Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The great evil of Victim shaming / blaming

There's nothing you can do to avoid that, you can't take cover (that actually allows you to still see the enemy), you can't fight defensively, you don't get any defensive bonuses from having a solid shield wall. All you can do is having buffs out the ass at any time, as many as your level allows for.

Problem is not exactly here. In BG you can very easy have from -1 to -6 AC to every of your fighters almost from the beginning of the game.

It's been a while since I've played BG but I think that kind of AC would require having full plate on them. Not available early game unless some kind of meta game exploit. Also probably (tower) shield which due to the fact that you can't switch between shield and ranged weapons meant it's a hugely undesirable option given the amount of trash mobs which are prime auto attack targets.

Having two fighters charge in with shields and one-handed weapons, who delivers damage on the low levels when you almost can't hit shit? Thieves with shortbows? Your level 2 mages with magic missile? You can do some CC in every mob encounter but that again means you'll have to rest spam.

Slings, son, slings. Receives strength bonus to damage.

mondblut

Arcane
This isn't exactly new. Back in the 80's and 90's Sierra's everyone's unofficial motto was "save early, save often", and unpredictable instant deaths that forced a reload was pretty much a feature of their classic adventure games.

Fixed for truth.

Anyway, the OP is insecure. Why care about difficultyfags e-peen projections? They are still struggling with the tutorial when you have already finished a shit game and moved to another one, so who is the loser?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
There's nothing you can do to avoid that, you can't take cover (that actually allows you to still see the enemy), you can't fight defensively, you don't get any defensive bonuses from having a solid shield wall. All you can do is having buffs out the ass at any time, as many as your level allows for.

Problem is not exactly here. In BG you can very easy have from -1 to -6 AC to every of your fighters almost from the beginning of the game.

It's been a while since I've played BG but I think that kind of AC would require having full plate on them. Not available early game unless some kind of meta game exploit. Also probably (tower) shield which due to the fact that you can't switch between shield and ranged weapons meant it's a hugely undesirable option given the amount of trash mobs which are prime auto attack targets.

Having two fighters charge in with shields and one-handed weapons, who delivers damage on the low levels when you almost can't hit shit? Thieves with shortbows? Your level 2 mages with magic missile? You can do some CC in every mob encounter but that again means you'll have to rest spam.

Slings, son, slings. Receives strength bonus to damage.

So rest spam isn't a thing because slings. Gotcha :lol: (btw not knowing D&D you'd probably not assume strength increases sling damage - it's not a fucking throwing axe)

The point isn't even if you can play/ win the game without rest spam, maybe you missed that. The point is that rest spam is an absolutely fine way for people to play that game - you very early on get cues that missile weapons (and I mean bows) are great due to their increased rate of fire coupled with generally low to hit chance in the early levels, that you can't switch between those bows and a shield so you had better just pluck at enemies from afar, especially because mages are the real danger throughout BG, and that if you couple that with a few CC spells like Sleep you win. If you got hurt or run out of spells, rest. Oh yeah, there are random enemy spawns if you rest outside - but then that's where savescumming comes in :lol:

Save scumming again being cued to the player exactly because a mob spawning on low level dudes during resting is lethal (compare this to Kingmaker - rest ambushes can be annoying but are very manageable if you take precautions), but also because a single mage spell can wipe the PC on a failed saving throw (very likely), crit hit instakills etc.

Doing what you say you've done is exactly what I was talking about before, people can go out of their way to avoid rest spam and save scumming if they feel like it. It's just not very efficient because it's not the mindset with which the game was designed.

mondblut

Arcane
saving periodically as you progress through the game or even after every battle isn't save scumming, it's common sense.

Filthy casual. If your got killed or the game crashed, you are clearly not meant to play it, so move over to the next one.

Remember the legend of the great hero Testicules? Yeah, me neither, because he was charged with killing the Nemean Lion long before Hercules, but got pwned early on by nemean advanced direkittens. He was just not meant to win, and neither are you!

People today are too entitled and think everyone can be a hero, pah!

Deleted Member 16721

Kingmaker is pretty much perfect in this regard, which is why it's already one of the greatest CRPGs of all-time. You can rest when you want, decide to hunt or use rations to save time, but certain things are timed and you have to get a move on or else you risk losing your barony in some disastrous way. You can buy as many rations as you want, but generally you play the game by not spamming rest or spamming spells every encounter. You can go a few or several encounters without resting and it's perfect. When you need a rest, take one. Finally, it's okay to save after every battle if they're really tough. I mean why not? You don't want to lose progress unless the game offers a one-save Ironman Mode and you're playing it. But otherwise, save away, and good luck rest spamming if that's your thing because you'll eventually run out of time and your kingdom will burn, baby, burn. :)

As someone who doesn't have a lot of tolerance for bad game design or patience overall, save scumming is a modulation valve that I use to get through tedious, repetitive or just otherwise bad content.

The alternative in those instances is not to push through without "save scum", it's usually to quit the game and not come back. So they should consider themselves lucky

Codex Year of the Donut
(btw not knowing D&D you'd probably not assume strength increases sling damage - it's not a fucking throwing axe)
Seems logical to me. If anything, I'd assume it would increase it more than the throwing axe.

People underestimate how bad a simple stone can fuck you up imo

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
(btw not knowing D&D you'd probably not assume strength increases sling damage - it's not a fucking throwing axe)
Seems logical to me. If anything, I'd assume it would increase it more than the throwing axe.

People underestimate how bad a simple stone can fuck you up imo

cue that video where some douche tricks guys into swining a sling as hard as they can and they get fucking carried off

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm waiting for the game where they actually make injuries permanent, and relate them to why you got them e.g. you didn't solve a puzzle fast enough so suffer a penalty to INT. It happens too much and you eventually become a Fallout 1 inspired retard.
Yes I know it wouldn't be practical, but it would be fun. Have it as a difficulty setting.

Angthoron

Arcane
Anyone that shames rest-spammers for IE games should read the official books. It's part of the lore.

They rested and healed 8 hours.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm waiting for the game where they actually make injuries permanent, and relate them to why you got them e.g. you didn't solve a puzzle fast enough so suffer a penalty to INT. It happens too much and you eventually become a Fallout 1 inspired retard.
Yes I know it wouldn't be practical, but it would be fun. Have it as a difficulty setting.
Hard West tried to do something like this. You could get injured which would give you a penalty to certain stats for the next 2 combat event. After that the injury would heal and turn into a boost instead. This made it beneficial to game this mechanic and you would end up with an unstoppable killing machine. Unfortunately character progression wasn't saved inbetween the different scenarios, which are all fairly short, so all this was null and void in the end.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Hard West tried to do something like this. You could get injured which would give you a penalty to certain stats for the next 2 combat event. After that the injury would heal and turn into a boost instead. This made it beneficial to game this mechanic and you would end up with an unstoppable killing machine. Unfortunately character progression wasn't saved inbetween the different scenarios, which are all fairly short, so all this was null and void in the end.

I need to get around to playing that. Your post has put me off a bit though, if I had a top ten list of things I hate in an RPG; lack of continuity would be in the top 5.

Watser

Arcane

I need to get around to playing that. Your post has put me off a bit though, if I had a top ten list of things I hate in an RPG; lack of continuity would be in the top 5.
It's also one of the major criticisms people has had regarding the game (as well as the luck system, but that's a question whether you are in the RNG or the deterministic bandcamp). I had a ton of fun with the game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

It's also one of the major criticisms people has had regarding the game (as well as the luck system, but that's a question whether you are in the RNG or the deterministic bandcamp). I had a ton of fun with the game.

Thanks, I still intent to give it a go - the setting hasn't been give the attention it deserves IMO.

Watser

Arcane

Thanks, I still intent to give it a go - the setting hasn't been give the attention it deserves IMO.
Ludo Lens made a great review some years ago in case you haven't read it https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10174
You should definitely give the game a spin and the DLC is also pretty good.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
aab837951a1ff0bbe519991370923c7c.jpg

ccdb451fae3c2f48f3b8a5106aec8e76.jpg

8be73cbecb6ea54ee2a1103d37d8d779.jpg

th

If you don't make fatal errors you'll miss out on all the awesome death content... fuckin' non-completionists suck...

If reloading repeatedly confers a significant advantage then it's indicative of incompetent design and the developer is to blame, not the player. If reloading repeatedly confers only a minor advantage (ie, slightly better outcome) then who gives a shit? The only time I can see reloading being worthy of derision is if it's used over long periods of gameplay so that if you decide you've made several poor decisions and want to reverse them all, you can, instead of living with the consequences of your choice. But "save scumming" tends to refer to people saving often and reloading for a single encounter/event repeatedly and it's almost always because some lazy developer decided to just randomize an important outcome.

Beastro

Arcane
saving periodically as you progress through the game or even after every battle isn't save scumming, it's common sense.

yeah I save a lot, with every step I make. it is almost compulsive obsessive kind of thing. And I name saves something like ffgfd or fddss, totally meaningless.

Ass
Bss
Css
Dss
Ess
Fss
Gss
Hss
Iss
Jss
Kss
Lss
Mss
Nss
Oss
Pss
Qss
Rss
Sss
Tss
Uss
Vss
Wss
Xss
Yss
Zss
Ass2....

I've had games fuck on up or crash on me too many times to kick the habit.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
No one wants to "rest-spam" a game where the game provides a mechanics to actually make resting a choice (timed quests, resting resource with weight or cost).
I completely agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom