Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Swigen

Arbiter
Shitty Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS. I’ve been smoking way too much weed so that game is about all I can handle. I just throw on a movie I seen before, smoke and then I don’t feel like doing ANYTHING so I just grab my DS and grind shitty DQ8 and I get mad ‘cause the graphics are shit, the censorship is shit, characters suck and I smoke some more and pass out.

Real talk: Weed is the devil!!

mck

Cipher
Shitty Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS. I’ve been smoking way too much weed so that game is about all I can handle. I just throw on a movie I seen before, smoke and then I don’t feel like doing ANYTHING so I just grab my DS and grind shitty DQ8 and I get mad ‘cause the graphics are shit, the censorship is shit, characters suck and I smoke some more and pass out.

idk that sounds pretty great to me

Swigen

Arbiter

idk that sounds pretty great to me

It’s not! I have a backlog of amazing games to finish but I don’t wanna get my fat ass out of bed and walk two feet to my computer chair!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed the Festival of Life campaign for HoMM3: Armageddon's Blade.

Overall the most varied and most enjoyable AB campaign so far, but without any great highlights. The first map was the overall most difficult map so far; you start with a small army, there's Hordes of Wolf Raiders everywhere and there is a tight time limit. Usually I complete a map with time limit in about in 1/2 or 2/3 of the time, but this time it was a close shave.
The third map was the most strategic one, and very enjoyable for a symmetrical map.
Fourth map was an anti-climax, since you get too much gold, there's recruitment sites everywhere and a handy Hill Fortress, and with expert Town Portal on three Heroes it's easy to amass a large army very quickly against a too weak enemy.

Kitchen Utensil

KSP. On Xbox (because it actually runs better than on my PC :/).
Pretty good game. Great balance between game and sim.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

flyingjohn

Arcane
Shadow warrior 2,aka how to fuck up a looter shooter.

-Level design is atrocious.
The game has 4 archetypes that repeat through the game with slight variations.And these archetypes are very linear with plenty of invisible walls and pits to stop you from having actual fun.It is not call of duty bad but it doesn't hold a candle to old fps games or even stuff like borderlands.
Any unique locations feels very rushed and is mostly a linear tunnel worse then the archetypes.
I love how a huge mansion is nothing more then a two floor level where most of the content is in the basement and kitchen which are literal corridors.
Oh,and you get to experience all the archetypes only a couple of hours in.

-The loot is just one of the worst implementation of loot in any fps ever.
Instead of having weapons as loot they choose to implement a gem loot system you can socket in your weapon for various bonuses.Some change how weapons work but most of these feel gimmicky as hell(you can shoot 300 percent more quicker, but you also miss 2/3 of your shot,wupiii)This means that you will have a bazillion gems where most of them will be useless and you will have to spend more time changing weapon gems then actually shooting stuff.
I have no idea what they were smoking when they made this choice,choosing weapons is easier and more fun then choosing gems.

The second part of the loot system is actually getting weapons,and they fucked that up as well.
They choose to go with a fixed amount of unique weapons. Unfortunately this means that your progression is slower then a snail.
It never feels like you are getting new weapons at a correct pace which is a bummer.Sometimes enemies can drop weapons but that is rare.
Add to that that 1/3 of the weapons are passive upgrades of your previous weapons with a boring bonus like change enemy to a rabbit chance and things get worse.

-The rpg system makes borderlands feel like a fallout game compared to this joke.
There aren't really builds and most of your upgrades are passive and boring.Borderlands has somewhat interesting skills that change how your character plays and this has nothing like that.
And most of them are garbage like better pickup radius,less punishment for death,a little bit bonus elemental damage,etc.

That pretty much ends the looter shoot part.Now lets talk about the fps parts:

-Feeling of weapons.
Well it could work,if the rpg system didn't fuck it up entirely. Every enemy in the game feels like he takes a lot more punishment then he should.I remember getting a laser gauntlet and requiring more then 5 seconds to kill a basic mook,sigh.
This is made even worse thank to most enemies having a big health bar and having random resistances to fuck you up even more.So let's say you are using your favorite shotgun but the enemy has resistance to the gem you put in it,well have to switch to a new weapon.Oh wait,the enemy behind him is immune to the weapon element you just switched.
I know they were trying to go for the opposite element's that rpg's have,unfortunately those rpg's are not usually action based so it doesn't work here.
Melee weapons feel better but require you to hold a button to charge them else they do pathetic damage.Charging gets boring really quickly.

-Movement.
The only good thing about the game.You have unlimited dash,jump,double jump and can all those in combination to make you quite mobile.No stamina bar is a huge plus.
Unfortunately the level design doesn't fully accommodate your movement skills.Plenty of roofs,and walls that you should be able to jump over or on but simply can't.
What a shame.

-Story
Juvenile shit.It is like a annoying kid discovering dick jokes except these people were paid money for this.Yes game,i get it,wang = dick,hahahaha.
Lo Wang also is a very annoying character.He is obnoxious,has a whiny voice and feels nothing like the original.

-Technical side of things
Not very good.
This game eats ram like candy,4gb for low textures is insane.And unless you have over 2gb of vram don't even bother with high textures.
Also the game crashed multiple times for no reason whatsoever.So i don't think it is stable whosoever.
You could be playing the game fine one moment and then once you return to the map you get random constant crashes.Might be due to my system,but who knows.

In conclusion if you want a looter shooter(i have no idea why would you) play either borderlands or warframe.
If you want a good fps play either the original shadow warrior or its remake if you want something like this but without the rpg elements..

DeepOcean

Arcane
Needed some dumb shooter to kill stuff for an hour after work so I can relax a bit, so, playing Warframe. Warframe is a strange beast of a game, been playing for some time, 20 hours or so accordingly to steam and after those 20 hours, I still feel Im stuck on the tutorial with a single warframe out of fucking 40 or so, to say the pacing of the game is slow is an understatement, Warframe is a game that you grind to actually get the permission to grind some more, can't complain too much, didn't waste a single dollar with it.

So? Is it a good game or a bad game? Well... warframe has procedural generated missions that use a certain base tileset that change based on the planet, well, it has the basic drawbacks and strengths as expected from a procedural generated game, no mission will be the "same" but no mission will be unique handcrafted either, the missions are only there for you to grind resources for you to unlock stuff as there aren't anything beyond resources dropping on each mission. When you start a mission, the game randomly select tileset pieces and assign a generic objective, go there kill that dude, defend that place from waves of enemies but while the game has a big pool of objectives for missions, most boil down to "go there and fetch thing/person" or "stay with your ass here while waves of enemies come."

The trouble is that I can tolerate the fetch quests but the missions where you need to have your ass fixed on a place while hordes of enemies come are just fucking boring to an extreme degree and those missions are practically half the missions on the game, it isn't that horde mode is necessarily bad but the horde mode missions on warframe are half assed to the point of total boredom.

Well, if half the the missions are boring, the missions are procedurally generated affairs with little to no unique thing on missions beyond resource grinding and the character progression occurs on glacial speed if you dont pay, why I keep playing? Because the basic gameplay is fun, Warframe in comparison with other looter shooters like Destiny for example, offers a TON of options for character building and the basic movement of your character is fluid with their claim of you controlling space ninjas not being an exaggeration, you do crazy black flips all over the place, can run on walls pratically everywhere, can fly on strange jet packs, have an hoverboard to fly around and all that stuff.

The major things that almost turned me off from this game ( if it wasn't for the entertaining gameplay) were the complete lack of context for most you do (serious, this game lore wise is confusing as hell because there is no lore for like 90% of the game so you have zero clue to what is happening for most of the game, you only know there are weird people with funny hats to kill and you kill weird people with funny hats, that is it.) and the way missions were designed focusing mostly on procedural content don't make for interesting storytelling, interesting enough, the developers seem to have realized those are big weaknesses as well and are moving away from the basic warframe gameplay formula with the addition of crafted open world areas and story DLC.

I didn't get to the new story handcrafted missions yet or explored the two recently added open world areas, can't comment much on them but from the little I saw, they seem to be focusing alot on actually fleshing out their world more. This is good because Warframe has an unique setting, humans evolved to actually master genetic manipulation and created mechanical/biological hybrids but this eventually lead to humanity's downfall and all factions that survived that downfall are grotesque, heavily metahuman people living on nightmarish societies and all of this with a heavy dose of influence from hindu and japanese culture , unfortunately this was mostly a distant and barely noticeable backdrop before the latest updates.

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Going through my goddamn backlog. It's colossal. It's disgusting! Would probably be best to just write a bunch of this shit off, but I can't. I have to at least make an effort.
First bunch:
DOOM (Had lass than half way to go, had fun!)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Just the final boss left. No idea why I stopped the last time.)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Think the save I used was midway through the game, still took me nearly 3 weeks to finish together with both expansions.)
Batman: Arkham Knight (Started from scratch, took almost two weeks, had a blast, nice send-off.)
Beyond: Two Souls (Old save, about a third through I'd say, wrapped the game up in 3 days. Well, 'game.' Did end up caring about what happened to the girl though, so that's something.)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Started from scratch, took a week. Solid 'GTA-clone.')
Virginia (From scratch, took like an hour, hour and a half though! Hardly a game, but much like with Beyond, I was invested, I cared. Nice music, nice style.)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (Just an easy one to chalk off the list, took a couple hours. Whatever, it's a fighting game. The story was insufferable!)

Second bunch:
What Remains Of Edith Finch (A walking simulator, but it was pretty. I liked it, I cared!)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Had an old save, had like the last hour or two to go.)
Limbo (Cool, spooky platformer)
Mirror's Edge (Had it since forever, took a couple hours to beat, looks good for a 10 year old game!)
Steep (Used to snowboard as a kid in the late 90s and that was the last time I played a snowboarding game too before this one. Was fun for about a week!)
Mass Effect 2 (Man, this one. Sex & violence in space. Goofy to the 10th power! Laughed my ass off several times and I liked it, goddammit!)
Mass Effect 3 (Less entertaining than the previous one, wasn't QUITE as 'out there.' The last third of it really seemed to take forever.)
Scribblenauts Unmasked (Fun puzzle game, though I'm sure it would've been a whole lot more fun if I was a DC fanboy.)
Transformers: Devastation (I'm 2 hours into it now and I like it. Feels nice! Liked the cartoon a bunch as a kid and this definitely feels like the cartoon.)

Third bunch:
Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition (The first game I bought since I really started going after my backlog. Also the game that probably made me swear off buying any kind of DLC for good. Could've taken just the base game for 12,5 bucks, HAD to get the complete one for 25. Quickly came to the realization that I just didn't care enough about the extra crap. And that the days of trying to 100% games are just done! Ended up ignoring pretty much all of the DLC stuff. And after like 15 hours into the game I just tried to get it over with as soon as possible. No chance in Hell I was going to do the 'epilogue' either. Still had fun though!)
Fallout 4 (There's never been a video game that I've hated more than Fallout 3. Seems times have changed because I didn't have much of an issue with Fallout 4. It's not the Fallout I remember, but that's fine, I'm fine with Fallout being dead. Had a lot of fun exploring the wasteland for the 50 hours or so it took me to finish. And playing a chick, a mother, the main questline threw me for a solid spin in the second half of the game.)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Had a huge urge to get Oddyssey on sale. For whatever reason. 'Forced' myself to fire up Syndicate instead. Gotta keep chipping away at that backlog! Anyway, I had fun! Started to get a bit boring after 15 hours or so, this is Assassin's Creed afterall, but I just bulldozed my way through the last couple of chapters and wrapped the whole thing up in about 20 hours.)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (Really like the Shadowrun games, but this thing was just a slog. Didn't even bother with the side-missions, just wanted to wrap it up ASAP and did.)

Latest bunch:
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (I really liked the first one, put 600+ hours into it even! Across 2-3 completed playthroughs and several aborted ones. Won't be doing that with PoE2 but I did have a lot of fun with it for the 60-70 hours it took me to get through it.)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Second game I bought since I started attacking my backlog. And I couldn't get enough of this one! Clocked in around 85 hours as the broad Kassandra, ultimately forced myself to just stick to the main missions towards the end and wrap it up 'early.' Probably could've gone 100+ hours otherwise. GOTY 2018! Then again I only played two other games released in 2018, PoE2 and Battletech. Unexpected! Had an inkling I was going to like this one, didn't think it'd be that much. Curse you, Ubisoft!)

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (I recall really loving this one back in the day. It definitely doesn't have the same impact nowadays! Shit didn't age too well. Shudder to think how I'd feel playing AoE 1 now, or even crap like WarCraft 1/2 or C&C! Loved those games as a kid, really glad I don't own any of them now, glad I don't have to play them now. Still, AoM was OK, got through the main campaign fine, there was no chance in hell I was going to do the expansion stuff.)

The Room Two (A pretty simple puzzle game, something different for me, was OK for the two hours it took me to beat it.)

The Cave (Kinda funny puzzle platformer from Ron Gilbert. Pretty easy, a bit clunky, but I didn't mind dragging three people through it.)

Games are fun! Still a long ways away from doing any kind of serious damage to my backlog. Now what? Maybe Shadow Tactics, I'll give that one a shot.

RapineDel

Augur
Been playing some more P&C games by Sierra in between a replay of Thief Gold and Wizardry 8.

Broken Sword 3 - I'm on Windows 10 so the hardest part of this game was just getting it running, I had the GOG version which of course doesn't work at all as it gives you an insert disc area, the solution to this is you need to have any game at all (in this case I chose a Dark Souls ISO) mounted to a disk drive and then it magically works, bizarre!

Now the game itself, I thought the actual story and structure of the game was absolutely brilliant. It plays out like a murder mystery where everyone is in the one location and as the game progresses over 3 days in what feels like real time (after you complete certain activities the game will progress from 10am to 3pm, 6pm etc.), it feels very alive. You'll solve typical Sierra puzzles but also do a lot of detective work using an in game computer, following people and copying number plates/taking finger prints so you can tie evidence to people in a manner that feels pretty realistic rather then gamey. There is THAT puzzle which I had to look up, the awful disguise puzzle where you have to pretend to be Mosley, a puzzle in itself that doesn't sound that bad on paper... until you need to draw a mustache onto Mosley's ID AND put on a fake one yourself despite the real Mosley not even having a ******** mustache! That aside, the game has some amazing puzzles particularly involving the detective work on the computer.

Some of the voice acting was a little ordinary. I was excited to be able to hear Tim Curry as Gabriel again as I found him to be excellent in 1, but his performance feels half assed in this and he ranges from pretty good to very quickly sounding like someone with down syndrome putting on a southern accent. It's a shame as combined with the terrible 3d graphics it does let down the presentation somewhat. However the music is absolutely top notch. The excellent "Gabriel's Bookstore" theme is back (one of the best tracks in any adventure game) along with some great new tracks from the same composer. One in particular, Grace's theme in the hotel room is one I've been popping on YouTube even after finishing it.

All in all it's a pretty good game. Given I'm on Windows 10 as I mentioned, the game would also have a 50-50 chance of crashing anytime I left a screen so the fact I pushed on to finish it should tell you it's not too bad at all.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just finished The Hex. It is a glorified walking simulator with some minigames where you cannot really lose thrown in. The story's something meta about the game's industry, taking shots at studios, developers, and gamers alike. It has some meta-puzzles spread over several episodes that require time investment or a guide to find, so you'll skip them on your first (and probably only) run. The game's good for videogame writing standards, funny where it has to be, creepy when it wants to.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
europe-satirical-map.jpg

Map on the right is the perfect representation of my current CIV session, with my being Germany/Austria desperately kicking away warmongering neighbours.

Around 1300 AD when I noticed that some AIs have started running away with the game on the score ladder (but still had chariots vs my musketeers), I declared war on civ #1, which was Khmer, to my east.

This war lasted approximately 550 years, and as a result I capped three of his cities, razed another three.

Of course in the meantime the Khmer called a bunch of my neighbours to help, which resulted in a short-lived conflict against Lmao Dadong (no actual common borders, but close by) and Pacal II (north) - though outnumbered, my technological superiority in warfare proved to be the deciding factor (cannons vs trebuchets, grenadiers vs macemen). Pacal would declare war twice more in the coming years, and would lose two cities.

In the meantime Lmao conquered Rome and made Augustus (my west neighbour) his vassal. 3 or so turns later they both declared war on me. It was roughly at that time when I finally called for a ceasefire with the Khmer because I couldn't be bothered to massacre them more and stretch my forces west to east. Fortunately at this point it was infantry vs cuirassiers... and horse archers... in 1864 AD. I think my war with the Khmer turned the entire world retarded considering Gilgamesh still had a warrior running around exploring at this time. I think he has them still in fact.

Out of all the civs I only never waged war with Asoka (north neighbour, with whom I had friendly relations all the time) and Gilgamesh (faraway, no borders, no problems). Eventually I knocked out Augustus, who had only 3 cities. Wanted to continue murdering Lmao and take over Rome, but meanwhile Pacal declared war yet again, so I had to cease fire - especially since Lmao upgraded to infantry overnight, so the scales got a bit better balanced.

In the middle of razing Mayan cities, I see that the Khmer, who have somehow despite losing 6 big cities, including the capital, managed to climb back to the first place in the ladder, have vassalised that idiot Asoka. Knowing full well what that meant, I started mass producing tanks and tactical nukes everywhere.

It is now roughly 1950 AD. I knocked out the Mayan capital, captured one more city, razed another, am about to cap yet one more. Obviously the Khmer have declared war, taking Asoka with them.

The only civ that Trump, the emperor of France, has never waged war against is Gilgamesh. I get -5 to happiness in all cities because "the world thinks I'm a villain". Over the last 650 years I've had only 30 years of peace. Yet I swear on me mom I dindu nuffin and this is all just self-defence.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only civ that Trump, the emperor of France, has never waged war against is Gilgamesh.

This fucker ended up getting a cultural victory because I was so busy smashing the constantly swarming vultures that I didn't even notice his culture farming.

:rage:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider including the Baba Yaga dlc,it's very similar to the previous game of the series the 2013 reboot with some improvements,more and better optional tombs,less QTEs and a different setting.Not bad,nothing great but I enjoyed it for the most part,it's still a modern action game so if you didn't like the previous game I doubt you will like this one,still recommended in a sale if you are looking for an action game.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Just finished The Hex. It is a glorified walking simulator with some minigames where you cannot really lose thrown in. The story's something meta about the game's industry, taking shots at studios, developers, and gamers alike. It has some meta-puzzles spread over several episodes that require time investment or a guide to find, so you'll skip them on your first (and probably only) run. The game's good for videogame writing standards, funny where it has to be, creepy when it wants to.

I can't say if you liked the game or not, probably not so much, but I found it excellent. Pony Island was great too and it's from the same developer. The game definitely is not a walking sim, it has genuine and very clever gameplay, although easy to be honest. It's also a commentary on the industry, but there is a story which is very interesting and moody, even if one ignores the meta stuff. Also, it's funny how a 6 hour game creates characters with personality unlike other lengthy AAA games. I wish more people play The Hex, without having anything similar structure-wise, it captures the magic of 90s adventure games for me as a whole.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Started Fallout New Vegas again despite wasting enough time to get all achievements. Why? To play other DLCs again, played them only once and forgot what are they about. Except Honest Heart, played that one almost each playthrough.

Swigen

Arbiter
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk. I dunno why the hell I bought this, I own waaaay too many of these Jap drpgs and I never finish ‘em. Anyway, games pretty fun 10 outta 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom