Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

ortucis

Prophet
[witcher 3 crafting]
the entire thing was horribly designed
You mean like the combat and majority of the side quests which are asking you to go kill a random unrelated ghost or a monster?
Speaking for myself I love this. This is one of the few games in which the protag's "day job" is interesting and has good gameplay all by itself. The "supernatural troubleshooter" concept in gaming has fascinated me since at least Nocturne (1999).
I agree. Most of them weren't "go kill nameless monster #3497", they were about a specific monster that was causing a lot of trouble, often with multiple ways to solve it.
The one that stuck with me most was the ancient leshen quest in Skellige. Was the Leshen actually protecting the village? Maybe not, but there was definitely a sort of symbiotic relationship between it killing off the weaker hunters and leaving the village stronger as an end result. It worked for the village this far, I saw no reason to possibly ruin the village by changing tradition.

Those monsters were causing so much trouble that nobody in the villages was in the panic mode.

Reminds me of the "GATES OF OBLIVION HAVE OPENED OMG RIGHT OUTSIDE", with NPC's casually discussing Mudcrabs inside the towns.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is Monster Hunter World even any good? I tried to play one of the 3DS versions but it was fucking awful.

It's the BEST RPG this year,
according to TGA.

If you like fight giant monsters and craft equipment for the characters you created, you get plenty of those, and nothing else.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those monsters were causing so much trouble that nobody in the villages was in the panic mode.
Reminds me of the "GATES OF OBLIVION HAVE OPENED OMG RIGHT OUTSIDE", with NPC's casually discussing Mudcrabs inside the towns.
I haven't seen the whole game yet, but I think you weren't paying attention when you played. These aren't rampaging beasts slaughtering entire villages, it's usually "a couple people disappeared" or "there are weird noises under the temple".

ortucis

Prophet
I haven't seen the whole game yet, but I think you weren't paying attention when you played. These aren't rampaging beasts slaughtering entire villages, it's usually "a couple people disappeared" or "there are weird noises under the temple".

I like how fanboys try to defend shitty game design.

Monsters/ghosts that are in public graveyards and houses, apparently those areas aren't important. And NPC's don't give a fuck cause they haven't been programmed to even walk outside the villages.

Might wanna pay more attention to the world instead of a sorry excuse of a side quest designed by your favorite game developer. :roll:

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Zombra has no honor and his ancestors waif with the damned, so of course he cares not for the resting places of the departed.

Neanderthal

Arcane
To be fair the Witcher isn't the only game world where this happens, almost every rpg has a surplus of monsters in civilised locales that would in theory make that society unable to function. The largely agrarian cultures wouldn't have peasants going out to work the fields if their job was that dangerous, trade routes would be untenable, militaries would be vastly overstretched yadda, yadda.

Never really addressed anywhere.

Funposter

Arcane

I like how fanboys try to defend shitty game design.

Monsters/ghosts that are in public graveyards and houses, apparently those areas aren't important. And NPC's don't give a fuck cause they haven't been programmed to even walk outside the villages.

Might wanna pay more attention to the world instead of a sorry excuse of a side quest designed by your favorite game developer. :roll:

is there a video game that this post doesn't apply to?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That means that 100% of games have "shitty design" by your standards.
edgy.png
cool_story_bro.png
Have fun with that.

ortucis

Prophet
That means that 100% of games have "shitty design" by your standards.
edgy.png
cool_story_bro.png
Have fun with that.

Yes they do, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun playing them.

Have fun living in a world where you have only two choices, either you like them or hate them, just cause you hated one part of them. Your life must be a Bethesda RPG.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To be fair the Witcher isn't the only game world where this happens, almost every rpg has a surplus of monsters in civilised locales that would in theory make that society unable to function. The largely agrarian cultures wouldn't have peasants going out to work the fields if their job was that dangerous, trade routes would be untenable, militaries would be vastly overstretched yadda, yadda.

Never really addressed anywhere.
In some games, this is merely a consequence of the scaling-down of the gameworld versus the much larger area it represents. In a game like Morrowind, it can be assumed the setting contains many more farms, mines, ranches, etc. than are actually depicted in the game, but, as these are located in safe areas without any quests attached to them or anything else of interest, they are left out of the gameworld following the scaling down to a more approachable size for the player. The ones left in the game tend to be much more dangerous than the "true" average for the setting.

Gerrard

Arcane
I found this recently while searching for something completely different
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015...conomy-was-saved-by-polynomial-least-squares/

For a game as complex and as huge as The Witcher 3, it's hard to imagine one of its core gameplay elements—one that ties the entire game together—didn't actually exist until mere months before its release. And yet, according to senior gameplay designer Matthew Steinke speaking at GDC Europe, that's exactly what happened with The Witcher 3's economy, crafting, and inventory systems. These three core elements of the game were "fragmented and incomplete" to the point that "there was no time left in the project to accomplish everything by the deadline."
What a shocker.
"I had specific goals for the economy," said Steinke. "I wanted players to need money for purchasing food, ingredients, and upgrades, to explore the world around them for new items, earning money from combat, and collecting loot along the way. I wanted them to buy better items to improve their stats. Additionally, I wanted these items to cost more, so that players felt like they were earning lots of money by the end of the game."
The economy needed to feel poor
???

So apparently not only do these people think that the game had good economy, it pretty much confirms what I said about the alchemy recipes that are never used because you find the high quality alcohols in some peasant's cupboard.

These aren't rampaging beasts slaughtering entire villages
But they should be, because those monsters and their nests are a stone's throw away from the villages, all because some autists (including on the Codex) can't deal with having "empty space" in the world to make it more believable.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
These aren't rampaging beasts slaughtering entire villages
But they should be, because those monsters and their nests are a stone's throw away from the villages, all because some autists (including on the Codex) can't deal with having "empty space" in the world to make it more believable.
For the first time ever, a video game has been created that isn't as vast and empty as the real world. Shame on you CDPR!

Zombra

Patron
Hey Falksi, I made my first set of Witcher gear (the Griffin armor), and looking at the stats it's not that great compared to any other crafted stuff of equal level. Does this change later in the game, or were you just fucking with me? You have no idea what I went through to find those stupid 6 meteorite ingots.

Comte

This game feels like playing GTA in a fantasy realm with trash mobs and loot everywhere. I think I am about to uninstall this. I am about 20 hours in. Story is boring "sorry princess Ciri is in another castle". Not really grabbing me. Is it worth pushing on? Or am I just getting too old for this shit?

GrainWetski

Arcane
This game feels like playing GTA in a fantasy realm with trash mobs and loot everywhere. I think I am about to uninstall this. I am about 20 hours in. Story is boring "sorry princess Ciri is in another castle". Not really grabbing me. Is it worth pushing on? Or am I just getting too old for this shit?
You obviously shouldn't continue if you're not enjoying it after 20 hours. It's not going to get any better.

Swigen

Arbiter

Have you not seen any titties yet? ‘Cause there are titties in this game. Might wanna hang in there if you haven’t seen any titties yet.

Funposter

Arcane

tbh the first 20 hours are probably the best part of the game. maybe some of the later quests are better, or more involved, but if you've solved all of the stuff involving the bloody baron and visited novigrad, you've seen 90% of what the game really has to offer.

Falksi

Arcane
Hey Falksi, I made my first set of Witcher gear (the Griffin armor), and looking at the stats it's not that great compared to any other crafted stuff of equal level. Does this change later in the game, or were you just fucking with me? You have no idea what I went through to find those stupid 6 meteorite ingots.

It makes a big difference mate because of all the added bonuses you get when you have a full set of armour. The more you upgrade the gear, the greater the bonus'.

Personally I found the Griffin gear made the game a cakewalk.

Falksi

Arcane

That's exactly the prob I had with it.

If you want to get your money's worth from it, do the main quest (it is boring in large parts, but Bloody Baron is good and towards the end things pick up slightly), the main side quests on Skellig Island, Fools Gold, Kiera Metz' side quest, and Carnal Sins. Don't waste any time exploring, pissing about with POIs or random contracts.

From that I got a 6/10 experience.

If you can't be arsed with that (and on reflection I wish I hadn't) skip to the expansions. Both are structured FAR better than the main game, with way less filler, and far more fun. Personally I hated the main game as an overall experience (20% fun, 80% slog) but thrived on Blood and Wine and kept the game just for that. Blood & Wine to me was an 8 maybe even 9/10 blast (but again i did little exploring)

Hevnknekt

Educated
CDPR fucked us over so hard with Gwent that all their former games feel dead to me now.

:dead:

Quillon

Arcane
Gcame, Gwent... just forget about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom