Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Controller recommendations

Visperas

Augur
Hey people! Recently, the right trigger of my controller broke and I'm thinking about buying a new controller pretty soon. What do you guys recommend? It's for PC obviously, my budget is around $30 and I'll use it for 2D and 3D action games mostly. Thanks in avance!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Anything off brand is shit. Get a Xbox 360, Xbox One or PS4 controller. If you want plug and play for most games, go for the first two as DS4 isn't officially supported and you need to use either Steam's controller configurator or something like DS4Windows.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I like the Steam controller too, in concept at least. Shame it costs absurd monies to deliver it where I live.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Xbox 360 controller was among the single most durable peripheral i've ever owned. I now got an Xbox One version, which is more practical (uses a micro usb cable rather than a proprietary one, can connect with Bluetooth and doesn't need a proprietary receiver etc) but i cannot vouch on its durability since i just got it recently. Seems the same shit though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wait until the authentic Sony Playstation 4 DS4 controllers are on sale for $25-$30 and snatch one up immediately. Use it with DS4Windows on your PC to emulate a 360 controller and PROFIT! Best controller out there, imo. It has 8 extra buttons/functions you can re-program compared to the Xbox 360/One controllers. You can even play something with a total "more is better!" controls fetish, like the X3 series of space games. The Xbox One controller feels clunky, overweight and just plain WRONG in my tiny paws though the 360 is a little better. Caveat emptor though. The Sony controllers are the most counterfeited controllers in the world and what you get is junk that's not likely to last the year. I'm still using my authentic DS4 controller from about 3 years ago purchased from Newegg. Haven't had a need to bust out the Gold one I bought a few months ago for $25 off of a Facebook sale

Mustawd

What’s wrong with a good ol Logitech gamepad?

My last one lasted longer than my last relationship and that was 10 years.

Visperas

Augur
I was surprised at all the Xbox controller recommendations too. I thought I was going to get more Logitech or Razer or some shit like that. Interesting.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I thought I was going to get more Logitech or Razer or some shit like that.
Why? Off brand controllers are either:
1. Unsupported
2. Bad quality
3. Wildly overpriced
I don't think Logitech even produces controllers any more so that's out of the question anyway. Xbox 360 controller is the cheapest and most direct option that isn't shit quality and is well supported. Primary downside of it is that the d-pad isn't too good, but that aside it's pretty good. If you want a good d-pad consider getting a DS4 instead.

Deleted Member 16721

Steam Controller is by far the best controller ever made. Buy one, learn it, you will never go back to sticks again.

DemonKing

Arcane
If your budget is only $30 I'd stick with an XBOX360 controller.- as a XBONE, PS4 or Steam controller will probably set you back a lot more. I've used a couple of wired ones for the last few years with my PC and they're fine/durable.

deuxhero

Arcane
Biggest advantage of a PS4 controller is that it's the same layout as a PS1/2/3 controller, which is huge if you're emulating stuff.

soulburner

Cipher
I had some Logitech controler a few years back, the one that had built in fans :D It was detected by Windows as an Xbox 360 controller and had zero issues with games. It felt very cheap, though, so I gave it away. Anyway, I wonder if other controllers from Logitech and other brands are seen by the system as the Xbox one, because that removes any compatibility problems.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Anyway, I wonder if other controllers from Logitech and other brands are seen by the system as the Xbox one, because that removes the problem of any compatibility.
The two controllers that they still sell, the F710 and F310, came out before the Xbox One. So definitely not.
They are generic dinput devices from what I recall, I don't think they have native xinput support. You can make any generic dinput device appear as a Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller with the help of something like X360CE however, but I don't really see the point as you can just get a Xbox 360 controller for basically the same price and that has no such headaches.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I like 8BitDo's SF30 Pro/SN30 Pro, it's basically SNES pad with the analogue sticks, the d-pad is identical (or at least almost identical) to the d-pad in original SNES pad. It should be within your budget and it costs around 30 bucks, at least last time I checked.

8bitdo-pro-1-cail.jpg

Mustawd

The two controllers that they still sell, the F710 and F310, came out before the Xbox One. So definitely not.
They are generic dinput devices from what I recall, I don't think they have native xinput support.

Logitech f310 does. You can switch from direct input to X input via a switch in the back. I just checked my f310 and it does include that.

f310-trdfront.jpg

EDIT: I think you have a fair point that if you like the Xbox controller than that’s the best option, as the price point is similar. I’m not personally a fan of the Xbox controller.

I’m a big Playstation fan, and the logitech layout is pretty close to the ps2/ps3 layout. Except for the L2/R2 triggers. In fact, I actually like the feel of the logitech controller more than an actual Sony PS one.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Thousands of years into the future, alien archeologists visiting planet Earth will find just two signs of advanced human civilization - millions of Nokia's 3310 and X360 controllers, still fully functional and in mint condition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom