Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Deleted Member 16721

I doubt it. Breath of the wild doesn't hold the players hand either and it was very well received by the press. Perhaps Pirahna is the problem?

I disagree. Because casual players see an action RPG and expect - Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc.. They don't expect what ELEX is, and it throws them for a curveball. I think Zelda fans are up for anything, they've been dedicated to that series for years. PB just made a game that *looks* casual, but is actually massively hardcore, and newcomers are usually not so quick to stick around or try and figure it out if they're expecting a different type of experience. Just my 2.

Murk

Arcane
Witcher's combat is literally press button so your guy flies to the enemy and kills it. It definitely holds your hand, nevermind the 'vision' that paints bright red footsteps to solve any/every quest that involves 'investigation'.

Morkar Left

I doubt it. Breath of the wild doesn't hold the players hand either and it was very well received by the press. Perhaps Pirahna is the problem?

I disagree. Because casual players see an action RPG and expect - Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc.. They don't expect what ELEX is, and it throws them for a curveball. I think Zelda fans are up for anything, they've been dedicated to that series for years. PB just made a game that *looks* casual, but is actually massively hardcore, and newcomers are usually not so quick to stick around or try and figure it out if they're expecting a different type of experience. Just my 2.

The problem with ELEX! is, that the combat is more complex than you think it is. And PB does not explain it at all. Or how leveling works or dialog checks. You have an established player character with it's own history without the knowledge of the world he should have (memory loss aside). They should have lead you to the domed city and should have made more beginner quests there. This city could have been a great introduction to the whole setting instead of getting limited to the berserks in the beginning. The main routes between the cities should be mostly safe to travel with beatable critters right from the beginning. People would get than instantly that the main ways are safe but going off the beaten path you hvae to be strong, quick or clever. It doesn't help that most of the quest you get at the beginning let's you travel around the whole world only to arrive and realize that you have no fucking chance to win the combat that awaits you there (completely unaware that there even is a fight ahead ofc). NPCs should check your level and stating "lol, nice try. But you weakling better come back when you're actually capable. I need someone to actually solve my problem."

The game is pretty good but lacks polishing and has some really rough parts, especially in the beginning. And the beginning here takes around 15 hours...

Deleted Member 16721

Again, you're asking for a more normal experience. ELEX is different. Half the joy is that there are tough enemies everywhere (which you can easily avoid by running and jetpacking away if you don't see them coming.) We don't more RPGs with normal ideas, have a starter city with weak enemies on the path there, etc.. Those are decline ideas. ELEX is brilliant because it does the exact opposite of what you'd expect and you have to actually use your brain to figure out quickly what you can fight and what you can't. You have to think on a higher level with ELEX and RPG design than what you're proposing, no offense.

Swigen

Arbiter
I honestly wouldn’t change anything about ELEX, I just wish it was more successful so we’d get a sequel. The difficulty in the beginning made it more immersive for me. I mean you’re essentially a castaway washed ashore helpless and alone. I was grabbed by the setting and story though, so there was incentive for me to overcome. I mean take a game like Atom, if you’re not interested in the setting / story you just may give up at the first town ‘cause the fucking toadstools don’t have a quest marker on them with a smoke trail pointing the way.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I just picked up this game, but I realized my computer might not be able to run it. If it's half as good as Gothic 2, I want to see PB make more of it.

Jinn

Arcane
I honestly wouldn’t change anything about ELEX, I just wish it was more successful so we’d get a sequel. The difficulty in the beginning made it more immersive for me. I mean you’re essentially a castaway washed ashore helpless and alone. I was grabbed by the setting and story though, so there was incentive for me to overcome. I mean take a game like Atom, if you’re not interested in the setting / story you just may give up at the first town ‘cause the fucking toadstools don’t have a quest marker on them with a smoke trail pointing the way.

Dude, sequel is already being made. It was greenlit before the first one was even released. Beyond that, Bjorn has stated that ELEX was a very successful game for PB. Of course it should have been more successful for what an excellent game it was, but PB is doing just fine.

ultra loser

Scholar
Wait I thought gaymers love hard games you know like Dark Souls? Elex devs should have went with that le hard game maymay and make it so you have to repeat last half hour of gameplay and kill all enemies again after dying, since reviewers love that stellar game design so much.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Im really liking the voice overs in the game. For a smaller studio like PB they have great actors and the lines are delivered well. Plus the dialogue as usual with PB is well written and down to eartth.

Swigen

Arbiter
Wait I thought gaymers love hard games you know like Dark Souls? Elex devs should have went with that le hard game maymay and make it so you have to repeat last half hour of gameplay and kill all enemies again after dying, since reviewers love that stellar game design so much.

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’ll use ur post for mah drunk rant. ELEX devs don’t have to pander to anyone least of all faggoty clickbait journos whose agenda couldn’t be more transparent. ($$$$) Video games development has reached a level of quality and accessibility akin to books, movies and music to the point where enjoyment is totally subjective and ratings are bullshit. For me albums like Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction and Impaled Nazarene- Manifest are 10 outta 10 “mastapeece” but to the majority, especially cunty journalists, Drake and Kanye West albums are 10 outta 10 mastapeece. It’d be cool if Carcass and Impaled Nazarene were successful enough to make a living off their music but I certainly wouldn’t want them to adopt elements of Drake and Kanye in order to achieve said success.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’ll use ur post for mah drunk rant. ELEX devs don’t have to pander to anyone least of all faggoty clickbait journos whose agenda couldn’t be more transparent. ($$$$) Video games development has reached a level of quality and accessibility akin to books, movies and music to the point where enjoyment is totally subjective and ratings are bullshit. For me albums like Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction and Impaled Nazarene- Manifest are 10 outta 10 “mastapeece” but to the majority, especially cunty journalists, Drake and Kanye West albums are 10 outta 10 mastapeece. It’d be cool if Carcass and Impaled Nazarene were successful enough to make a living off their music but I certainly wouldn’t want them to adopt elements of Drake and Kanye in order to achieve said success.
journalism was a mistake. All journalists are cunts and should be rounded up and gassed. Games journalists get gassed first

Swigen

Arbiter

journalism was a mistake. All journalists are cunts and should be rounded up and gassed. Games journalists get gassed first

Yes! But I think nowadays people are smartening up, especially with the advent of social media, Patreon and Kickstarter where anyone can put their opinion or money out there and it’s more genuine and unbiased than the 5 writers who work for Ziff Davis publishing or IGN amd Gaymspot.

Deleted Member 16721

The difficulty in Dark Souls is also different. You learn patterns and the game promotes the fact you'll die a lot, but when you learn the patterns you succeed. ELEX is a whole different beast, with character skill trumping stick skills or pattern-learning, and gamers just aren't familiar with a game where for the first dozen or two hours you are completely weak and can't fight really anything besides tiny things. They expect an action RPG to be where you can beat a human opponent right away, or don't have to run away from tougher encounters (running away? Psh, what's that?) Totally different ballgame with ELEX.

sullynathan

Arcane
Dark souls is actually good and so is its combat you can't say the same for elex, especially not the combat because piranha can't into combat and have been remaking gothic combat (shit) in all their games

Deleted Member 16721

Dark souls is actually good and so is its combat you can't say the same for elex, especially not the combat because piranha can't into combat and have been remaking gothic combat (shit) in all their games

The combat is good in ELEX but it's not Dark Souls combat and the game is not designed to be played that way. ELEX's combat is quite fun and serves its purpose well. I played as a magic user and really enjoyed it.

GrainWetski

Arcane
If you haven't noticed, only From are allowed to make remotely challenging games according to shitjournos and the retarded sheep that still follow them.

sullynathan

Arcane

The combat is good in ELEX but it's not Dark Souls combat and the game is not designed to be played that way. ELEX's combat is quite fun and serves its purpose well. I played as a magic user and really enjoyed it.
No elex combat isn't good, it's at best tolerable like the gothic games. That's why you learn to ignore it until the game makes you engage in it, not really because it's hard in the beginning hours.

There are many games harder than this shit that are received far better than the mainstream press since their opinion is what we're discussing anyway.

Deleted Member 16721

You don't seem to understand the game either. You don't avoid combat at the start because it sucks, lol. You avoid it because the enemies are all way stronger than you and will eat you alive. Once you get decent gear and skills you can enter combat and enjoy it. Learn the game first before posting about it.

sullynathan

Arcane
You don't seem to understand the game either. You don't avoid combat at the start because it sucks, lol. You avoid it because the enemies are all way stronger than you and will eat you alive. Once you get decent gear and skills you can enter combat and enjoy it. Learn the game first before posting about it.
They're low skilled games, you go and get "good" gear and beat on dumb enemies. This isn't just elex, this is piranha game since gothic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom