Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

himmy

Arcane
I literally haven't played any of the games or expansions from that list. My backlog is huge and I couldn't be bothered to even pirate any of them and check them out for a few hours.

Mortmal

Arcane
the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

because it's just as I've said: all the new games are just copying old games and they're not even doing a very good job at that. so why not play the originals instead?!
Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?
reading is for faggots
Good first 2019 quote, TemplarGR ,there's a challenger for the retardo throne.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

because it's just as I've said: all the new games are just copying old games and they're not even doing a very good job at that. so why not play the originals instead?!
Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?
reading is for faggots
He is going away because mods decided to unfairly retardo his thread.
Here is his farewell if you haven't seen it.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/last-post-on-the-codex.125670/

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of the games in the poll, I own the following:
BattleTech - Not yet played.
CrossCode - Not yet played.
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - GOTY
Ghost of a Tale - Recommended, not an RPG.
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Not yet played.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Played 2 hours, enjoyed what I played.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - A mix of good and bad. It's good for a playthrough or two.
The Banner Saga 3 - Not yet played.

I voted on 4 games. I also own Cold Steel 2, but not on PC. Either way, that one is also not yet played.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.
That is why you put the bigger names on top. Scrolling trough all that shit is confusing.

Mortmal

Arcane

reading is for faggots
Oh yes I seen it, I think he's just depressed. That happens frequently once you achieve your goal . He got his crowning achievement now he dont know what to do with his life.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

reading is for faggots
Oh yes I seen it, I think he's just depressed. That happens frequently once you achieve your goal . He got his crowning achievement now he dont know what to do with his life.
Still it was unfair to send his thread in to retardo. That guy put a lot of effort in to his posts. I see no reason to be not allowed to talk about the games he likes,do you?

Mortmal

Arcane

reading is for faggots
Still it was unfair to send his thread in to retardo. That guy put a lot of effort in to his posts. I see no reason to be not allowed to talk about the games he likes,do you?

Indeed its unfair but such is the codex , most post of safav should have been sent to retardo as well, there should be equal treatment for shitposters. It's a dictatorship severing your brofist privilege when you dont even break any rules.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

reading is for faggots

Indeed its unfair but such is the codex , most post of safav should have been sent to retardo as well, there should be equal treatment for shitposters. It's a dictatorship severing your brofist privilege when you dont even break any rules.
The safav bias really piss me off,you could just feel that he malevolent fucker that have only hate toward people here and the games they like. He is the only asshole i felt that should be banned.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Is Kenshi better than Mount and Blade?
kzZbqj3.png

YLFZvkK.png

Here is how I would compare the two:

Similarities
- You start as a nobody and have some agency over who you want to be in the world. There is no "chosen one", no main quest, no one to tell you what to do.
- The world is meant to exist on its own, irrespective of the player. NPC aren't just standing around waiting for you to come talk to them -- they have their own goals and motivations. The extent to which either game actually realizes this in a meaningful way is debatable, but it's clearly the intent, and is a clearly distinct approach to worldbuilding compared to something like say, Fallout New Vegas.
- You can influence the major factions of the world, and cause an impact on the balance of power.
- Companions in Kenshi are similar to companions in M&B (i.e. named NPCs, not troops). You equip them, have some control over how they are trained, have to make sure there is enough food. They don't have detailed backstories and are mostly just there to help you do your thing.
- Both games have decent mod support, although Kenshi is a bit more limited, probably due to both the engine and it being a new release.

Differences
- M&B combat is more "action RPG" since it puts you in the role of the commander and allows you to control sword swings, blocks, etc. Kenshi doesn't allow direct control of characters -- you tell them to attack and they fight based on their stats.
- M&B's world is sort of stock medieval fantasy, where Kenshi's is post-apoc. The world of Kenshi feels very alien, kind of like Morrowind with sci-fi elements.
- M&B's mechanic of hiring and leveling troops doesn't exist in Kenshi. But, Kenshi allows you to have a lot more companions -- up to 30 in vanilla -- and the battles can still get quite large.
- No mounts in Kenshi, but enemies are much more diverse. You fight other races, monsters, robots, etc.
- You can't actually join factions in Kenshi, or take over towns. But unlike M&B you can build your own base.
- Kenshi has detailed crafting systems and an extensive tech tree.
- Kenshi has a lot more music, but it is used more sporadically. No marching / going to war songs like M&B.
Obviously this is not an exhaustive list, but hopefully helps. To summarize I think it depends on what you want to get out of the game.

M&B is great at allowing you to be a bad MFer with a big army who can smash faces and take over the world.

Kenshi makes you quite fragile, in contrast, and is generally darker, harsher, and in need of a more thoughtful approach. It is much better for those who like exploring an unknown and hazardous world, with treasures and secrets waiting to be found if you can brave the dangers. There's also this pervasive sense of mystery as to what caused the world to become so desolate, and you can find clues to uncover the past if you're willing to look for them (kind of Age of Decadence in that regard).

Overall M&B is my favorite game of all time, but Kenshi is a serious contender for taking that spot over.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I only played ATOM RPG and not that much, but enough for me to want to keep playing it (if it wasn't because of finals...). Gave it a 4/4. Also gave FO76 a 1/4 since I was at it.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Another year,another bunch of people proudly proclaiming how much they don't play RPGs.
:negative:

I played a ton of RPGs last year, but most of them were made in the '80s.

I'll play Kingmaker, ATOM et al. once all the major bugs are patched and any content DLCs are released. No need to rush into an unfinished new release when you still have a bunch of classics in your backlog.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, so two things happened: the number of votes greatly increased, and I removed all the troll votes (and there were A LOT of them, just giving 4/4 to AssCreed or Fallout 76. Very subtle).

Now things are looking better. Nothing reaching 60-70% like Twitcher 3, PoE1 or D:OS, but might end up being a year like 2016.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Another year,another bunch of people proudly proclaiming how much they don't play RPGs.
:negative:

I played a ton of RPGs last year, but most of them were made in the '80s.

I'll play Kingmaker, ATOM et al. once all the major bugs are patched and any content DLCs are released. No need to rush into an unfinished new release when you still have a bunch of classics in your backlog.
ATOM have no real bugs,maybe balance issues for some players.It is the cleanest release i have seen in a decade maybe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok, so two things happened: the number of votes greatly increased, and I removed all the troll votes (and there were A LOT of them, just giving 4/4 to AssCreed or Fallout 76. Very subtle).

Now things are looking better. Nothing reaching 60-70% like Twitcher 3, PoE1 or D:OS, but might end up being a year like 2016.
Interesting way to conduct a poll,just remove the ones that are troll ones.
:shredder:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.

What if somebody had just linked the poll on Reddit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom