Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If it's genuine bullet sponges that's a shame. That said I don't remember many zombies going down in one or two shots, I remember the ones where you'd shoot them a few times, they'd fall down and then get back up again and it would take at least another shot or two again.

This seems not to be the case although... In the demo I managed to kill the first zombies with 3 shots. Still it feels like a generic shooter.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"Resident Evil 2 Remake Does A Great Job Of Showing Why Default White Male Character Needs To Go Away: Here Are 10 Reasons Why Marvin Should've Been The More Interesting PoC Protagonist"

Generic-Giant-Spider

Settle this 18 year old feud:

In the opening FMV for the original RE2, did the trucker say "WHY'D HE BITE ME" or "WHERE'D HE BITE ME" ?

Fifty bucks and a can of creamed corn rides on this.

original RE2 was chock full of ammunition. There were literally hundreds of pistol rounds lying everywhere.

Maybe memory fails me, but I think it depends also on the scenario/difficulty you choose.

No, I replayed A/B scenarios sometime during the last year on normal (played the GC version, nightmare/expert is only on the dreamcast and PC version apparently). Unless you have horrible aim or not using weapons optimally (for example, not using frag grenades as Claire against groups of 4 or more zombies) you are swimming in ammo after the first quarter or 1/3 of the game while killing everything in your path. Ammo is only a problem at the very beginning before you loot enough in the police station.

Now RE3 hard while killing Nemesis every time for the loot (the way to play the game IMO, just don't use the infinite ammo box which it gets you at the end, then it becomes easy mode), that definitely has ammo scarcity from what I remember. Also REmake. But RE2 just showers you with ammo across the whole game.
In RE2 you might run hit a dry spot of pistol ammo, but at that point in the game you can just switch to your other guns since the only time that you shouldn't use your pistol is boss fights and lickers.

In RE3 there's plenty of hand gun ammo, you just need to search the corpses in the CGI backround. You'll usually find a pack of 30 bullets. With the eagle pistol fighting zombies becomes a breeze, you can even go toe to toe with the hunters with it. That's not even going into powder mixing which you get more ammo each time you mix.
Settle this 18 year old feud:

In the opening FMV for the original RE2, did the trucker say "WHY'D HE BITE ME" or "WHERE'D HE BITE ME" ?

Fifty bucks and a can of creamed corn rides on this.
Former, think about it. Why would he ask where he was bitten when it's clear he was bit on the arm?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
original RE2 was chock full of ammunition. There were literally hundreds of pistol rounds lying everywhere.

Maybe memory fails me, but I think it depends also on the scenario/difficulty you choose.

No, I replayed A/B scenarios sometime during the last year on normal (played the GC version, nightmare/expert is only on the dreamcast and PC version apparently). Unless you have horrible aim or not using weapons optimally (for example, not using frag grenades as Claire against groups of 4 or more zombies) you are swimming in ammo after the first quarter or 1/3 of the game while killing everything in your path. Ammo is only a problem at the very beginning before you loot enough in the police station.

Now RE3 hard while killing Nemesis every time for the loot (the way to play the game IMO, just don't use the infinite ammo box which it gets you at the end, then it becomes easy mode), that definitely has ammo scarcity from what I remember. Also REmake. But RE2 just showers you with ammo across the whole game.

Yeah you can easily end Leon B with 60+ magnum rounds and 100+ shotgun shells. Leon A has slightly less, but you still end up with a large surplus.

Same with equivalents in Claire scenarios.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
re4 had more "survival horror" design left in it than re6 did, though. re6 had more standardized "shooter game" action design than re4 ever did, so I can absolutely see someone who enjoys nuRE style (third-person view, free aim, etc) and likes re4 but dislikes re6; i find that completely valid viewpoint because i found re6, while superficially similar to re4, to be different enough in its granular design to support the view.

Viata

Arcane
re4 had more "survival horror" design left in it than re6 did
And where did I imply RE6 had any survivor horror element on it? Wunderbar said that 4 is the best actionay RE game when in fact RE6 has more action in it than RE4. Had he said the same as you, that RE4 has the best action WITH some survival horror element, then I'd not say anything. But that is not what he said and I'm just saying that by that point, being only actiony RE game, 6 is by far the best one in this sense. RE4, for me, has 0 survivor horror element and if anything, Leon part of 6 has more survivor horror than RE4, which is not that much, btw.
Then again, RE4 is probably the FFVII of RE, the EVA of Capcom, it's always a waste of time to discuss about it against people that love it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Wunderbar said that 4 is the best actionay RE game when in fact RE6 has more action in it than RE4.
Well, i mean Die Hard has less action in it than Michael Bay's Transformers.
RE6 action is a shitty action. Shitty hit detection, shitty gunplay, shitty balance, shitty bulletspongy and unresponsive enemies, shitty camera with low fov, shitty level design which doesn't allow you to make a use of your large arsenal of different moves.
The only moderately fun part of RE6 is mercenaries mode, where you aren't trapped in a small hallway and at least can dodge somewhere instead of into a wall.

sullynathan

Arcane
In the original RE2 (also re1 and its remake) you need only 1-3 shoots to kill a zombie, and still you need to do a lot of resource management. In the RE2 remake it's more like the classic bullet sponge usually found in mediocre shooters
Lying isn't good kiddo
what are they like? is 4 worth playing too? what about 6? i heard 6 is the crappiest of them all. i will probably skip 5 too. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 0 - 7?
Everyone knows RE4 is the best RE, but you usually don't want to start a series with the 4th game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm more worried by how plentiful ammo happens to be, going hand-in-hand with zombies soaking more bullets... which was in turn probably implemented because you have way more control over your accuracy now with the switch to OTS perspective and probably taking into account "panic shooting" some people may go through. My run through the demo took me ~20 minutes and I had 50+ handgun bullets in addition to some shotgun shells by the end. That's without exploring extensively AND missing some obvious caches you'd probably find if you actually explored even remotely seriously, like in one of the alcoves in the Entrance Hall. Keep in mind I also knifed only one enemy.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
cool. Thanks. They are all on pc right?

No. RE2 (original) and RE3 aren't available on Steam. They did have PC ports way back in the day for Windows 95/98 but they were terrible.

You'll want to play the Nintendo Gamecube versions via emulator.

Also, RE Code Veronica was never released on PC in any form. You can play it on PS3 if you have one or use an emulator for the PS2 or Gamecube version.
There's also an X360 version.

And regarding RE2 when it comes to ammo and killing things, I remember being able to kill most if not everything in the game.

Viata

Arcane
Tbh, I can't remember if you were able to kill everything in RE2. Since I've been thinking in replaying RE2, I could try it. Any scenario or character is valid for that?

Swigen

Arbiter
Code Veronica X is on sale on PS4 right now for like $9 or $7 if you have ps+ account.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You can kill pretty much everything in RE2 and have ammo to spare if you play skillfully and don't miss your shots or otherwise waste your ammunition.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
i played the demo and i loved it. never played RE games before this.
i actually played one RE 5 in my friends xbox some years ago, but RE 2 demo is alot different. it's really more of an adventuer game with inventory and puzzles and shit instead of RE 5 which is just a TPS spolsion popamole.
playing on steam. i see RE 0 HD, RE 1 remake? . which one do i start with ?
both Re1 remake and rezero are vastly different to RE2 demo.
But if you want to start the series anyway, start with RE remake. Despite being a prequel, RE Zero spoils some of the story parts from the other games.
what are they like? is 4 worth playing too? what about 6? i heard 6 is the crappiest of them all. i will probably skip 5 too. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 0 - 7?
6 is gud and probably my favorite among nu-Biohazard games.
5 is mediocre, 4 is alright.

garren

Arcane
Patron
You can kill pretty much everything in RE2 and have ammo to spare if you play skillfully and don't miss your shots or otherwise waste your ammunition.
Except the zombies right outside when you start the game? There's so many and you don't have the resources yet to deal with them. Unless you return to the streets later, if you can do that, haven't tried that as there's no point really.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There's a fan-patch for the Windows version port of Resident Evil 2 that translates the game into English and fixes everything that was wrong with the port originally: it fixes and introduces all types of resolutions, fixes the frame-buffer effects, fixes the compression on the backgrounds, etc.

It's the definitive way to play the original RE2 in high-resolution now, as the ports of RE2 for later systems feature varying degrees of quality in terms of char-models, backgrounds and even color grading and color temperatures, as well as fucked-up/messed with cutscenes in regards to bitrates. The (fan-patched and fixed) RE2 Windows port is the best now because it is a direct 1:1 of the original PS1 game except with uncompressed backgrounds and high-resolution char-models and high-bitrate CG scenes.

Optionally, of course, as some people prefer raw pixels.

EDIT: There's a similar fan-patch/fix being worked on for the PC port of RE3 as well but I haven't bothered checking that one out as I have no interest in RE3. Don't know if it's by the same guy who fixed RE2 for PC, or if it's simply someone "inspired" by his work and who wants to fix the PC port of RE3.

Note, however, that unlike t he RE2 PC port, the RE3 port is perfectly playable from what I read. It didn't release with any glaring issues or fucked up effects.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I don't think there was a game in the series that couldn't be finished quite comfortably with ammunition to spare. Survival horror indeed! There was no significant downside to cleansing an area until the first Resident Evil remake in which some of the slain zombies would return as more powerful Crimson Heads, which went some way to encouraging the avoidance of combat altogether, or getting up close and personal with the knife.

Viata

Arcane
There's a fan-patch for the Windows version port of Resident Evil 2 that translates the game into English and fixes everything that was wrong with the port originally: it fixes and introduces all types of resolutions, fixes the frame-buffer effects, fixes the compression on the backgrounds, etc.

It's the definitive way to play the original RE2 in high-resolution now, as the ports of RE2 for later systems feature varying degrees of quality in terms of char-models, backgrounds and even color grading and color temperatures, as well as fucked-up/messed with cutscenes in regards to bitrates. The (fan-patched and fixed) RE2 Windows port is the best now because it is a direct 1:1 of the original PS1 game except with uncompressed backgrounds and high-resolution char-models and high-bitrate CG scenes.

Optionally, of course, as some people prefer raw pixels.

EDIT: There's a similar fan-patch/fix being worked on for the PC port of RE3 as well but I haven't bothered checking that one out as I have no interest in RE3. Don't know if it's by the same guy who fixed RE2 for PC, or if it's simply someone "inspired" by his work and who wants to fix the PC port of RE3.

Note, however, that unlike t he RE2 PC port, the RE3 port is perfectly playable from what I read. It didn't release with any glaring issues or fucked up effects.
Or one could just play the PS1 version of RE2 on an emulator. That works pretty well, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom