Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SWITCH emulation thread - YUZU gets huge performance update

Perkel

Arcane
Since i started this thread i decided to make this general Yuzu thread to keep track of progress and stuff.

Here is my personal installation of it (which is completely portable) preconfigured to run games out of the box.
It comes with update tool so you can easily update your yuzu to latest canary version.

YUZU

Just configure input and tell it where games are stored.

2019-01-11 said:
Insane rate of developement. At start of last year they booted their first games with like 1FPS
Now with this update a lot of game are completely playable without almost any graphical bugs (provided you have top of the line cpu)
Performance in nintendo exlusives is still not perfect but games like beyonetta2 runs at 90-100fps with v.good cpu.
I will be testing it for myself in hour or so.

By the end of this year with such rate most of switch games will be completely playable at full speed with decent rigs.
Yuzu is developed by same guys who developed Citra 3ds emulator which also had insanely fast developement but not as fast as this one.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
tried mario oddysey like he did in video.
Went from 15 fps to 35fps in that grey area.
i5-3570K@4,5ghz

It is weird that emulators actually are the only one showing that my cpu is getting old.

This will come in handy in a few years, once the sequel to Breath of the Wild is out. If BotW2 is as innovative as BotW, will be a hell of a game.

I played BotW on the Wii emulator (CEMU) with the vjoy plug in, which lets you use WSAD and mouse, like any FPS. It was great, way better than the native console peasantry.

Perkel

Arcane
is there a way to switch to portable mode so that you get precious FPS ?

By default you play in portable mode, you can switch to docked though.
Either way docked or not it won't matter much because issues with emulation come from CPU trying to emulate stuff.
GPU usually isn't the issue even with low tier gpu you can use emulators really well on most of emulators.

I hope AMDs 16core cpu they will be releasing this year will be affordable. I thought that my i5-3570K would last another 10 years going by games requirements but with new gen coming close, emulators being quite multithread happy and stuff like converting i think i will move to new cpu.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
PC Mater Race Wins again. Console Peasants BTFO!

Me thinks that maybe Nintendo consoles have a similar architecture or simply haven't changed much throughout the years. Or their
Don't see any other way to explain this fast development, since the Yuzu Team makes very little money in comparison with CemU.

Anyway, will download this and Odyssey right away, now that I've got time to play.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, is there like a way to obtain the necessary files to use this emulator without owning a Switch?

Asking for my mum.

Perkel

Arcane
Actually answer for that is very easy.

Switch uses Tegra soc from nvidia. Which has complete documentation from A to Z on how it runs.
The only unknown part was actual OS of switch and how it works.

Hackers broke switch security literally by reading pdf of tegra where engineers wrote something akin of "if you want to hack into this thing you should do this" lol.

So one the got OS from switch they just need to make emulator and implement everything.

Most of the time, hardest part of making emulator is figuring out how something works because usually there is no documentation especially on parts that contain security and so on. This is why Xbox emulation for such long time was no starter. Because there was no any kind of documentation and people had to reverse engineer every method, every class and so on.

Tegra being just cut standard pc gpu + arm cpu is also helping. Graphics side of implementation should be easy with Tegra doc and architecture which is present in today computers as standard.

Codex Year of the Donut
Actually answer for that is very easy.

Switch uses Tegra soc from nvidia. Which has complete documentation from A to Z on how it runs.
The only unknown part was actual OS of switch and how it works.

Hackers broke switch security literally by reading pdf of tegra where engineers wrote something akin of "if you want to hack into this thing you should do this" lol.

So one the got OS from switch they just need to make emulator and implement everything.

Most of the time, hardest part of making emulator is figuring out how something works because usually there is no documentation especially on parts that contain security and so on. This is why Xbox emulation for such long time was no starter. Because there was no any kind of documentation and people had to reverse engineer every method, every class and so on.

Tegra being just cut standard pc gpu + arm cpu is also helping. Graphics side of implementation should be easy with Tegra doc and architecture which is present in today computers as standard.
nobody made xbox emulators because there were no games worth emulating

Perkel

Arcane
So, is there like a way to obtain the necessary files to use this emulator without owning a Switch?

Asking for my mum.

Here it is.
I put link in op.

It is preconfigured to run games out of the box.
It also doesn't store crap in my documents and it is completely portable.
It comes with autoupdater so you don't need to redownload yuzu and update manually.

Just fire it up. Tell it where you have games, configure your input and it is ready to go.
Updates via maintenancetool.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
What is impressive is that are actually two fairly developed Switch emulators.
Yuzu is imho the more advanced right now but Ryujinx is right after them and both are developing ultra fast.

Yuzu devs lead because they already were making Citra 3DS emulator and most of boring stuff like UI for emulator, control input, final rendering is literally taken out of citra and now both kind of develop backport port stuff to each other.
Also from what i talked with devs Switch os is basically 3DS os with some changes.

Ryujinx devs had to start from scratch. Which is really impressive considering they are right after yuzu in therms of performance (before this update though)

Looking forward playing Metroid Prime 4 on muh PC.

Don't forget new Shin Megami Tensei game and various other interesting dungeon crawlers like Etrian oddysey.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel and good Xbox and X360 emulators are?

There is no good emulator for now for both. X360 is advanced but it plays like handful of games with major glitches.
Xbox1 emu is i think even in worse situation but like i said in other post devs behind it had the hardest start of all emus out there, 0 documentation and had to manually reverse engineer most of the stuff. It is miracle that it boots anything.

Astral Rag

Arcane
https://gematsu.com/exclusives/switch

CDh8.gif

They need to get this shit in top gear by the time BotW2 comes out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom