Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Absinthe

Arcane
I know the campaign plays out more like a RPG than RTS but the game itself is more of a RTS. Pretty sure this should be in the strategy section, guys. What gives?

Dodo1610

Arcane

GelGel

Educated
Anyone manage to enable MSI Afterburner OSD (Rivatuner) on Spellforce 3?
I wanna monitor my CPU and RAM usage, but monitoring software permits me to do that (DX12).

Mark Richard

Arcane
Spellforce 3 reminds me of Dragon Commander with its irritating RTS sections, except this time those sections are mandatory. I hate being dragged away from the compelling story and party-based adventuring to painstakingly grind down a foe who insists on building a metropolis at every outpost point. And that's the best case scenario. In the last battle I held out long enough to get the next tier of units thinking they'd be the turning point, but the results were anticlimactic. Clearly the key is to capture as many points as possible and outproduce the enemy, except owning more territory continually divides your attention until micromanaging becomes a nightmare. The AI opponent has no such worries.

Dragon Commander had an option to reduce the game speed. Spellforce 2 too. I could reduce the difficulty, but it would ruin the adventuring portion of the game.

:negative:

Incendax

Augur
Spellforce 3 reminds me of Dragon Commander with its irritating RTS sections, except this time those sections are mandatory. I hate being dragged away from the compelling story and party-based adventuring to painstakingly grind down a foe who insists on building a metropolis at every outpost point. And that's the best case scenario. In the last battle I held out long enough to get the next tier of units thinking they'd be the turning point, but the results were anticlimactic. Clearly the key is to capture as many points as possible and outproduce the enemy, except owning more territory continually divides your attention until micromanaging becomes a nightmare. The AI opponent has no such worries.
I used the far more lame tactic of rampaging across the map with my hilariously overpowered heroes while my army sat at home and played checkers. Sure, my base got attacked sometimes - but that’s what titans are for.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Clearly the key is to capture as many points as possible and outproduce the enemy
Nah, the key to all Spellforce games was always to rush the enemies either with a tiny fighting force or only your heroes when they leveled up a bit. You can't outproduce the enemies because they don't play the same game, as in they don't gather resources and build armies, their units spawn out of thin air and will forever continue to spawn, there were some maps in the first Spellforce on hard where it's literally impossible to defeat the enemy with the intended strategy because you can only ever gather enough resources to force a stalemate between you and the enemy, but nobody can produce enough units to defeat the other. The only way to do it is to restart the map and rush the enemies only with your heroes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Clearly the key is to capture as many points as possible and outproduce the enemy
Nah, the key to all Spellforce games was always to rush the enemies either with a tiny fighting force or only your heroes when they leveled up a bit. You can't outproduce the enemies because they don't play the same game, as in they don't gather resources and build armies, their units spawn out of thin air and will forever continue to spawn, there were some maps in the first Spellforce on hard where it's literally impossible to defeat the enemy with the intended strategy because you can only ever gather enough resources to force a stalemate between you and the enemy, but nobody can produce enough units to defeat the other. The only way to do it is to restart the map and rush the enemies only with your heroes.
This is incredible bad design, how can shit like this survive three games?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been asking myself the same question. The RTS part has always been really basic and the AI shit, so the only way to challenge you is to forever bombard you from all sides with cannon fodder. The problem was solved in WC3 already, though, they should've focused on small-scale skirmishes with distinct units for the RTS part. I suppose they wanted the battles to feel "epic", but littering the battlefield with masses of easily dispatched units meant that heroes can easily AoE them down and their numbers don't matter.

Incendax

Augur
This is incredible bad design, how can shit like this survive three games?
It’s basically Diablo. The power fantasy of smashing wave after wave of enemies like Sauron, with a variety of different builds.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
I've been asking myself the same question. The RTS part has always been really basic and the AI shit, so the only way to challenge you is to forever bombard you from all sides with cannon fodder. The problem was solved in WC3 already, though, they should've focused on small-scale skirmishes with distinct units for the RTS part. I suppose they wanted the battles to feel "epic", but littering the battlefield with masses of easily dispatched units meant that heroes can easily AoE them down and their numbers don't matter.

The 1st Spellforce didn't even had a real AI, your AI opponents could produce endless waves of soldiers as long as they had buildings. The reason for this is that the game didn't have RTS gameplay originally, in thruth Spellforce was an MMORPG until the late in development. german source because german studio:
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/warum_der_verfassungsschutz_jowood_besuchte,3306195.html
As much as I loved the RPG part of Spellforce 3 the RTS parts was clearly underdeveloped, it simply doesn't requires any strategy to win just large armies.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason HandyGames (THQ Nordic's mobile publisher) released turn-based spin-off on mobile. It's NOT free-to-play and has no microtransactions, boasting "100%-story free":

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spellforce-heroes-magic/id1451708258
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hg.spellforce

Time for a new turn on the critically acclaimed SpellForce-Series. The epic fantasy saga is finally available on mobile devices, offering a whole new angle to the franchise. Leaving the story of its PC ancestors untouched and comes indeed 100%-story free, the Premium Game will offer turn-based strategy and tactics instead of real-time.

CRAFT YOUR FANTASY EMPIRE

Creating an own Kingdom turn by turn is the main goal in the 13-Mission long adventure mode or the free game, where you are facing your AI-opponents on randomly generated maps. Choose between the Dark Elves, the Orcs or Humans as playable races and ally or fight six neutral factions. Send your troops to conquer cities, to claim mines or farms and to search for treasure.

EXPLORE NEW LANDS

Your race’s hero will lead your army on their search for glory, treasures and valuable resources to exploit. Because your ever-expanding empire needs them to prosper. When you find new cities, you can muster new unique unitsand command them in any battle that lies ahead.

BATTLE YOUR ENEMIES

While your heroes explore the realms, you will meet your opponents on the battlefield and will exterminate them in simultaneous turn-based combats. Played out on hexagons, you’ll send Archers, Catapults, Knights or Dark Elf Necromancers against beasts & enemies like Spiders, Shadow Nightmares or Barbarian Berserkers. While you plan your actions, so does your enemy. When you both execute your plans, you’ll see who the better strategist is.

EVOLVE YOUR SOLDIERS

SpellForce: Heroes & Magic is also an Role Playing Game. Your hero and your soldiers both gain experience and they both can find magical items like swords, armor or other equipment. When you level up, you can learn new skills and of course seasoned warriors are more valuable on the battlefields than fresh recruits.

Features:

● No microtransactions, no lootboxes, no ads, not a single Free2play mechanic. Just a great game.
● Craft your own fantasy empire: Expand, Explore, Exploit and Exterminate. And no, we don’t think it’s a 4X game – do you?
● Lead your Heroes: Carry the battle to your opponents and defeat them.
● A world of magic: Heroes and units can cast Lightning Strikes or Fear Spells, can stun foes or heal companions.
● Simultaneously turn-based combat: Plan your armies’ actions while your enemy does and execute them at the same time.
● Items, Level ups, Skill-Trees: Individualize your army with fully fledged RPG mechanics.
● 3 Playable Races: Orcs, Humans, Dark Elves & their iconic heroes await your commands.
● 6 Neutral Races to ally with or fight against: Gargoyles, Shadows, Elves, Dwarves, Barbarians and Trolls are either loyal companions or fearsome enemies on the battlefield.
● Over 30 different units to muster and to lead into combat.

Dodo1610

Arcane
This mobile game seems to uses almost exclusively use assets from Spellforce 2 for some reason. Even the units' animations are ripped straight out of the game:lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
almost exclusively use assets from Spellforce 2 for some reason
Because they were already made and hence free and hence saved a whole bunch of work on making new assets for what is a relatively cheap mobile game. It's not too hard a concept.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The Spellforce 3 "Soul Harvest" expansion looks really nice. First Strategy Game that caught my attention in years. Reminds me a lot of "C&C Tiberium Wars" (which I liked as well).
Even better that it comes to GOG and is a "Standalone" game (no base game required).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Soul Harvest concept art

raphael-lubke-cahlabrok-flat.jpg

raphael-lubke-sf3sh-1.jpg

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The base game is surprisingly good, most RTS/RPG games I've played were shit and here you have it - quite an exception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom