Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.
Are you implying that fallout 69 is not a total incline?! Such heresy!!!
:timetoburn:

Funposter

Arcane
forgot that I played underworld ascendant for 90 minutes until i saw its name pop up in the poll. not even awful enough to be memorable.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Strange year.
So little new games I actually played.
Not a single expansion.
Not a single port.
Just 4 new games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I feel most of the interesting new RPGs are so much betas that I rather wait a year or two before I give them a go, like Kingmaker which seems like a great game, but I rather wait until its mostly bugfree

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ok, so two things happened: the number of votes greatly increased, and I removed all the troll votes (and there were A LOT of them, just giving 4/4 to AssCreed or Fallout 76. Very subtle).

Now things are looking better. Nothing reaching 60-70% like Twitcher 3, PoE1 or D:OS, but might end up being a year like 2016.
Interesting way to conduct a poll,just remove the ones that are troll ones.
:shredder:

Stalin-Count-Votes-300x166.jpg

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
That's a very weak lineup. Also, is AC really an RPG?

Anyhow, RDR2 shits all over anything released this year and it's not even close.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I played only ToME4 Forbidden Cult.
The rest votes were given in advance I'll pley them in near future - Atom RPG and Kingmaker. Mostly Atom, because I have read like 20 thread 1000 post each about filled with discussion about it, and what people like/dislike in it, with qutes, quests, character descriptions................... so chances high I'll skip it. Not a fan of fantasy in general.
And a few I downvoted - Toddout 67, and what? PoE2 Boredoms of Hell and probably Otsossin Kreed: Shit Boat Adventure... probably Battltech: Kiva Space Nerd Girl edition too, that's my revenge for blonde hairs that not exist in game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Kingmaker and Kingdom Come are GOTYs, gave them 4.
RDR2 is too but that ain't RPG (although it is closest to it that Rockstar has ever gotten).
I am curious about the results.

I am playing AC Odyssey now and it is fun, and it is (baby's first) RPG - it has some choices and consequences and stuff. I gave it 2 - eventhough I have fun, it is the usual quantity over quality from Ubisoft.

I liked Vampyr, its atmosphere in particular, gave it 3.

Want to play Atom, but will wait for all patches and stuff.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I voted only for games I played except for one. I could not help but give Fallout 76 a 1 , I watched enough streams and videos that I feel confident that if I ever went crazy to buy that shit I would feel the same about its value.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Ok, so two things happened: the number of votes greatly increased, and I removed all the troll votes (and there were A LOT of them, just giving 4/4 to AssCreed or Fallout 76. Very subtle).

Now things are looking better. Nothing reaching 60-70% like Twitcher 3, PoE1 or D:OS, but might end up being a year like 2016.

I trust you removed all the 4/4 votes for PoE 2 too then?

:troll:

V_K

Arcane
Arguably, The Council should have been on the list. But since we don't have a special mention for "most innovative", I guess it's not a big deal.
Return of the Obra Dinn would win that award.
I meant most innovative RPG, not most innovative game. To my knowledge, Obra Dinn is not an RPG by any stretch. The Council on the other hand has every hallmark of RPG except for combat (it has dialog-based confrontations instead).

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Felipe's hatred of the actually quite okay action RPG Assassin's Creed is true decline

Ubisoft even added choices and consequences in this iteration just to tempt the codex. A full 8 binary choices

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Arguably, The Council should have been on the list. But since we don't have a special mention for "most innovative", I guess it's not a big deal.
I meant most innovative RPG, not most innovative game. To my knowledge, Obra Dinn is not an RPG by any stretch. The Council on the other hand has every hallmark of RPG except for combat (it has dialog-based confrontations instead).
Isn't The Council basically a fancy Visual Novel with extremely light RPG elements? Those had stats and skills checks for ages...

Mortmal

Arcane
Another year,another bunch of people proudly proclaiming how much they don't play RPGs.
:negative:

I played a ton of RPGs last year, but most of them were made in the '80s.

I'll play Kingmaker, ATOM et al. once all the major bugs are patched and any content DLCs are released. No need to rush into an unfinished new release when you still have a bunch of classics in your backlog.
ATOM have no real bugs,maybe balance issues for some players.It is the cleanest release i have seen in a decade maybe.
No bugs at all during my playthrough either . Just melee getting useless cause the damage is too low, no end game weapon except lenin's wrath, and no attacks of opportunity.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.
Maybe for this year one just votes for the most played, instead of GOTY...

Im starting to feel like these poll don't really tell us all that much since games are increasingly released in such horrid states that you really only want to play them 6-12 months after release when the bugs are ironed out and the DLCs released. This makes me unable to rate the perhaps most promising releases of the year (KC and Kingmaker) since I have not played either of them yet.

This. And this trend will likely continue also in 2019.

V_K

Arcane
Isn't The Council basically a fancy Visual Novel with extremely light RPG elements? Those had stats and skills checks for ages...
No actually, its systems are deeper than that. You have resource management (effort), various buffs and debuffs, consumables, sort-of-equipment (manuscripts), other characters have immunities and weaknesses to different skills. Also, unlike visual novels, there are proper exploration and puzzle sequences as well (which also tie in with skills). The game kinda ruins all this depth by being way, way, way too generous with consumables and skillpoints, but that's another story.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
This poll puts into perspective just how few games I managed to play in 2018. Kingmaker, Deadfire, and Mechanicus, and I still have not finished all of the content of these 3 games when I consider the DLC, patches, etc.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom