Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Brutal Doom 64 was the first time playing "old" Doom, since I played the original Doom back in the early 90's, and I absolutely loved it. Got wind of it after Doom 2016 came out, and it's been a slow descent into the Doom mod rabbit hole ever since.

index.php

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what do people here think of the various ports of Doom 64? I have been downloading a couple; Doom 64 EX which converts the N64 into a wad (I think), Doom 64 Retribution (Doom 64 recreated to run on Gzdoom), Doom 64 for Doom 2 (Doom 64 recreated with Doom 2 assets), and Brutal Doom 64.

Got to be honest, I have been playing Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 of Ultimate Doom (I have not that game in almost eighteen years) before trying any D64 port and I rather enjoy Ultimate Doom more even if the later looks better.
Doom 64 EX is the most authentic experience.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
That Doom 64 EX mod was brilliant, and I was about 25% into it and enjoying myself immensely with the full intention of completing it until I realized that the difficulty level I selected was not conducive to winning with anyone but the best FPS twitch players. Hey, I figured before starting, "Christ, this must be designed so that even a complete mental defective can finish it with little or no difficulty! I mean, it was originally for the N64, FFS! How hard can it be? I'm gonna pick "Nightmare for Your Nuts!" mode or whatever it's called and fucking ace it!." Baaaaaad idea. It hurt like hell to have to abandon this otherwise great WAD, but I learned an important lesson - when playing user-made WADS always select lower difficulty levels unless you're a Doom-beast with these things.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
WolfenDOOM: Blade of Agony v2 ✠ Intro & Briefing

Any new episodes or just a refining of the existing ones? Always wanted to play this since the author made some of my absolute favorite wads but it always seemed too slick to enjoy and it perhaps owed too much to that wacky dude who used to make youtube videos of him playing all the parts (both male and female) in his plays he wrote and who authored a slew of well-regarded Wolfenstein wads years ago. I'm sure I should change that way of thinking.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bloom - Doom/Blood crossover demo is out

I finished it, and it's really a short but cleverly done map merging first map of Doom 2 and Blood with some new additions. The gunplay feels good, although dynamite feels weak compared to the original Blood. It's probably due to the engine switch, but maybe it will change in the final release. Flare gun works nicely in comparison, even on Doom bestiary. The enemy mixing is really cool and actually works, but you need to be careful to not overdone it. It's hard to judge right now, but hopefully the author - drugod will continue working on it. You can really feel that it was by someone who likes and understands both games before making this and adding it to lolwhacky addons sections just to be forgotten later on.

dosbox2019-01-1318-428jk7r.jpg

dosbox2019-01-1318-36t8kuj.jpg

dosbox2019-01-1318-36p1kbz.jpg

dosbox2019-01-1318-451sk02.jpg

dosbox2019-01-1318-4613kkx.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
WolfenDOOM: Blade of Agony v2 ✠ Intro & Briefing

Any new episodes or just a refining of the existing ones? Always wanted to play this since the author made some of my absolute favorite wads but it always seemed too slick to enjoy and it perhaps owed too much to that wacky dude who used to make youtube videos of him playing all the parts (both male and female) in his plays he wrote and who authored a slew of well-regarded Wolfenstein wads years ago. I'm sure I should change that way of thinking.

its a version 2, an updated wad, he added alot of extra stuff and refined some maps, from what i gathered.

Astral Rag

Arcane
For those of you who own a "Roomba 980":

DOOMBA

Noesis now includes a Roomba script. It will track your Roomba, store tracking data, allow you to visualize that data in a variety of ways, and, of course, turn that data into a randomized DOOM map.

It would've been nice to get this done in time for DOOM's 25th anniversary, but as it came and went, I was still waiting to grab a Roomba 980 on eBay. I had the idea sometime back in November, as my wife and I were researching robot vacuums. I discovered that the newer Roombas are making use of a pretty respectable SLAM implementation, which led to wondering about what kind of data I could get out of it and what I could do with that data.

I soon realized that there was a clear opportunity to serve the Dark Lord by conceiving a plethora of unholy algorithms in service to one of the finest works ever created in his name. Simultaneously, I would be able to unleash a truly terrible pun to plague humankind. Now, the fruit of my labor is born. I bring forth DOOMBA, a half-goat, half-script creature, with native binary backing for the expensive parts, to be offered in place of my firstborn on this fine Christmas Eve

doombaprocess.png

:lol:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Back to Saturn X Episode 3:
Instructions to the Rusty Time Machine

twb08x8.png

I Can't Believe It's Not Vaporware!

This work-in-progress third installment in the Back to Saturn X series (a vanilla-compatible hyper-megawad, for those not in the know) takes place not on the titular Saturn X, but on the other side of a portal that leads... Somewhere Else.

What horrors await? Take a peek beyond the veil...

zOTmehj.png

BTSX E3: Coming Soon to a fast-food restaurant greasy diner near you!

:incline:

Astral Rag

Arcane
They are very dope, among the dopest of the modern Doom wads in fact. Both episodes are extremely beautiful and well thought out but some of the levels are too slaughtery for me and therefore I find the wads to be more enjoyable on HMP, which is still very challenging.

I really like the look of the new HUD and thanks to the wonders of modding a similar one can be used with other wads:
B585902B0E18044AF34C10E02B550B5DBE859D05
7235B792DBA015FF853A137EE2B44BFFEDD35F24

^I like it so much I even use it with BTSX

FilthySardonicGenet-size_restricted.gif

Another mod I like to use when I'm not playing with The Violence Weapons mod I mentioned earlier is the Improved Kristian's Smooth Weapon Animations mod.

You can use this mod with BTSX but you'll need another version of the file, check here for the download link and more BTSX mods.

edit:
That Smooth Fluids mod looks funky, I'll have to try it one of these days:

The lava reminds me of Dungeon Keeper

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Astral Rag
I saw your Doom screenshots in Screenshots Thread, recognize HUD from Alien Vendetta but not weapon pack. I know it was used in other weapons packs or megamods, that's it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
MotherMachinae, I extracted those from a nice little wad called Violence. I don't know if the author of that wad created the weapons himself or if he took them from somewhere else. I had and still have never seen them elsewhere.

They don't change the gameplay in any way.

I uploaded the mod here.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IF THERE WAS A LITTLW BLONDE HAIR BLUE EYED BABY JESUS WATCHING OVER US HE WOULD RIGHT AFTER HE FINISHED GRIMOIRE REWARD EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES SHIT TO THIS THREAD

THANKS FOR THE DOOM NEWS BROS

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I decided to give the "Sunder" wad a chance.

No. Just no. When the first monster you encounter is an Arch-Vile you know you're gonna have a bad time. It doesn't get better from there on.

The wad's only saving grace is the architecture, which is pretty cool at times. But playing this is an absolute bitch. It's carefully designed to be as annoying as possible without directly trolling the player.

Endless backtracking.
Endless monster closets.
Far too numerous arenas.
Every arena being locked by a series of buttons, scattered as far apart from each other as possible.

Every damn level is like this. This is not fun at all.

Sjukob

Arcane
Haven't checked zdoom forums in a while, turns out there is a rebalance mod for guncaster that was released more than half a year ago. CLICK

It still gets updated and is under active development. Author aimed to make it harder to play and get rid of power fantasy playstyle. A good number of OP stuff (spells, upgrades) was removed entirely, enemies got replaced with deadlier versions featuring new attacks and better ai, player's damage was nerfed, ammo pool decreased etc. There are also some new things to play with like: draugh tome and suit, stg-44, barrels throwing, some new melee attacks and may be something else I didn't notice or don't know about, I have barely touched the original guncaster.

I've tried running it with btsx (might actually try and finish this borefest for once) and it's pretty good, now it actually plays like a proper mod, you can get wrecked and fighting back requires effort, it doesn't take away the felling of beeing a total badass, so the main idea of the original remains preserved. I only really disliked some gore that was taken from brutal doom and certain effects are way too heavy on particles. Luckily there are a lot of in-game setting (three motherfucking pages) where you can toggle on/off almost all of the cosmetic stuff or fuck around with gameplay (like increase or decrease damage taken/received or disable hitscanning enemies completely). Also supports heretic.

Try giving it a go.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
A good number of OP stuff (spells, upgrades) was removed entirely
Not that much actually, and I would still prefer them to be rebalanced.

now it actually plays like a proper mod, you can get wrecked and fighting back requires effort, it doesn't take away the felling of beeing a total badass, so the main idea of the original remains preserved.
QFE.

This.
This is how you should do cathartic boomfest: you simultaneously feel like complete, over the top badass, and yet it's actually hard to survive.

Also supports heretic.
Also supports Hexen, both Dooms and Strife (with custom dialogue included).
When run with Doom 2 it also includes modified version of Hell on Earth Starter Pack.

Sjukob

Arcane
Also supports Hexen, both Dooms and Strife (with custom dialogue included).
When run with Doom 2 it also includes modified version of Hell on Earth Starter Pack.
Yeah, I've read about it. But Hexen and Strife do not have custom monsters, so the mode kind of loses it's purpose.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom