Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Persuasion system involving personality and reputation: https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1696067271000567563

e95d3dbcd936fbec89c862c0b396997b8a032aad.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

In this week’s blog, we want to introduce you to a brand new feature to the Mount & Blade series: the persuasion system.

No medieval drama, from Shakespeare to the Game of Thrones, is complete without a few scenes of high-stakes negotiation. Although most of our development effort goes into battles and combat, we also want to offer players alternative gameplay. Be it a plot to betray a king, a dynastic marriage, or just a way to handle a thorny conflict between your bickering subjects, skilled persuaders can find solutions to solve problems and save a bit of wear-and-tear on their sword-edges.

The persuasion system is based on the premise that, even in a dark and desperate land like Calradia, there are some things that money can’t buy. An honorable emir may feel compelled by his oath of fealty to stick by even the vilest of sultans. A conniving one might turn down the choicest bribe because frankly, he doesn’t think you have what it takes to win a civil war, and silver is no use to him if he’s dead. Persuasion is a means to help players overcome these reservations.

The persuasion system is also one of the main ways that Bannerlord’s personality and reputation system comes into play. If you have a reputation for generosity, people will believe you tell them that, if they do a favor for you, you’ll make it up to them further down the road.
Likewise, if people know you take honor seriously, they’ll be reassured if you tell them that, in your opinion, no one will ever blame them for breaking their oath to the Khan, who never kept his oath to anyone else. The NPC’s personality also plays a major role. A valorous warrior might respond better than a timid one to your courtship pitch, that he should marry you, a shield maiden who’ll fight by his side, rather than some dainty maiden with nothing to recommend her but vast tracts of land.

Personality is only part of the equation. You can also draw on a variety of skills. Charm helps you guess an NPC’s motivations and appeal to them. Charisma helps you inspire them. And, even if you don’t have much of an army at your back. Roguery is a good way to convince them that you’re not someone they ever want to mess with. Finally, the game tracks most major events, and if you can remind the Countess that the king you want her to betray murdered her cousin, or passed her over when last handing out fiefs, that will make your task much easier. We want players to feel the dynamic sandbox history of Calradia, and persuasion is often the time when a lord’s past mistakes, the dirty deeds, the slights to fragile egos, the unpopular policies, all come home to roost.

So how does the system work? All persuasion attempts are initiated through dialogs. You first need to steer the conversation to the relevant subject. You need to hint to the lord that his liege isn’t really worthy of his service, or maybe suggest to a lady that, it being a truth universally acknowledged that any ambitious young lady of title and substance must be in want of an upwardly mobile warlord to marry, you should perhaps discuss whether you are mutually compatible. At this point, the system calculates a “persuasion difficulty”. If this value is too high for any reason, the NPC will turn you down right away. But if not, you can start discussing specifics.

The NPC will then present you a number of issues where you will need to persuade him or her. During persuasion, you will see a progress bar, which shows how far you’ve gone toward convincing the other party. Every time you succeed in convincing the lord over a point, the persuasion bar will fill up a certain amount. If at the end you can fill up the entire bar, the NPC’s objections will be overcome.

His moral and long-term objections, anyway. Money can’t buy everything, but it’s usually at least part of the deal. The persuasion system is often a gateway that leads you into the barter system. Some lords will do anything for honor, or for revenge, but most want some sort of token of your appreciation up front. Each successful persuasion attempt will help to reduce the monetary cost of the action you would like to perform when it comes to the bartering stage, whereas repeated failures might make a deal impossible to reach. And if you push your luck too much, then you run the risk of severely impacting your relations with NPCs in a negative way.

Overall, we feel that the persuasion system adds a massive amount of depth to diplomacy in Bannerlord, giving players different options and ways to approach challenging situations that they are presented with. We think that it will give players greater control in playing the game in the way that they want to, opening up avenues and possibilities that were unavailable in previous games in the series.

blog_post_71_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

And that’s it for 2018 folks! We will be back in the New Year with more blogs (with the next one due on the 10th of January), so make sure you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook to keep up to date with all the latest Bannerlord news as we march ever closer to that elusive release date. We hope that you all have a wonderful time over the festive season!

Also:

so make sure you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook to keep up to date with all the latest Bannerlord news as we march ever closer to that elusive release date

RS2gFm6.png

Zanzoken

Arcane
Hopefully it doesn't put too much emphasis on "persuasion" in the traditional RPG sense, where you can make NPCs do whatever you want as long as you can pass a speech check. Your personality can have some influence, but alliances and all that should mostly be driven by money, fiefs, troops, and status.

That's how it worked throughout history and for M&B negotiation should also be anchored in realistic terms.

deuxhero

Arcane
Are there any good overviews of the current state of Warsword? Last time I played the mod was something like five years ago.

The first patch for the new version fixed all the major issues. They should re-enable magic during seieges. Even if it's only Magic Missiles.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The first devlog of the new year, is about conversation camera: https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1696069173772805174

21655595ea64db94df3a9955e038e8fd796c855f.jpg

2019 is upon us, and we are back, as promised, with a Bannerlord blog to ring in the New Year. We want to ease back into them with a small update about a change we made quite recently to our conversation camera.

Those of you with a keen eye will have noticed that the conversation screenshot in our previous blog looked a little different to a standard Mount & Blade dialogue screen. And it wasn’t just the UI overhaul and new persuasion system that were on show, although admittedly, they are probably the things that caught your attention!

Immersion is something we have talked about multiple times throughout this blog series, so we won’t go on about it too much in this blog, however, it is safe to say that it was the main factor in our decision to make a change to the dialogue system camera. We want players to have a fluid and immersive experience with Bannerlord, which means that we look at all of our previous work with a critical eye to see where improvements can be made to match the high standards we have set ourselves for Bannerlord.

So what have we done to improve the camera? Well, this time around we have gone for something a little more subtle and understated. The new conversation UI is unobtrusive, and the camera gently shifts to focus on the NPC you are engaging in a dialogue with. The camera retains the viewing perspective you play the game from, so, if you enter a conversation in first-person, then your conversation camera is also in first-person, and likewise, if you initiate a conversation in third-person, your camera will remain in third-person. We use a depth of field effect to draw your attention to the focal point of the conversation (the NPC you are talking to) as an additional way of immersing you in the conversation and to prevent you from being too distracted by what is taking place in the background. These small changes combine together with the new conversational animations (which we discussed in a previous blog) to make a more immersive and fluid conversation system.

blog_post_72_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

Finally, we have added more characters to the conversation screens in instances where it would be appropriate (such as when being accosted by a group of bandits). It always seemed a little unnatural in our previous games to be speaking in a one-on-one conversation with a lord before a battle, or to a bandit leader looking to intimidate you into handing over your hard earned denars. In Bannerlord, you can expect to see leaders flanked by bodyguards, which we think helps to visually represent characters of their stature.

blog_post_72_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

In next week’s blog, we will be talking to Gameplay Programmer, Bahar Şevket. If you have any questions you would like to ask her, please leave a reply in the comments section and we will pick one out for her to answer.

Hellion

Arcane
Billions and trillions of players out there were on the fence about this game unless they got some more much-needed info on its conversation camera.

Deleted Member 16721

Just curious and a bit off-topic, but how does Mount & Blade: Warband stack up to Kenshi? I heard M&B:W is just as lively and active, but is there more to do besides building a warband? Can you create outposts or cities, lose limbs in combat, outfit all your troops, do any sorts of quests or bounties, gain reputation with factions and stuff like that? I feel like Kenshi is a level or two ahead in these regards but I don't know much about Warband.

Hellion

Arcane
Warband allows you to do pretty much anything with mods. But I guess Kenshi is much more raw, merciless and autistic than Warband. And much deeper in regards to what you can actually do in the sandbox world.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Just curious and a bit off-topic, but how does Mount & Blade: Warband stack up to Kenshi? I heard M&B:W is just as lively and active, but is there more to do besides building a warband? Can you create outposts or cities, lose limbs in combat, outfit all your troops, do any sorts of quests or bounties, gain reputation with factions and stuff like that? I feel like Kenshi is a level or two ahead in these regards but I don't know much about Warband.
They're very different games, their similarity being that they're both open-ended sandbox games with RPG elements. The strength of Mount & Blade is in its various mods, so while the core game doesn't have the exact same feature set from Kenshi that you listed besides faction relations, some of its mods might.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Honestly now I am actually wondering how long they can go with this dev cycle. Apparently money is no object. So even after release it will be a good year or more before it's patched. How long now in development? Almost 10 years?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
PNjxFgA.png

Over the course of the past few months, one of the most commented features that we have shown in this dev blog is the use of siege engines when someone is trying to take a castle by storm -- but we didn't really go into much detail about how they work. In this week's entry of our blog, we talk with Bahar Şevket, one of our gameplay programmers, who is currently working on new mechanics for that particular area of the game and can give us some interesting insights on how siege engines will be integrated into Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

NAME
Bahar Şevket

FROM
Bulgaria

JOINED TALEWORLDS

EDUCATION
B.Sc in Computer Science/Engineering, Middle East Technical University

OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Gameplay Programmer

WHAT DO YOU NORMALLY DO DURING YOUR DAY?
My day starts with a stand-up meeting of the team in the morning. Every member of the team gets the rest of us up to speed on their current tasks; what they are doing, their progress on their current issues, etc. We work closely with designers and some other teams, such as UI and QA, so it is not uncommon to have people from those teams in the morning meetings. After that, I continue working on the tasks I have at hand. I have worked on various single player features throughout my time at TaleWorlds: conversations, game menus, alley missions, siege engines, quests (my favourite!) and many more moddable campaign behaviours. I also want to mention that we focused on making the town/village life more realistic and rich. We added different kinds of NPCs with different kinds of behaviours, animations and quests. I think that Calradia is a much more vibrant world now!

bfq3cNJ.png

WHAT DO YOU LIKE THE MOST ABOUT BANNERLORD?
I like the fact that it has a unique gameplay feature that the rest of the game is built around. You play as your own character while commanding an entire army. It is one of few, if not the only game that you get to roleplay as a real commander. You don’t control your troops as you would typically do in a strategy game with a god-like view. Instead, you are alongside your soldiers on the battlefield. You get to fight, yell commands at your soldiers, ride your horse and chase your enemies. While we’re at it, the combat mechanics are not these scripted, fantastic, ninja-like animations, but are rather close to combat in real life. I think that also helps to create an immersion of a real-life medieval battle.

WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT THING THAT YOU SOLVED SO FAR, DURING THE PRODUCTION OF BANNERLORD?
Well, my response to this one is not a one-off task that I solved once and was done with. What I find most challenging is the effort of making the game easily moddable, which requires continuous and constant caution. I am working mostly on the single-player campaign portion of the game, and we are well aware of how much our community enjoys creating awesome and varied mods for the campaign. That’s why we put a lot of effort into making Bannerlord better in terms of moddablity. We are using C# as the scripting language in Bannerlord. And I hope that this choice will benefit our modding community because it is highly user-friendly and is an object-oriented language. I don’t think going too deep into the technical details right now is a good idea, but simply put, after adding a new feature, we always analyse if it should be something that is moddable. If it is deemed to be a moddable feature, we add corresponding interfaces and maintain our default implementation in order to create room for moddable behaviour.

WHAT DO YOU CURRENTLY WORK ON?
Right now, I’m working on siege preparation on the campaign map. As you may have noticed, we introduced a variety of siege weapons that can be utilised during siege battles. Both the player and AI armies can build these engines before their assault.

I should mention that we recently made some changes to our siege preparation. Previously, a player who besieged a castle had to select what they wanted to build from a number of engines, one by one. Recently, however, we introduced a new tactics feature. Now, the player will select one of the siege tactics available and will get a preloaded waiting list for siege engines that are useful to the selected tactic. The player will be able to start the bombardment as soon as any machine is finished and will be able to start damaging the defences of the town/castle even before starting the siege mission (battle). The tactic can be changed at any point during the waiting time, based on the defender’s tactic, or any other events occurring in the world at that moment.

WHAT FACTION DO YOU LIKE THE MOST IN BANNERLORD?
My favourite faction is Battania. Having drawn inspiration from the Celts, their culture has a strong connection with nature. Everything about the faction, such as its architecture, the colours of their banners, and their clothing and armours, make me feel that these people love forests, and nature in general. If I were living in medieval Calradia, I would definitely want to live in Battania!

oVgfkAx.png

WILL THERE BE MORE REASONS FOR PLAYERS TO ENTER SETTLEMENTS OTHER THAN TO JUST EXPLORE THEM?
We are currently working on something we call settlement issues. They represent conflicts in a settlement between NPCs, or general problems that may arise. These events will pop up randomly during the game and they will affect the properties of a settlement (prosperity, morale, etc.).

The player will have to find a solution to that problem in a specific timeframe using whatever means they can. Issues may lead to different quests or may encourage players to make changes to their current management style.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Their dedication to these weekly blogs are the only thing keeping this game going right now. I don't think it's vapour - this is Taleworld's only project and sooner or later they'll have to release it if only in a last-ditch effort to keep their doors open. But I really don't know what's going on over there. The best theory I've heard is that the government got involved and want the game to be as big as possible in the hopes that it'll spur on a bigger Turkish game dev industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom