Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

completed Wizardry V, the other day, after a bit of screaming. Tempted to start Wizardry VI, however a bit concerned :P

No Great Name

Arcane
I finished up Floor 5 without much trouble and continued to Floor 6 which was fairly easy overall. However, I learned (the hard way of course) that if you fall into a pit and then immediately fight an encounter on that same square, you will fall into the pit a second time immediately after finishing the encounter before you can move your party. My Thief ended up getting buried after failing two resurrection attempts because of that. Just gotta run from the encounter next time.

No Great Name

Arcane
Floor 7 threw my party for a loop between the pits in the middle and the teleporters I stumbled blindly into. Pits killed two different mages at two separate times due to being unlucky and permanently losing both of them to the temple's incompetence. I'm now at the 5th mage clone. Floor 8 was fairly uneventful and there were tons of scary encounters while mapping Floor 9. I experienced my first level drain here and my party was also surprised by a group of Priests and Dragons who destroyed my party after a failed run attempt with their breath attacks. Luckily they only died a couple of rooms away from the elevator so I was able to get a backup party to Floor 9 without needing the Blue Ribbon by taking the stairs to Floor 5 and the express elevator down the rest of the way to recover my main party. Unfortunately, I permanently lost my 2nd fighter so I ended up promoting the best fighter from my backup party to my main party.

I'm going to try to get his health to be at least greater than 50 before I take on the 10th and final floor next time I play.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
How do people get their characters to have hundreds of hitpoints in the early wizardry games? You see it all the time in clips on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaQuD0hUPc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSd5VG6-yw

Are they hacking their characters or grinding for hundreds of hours? I mean you get 1d10 hp as a fighter right? So you need 20 levels to theoretically get to 200hp. The 2nd clip has characters with over 1k hp. How is it possible?

No Great Name

Arcane
There has to be more than just 1d10 hp for a fighter on level up because my fighter once got a 23hp increase. My fighter has 99hp at level 11 but I have a second fighter that currently has 38 hp at level 7 so it seems pretty random.

Still, over 1k hp sounds ridiculous. Is the way health is determined in Wizardry I different from the other ones? I'm playing the DOS version if that makes a difference.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
How do people get their characters to have hundreds of hitpoints in the early wizardry games? You see it all the time in clips on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZaQuD0hUPc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSd5VG6-yw

Are they hacking their characters or grinding for hundreds of hours? I mean you get 1d10 hp as a fighter right? So you need 20 levels to theoretically get to 200hp. The 2nd clip has characters with over 1k hp. How is it possible?
My dad did it back on the NES. All his guys were just level 160. He'd grind for hours and hours, no idea why. He also told me that you gain experience if you just bump into walls and you're holding the Amulet of Werdna.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Usually it's the console ports that have the crazy high HP characters but if you google for screenshots you can see it in the original Apple version too. But I think you can just do the bishop exp cheat on the pc/Apple versions.
wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord_5.gif

skeletons.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane

My dad did it back on the NES. All his guys were just level 160. He'd grind for hours and hours, no idea why. He also told me that you gain experience if you just bump into walls and you're holding the Amulet of Werdna.
Damn dude, RPGs are in your blood.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
There has to be more than just 1d10 hp for a fighter on level up because my fighter once got a 23hp increase. My fighter has 99hp at level 11 but I have a second fighter that currently has 38 hp at level 7 so it seems pretty random.

Still, over 1k hp sounds ridiculous. Is the way health is determined in Wizardry I different from the other ones? I'm playing the DOS version if that makes a difference.

Wizardry games reroll your entire health pool on every level up. If the new total is lower than the current total, you get 1 hp. This means if you roll poorly several levels in a row, on one level you'll suddenly gain a ton. It all averages out over the long run.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How do people get their characters to have hundreds of hitpoints in the early wizardry games? You see it all the time in clips on youtube:

In general I've found YouTube gamers to be rather poor players, but they compensate by shameless savescumming and grinding. It's very rare to see a YouTuber who has not max HP on all his characters, for example.

No Great Name

Arcane
I attempted to take on the 10th floor today, but I was unable to reach Werdna and had a total party wipe. My level 10/11 party didn't make it after a couple of unlucky encounters against level-draining vampires and ghosts who kept putting my party to sleep. Had to create a new party and I think I'll try again at level 13 which is when I think my casters unlock the level 7 spells.

In general I've found YouTube gamers to be rather poor players, but they compensate by shameless savescumming and grinding. It's very rare to see a YouTuber who has not max HP on all his characters, for example.
What's max level and HP in Wizardry I out of curiosity?

Piotrovitz

Savant
I'm having another attempt at Wiz 7 and got stuck at the same place as before - those savant troopers at the constabulary just keep raping me with their stun lances.

Rolling with FGT/LOR/THF/BAR/PRI/ALC party, all around lvl 6-7, no multiclassing. Cleared out beginning wilderness/dungeon and most of the new city, and majority of the fights so far (rattkins/gorns/munks) were doable. Smaller groups of savant guards are also ok. It's just the fucking constabulary I can't get through, with pack of 2-3 troopers and 6-8 guards. Bard's sleep doesn't seem to work on them, and Alc's debuffs like blinding light/confusion are always landing rather poorly/randomly. Stun lances are doing shitload of dmg and leaving half of my party paralyzed, which is basically game over.

Am I doing something wrong (like haven't multiclassed yet), or just suck at this game?

I finished Wiz 8 couple of times on expert with different party builds and it was always a cakewalk.
Here, I just can't get through beginning area, which is fucking baffling.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Damn dude, RPGs are in your blood.
Haha, I learned to read watching my dad play Wizardry. He liked all the old Sir-Tech games.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I'm having another attempt at Wiz 7 and got stuck at the same place as before - those savant troopers at the constabulary just keep raping me with their stun lances.

Rolling with FGT/LOR/THF/BAR/PRI/ALC party, all around lvl 6-7, no multiclassing. Cleared out beginning wilderness/dungeon and most of the new city, and majority of the fights so far (rattkins/gorns/munks) were doable. Smaller groups of savant guards are also ok. It's just the fucking constabulary I can't get through, with pack of 2-3 troopers and 6-8 guards. Bard's sleep doesn't seem to work on them, and Alc's debuffs like blinding light/confusion are always landing rather poorly/randomly. Stun lances are doing shitload of dmg and leaving half of my party paralyzed, which is basically game over.

Am I doing something wrong (like haven't multiclassed yet), or just suck at this game?

I finished Wiz 8 couple of times on expert with different party builds and it was always a cakewalk.
Here, I just can't get through beginning area, which is fucking baffling.

You should probably just go somewhere else for awhile until you gain more levels.

Fighter/Lord/Thief is a weak front line. Thief adds nothing and Fighter is just a placeholder for class changes. Fighters also have a bug where they take double damage, it can be fixed with mods.

I like to have a spear user in the back row for extra melee power. You can get spear +2s in Gorn castle that are pretty good.

I'd class change the fighter and thief, maybe to samurai and ninja or monk. I found Gorn castle sufficient for class changing from levels 5-8.

You also need nukes. Fireball and Nuclear Blast will solve a lot of problems. I don't know the alchemist lineup that well but with bard and priest you have buffs and heals covered, you are lacking in offensive magic.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Fighter/Lord/Thief is a weak front line. Thief adds nothing and Fighter is just a placeholder for class changes. Fighters also have a bug where they take double damage, it can be fixed with mods.
Heard about this bug, but never really noticed it - FGT seems to take the similar amount of dmg as LOR. Dunno.

I'd class change the fighter and thief, maybe to samurai and ninja or monk. I found Gorn castle sufficient for class changing from levels 5-8.
I didn't want to spent an hour rolling chars, so I just settled for whatever came out after first try, and ended with chars which have too low stats to multi, even at lvl 7. Bad move.
Beside, if you change class to nin/sam early game, doesn't that leave you butt-naked with no weapons you can use?
Wouldn't it be better to roll with dracon nin and felpurr sam from the beginning?

You also need nukes. Fireball and Nuclear Blast will solve a lot of problems. I don't know the alchemist lineup that well but with bard and priest you have buffs and heals covered, you are lacking in offensive magic.
Alc has whipping rocks, but it's nothing to write home about unfortunately.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I didn't want to spent an hour rolling chars, so I just settled for whatever came out after first try, and ended with chars which have too low stats to multi, even at lvl 7. Bad move.
Beside, if you change class to nin/sam early game, doesn't that leave you butt-naked with no weapons you can use?
Wouldn't it be better to roll with dracon nin and felpurr sam from the beginning?

You should be able to buy all the basic equipment you need in New City. Ninjas and Monks are probably better off with Martial Arts + Kirijutsu anyway. Samurai get more attacks and have the best hit rate of all classes, plus Kirijutsu for insta kills.

I played with a Wiz 6 import party that had all the overpowered weapons from that game, so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice.

The point of class changing is to give you extra skill points to pump weapon and class skills as well as extra spell picks. Even if you can't get exactly the class you want, shuffling people through 1-2 classes will give you a nice boost in skill points.

No Great Name

Arcane
It's official. I have finally beaten Wizardy I.

On my first attempt, my party was surprised and Werdna immedietely opened with a decapitation and put everyone to sleep on the next turn. My second attempt was even worse than the first one, but the third attempt is where I defeated him with only my 2 low-health mages dying. I had to use the amulet to Malor out since my mages were dead but I was able to revive them at the temple shortly after anyways.

I finished with a level 13 party (except for one of my priests who got level drained during the fight) and I'll keep the file to import into Wizardry II whenever I get around to playing it. Don't know when though.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Soooo I've been playing Wizardry 7 for some time and unfortunately my monk caught the disease. Ever worse - I didn't notice it because an icon next to his avatar was showing only another illness - nausea, so I pretty much ignored that. He didn't get better and only after a closer inspection I did find out, that all illnesses are shown on the character screen. Well, that's a bummer, but hey, I can just reload. And there came another surprise - I was naming my saves SCENARIO1.DBS, SCENARIO2.DBS and although everything seemed fine, the game didn't actually create separated save files, but was just saving all that in a default SCENARIO.DBS save file, so no reload for me. I also read that there is some kind of freaky bug in the game concerning disease that you pretty much can't get rid of that effect as a result.

I have to say I'm really disappointed. I was doing really well despite some weak choices in party creation and was kicking ass in New City. Oh well, I'm not gonna give up. At least I can adjust my party to be even more awesome.

Martyr

Arcane
Soooo I've been playing Wizardry 7 for some time and unfortunately my monk caught the disease. Ever worse - I didn't notice it because an icon next to his avatar was showing only another illness - nausea, so I pretty much ignored that. He didn't get better and only after a closer inspection I did find out, that all illnesses are shown on the character screen. Well, that's a bummer, but hey, I can just reload. And there came another surprise - I was naming my saves SCENARIO1.DBS, SCENARIO2.DBS and although everything seemed fine, the game didn't actually create separated save files, but was just saving all that in a default SCENARIO.DBS save file, so no reload for me. I also read that there is some kind of freaky bug in the game concerning disease that you pretty much can't get rid of that effect as a result.

I have to say I'm really disappointed. I was doing really well despite some weak choices in party creation and was kicking ass in New City. Oh well, I'm not gonna give up. At least I can adjust my party to be even more awesome.
assuming you've entered New City for the first time you could just start a new game, if the disease bothers you that much. since you already know what to do up until New City, it won't take as much time as playing it for the first time.
and yes, death can safely be ignored once one of your party members can cast the recharge spell - just recharge the amulet found in the Horror of Rasepratep dungeon a few times and you're good to go.

EverlastingLove

Learned
assuming you've entered New City for the first time you could just start a new game, if the disease bothers you that much. since you already know what to do up until New City, it won't take as much time as playing it for the first time.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I'm now contemplating how good ninjutsu really is. My two party members won't have a chance to learn it: Priest -> Valkyrie and Mage -> Samurai and my Mage is… pretty disappoiting so far

Martyr

Arcane

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I'm now contemplating how good ninjutsu really is. My two party members won't have a chance to learn it: Priest -> Valkyrie and Mage -> Samurai and my Mage is… pretty disappoiting so far
mages can become overpowered insta-kill freaks later on. shrill sound and whipping rocks FTW !!

EverlastingLove

Learned

mages can become overpowered insta-kill freaks later on. shrill sound and whipping rocks FTW !!

good to know, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom