Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What about Zero Punctuation videos full of :obviously: ?

(His 2018 GOTY surprised even me, and I rooted for the game.)

5lNgKWs.jpg

I don't mind the skin itself but that blurb is terrible. Exclusive Slayers Club Membership? :lol:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
What about Zero Punctuation videos full of :obviously: ?

(His 2018 GOTY surprised even me, and I rooted for the game.)

One of his choices for top 5 best games surprised me in negative way, I mean, he said that Way Out was bland and Detroit: Become Human is shit... And then he includes game about spiderman in top 5 best games. A game about character from comic books, which didn't had any writing from begin with. Because they was meant as entertaining fiction, not serious literature. I can understand that he hates writer behind D:BH and WO, but he didn't even featured Fallout 76 in top of worst games, wtf.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
people who read "serious literature" are nearly always douchebags in my experience
So all people who was in school are douchebags? Professors and students in University are douchebags? System administrators and engineers are douchebags? At some point in their lives every person on this planet reads something from serious books/guidelines/etc - liked they it or not. So there 3 possibilities:
1) You living in some shithole away from civilization among cannibals and didn't read a book in your life (doubtful, because they have troubles with Internet and you wasn't able to annoy people from normal countries)
2) You just idiot, who wasn't able to read something more complex that comic books ( I didn't said that comic books are bad, btw; Easy to read and bad is different things)
3) Your comment is some kind of self-criticism and attempt to see reality in different way (which impressive in some way, but have nothing to do with my comment about video)

If I just hurting your feelings with my opinion about your precious game - welcome to rpg codex, bitch. There exist people with different tastes and don't act like your opinion is absolute and everybody should agree with it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One of his choices for top 5 best games surprised me in negative way, I mean, he said that Way Out was bland and Detroit: Become Human is shit... And then he includes game about spiderman in top 5 best games. A game about character from comic books, which didn't had any writing from begin with. Because they was meant as entertaining fiction, not serious literature. I can understand that he hates writer behind D:BH and WO, but he didn't even featured Fallout 76 in top of worst games, wtf.

Are you for real?

It's perfectly OK to like a game that's shallow and lacking in the writing department if the game is FUN. Turns out this particular Spider-Man game is loads of fun, or at least he thinks it is... and for his list that's what counts.

Gaming does not revolve about the literary aspects of interactive storytelling... though I'll freely admit that games that adhere to literary aspects tend to be better received overall. But sometimes a game is just a game.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So all people who was in school are douchebags? Professors and students in University are douchebags? System administrators and engineers are douchebags? At some point in their lives every person on this planet reads something from serious books/guidelines/etc - liked they it or not. So there 3 possibilities:
1) You living in some shithole away from civilization among cannibals and didn't read a book in your life (doubtful, because they have troubles with Internet and you wasn't able to annoy people from normal countries)
2) You just idiot, who wasn't able to read something more complex that comic books ( I didn't said that comic books are bad, btw; Easy to read and bad is different things)
3) Your comment is some kind of self-criticism and attempt to see reality in different way (which impressive in some way, but have nothing to do with my comment about video)

If I just hurting your feelings with my opinion about your precious game - welcome to rpg codex, bitch. There exist people with different tastes and don't act like your opinion is absolute and everybody should agree with it.

"serious literature" in school - seriously?
"Professors and students in University are douchebags?" - is this a rhetorical question?
"System administrators and engineers" - technical literature is not "serious"

try not to get a papercut from all that edginess

also, bad spelling

The video was linked in the random videos thread but I thought this exchange was funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/ae2ug8/the_last_of_us_in_a_nutshell/

That's the girl who played through 80% of Botw without finding the tutorial.

i did the same exact thing but figured everyone else who raved about how good the game was knew the game mechanics from the older zelda games (which i've never played before)

except i stopped playing after an hour after i kept dying.

I mean if you only played an hour of the game, that's not exactly long enough to learn all the mechanics..

Or find the tutorial apparently.

Having to find the tutorial is apparently lauded as great game design. The people most likely to miss the tutorial are the ones who need it the most. Dark Souls fails in this as well. It's very easy to miss the prompt for messages and even if they do discover the prompt later on it's unlikely they'll remember the previous messages they missed.

Even as a victim of this exact thing in BotW I far prefer that to a Twilight Princess 1 hour tutorial extravagansa. There are a number of games where I want to replay them, then these tutorials come up and ask me to reconsider.

As for Dark Souls I don't really know what the problem is? The Undead Asylum introduces you to most of the controls and basic concepts if you just use the massive glowing prompts on the ground and the game positions enemies in such a way that you're told of a technique, then you're immediately put in an actual gameplay situation where you have to use it.

I've heard plenty of complaints about it but blaming the game for running past the massive glowing tutorial prompts is a new one to me.

Dark Souls starts you off basically right in front of a boss as a road block. Assuming you don't somehow kill the boss on accident your first try, you're going to see those messages quite a few times. If you just keep ignoring them and manage to beat the boss, you've figured it out on your own. The first area in each souls game is the tutorial, you can't skip it.

What Souls definitely does not need is a bunch of pop up tutorials every time you start the game explaining every move before you're able to do it. That kind of shit is why I can't play Pokemon anymore.

In DS1 at least you have to literally walk over the first few messages since you're in a small corridor. "Very easy to miss".

That last comment reminds me of how Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green (remakes of the original game boy titles) thought it was necessary to add some extra dialogue for Prof. Oak telling you during the first battle that losing all your HP means you lose the fight. Yeah, if the other monster is headbutting my monster and the little bar next to my monster is going down everytime it gets hit I think I have an idea of what's going on even if I'm illiterate (though the case has a label on the back saying "basic reading ability is necessary to fully enjoy this game" so parents don't buy it for babies), but thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
"Professors and students in University are douchebags?" - is this a rhetorical question?

try not to get a papercut from all that edginess

also, bad spelling
People who using spelling as argument don't have any serious arguments in first place.
Is this rhetorical question?
Alright, you are just idiot and this arguing is pointless. I mean, there no reason talking about literature with person who insist that technical literature on the same level with comic books.

P.S. Gotta love how people calling me edgy every time when I oppose people who insulting entire human race, but I guess stupidity is norm and everyone who oppose it counts as edgy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In DS1 at least you have to literally walk over the first few messages since you're in a small corridor. "Very easy to miss".
It's always interesting to me, these people. So you are aware you do not know how to play the game. Yet you completely ignore the glowing things on the floor, and the prompts that keep appearing as you walk over them?

It's like they are actively trying to miss the tutorial, and then complain about it. Iirc its the same in zelda, the game shows a button prompt occasionally when you can dodge, so you can discover the mechanic without finding the tutorial for it.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who using spelling as argument don't have any serious arguments in first place.

Is this rhetorical question?

Alright, you are just idiot and this arguing is pointless. I mean, there no reason talking about literature with person who insist that technical literature on the same level with comic books.

P.S. Gotta love how people calling me edgy every time when I oppose people who insulting entire human race, but I guess stupidity is norm and everyone who oppose it counts as edgy.

"serious", "serious", "serious"...

ef8.jpg

and on a side note, one would expect a certain level of writing proficiency from someone who claims to read "serious literature" (at this point almost as vague as a rpg) - but anyway, the main point was, whoosh

93O5Abp.jpg

and that's a nice strawman you made there about technical literature and comic books - there is nothing else in between them, nor anything outside of those two

but going solely by the butthurt multiquotes, i gotta say - lurk some more, newfriend

1b9.jpg

It's always interesting to me, these people. So you are aware you do not know how to play the game. Yet you completely ignore the glowing things on the floor, and the prompts that keep appearing as you walk over them?

It's like they are actively trying to miss the tutorial, and then complain about it. Iirc its the same in zelda, the game shows a button prompt occasionally when you can dodge, so you can discover the mechanic without finding the tutorial for it.

They're just that fucking terrible, it's probably a mental block making the images on the screen all jumbled, I don't know. Either way, an unskippable tutorial won't help them, it's a "you must be this tall to enter this ride" thing requiring some bare minimum of competence. But saying that will get you accused of "elitist gatekeeping" so we can't really get anywhere with those arguments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom