Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Mortmal

Arcane
also what stops me from creating 1000 alts and voting pillars 2 goty mister op?
Ip adress, wich you can change easily. And not put exact same votes on the form.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not a very fruitful year for me:
Call of Cthulhu - 2/4
Insomnia - 2/4
WH40K Mechanicus - 3/4

Though I finished Trails in the Sky trilogy.
:dealwithit:

V_K

Arcane
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.
How many games played by nobody?

Arthandas

Liturgist
How is that surprising, did you see those titles?! Like, how starved do you need to be to play that shit.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
because it's just as I've said: all the new games are just copying old games and they're not even doing a very good job at that. so why not play the originals instead?!

How is that surprising, did you see those titles?! Like, how starved do you need to be to play that shit.

People who say stuff like this also thought it was true last year, when this didn't happen

What felipepepe is saying is that D:OS 2 had much more players in 2017 than Pathfinder Kingmaker had in 2018. Which one of those two games would you have guessed was more popular, based on their reception on the forum?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
To be fair, 2016 was also a kind of shitty year. Most played game was fucking Tyranny, with 38,7%.

Oh well, the poll is still only a day old and I only briefly checked the results, if we get the same numbers from last year there's still room to change.

Geckabor

Savant
This year, while it seems to have produced great games, also showed why waiting LONG after release really is the way to go at the moment, since basically all of them were riddled with bugs and possibly still are.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

because it's just as I've said: all the new games are just copying old games and they're not even doing a very good job at that. so why not play the originals instead?!
Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?

Codex Year of the Donut
the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?
reading is for faggots

Martyr

Arcane
yes, I honestly do. I'm still making mistakes, like purchasing Bard's Tale IV instead of replaying Wizardry 8, but I try to learn from a mistake like this.
and about your book analogy: I've given up on crime/thriller books years ago because I've read so many of them and none was even remotely close in quality to Silence of the Lambs. so yes, instead of buying the newest thriller I'm re-reading Silence. same goes with horror, Pet Sematary and Shining are unmatched imo.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

People who say stuff like this also thought it was true last year, when this didn't happen

What felipepepe is saying is that D:OS 2 had much more players in 2017 than Pathfinder Kingmaker had in 2018. Which one of those two games would you have guessed was more popular, based on their reception on the forum?
DOS2 was the "bigger and better" sequel to a good game which was recieved well by the Codex, and boasted numerous improvements over its predecessor (that turned out to be bollocks, but still, hype sells). Kingmaker came out in December and immediately got a reputation for being very buggy, which caused a lot of people to wait a while. Also, PFK is RTWP, which is an automatic no-buy for a certain contingent of edgelords people.

Bohr

Arcane
Sure, the big KS titles that most people took a look at have petered out now, but I still take the "played by" %s with a pinch of salt - a controversial game has some people voting it down even when they didn't really play it, as we saw in prior years. Perhaps there's also just less in the way of controversial entries this year.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I'm surprised kingmaker wasn't played by more people, but I guess the rtwp=shit prior is strong enough that most of the people who think they wouldn't like didn't bother.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Things were simpler back when everyone had played Witcher 3 and whoever had not, was shy to admit it.

To be fair, 2016 was also a kind of shitty year. Most played game was fucking Tyranny, with 38,7%.
Proud not to have ever played that crap.

Might be because we had Kingmaker and PoE2 very close to each other and the audience got split.
Given the specifics of Kingmaker's release and patching history, I wonder if we counts as a 2018 release more than "technically".

Mortmal

Arcane
Anyways this poll is pointless why even bother? Everyone knows Epic Battle Fantasy 5 is uncontested RPGOTY.
For entertainment, the butthurt generated, the drama when POE 2 win. You better thanks felipepe for it, else what would we speak about.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
As you step into the miscreant's inner sanctum, you find him his legs crossed, sitting on a breaking chair, as if he had been in place for four entire centuries. He looks at you with a knowing smile. Lighting a cigarette, he beckons you to move closer to him. You hesitate. He grunts and starts yelling in a foreign language, urging you to, you assume, do as he demands. You move next to him. He takes a puff of the cigarette and throws smoke right in your face. You don't know what you're doing here. He shakes his head, as if acknowledging something important, and proclaims :

"Video games, huh. I heard about it"

What do you do?

A) Punch him
B) Remind him about the prestigious magazine that employs you
C) Talk about rats

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There’s just not been a single title that has captured my attention to even possibly purchase and play. So I have not played anything on this list....

ATOM however, I will probably pick up at some point, as I am fairly sure I would enjoy that.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's my fault for not getting to the Bards Tale Trilogy remake and I plan on playing that eventually for sure, but otherwise I don't see anything that I would want to spend my time playing, 2018 was garbage.

Where is Grimoire V2.

SniperHF

Arcane

This is basically true for me anyway :laugh:

I will eventually play a few more from the list but they aren't so great looking as to get me rushing out to buy anything when I already have stuff to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom