Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah that is plain ordered dithering right there, i think using the pattern i posted above and combining it with some black outlines (perhaps applying a bit of coloring from surrounding pixels when they pass some brightness threshold) can give you some similar results.

You may want to create custom lighting though that (at least for the diffuse term) uses the dot product between the surface normal and the light direction as an index in a gradient (can be an 1D texture), mapping -1..1 to 0..1 so you can colorize shadows/dark areas.

I like dithering in general too, might have to do something with growing up on Windows 3.1 and 95 :-P. A few years ago i made a 3D maze in Visual Basic 1 and what i mainly liked about it was the dithering:

gJXwCoj.png

It looked very meh running in true color mode :-P.

I plan on using dithering on a retro 3D game i'm working on, but for me it'll be more subtle, mainly to approximate the dithering that early 3D cards applied in games that added a bit of "texture" to the final image and complemented a bit the low resolution bilinearly filtered textures.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Looks p nice even in the color mode and kinda reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei.

Looking forward to checking out your game too, interested in what you're going to come up with and how you'll going to pull it off.

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
Yeah that is plain ordered dithering right there, i think using the pattern i posted above and combining it with some black outlines (perhaps applying a bit of coloring from surrounding pixels when they pass some brightness threshold) can give you some similar results.

You may want to create custom lighting though that (at least for the diffuse term) uses the dot product between the surface normal and the light direction as an index in a gradient (can be an 1D texture), mapping -1..1 to 0..1 so you can colorize shadows/dark areas.

I like dithering in general too, might have to do something with growing up on Windows 3.1 and 95 :-P. A few years ago i made a 3D maze in Visual Basic 1 and what i mainly liked about it was the dithering:

gJXwCoj.png

It looked very meh running in true color mode :-P.

I plan on using dithering on a retro 3D game i'm working on, but for me it'll be more subtle, mainly to approximate the dithering that early 3D cards applied in games that added a bit of "texture" to the final image and complemented a bit the low resolution bilinearly filtered textures.
Hell yeah. My first programming language was Visual Basic 6 and I tried so hard to pull off games like this, but never came close. I gave up and starting programming battle.net chat bots for several years before coming back to game development. Its so satisfying and nostalgic for me to see this maze program.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking forward to checking out your game too, interested in what you're going to come up with and how you'll going to pull it off.

I don't think it'll be very interesting to the crowd here, it is a top-down-ish shooter mainly inspired (in terms of how it plays) from Raven's Take No Prisoners (although with linear level progression). This recent image from the level editor from the first map blockout, area markers and progress notes might give you an idea:

s0GaK0A.png

Visually it'll be something like this:

mjaEKmn.png

But with more texture variety (i need to write a retro-art image editor, i have some ideas how to make it easy for me to make textures that look like they were made in Deluxe Paint - the same art program a lot of early to mid-90s 3D games used, especially for DOS - but without the 8bit limitations, although i'll use palettes as starting points) and this sort of camera:

BKk3RX0.jpg

(i don't normally use a CRT, i only bring it out in special occasions like when i want to play some old 2D game)

Also these graphics are placeholders, i made this dude some time ago (...2 years, according to imgur... time sure flies fast :-P) for the main character:

FrQYkiY.png

But i still haven't bothered texturing him. At least i made an animation... well, half of it anyway :-P.

Day job doesn't help get things done faster though and i have a tendency to get distracted by pretty much everything :).

My first programming language was Visual Basic 6 and I tried so hard to pull off games like this, but never came close.

My first programming language was GW-BASIC, although i quickly moved on to Turbo Pascal (with a short stint in QBasic because my - 30MB! - hard drive died and QBasic was the only programming environment i had that could fit on a 360K floppy). I remember looking at Wolfenstein 3D at a friend's place, initially i wasn't impressed much (he had a 286 and the rendering window was *tiny*) but later i got curious about how the 3D effect worked. I was under the impression that they had painted all possible combinations and somehow scrolled through them and i tried to put books around my head to "visualize" how the perspective worked, but obviously couldn't figure it out :-P. It wouldn't be until years later that i learned how it really worked (and even then since i sucked at math until after high school, even though i knew the ideas, it took me a couple more years to implement it :-P).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I don't think it'll be very interesting to the crowd here, it is a top-down-ish shooter mainly inspired (in terms of how it plays) from Raven's Take No Prisoners (although with linear level progression). This recent image from the level editor from the first map blockout, area markers and progress notes might give you an idea:

s0GaK0A.png

Visually it'll be something like this:

mjaEKmn.png

But with more texture variety (i need to write a retro-art image editor, i have some ideas how to make it easy for me to make textures that look like they were made in Deluxe Paint - the same art program a lot of early to mid-90s 3D games used, especially for DOS - but without the 8bit limitations, although i'll use palettes as starting points) and this sort of camera:

BKk3RX0.jpg

(i don't normally use a CRT, i only bring it out in special occasions like when i want to play some old 2D game)

Also these graphics are placeholders, i made this dude some time ago (...2 years, according to imgur... time sure flies fast :-P) for the main character:

FrQYkiY.png

But i still haven't bothered texturing him. At least i made an animation... well, half of it anyway :-P.

Day job doesn't help get things done faster though and i have a tendency to get distracted by pretty much everything :).
Interesting. Hope you won't abandon this and it ends up being gud.

Also kudos for having a CRT these days... still have my beast from 1999, occasionally use to play older games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
I have a few CRTs, including two VGAs, although one looks like someone smeared vaseline all over it. Thankfully the other (shown above) has practically the best colors and sharpness in any monitor i have, CRT or not (including a highly overpriced Dell IPS i have...). Sadly it was used too much (i got both VGAs for free from someone i know a few years ago) and the guns are giving up, making things a bit darker. I adjusted the knobs inside a little to make things look good again, but it is a sign to not use it too much. I'll buy another one at some point though, but i have moved to another place now for work reasons and the CRTs are on my previous place, so that'll wait.

But honestly, i can't wait for OLED monitors (or something of equivalent visual quality), especially ones that aren't in ginormous sizes and ridiculous resolutions :-P. I use a VA monitor now which has great contrast, but low bits per color (natural dithering, sadly it is noisy instead of ordered so it looks kinda bad) and the high response times can be a bit annoying in some darker games with high contrast. But hey, at least black looks like black and not like a washed out gray glow.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I started a commitment to finishing something everyday (or every coding session), no matter how trivial.

So far it's been working for me pretty well.

However, something considered "trivial"...can end up being a pain in the ass as we all know. :) But if I start it...I finish it (so far).

A larger task I'll break down into pieces. So I can still get something done.

Zep--

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I started a commitment to finishing something everyday (or every coding session), no matter how trivial.

However, something considered "trivial"...can end up being a pain in the ass as we all know. :) But if I start it...I finish it (so far).

Zep--

What are you working on?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Zep--

What are you working on?
Armoire: Harold's of the pinged Templar.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
What are you working on?

A...thing.

I don't know exactly what it will be yet.

I finished the basics of a smooth movement 3D step engine, somebody here got to see an early, early prototype last year. I forget who.

Right now I'm taking a break from that and doing some prototyping in 2D.

Zep--

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Learning C++ is going well so far. I hope to be to the point of learning SDL by April or May. After I finish that, I’ll begin working on a project of my own.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
SDL is pure C, so you might have some gaps to fill if you're coming from C++. https://www.sfml-dev.org/download/sfml/2.5.1/ is another rather low level lib like SDL that's C++ native. I haven't used it personally, but some of my collagues use it for making "games" or interactive visualisations of their papers.
I thought that there was a SDL for C++?
Edit:From SDL’s website:
SDL is written in C, works natively with C++, and there are bindings available for several other languages, including C# and Python.

Am I understanding this wrong?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
SDL is a C library and you can use C libraries from C++ directly, you do not need any special C++ version for SDL. However as a C library it only provides features that you find in C, so it does not provide an API with stuff like classes, templates, etc. It is a matter of personal preference if you like that or not, some people prefer to use C libraries even in C++, others want to use libraries that provide APIs that take advantage of C++.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Is the menu at the top left a (persistent) mode selection or popup when you do some action? If the latter, wouldn't it be better at the center?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Yes, a persistent menu at the center doesn't sound great :).

Out of curiosity, i noticed that the minimap shows both the walls and the crates(?) with the same color while the angled wall is also shown as a "half tile", is the minimap automatically generated or you make it by hand?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It's a simple camera that only renders directional 'arrows', floor and doors. I tried making them by hand in early iterations, but it ended up being too much extra work for too little gain and too prone to human error if levels had to be changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom