Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Black

Arcane
Ash I don't appreciate you putting your fanfics into the game.
1532486300916.png

Ash

Arcane
Fake News. You must be playing a different Deus Ex mod. With GMDX you only get content that is A BOMB! to experience.

Yeah yeah I know you used that text generator.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Huh, this could improve the original 3D character models without loosing the original feel. I couldn't stand the new character models of HDTP

Has anyone here done a non-lethal play through with GMDX? It's possible someone already posted about it, but i'm too stopid to read through the pages.

Anyway, I got GMDX when it first released (around the time i've discovered Deus ex), and i have to say: the mod has drastically improved Non-lethal play and stealth.

Enemies' AI can no longer be easily exploited; they can no longer be easily baited with sound distractions, or be easily bypassed with their sub-par senses (inadequate field of view and view range).

GMDX's Liberty island is all the more memorable because of how different it felt from vanilla Deus ex, barring the graphical updates. I found myself taking much more time to bypass enemy patrols with care, and also exploring the level as well. The funny thing is that Liberty Island itself was barely changed at all. The more challenging and responsive AI provided just enough to make the experience much more enjoyable and immersive. I usually get chills down my spine whenever i successfully sneak by enemies in vanilla Deus ex, but in GMDX, that feeling is increased ten-fold.

The incline does nothing but increase as you take your non-lethal build through the grimey streets of the New York levels.

And as GMDX substantially increases the difficulty of the AI, it also increases the relevancy and effectiveness of the non-lethal load out (primarily the Baton, the riot Prod, Pepper spray, and the crossbow).

In vanilla Deus ex, it can be rather easy for new players to over look the baton, as it's pretty much worse than both the knife and crowbar in direct melee combat. It's also hard to reliably perform non-lethal take downs from behind when you don't know where to strike (aim for the belt line - above the ass). Vanilla baton's problem primarily comes from the fact that it cannot reliably perform take downs on enemies that are either stunned by the riot prod, or gas and pepper spray. The only way it could, was to invest valuable augmentation upgrades into combat strength all the way towards tech 4. This felt fairly unfair considering it could pretty much only be used for stealthy take downs, and drastically reduced the relevancy of the weapon as well as non-lethal play as a whole.

Thankfully, in GMDX, the baton can perform these takedowns on stunned enemies without needing to waste augmentation upgrades, or even skill points as well. It's also notable that GMDX's baton can also knockout MJ-12 commandos as well. that's steady incline for me.

I'll lump together the prod and the pepper spray together since they had no problems in vanilla Deus ex. However, in GMDX, you can still use some weapon modifications on them and improve their effectiveness at their respective roles (If i recall correctly, you could also modify the pepper spray with range mods). I also like this a lot.

GMDX's Crossbow thankfully also had some major improvements as well. The tranquilizer effect works faster and isn't silly like in vanilla, and it's also possible to instantly knockout enemies with the tranquilizer darts if you land a headshot. I really like that the weapon's effectiveness can increase by a lot providing that you have skill. And my god, is it overwhelmingly orgasmic when you land a headshot with the tranquilizer darts from far away. There's also a new dart type for the crossbow in GMDX that stuns enemies upon contact (though they are very rare).

sry for the long winded, and quite frankly, useless post. just wanted to share my thoughts on what GMDX's changes and improvements it has upon non-lethal play.

Ash

Arcane
My preferences:

Lethal Combat > Lethal Stealth > Non-Lethal Stealth >= Non-lethal combat

Prod with the GEP GUN!

All styles are drastically improved through wep enhancements, AI etc. Damn the AI work I did with this mod is some gud shit.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I like the new AI more, it's more organized in it's actions, although still defenseless against crouching agent. NPCs view-cone is strictly 2D? And hard on noticing suspicious pant and rustle I find.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Fine, fine, I'll get back to work on this. I was taking a break with my Prey stuff, but that hit a roadblock (was 98% ready to release but discovered a major issue with a change I made and don't know how to salvage it) and I shouldn't let that delay me any further.

Ech, getting flashbacks to the trial and error suffering I had to endure to get animated cloak textures working on the HDTP-reverted prod. This is going to be painful.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • In game descriptions aren't updated since I messed up and copied the new localization file into the wrong place. Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.int to get the updated descriptions

I've prepared a small hotfix for a handful of issues that have cropped up in testing.

Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.u to apply the changes. Should not require a restart of your playthrough.
I started a new playthrough of your beta and applied the hotfix to [Install]\Deus Ex\System\. But I noticed that maximum inventory cigarette count was still 20 and I couldn't properly unlock the Misfeature Exploit perk.
So I restored the original DeusEx.u and put your hotfix in [Install]\Deus Ex\GMDXv9\System instead, and now those two things are fixed. Is that where it's supposed to go?

Right now I've put:
  • DeusEx.u in [Install]\Deus Ex\GMDXv9\System\
  • DeusEx.int in [Install]\Deus Ex\System\
And everything seems fine, but I don't know what DeusEx.int changed so I can't check for updated descriptions.

RoSoDude

Arcane
  • In game descriptions aren't updated since I messed up and copied the new localization file into the wrong place. Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.int to get the updated descriptions

I've prepared a small hotfix for a handful of issues that have cropped up in testing.

Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.u to apply the changes. Should not require a restart of your playthrough.
I started a new playthrough of your beta and applied the hotfix to [Install]\Deus Ex\System\. But I noticed that maximum inventory cigarette count was still 20 and I couldn't properly unlock the Misfeature Exploit perk.
So I restored the original DeusEx.u and put your hotfix in [Install]\Deus Ex\GMDXv9\System instead, and now those two things are fixed. Is that where it's supposed to go?

Right now I've put:
  • DeusEx.u in [Install]\Deus Ex\GMDXv9\System\
  • DeusEx.int in [Install]\Deus Ex\System\
And everything seems fine, but I don't know what DeusEx.int changed so I can't check for updated descriptions.

Uhhh wow I can't believe I said to put the DeusEx.u file in Deus Ex\System and never gave it a second thought in all this time, it obviously should go in GMDXv9\System. It's because I work in the main game folder for modding, but I should have caught that. And you're the first to tell me. Argh.

For updated descriptions, go into perks and check if you have any of the new perks listed, like Sidearm and One-handed for Pistols. The DeusEx.int should in fact go in the main System folder by the way, you're right about that.

Anyway, thanks for the interest in testing. I'm currently working through my to-do list, mostly fixes and technical improvements. It's going well and I should have an update soon. I may be able to pass along the latest version, which shouldn't have super incomplete features that could thwart a playthrough.

As a teaser, I made a demo of the new laser sight accuracy model to replace the expired and outdated webms from way back.

What you see here is the new simulated accuracy model for the laser sight in GMDX. All weapon skills are untrained in this demonstration.
  • The laser dot randomly wavers within your accuracy zone similar to scope waver, with a 1st-order decay back to the center to simulate JC attempting to align his aim
  • As your accuracy zone tightens over time, the laser dot will stabilize
  • Every time you fire a shot, the laser dot is kicked to a new position in your accuracy zone depending on weapon recoil, balancing it for single-fire and automatic weapons alike
Also visible in this video are the fixed targeting reticle (now precisely sized to current accuracy for all weapons), new plasma rifle accuracy model (slight spread around a variable center rather than large spread around a fixed center, remains with the laser sight active), and the ability to individually select vanilla or HDTP weapon models.

Master

Arbiter
Has anyone here done a non-lethal play through with GMDX? It's possible someone already posted about it, but i'm too stopid to read through the pages.

Anyway, I got GMDX when it first released (around the time i've discovered Deus ex), and i have to say: the mod has drastically improved Non-lethal play and stealth.

Enemies' AI can no longer be easily exploited; they can no longer be easily baited with sound distractions, or be easily bypassed with their sub-par senses (inadequate field of view and view range).

GMDX's Liberty island is all the more memorable because of how different it felt from vanilla Deus ex, barring the graphical updates. I found myself taking much more time to bypass enemy patrols with care, and also exploring the level as well. The funny thing is that Liberty Island itself was barely changed at all. The more challenging and responsive AI provided just enough to make the experience much more enjoyable and immersive. I usually get chills down my spine whenever i successfully sneak by enemies in vanilla Deus ex, but in GMDX, that feeling is increased ten-fold.

The incline does nothing but increase as you take your non-lethal build through the grimey streets of the New York levels.

And as GMDX substantially increases the difficulty of the AI, it also increases the relevancy and effectiveness of the non-lethal load out (primarily the Baton, the riot Prod, Pepper spray, and the crossbow).

In vanilla Deus ex, it can be rather easy for new players to over look the baton, as it's pretty much worse than both the knife and crowbar in direct melee combat. It's also hard to reliably perform non-lethal take downs from behind when you don't know where to strike (aim for the belt line - above the ass). Vanilla baton's problem primarily comes from the fact that it cannot reliably perform take downs on enemies that are either stunned by the riot prod, or gas and pepper spray. The only way it could, was to invest valuable augmentation upgrades into combat strength all the way towards tech 4. This felt fairly unfair considering it could pretty much only be used for stealthy take downs, and drastically reduced the relevancy of the weapon as well as non-lethal play as a whole.

Thankfully, in GMDX, the baton can perform these takedowns on stunned enemies without needing to waste augmentation upgrades, or even skill points as well. It's also notable that GMDX's baton can also knockout MJ-12 commandos as well. that's steady incline for me.

I'll lump together the prod and the pepper spray together since they had no problems in vanilla Deus ex. However, in GMDX, you can still use some weapon modifications on them and improve their effectiveness at their respective roles (If i recall correctly, you could also modify the pepper spray with range mods). I also like this a lot.

GMDX's Crossbow thankfully also had some major improvements as well. The tranquilizer effect works faster and isn't silly like in vanilla, and it's also possible to instantly knockout enemies with the tranquilizer darts if you land a headshot. I really like that the weapon's effectiveness can increase by a lot providing that you have skill. And my god, is it overwhelmingly orgasmic when you land a headshot with the tranquilizer darts from far away. There's also a new dart type for the crossbow in GMDX that stuns enemies upon contact (though they are very rare).

sry for the long winded, and quite frankly, useless post. just wanted to share my thoughts on what GMDX's changes and improvements it has upon non-lethal play.
GMDX is great but vanilla isnt worse, its just different. The AI may be dumber but the game plays much faster that way, which is is sometimes more dope.
Otoh the crossbow changes (headshot instaknockout) remove some tension that vanilla had...
Say is there any way to remove all graphical changes from GMDX, weapon models etc.?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom