Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Olinser

Savant
I have literally NEVER seen a Vampire Coast army with more than 2 or 3 Bloated Corpse and I've played quite a number of games of all different factions (although sure some of them produce some not-good armies, that's because they think some units are 'good' when they clearly aren't).

It's well known that a number of mods screw up the AI.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have literally NEVER seen a Vampire Coast army with more than 2 or 3 Bloated Corpse and I've played quite a number of games of all different factions (although sure some of them produce some not-good armies, that's because they think some units are 'good' when they clearly aren't).

Things like Rocklobba Only stacks have plagued the game since WH1.

GrainWetski

Arcane

I have only ever encountered those garbage armies in the vanilla game.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The army composition AI depends on building availability and prioritisation. For example, if the army is raised in a lvl 3 province with a Tinkerer as the main recruitment building, you'll see armies made up purely of Rocklobbas. The AI doesn't stop to think 'wait, this doesn't make sense, I'll build a barracks before I raise this army', it will try to put together a stack with whatever units are available for recruitment.

Parabalus

Arcane
I've also encountered 15+ Steam Tank, Mammoth and Dragon armies from the various factions.

All of this is pretty rare though, like once per 100 turn campaign, nice for a chuckle.

A horse of course

Has anyone noticed a change in the mid-game balance since the Vampirates were added? It's tough for me to say since I only play unmodded campaigns the first time I play a faction, but it seems like the doughnut gets spitroasted by Sartosa and Nocty in early game, with most of Caledor, Tiranoc and all of eastern Ulthuan turning into vampire ruins. It seems as if Tyrion and Alarielle eventually get their act together and wipe out or minimize Sartosa, but it certainly delays the usual Helf snowball by turn 100. I suppose this is a good thing for gameplay, though from a lore perspective it annoys me to see a bunch of pirates nuking half the island whilst Alarielle genocides the minor Elf factions.

Also it seems like the rogue pirate factons constantly declare war on nearby player factions but ignore the AI, which is irritating. Not that they ever seem to raid the coastline or anything.

Olinser

Savant
Has anyone noticed a change in the mid-game balance since the Vampirates were added? It's tough for me to say since I only play unmodded campaigns the first time I play a faction, but it seems like the doughnut gets spitroasted by Sartosa and Nocty in early game, with most of Caledor, Tiranoc and all of eastern Ulthuan turning into vampire ruins. It seems as if Tyrion and Alarielle eventually get their act together and wipe out or minimize Sartosa, but it certainly delays the usual Helf snowball by turn 100. I suppose this is a good thing for gameplay, though from a lore perspective it annoys me to see a bunch of pirates nuking half the island whilst Alarielle genocides the minor Elf factions.

Also it seems like the rogue pirate factons constantly declare war on nearby player factions but ignore the AI, which is irritating. Not that they ever seem to raid the coastline or anything.

It kind of depends how big a foothold the AI actually gets on the island. I've seen Sartosa wiped out by the AI by turn 30, and I've seen them take over the entire island.

But in general it actually feels to me like Sartosa's presence makes the High Elf confederations FASTER, because they're under immediate, direct threat, and just after losing armies is when AI tend to confederate.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The army composition AI depends on building availability and prioritisation. For example, if the army is raised in a lvl 3 province with a Tinkerer as the main recruitment building, you'll see armies made up purely of Rocklobbas. The AI doesn't stop to think 'wait, this doesn't make sense, I'll build a barracks before I raise this army', it will try to put together a stack with whatever units are available for recruitment.

Hence why I was wondering they they didn't give the AI templates to work off off, so it doesn't have to make decisions like that to begin with. It already cheats with regards to money, just give it a couple of province design templates so it can actually recruit the units it needs and be done with it.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It does have templates, but they're conditional. Like, if the army recruitment buildings are there, it will build a balanced army. However, if they're not, it will go with whatever's available, so that it doesn't just sit there with a lord and a couple of units (which would be an even worse outcome).

A horse of course

Reddit's favourite Findom Queen claims that CA have absolutely nothing to announce until the release of of Three Kingdoms in March 2019. So enjoy one last Lords pack for the worst factions in late spring/early summer and then they'll probably announce Warhammer III. Sad!

edit: wrong year

Last edited by a moderator:

Aemar

Arcane
Hard to believe the second game will remain at only 6 races. If I were to nominate the next DLC faction then that would definitely be Araby. I doubt Warhammer III will be announced before the end of summer, and it's a long time until then.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A team is working hard on three kingdoms, and don't have time to make new things of WH 2. B team is less competent and screwed WH 2 in comparison to WH.
And then likely A team might work on WH 3, thus WH 2 would still be less relevant than 3K, or WH 3. Thus WH 2 would still likely get only cash grab DLC, nothing important.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
9PMJ0uj.png

How fucking hard is it to give the AI a couple of pre-determined army builds that it tries to follow? Look at this retarded shit.

Is this a special army? Independents occasionally had weird armies in Eye of vortex campaign. Like that hordes of missile launchers and one captain.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Their structure is more like this:

Historical Team - Three Kingdoms

Three Kingdoms New Content Team - Yellow Turbans (3K)

Historical New Content Team - Rome 2 DLC

Saga Team - Thrones of Brittania (patch)

Arena Team - Arena (shutting down)

Fantasy New Content Team - Festag Patch

Fantasy Team - Pre-production (obviously TW3, though technically not confirmed)

In other words, any new DLC for WH2 is coming from the Fantasy New Content Team, and they are probably only now (in the next few weeks) starting production of content for 2019. Meaning, the earliest announcement will probably be ~April. I'd expect one more race pack release and one lord pack (for Lizardmen/Skaven).

Money's on Arabia or Dogs of War for the last race release.

All info is from their blog, which does monthly updates on what the different teams are working on: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-november-2018

Last edited:

Olinser

Savant
It does have templates, but they're conditional. Like, if the army recruitment buildings are there, it will build a balanced army. However, if they're not, it will go with whatever's available, so that it doesn't just sit there with a lord and a couple of units (which would be an even worse outcome).

Correct. If they just built everything regardless of buildings people would bitch about the AI cheating and not needing the buildings to make troops.

A horse of course

The Nazi mod solves this by having all main settlement buildings (village, town etc.) unlock the most basic Tier 1 units for recruitment, so no matter how fucked a province's infrastructure, armies can always be filled out with non-meme troops. Still, part of the problem is that AI makes decisions based on Auto-Resolve weighting, which heavily favours artillery units.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I finally started playing TW: Warhammer 2 and the "mod problem" kinda solved itself for me.
SFO 2 simply would not let me start any campaign. Immediate crash to desktop, no matter which faction I chose. Alright, then...
Radious worked. After 5-7 turns I was swimming in so much money I was thinking "wtf is this nonsense". Easy mode? On to the next...
Lucky's Overhaul. Works fine, plays fine (so far), I dig the veterancy selections and the fact that battles last longer, giving you more time for fancy maneuvers. Off to a promising start. If that one would have failed, I'd just have gone vanilla.

Doing sieges as Skaven is pretty funny. Usually, with an early-game army, you wouldn't stand a chance against Dwarves. I sent my entire two armies of clanrats and a few stormvermin at the walls and by the end of the fight, I had lost 2000 units while the Dwarves had lost 120. Even Dwarven ranged units wouldn't go down to an assault of three units of (non-spear!) clanrats. If that isn't lore friendly, I don't know what is.

Thankfully, given enough food, you can "summon" obscene amounts of rats out of the tunnels anywhere on the map. So while my actual army was keeping busy dwarves at and on the walls, another summoned army of 10 units held the objective area long enough to win, as the Dwarves just didn't have the numbers to hold both objectives. And thankfully, it was stupid enough to try and hold the walls instead of the actually important area.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
SFO 2 doesn't work yet with the Festag patch, if that's what you're using (having opted into the beta).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I came back briefly to start a Bretonnia campaign. Beforehand, I had Choices and Consequences mod installed, but now I see Lucky's Overhaul? Did the mod change names, or did I drunkenly shift my mods around at some point?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I finally started playing TW: Warhammer 2 and the "mod problem" kinda solved itself for me.
SFO 2 simply would not let me start any campaign. Immediate crash to desktop, no matter which faction I chose. Alright, then...
Radious worked. After 5-7 turns I was swimming in so much money I was thinking "wtf is this nonsense". Easy mode? On to the next...
Lucky's Overhaul. Works fine, plays fine (so far), I dig the veterancy selections and the fact that battles last longer, giving you more time for fancy maneuvers. Off to a promising start. If that one would have failed, I'd just have gone vanilla.

Doing sieges as Skaven is pretty funny. Usually, with an early-game army, you wouldn't stand a chance against Dwarves. I sent my entire two armies of clanrats and a few stormvermin at the walls and by the end of the fight, I had lost 2000 units while the Dwarves had lost 120. Even Dwarven ranged units wouldn't go down to an assault of three units of (non-spear!) clanrats. If that isn't lore friendly, I don't know what is.

Thankfully, given enough food, you can "summon" obscene amounts of rats out of the tunnels anywhere on the map. So while my actual army was keeping busy dwarves at and on the walls, another summoned army of 10 units held the objective area long enough to win, as the Dwarves just didn't have the numbers to hold both objectives. And thankfully, it was stupid enough to try and hold the walls instead of the actually important area.

Why not use CTT?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I came back briefly to start a Bretonnia campaign. Beforehand, I had Choices and Consequences mod installed, but now I see Lucky's Overhaul? Did the mod change names, or did I drunkenly shift my mods around at some point?

Name change.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to give this game a serious spin and found out that the ME campaign for II actually has shitton of updates/improvements for I content (additional regions, starting positions, unique building and even new units and mechanics). Like the Vampires having one completely new starting position, the blood kiss mechanic and access to some human ranged units. And none of this stuff is actually present in WH I, so you have to play the slow ass, cumbersome ME with turn times from hell to get access to it. Wtf, why? Are there any plans to update I with this stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom