Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Hines

Savant
Another critic refuses to commit to a full playthrough of Underworld Ascendant because it's in such a terrible state, sparing Otherside a negative review.

I’ll be honest – a big part of the reason I’m not formally reviewing Ascendant is because I just don’t want to play any more of it. But the fact that it’s so blatantly unfinished – and that Otherside is so rapidly working to get it in decent shape – means anything that I say about it could be outdated within a week. Between the time I finish writing this article and the time it’s published, Ascendant could be a completely different game*. Granted, that’s always true in an era where games are getting more post-release support than ever, but it’s especially evident when a team tries to pass off a wrongheaded alpha as a completed project.

https://gamecritics.com/mike-suskie/this-is-not-a-review-underworld-ascendant/

Read the Positive Steam Reviews and see if you can find one without the word "potential". They all acknowledge the game is a piece of shit but they talk about how there's potential for something good as though the game was still in early concept stages or something.

There are still two absolute cuckwads on the official forum who both claim they haven't played or even watched the game on stream or YT and both keep posting hopeful bullshit and defend the devs and the game. :|

I saw that. The biggest one is Sandro, I wonder if its the same Sandro from Ultima Online Second Age. They keep responding to dev updates with stuff like "sounds like things are coming together nicely!" Imagine saying that about a game that has already released in a dumpster fire state.

Curratum

Yep, one is Sandro, the other is Dawnrazor. I think Dawnrazor was on the TTLG forums from way back in like 2001, had the same roman numeral appended to his name I believe.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This is the downfall of the western video game industry.

AAA developers with the money to finance modern projects are so fucking greedy they only care about esports, virtual gambling, and microtransactions, and they have destroyed their artistic vision, while indie developers have to rely on crowdfunding and for more ambitious projects this just isn't enough and leads them to be forced to release alpha content masquerading as "release version"...

In the end, AAA developers are going down and indy creators are going down too, for different reasons. AAA has the polish but not the quality, indy has the quality but not the polish...

Fucking Capitalism ruining everything.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Corporate greed ruins everything when it comes to AAA developpers.

Common greed and mismanagement do the same for indies.

In the case of Underworld Ascendant there seems to be neither quality, nor polish. But the same can be said about Fallout 76 or the crap produced by devs owned by Electronic Arts.

As Adam Smith would say, capitalism does not work properly without an ethical system to support it. If there is no ethics, just greed, it's going to shit.

Gord

Arcane
Oh, the armchair anti-capitalism is strong here. Not that I dislike me some critique of the capitalist system, but when it's lacking the brians, it's just sounding stupid.

Thing is, I highly doubt that this has anything to do with greed, scamming people, Otherside being made of mustache-twirling, evul villains or any such things. The whole disaster comes down to a lack of talent, not having a clear and realistic vision giving the available funding and lacking the balls to call quits when it should have been clear that they would fail in their original ambition (i.e. at the latest when their additional funding vaporized).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Chris Siegel can't spell. Neither could their early lead engineer.

In retrospect my Spidey senses tingled when I saw the seniors on the project struggled to master their native language.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Lore 2.0 is scheduled to enter development next week:

Untitled.png

Max Heap

Arcane
The way I experienced it they gotta give you money to play that.

It's just going to pull down the quality of the bundle with all its bugs.

Max Heap

Arcane
Tetris only got big through the deal with Nintendo. The original version was a game that was passed around in soviet offices, much like Icy Tower and emulators spread through schools in the early 2000s.

maxresdefault.jpg

RapineDel

Augur
What's the goal here? The game is awful regardless of if they make these minor adjustments or fixes. Even if this game was somehow polished in a few months time sales are not going to increase. Anyone who bumps into it on Steam or are on the fence are still going to see highly negative reviews and won't bother.

They're better off listening to the feedback, starting from scratch on a small 3-4 hour game that's actually good (or at least good compared to UA) that actually appeals to Ultima Underworld fans and giving it away for free as an apology for anyone who owns/buys UA. Would surely create some good will and would give people on the fence at least a reason to give it a second look.

ciox

Liturgist
Holy heck, indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom