annoying drawn out process and it was late so I just went to bed instead. I'll head back there soon. Gonna take down the base of those idiots who wear the skeleton masks first.

Fought a Holy Nation patrol led by an Inquisitor last night. Some of my guys took a good beating. Great training. Even Paladins are pretty tough. I've finally realized that all those Holy Mines and Holy Farms on the map are places I'm supposed to attack.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Reavers will definitely enslave you if you lose to them. I have seen it happen.

Saduj

Arcane
Reaver slaves have some weird AI. Doesn't seem like you can recruit them, which is fine. And some of the caged ones are so brainwashed that they won't leave their cages and they still register as enemies even if you try to free them, which is also understandable. But some will leave their cages and thank you and turn green, yet they heal downed Reavers - who will kill them on sight for being out of their cages. Only after giving first aid to any downed Reavers do they run off on their own. Reaver slaves who are part of patrols will sometimes pick the locks on their shackles and say something about freedom before healing their downed masters. I've had them follow my group and act friendly even though their status stays red and my team's AI will consider them enemies the next time combat starts.

Trying to free caged slaves after taking down a Reaver camp means that not only will you have to fight additional Reaver patrols that frequently show up but also the ones who the suicidal slaves heal up. Eventually there is a such a volume of Reavers around that the combat is constant. Picking locks became a chore because my locksmith was constantly trying to join the fight.

At the time, two days of continuous combat against Reavers seemed like a great way to get some xp. Then on the way home, my wounded group was jumped by a huge party of Crab Raiders. Reaver patrol showed up during the Crab Raider battle and started shooting with crossbows. I killed the ones who rushed and retreated from the others. Just after I managed to escape the battlefield, the obligatory herd of Beak Things showed up. It worked out but at one point I had guys dropping like flies and being eaten was a real concern. Highlight was my already wounded starting character taking on three adult crabs on his own and killing two before getting help. My pride was tempered by his being knocked out pretty soon after the Beak Things showed up. My slave-friendly policy no longer applies to Reaver slaves.

Zanzoken

Arcane
That's odd because I raided a Reaver camp the other night and the slaves behaved the same as any UC or HN slaves I have freed. I cleaned out the whole camp and didn't notice any of the slaves healing their masters.

I did get an annoying bug though. I wanted to sneak in and out undiscovered, so I went in at night. After KO'ing the gate guards I started unlocking the slave cages, but the Reavers somehow knew the slaves were getting away and came flooding out of the barracks to secure them. There is no reasonable way they could've been alerted -- it was something in their scripting that shouldn't have been triggered.

Deleted Member 16721

You guys are way ahead of me. I can't even think of freeing slaves, lol. I'd be enslaved myself, and I have a team of 18! (one tech guy, 4 laboreres and 13 warriors/scouts)

Note to self - just because they are herbivoers do not underestimate Garrus in the southwest. Thought I could pick on some pups for meat and skins and then a gang of about 20 adult Garrus came out of nowhere. Stubs Mimuso lost an arm in the melee, and it took a lot out of us. We had to rescue everyone and hide in the library ruin nearby for awhile until the Garrus just left the area and eventually forgot about us. Now to find a robotic replacement arm for Stubs (his real name, now poetically fitting) without using The Hive traders because apparently they hate Green, aka a Hiver who's in my group who is an outcast, non-Hiver. They won't even trade with me now. Might just have to research electronic limbs and hope for the best...

Solfear

Novice
The Reavers patrol took most of my stuff, healed me, converted me into slaves and left me on the ground.
I just had to run afterwards. Unfortunately, the Brink samurais police saw me as an escaped slave, cut an arm to my main character and gave me to slave traders.
This day was a great day.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I can only second the Reaver Slave situation.
Just yesterday I was near the Ark (Reaver HQ) and fought a shitload of em, slaves would unlock their shackles, said something about freedom, healed their masters and run off. They stayed hostile (red), same situation if I let my characters unlock their shackles. But than on the other hand, I had just allied with the Crab Raiders and the next time I entered their town they were all red, but didn't attacked. Importing fixed that.

To me that area seems to be a bit buggy (and lacking probably additional content, like the Black Dog HQ having no leader, or the Skeleton Bandits that probably should have robotic limbs if you consider what they are about, I think there is just a lot of unfinished stuff there).

Saduj

Arcane
Fluent the Hive should trade with you if you leave any Hive characters you have outside the shops. Their robotics aren’t very good though.

Zanzoken

Arcane
You guys are way ahead of me. I can't even think of freeing slaves, lol. I'd be enslaved myself, and I have a team of 18! (one tech guy, 4 laboreres and 13 warriors/scouts)

Note to self - just because they are herbivoers do not underestimate Garrus in the southwest. Thought I could pick on some pups for meat and skins and then a gang of about 20 adult Garrus came out of nowhere. Stubs Mimuso lost an arm in the melee, and it took a lot out of us. We had to rescue everyone and hide in the library ruin nearby for awhile until the Garrus just left the area and eventually forgot about us. Now to find a robotic replacement arm for Stubs (his real name, now poetically fitting) without using The Hive traders because apparently they hate Green, aka a Hiver who's in my group who is an outcast, non-Hiver. They won't even trade with me now. Might just have to research electronic limbs and hope for the best...

Garru will kick the shit out of a low level party, especially en masse like that. But at least they won't eat you, enslave you, or steal your stuff.

Skeleton limb crafting is really high level research so I wouldn't recommend holding out for that. There are robotics shops in several towns where you can pick up a replacement limb, and they also carry the shitty hiver versions if you're strapped for cash.

Ironmonk

Augur
Its a pity that the dev didn't implemented the garru as mount, the pack beast even have a saddle. =/

Hope that if DLC's are released in the future, mounts are included.

i added just a bunch of mods (which shouldn't conflict with each other) and suddenly the game started crashing every half second.

yeah, the absence of mounts puzzled me too, it's not that hard to let animals "pick up". maybe it's a matter of "i'm not going to make more animations".

Deleted Member 16721

Its a pity that the dev didn't implemented the garru as mount, the pack beast even have a saddle. =/

Mounts would be cool, but what of Athletics skill?

Tovias

Learned

Mounts, along with taming and egg hatching were "luxury features" that couldn't be added.
Also, if what the devs have said is true, there won't be any more content coming to the game so DLC is not that possible. Maybe some coding wizard manages to stick a chair to an animal backpack so we can ride it.
i added just a bunch of mods (which shouldn't conflict with each other) and suddenly the game started crashing every half second.
Some mods are completely outdated and not worth using, Lively Player Cities was one, I believe. If you post the mod list I might help you if I can.

they've all been updated recently, at least for launch patch. it's probably a matter of not enough ram because i went berserk with mods like this one https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/141 , all the series, because the vanilla kenshi is an empty wasteland; also expanded minor fanctions, more caravans and the likes. i thought 8 gb of ram would have been enough for a 12 years old game. i have never been so wrong.

Tovias

Learned
they've all been updated recently, at least for launch patch. it's probably a matter of not enough ram because i went berserk with mods like this one https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/141 , all the series, because the vanilla kenshi is an empty wasteland; also expanded minor fanctions, more caravans and the likes. i thought 8 gb of ram would have been enough for a 12 years old game. i have never been so wrong.
Mods that alter towns can be really tricky. For example if you have reative world and something messing with the Hub, you could get crashes. Mess around with load orders and check if they don't alter the same territory. See if the crashes also take place in the same area or are jusr general.

they're general, spread around, more often happening when loading a city and when i keep chrome open. it's a ram issue. which is silly, windows uses virtual memory by default o_O

Deleted Member 16721

Anyone here still a newbie like me? agris ? Someone who hasn't built an outpost or massive team yet? Just curious what the newbies routes have been. I added a bunch of mods, but still can't build a proper outpost yet since my team will get ransacked. Although we've grown stronger, most of my team's combat stats are in the 20s, but even a huge pack of Garru can rock us senseless. I haven't tried Bugmaster or anything like that, although I have the "quest". Just been exploring a bit of the southwest of the map where
there are a lot of ruins to plunder, treasure maps to find and good loot to bring home to sell.
I think since I wiped out the Dust King and possibly the leader of the Band of Bones (he only had a 10k bounty IIRC), building on Shek land would just mean I'd have to pay them or do whatever they ask, but I think it's the safest bet. However, my longhouse in Squin is rolling well. We're baking bread, making meatwraps, mining copper and storing it, doing some leathercrafting and leather armor manufacturing and also are about to research higher weapon grades since I found my first Ancient Book, which means better weapons by the weaponsmith. Also have meat storage, a bread basket, food storage, had 60k catans but bought a few really expensive weapon upgrades for a few of my fighters, but my money replenishes by my 3 laborers bringing in copper from outside of Squin. I also have a couple metal chests for storage, and a cotton loom for making fabrics for the leather armor, however I hope I can find better leather armor recipes that might actually be useful. I did buy a couple blueprints which also set me back financially, but they were for better leather armor pieces. Should be fun. Our little longhouse is flourishing but I still want a base somewhere near Squin. :)

all you need for your city to thrive is a killbox, a long corridor leading to your gate with harpoons on both sides. 3-4 t2 basic harpoons on each side with ai set on shoot on sight is enough to handle everything vanilla can throw at you. tier 2 walls are enough, as long as you have a gate walls will never be touched. which is silly, my next outpost shall have no proper killbox but an organized buildings structure and turrets on top, so that doors will be shut and every building will provide fire cover. makes more sense and could even work better. i still have to check if turrets can shoot through not-t4 gate, but i guess not. after all if you want to invite traders and such you have to keep the gate open, with enough npc population (maybe boosted by a mod or two) you might not need defenses on foot at all.

Deleted Member 16721

Any way to upgrade your bread oven to make it cook quicker? Is there an upgraded oven or some way to increase its speed?

PanteraNera

Arcane
After heavy recruiting I started farming fighting Dust Raiders.
XfUfaov.jpg

RNaTqE0.jpg

JEAyvpd.jpg

20PCQSJ.jpg

fN09Qsi.jpg

Some conversations of my Shek's (a warrior race). I love em!
st4zw2q.jpg

bEDeL4R.jpg

lsb7ln5.jpg

Fight heavily armored enemies, they can eat up tons of bolts from your Toothpicks, eventually with higher skills they fire insanely fast and you level up the crossbow skill, precision skill, dexterity and perception really quickly. Bring an inventory and backpacks full of bolts, as in these areas neither Toothpicks drop nor are they available in great amounts in shops.
TZmlEj0.jpg

IMRTeEY.jpg

8HHbqSK.jpg

It is crazy the 20+ skeleton muscles I looted from them was worth more than what I found inside (20x2000 cats), I did find another Edgewalkers Type 3 weapon, it was an Iron Stick :argh:.
m9Vivz1.jpg

They are a good source of income, that is hunting for their Egg's.
IhIWT1m.jpg

Tovias

Learned
With an army of that size you might as well pay the Southern Hive a visit

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyone here still a newbie like me? agris ? Someone who hasn't built an outpost or massive team yet? Just curious what the newbies routes have been.
The game unfortunately requires a fair bit of grinding to improve your squad from the point where you can raid ancient ruins to the point where you can defeat the game's tougher enemies (in melee combat; ranged weapons allow you to kill almost anything much earlier). It sounds as though you've reach this point, if you have combat stats in the 20s and have started to raid ancient ruins. There have been various tips in this thread about good locations for grinding combat (and other) stats.

In unrelated news, it turns out that leviathans drop a Leviathan Pearl worth 12000 coins, but I felt so sorry about it afterwards that I reloaded. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom