Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

agris

Arcane
Patron
2) did i miss any ruins mods? there are entire villages on the s-w coast which desperately BEG to be rebuilt, but those ruins are not for sale. that's retarded. "the entire city is unowed, who would you be paying to?", then set the sale cost to 0 you dumbfuck.

Great question, anyone know?

Ironmonk

Augur
A heads-up for anyone that may try to recruit some of the unique npcs imprisoned in the Tengu's Vault:

- I did try to infiltrate with my 90+ stealth character and it's possible without triggering combat.
- If you release (without talking?) and pick the npc to run outside with him, he might bug and the cursor stays yellow forever and he never joins your party.
- After some tries, I infriltrated, talked to the unique npc I wanted to recruit, released him, and deactivated my stealth mode and run outside first bringing all guards after me and leaving the way clear for the npc to follow without being attacked by guards.
- With this, after you walk for some distance, he will start speaking to you and automatically joins. (you don't need to manually start a dialogue with him for that)
- I tried to use a guard disguise on one of my tests, but even with a very high chance of impersonation, I was discovered. But I probably was just unlucky.

Ironmonk

Augur
1) where are the biggest buildings on sale? i'd like a well populated, self sufficient city to settle in. i know there's an outpost in the s-w, should be s-w of the platform, whatsitsname.

2) did i miss any ruins mods? there are entire villages on the s-w coast which desperately BEG to be rebuilt, but those ruins are not for sale. that's retarded. "the entire city is unowed, who would you be paying to?", then set the sale cost to 0 you dumbfuck.

1) http://kenshi.wikia.com/wiki/Catun ?

2) I saw a few mods on steam workshop but never tried. IMO its better to just build your own outpost instead and with that avoid any possible bug/conflict that comes with the mod.

Hey, let me ask before I officially begin playing. Do they feed you as a slave or do they starve you and the only way you get food is by stealing it.
I think your hunger is locked at 150, so yo don't die but you do get hunger debuff. If you want to be properly fed for a scape, you gotta steal food.
everything is much, much easier if you look at the map.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1) where are the biggest buildings on sale? i'd like a well populated, self sufficient city to settle in. i know there's an outpost in the s-w, should be s-w of the platform, whatsitsname.
Stoat has five non-shack buildings for sale (y-house, stephouse, 2 stormhouses, and longhouse) and is a relatively central location. Although the five non-shack buildings for sale in Catun include an Outpost s-III (one of the large metal buildings), Heft has seven non-shack buildings available including an Outpost s-IV (!), and Mourn has six non-shack buildings including both types of Outpost (but the Great White Gorillo is trapped in one). The Hub must have the largest number of non-shack buildings available, with 13 (all in ruins, as are all but one in Mourn).

Deleted Member 16721

I like staying in Squin so far. Right next door I get a lot of crafting supplies, and across the road is the bar in case food is needed (also making my own.) It's a good area. Copper not too far out, attacks on my workers are rare and the Shek make quick work of them. It's big enough to fit a bunch of stuff in so yeah, so far, so good.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Complete guide to broken skeleton training:

Go find a hostile skeleton, beat him unconscious, then pick him up. Loot his weapon and heal him with a repair kit so he doesn't die. I recommend using your medic to do the repairs every time, since it levels up their Robotics skill.

Put the skeleton inside a cage at your house / base. Build a skeleton repair bed if you don't already have one.

Give skeleton the crappiest weapon you can find. I use a stick taken from a hungry bandit or fogman. Decide whatever weapon(s) you want to train your guys on, and craft the crappiest version (rusted junk). I think it's better to just craft what you need because finding the shit version of some weapons is hard (Falling Sun, for example).

Make sure your front door is closed and locked. Let the skeleton out of the cage and fight him. I did it 1-on-1 and just rotated my guys in as they got KO'd but I guess you can also gang up on him. Idk if it affects how fast you level. Anytime you need to pause combat, just move away and the skeleton will stop. I don't think the AI knows how to handle locked doors, so it just freezes.

When the skeleton is knocked out, grab him and put him on the repair bed to repair permanent damage. Then have your medic heal him at the same time to fix short-term damage. He will get out of bed once he is rebooted, and you won't be able to heal him anymore until he is KO'd again. But once your medic gets good at Robotics they will be able to heal all damage before he wakes up. Until then you can also give repair kits to multiple people and tag team it to work faster.

Also you don't have to use the repair bed every time -- skeletons degenerate rather slowly -- so you can just stick him back in his cage and then heal him to remove all temporary damage.

Be aware that importing your save causes the skeleton to disappear, so whenever you import you'll have to catch another one.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

And that is RPS - or Role-Playing Simulation.

The game features deep roleplaying elements, stats, skills, crafting, base-building, recruitment of companions, bounty hunting, trading, factions and more, but in a deeply simulated world. Rival factions will war with each other, fight groups of enemies, whether animal or human. Settlements will get taken over, you'll lose or gain status with the various factions and see the results. The game is in real-time but can be paused to give orders, so in this case it's *sort of* a RTWP-RPS, but mostly real-time. It's also sort of a blend of real-time strategy and Total War even, as battles are more like warbands fighting each other.

But yeah, new genre I think. I want to see more RPSs, for sure.

Sentinel

Arcane
it's called an evolution of the formula, not an entirely new genre.
while you're stuck in 2008 is there any question you'd like to ask about what the next 10 years of videogames have in store for you? I and a couple of others may be of help

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Looks like a cool game. Your shitty posts are probably hurting the interest we can have in it, and its sales. Now is the dilemma, boy - do you keep tramping futilely on for your passion, or do you willingly fade away to silence so that your love may blossom without you? Choose! Choose, boy! The world depends on your choice! The entire world, the love of humanity! It's now or never! Well, how about that drink. Where's my fucking whisky

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"The game features deep roleplaying elements, stats, skills, crafting, base-building, recruitment of companions, bounty hunting, trading, factions and more, but in a deeply simulated world. Rival factions will war with each other, fight groups of enemies, whether animal or human. Settlements will get taken over, you'll lose or gain status with the various factions and see the results. The game is in real-time but can be paused to give orders,"

220px-XCom_Apoc.jpg

Efe

Erudite
X-com apoc post is on point.
also king arthur roleplaying wargame kinda does this too.

Deleted Member 16721

X-com apoc post is on point.
also king arthur roleplaying wargame kinda does this too.

The difference though is that it's a 3rd-person/isometric/free camera view with your characters on a huge, seamless world map (2nd biggest singleplayer map since Daggerfall, all handcrafted, too.) So it's sort like a real-time strategy game, yet an RPG, and also a Total War type of game, wrapped into a simulated world. Very unique at least, if not a new genre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Efe

Erudite
a "big map" is not something that should define how good a game is.
from what ive seen kenshi lacks vertical movement, thus a mere slum map of x-com has more possibilities than entire kenshi map.

Deleted Member 16721

There's verticality in Kenshi. 2nd and 3rd floors on buildings, mountains to climb and valleys to sink in to. It's also an incredibly diverse map with many biomes and no loading screens. It's not really comparable to Xcom IMO.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If the definition of the RPG genre can be stretched far enough to include Baldur's Gate, then it can easily encompass Kenshi. No need to attempt the establishment of a new genre.

Jinn

Arcane
Is Fluent channeling his inner TemplarGR and Shafav Hamon?

Now that you mention it, this thought came to me as soon as I saw this thread today. That sage post by Serious_Business seems to ring true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom