Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobody talks about Octopath Traveler or what

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope. The grind isn't serious. Maybe for the last secret dungeon, but not else. This game is all about equipment and job combinations.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hrm. I guess we will see. The XP table seems to allow characters to catch up very quickly, but my experience is limited to the first 20 levels or so.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's not selling like FFVI or IX did back in the day, is it? Just moderately popular especially for its surely smaller budget?

Having gone a fair way into it, I think my comments above generally hold up. The combat definitely is superior to ye olde FF6-9 in that the weaknesses/breakpoints/etc, as well as the initiative bar, add a bit more possibility for synergy and planning than limit breaks and the like ever did. If only status effects weren't tuned down to irrelevance there could be some great situations. But it needs a tougher difficulty curve - haven't felt the need to grind at all with 8 characters, just doing quests and such gets you within ~5 levels of the enemy and that's enough to be comfortable.

Story quality seems very character dependent. As cliche as they all are, I enjoy the hunter, Olberic, Therion, a fair, bit, while I'm mostly skipping Ophelia in particular because fuck me you can tell exactly how it goes after one line and the pompous altruism schtick is insufferable.

ultra loser

Scholar
I don't get why Octopath is so popular. The battle system is mediocre and the gimmick doesn't improve the story.
It's literally like the old ass jrpgs where you just go through random battles for hours without any meaningful story.
It's only popular because it's on Switch and nintendrones hype every single game that comes out because there is nothing to play.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
It's not selling like FFVI or IX did back in the day, is it? Just moderately popular especially for its surely smaller budget?

Having gone a fair way into it, I think my comments above generally hold up. The combat definitely is superior to ye olde FF6-9 in that the weaknesses/breakpoints/etc, as well as the initiative bar, add a bit more possibility for synergy and planning than limit breaks and the like ever did. If only status effects weren't tuned down to irrelevance there could be some great situations. But it needs a tougher difficulty curve - haven't felt the need to grind at all with 8 characters, just doing quests and such gets you within ~5 levels of the enemy and that's enough to be comfortable.

Story quality seems very character dependent. As cliche as they all are, I enjoy the hunter, Olberic, Therion, a fair, bit, while I'm mostly skipping Ophelia in particular because fuck me you can tell exactly how it goes after one line and the pompous altruism schtick is insufferable.

I know nothing about the sales figures of either but I wouldn't be surprised. The demand for pixel art and JRPGs is probably lower than back in the days.

Still, the reason why it gets so much hype is because it is very similar to FF and it creates nostalgia.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

That's more a reflection of a crowded market place than anything else; only Squaresoft jRPGs got consistent Western releases back during the NES/SNES and there were like two major consoles, so for most people FF4, FF6, and Chrono Trigger were your jRPGs back in the 90s. There were some other contenders (like Earthbound), but they had no standing in the market and sold poorly.

Million copies is the golden "5,000,000" for platform exclusive games and it sold 1,000,000 copies months ago.

Also importantly sold them at Nintendo's inflexible prices, every 1,000,000 is $60,000,000 USD.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, it's definitely a success. And I think it certainly deserves moderate success at least, without being a fantastic GOTY material (whatever GOTY means these days).

Are there are any big fat optional bosses or something in the later game, or is it just spiral to the outer reaches of the map fulfilling the 4? chapters of each character?

J1M

Arcane
I don't get why Octopath is so popular. The battle system is mediocre and the gimmick doesn't improve the story.
It's literally like the old ass jrpgs where you just go through random battles for hours without any meaningful story.
It's only popular because it's on Switch and nintendrones hype every single game that comes out because there is nothing to play.
Do you actually like japanese story/writing? Everything I've seen in recent times has, without fail, been plodding and the same information repeated multiple times in the same conversation.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's definitely a success. And I think it certainly deserves moderate success at least, without being a fantastic GOTY material (whatever GOTY means these days).

Are there are any big fat optional bosses or something in the later game, or is it just spiral to the outer reaches of the map fulfilling the 4? chapters of each character?
There are four extra jobs that requires you to fight their respective shrine boss. Other than that, there are a few side quest bosses that offer a decent challenge. And last but not least, the final battle is quite challenging. It could be seen as a bit of a bullshit fight, tbh.

Do you actually like japanese story/writing? Everything I've seen in recent times has, without fail, been plodding and the same information repeated multiple times in the same conversation.
I watch a lot of anime, so I think Japanese storytelling isn't the issue. I haven't played any JRPGs in recent years that have been really excellent storywise, to be honest. Even JRPGs with quite interesting premises like Tales of Berseria haven't utilized those premises to especially great effect. That being said, since 2012 I haven't played all that many JRPGs. Maybe you can make a suggestion that I've overlooked?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Octopath Traveler rated for PC in Korea
posted on 04.05.19 at 04:37 AM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)
rated Octopath Traveler for PC.

The PC version is listed as published by Bandai Namco, which regularly publishes Square Enix titles in Korea.

The RPG first launched for Switch worldwide in July 2018. A smartphone prequel called Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent is currently in development.

Here is an overview of the game, via Nintendo.com:

About

Choose your fate. Eight stories await.

Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play in a new world brought to life by Square Enix. And now, you can enjoy all of them in the new demo. Step into the shoes and live the stories of each of the eight travelers and freely explore the world of Orsterra. Then, carry your choices and adventure into the main game with save data transfer.

Use each character’s special abilities in and out of battle. Break through enemy defenses by discovering and targeting weaknesses. Store Boost Points with each turn and then spend them at strategic times to strengthen abilities, chain attacks, or provide aid. Choose the path you wish to walk and discover what lies beyond the horizon.

Key Features

• Explore multiple, distinct RPG adventures in a world created by Square Enix
  • Choose from eight characters, each with their own distinct story
  • Deep, strategic turn-based combat with a layered battle system
  • Visuals inspired by retro RPGs, brought to life with modern touches and a rousing, dynamic musical score

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2019/04/octopath-traveler-rated-for-pc-in-korea#xzE3T58GCL9qygp6.99

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Never played it. From what I heard it's a good jRPG, but I would instabuy it on PC, mainly to hear first hand that glorious OST with its insane transitions

Tigranes

Arcane
Cool.

It's a good JRPG, especially if you enjoyed, say, FF6-9. It suffers from confusing "let's not be EPIC" (a welcome move in JRPGs especially) with "let's have a lot of boring scenes", and it is too easy for most Codexers I think, but it's a very charming game from an art style / sound standpoint and the battle system is quite decent with some fun twists.

I thought it was worth the money.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm pretty sure even they will notice someone throwing millions of dollars right in their faces.

Jinn

Arcane
Totally did not expect Octopath to ever get a PC release. Great news. Now please, don't become an EPIC store exclusive.

God I hate that bastard Tim Sweeney.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom