Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Try upgrading your ten year old CPU.
R5 2600 is 10 years old now?

Dude, the launcher is slow as fuck. Click on "store" ~1 second load time, you think it works? HAHA you're in idiot. It doesn't it gave you store as if you weren't logged in on the website so it'll reload it again after 5 seconds because the client is so trash. Plus problem mentioned on the previous page - bootstrapper getting into some infinite loop happens on 6 different computers I've checked it on.

Heretic

Cipher
When you click on Store in the Steam client, you are loading a web page. Its speed will depend on your internet connection.

ultra loser

Scholar
Steam shills here can't comprehend that the client is shit and if it works all right for you you are not the majority but the 1%.

Relaunched that fucking drm three times today and still couldn't see family sharing games from one of the people who share games with me. Suddenly they appeared after launching it five hours later.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Relaunched that fucking drm three times today and still couldn't see family sharing games from one of the people who share games with me. Suddenly they appeared after launching it five hours later.

Yeah about that.

I don't think Epic Store has that feature in the first place, so you won't have any problems with it there, huh :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah about that.

I don't think Epic Store has that feature in the first place, so you won't have any problems with it there, huh :M
Yep. Steam has a shit ton of features which usually works, but of course there are bugs as with any complex systems. Epic has 0 features, but that 0 feature works all the time. Thus Epic Launcher is >>>>>>> Steam Client.

Turjan

Arcane

Yeah about that.

And loading their games catalog of epic proportions takes that long.

They don't even need two pages.

Regarding the Steam store, it usually shows the page you were last on when you click "store". That comes in handy when you only looked something up before returning to the store page. Clicking a second time loads the front page. It's basically a different "back" button system.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
R5 2600 is 10 years old now?

Dude, the launcher is slow as fuck. Click on "store" ~1 second load time, you think it works? HAHA you're in idiot. It doesn't it gave you store as if you weren't logged in on the website so it'll reload it again after 5 seconds because the client is so trash. Plus problem mentioned on the previous page - bootstrapper getting into some infinite loop happens on 6 different computers I've checked it on.
Your tag is well earned.

There are sometimes issues with family sharing, but when there are issues the games are usually gone until you go into the sauna and re-dock with your buddy (Most often caused by inactivity and 100% caused by changing your computer around since family sharing is based on individual systems rather than greenlighting another account wholesale). The more likely reason you weren't seeing the games is you probably had it filtered to "My games" initially which doesn't show family shared things, while "All games" does.

Steam sharing is another one of those hateful anti-developer features though so it's a good thing Epic doesn't have it. Letting friends borrow your games, what kind of communist shitshow is Gaben running anyway? It's definitely not like someone would borrow Dragon Quest 11 and have a surprising amount of fun with it and start thinking about buying his own copy even though he typically hates JRPGs.

Beastro

Arcane
15 years and it still won't start on the first try after you turn on your PC. Process hangs on "Connecting steam account", you have to kill it manually and relaunch. When it finally launches you are stuck with a busy cursor icon like it's mining bitcoins in the background for no reason. I looked up these issues on the internet and I'm not the only one who has them.
Software worth billions and they don't care about fixing it, what do they even do at work, it's not like they are busy making video games.

Funny enough, Discord does this for me on launch, but Steam never has.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
And again, for all the people who hate Steam and think its launcher sucks:

Have you ever heard about GoG?

itch.io is also a thing but usually it just houses small indie games so the bigger ones aren't on it

But both of these stores have no mandatory launcher at all, you download an installer and install the game and that's it. Which is very user friendly.

What does the Epic store do? Pretty much the same as Steam except with only a quarter of the features. It's launcher-based, but in contrast to Steam the launcher doesn't have any useful features. No fourms. No chat with friends. Some games can opt out of being reviewable (lol). Does it even have a discovery queue and a wishlist? I don't know, and I don't care because all signs point towards it being a useless piece of shit. I'll keep using Steam, and GoG and itch for games that are released on those two stores.

But hey, you know why the developers who speak the loudest in favor of the Epic store don't praise GoG with the same vehemency? It's also a large store owned by a multi-million dollar company, and has plenty of market reach. Oh, right, it's because GoG also has such terrible anti-developer features as user reviews and discussion forums! How dare they encourage toxic gamer communities!!

abija

Prophet
Some games can opt out of being reviewable (lol).
If you can filter out those games, that would be a great feature every store should copy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...pic-games-store-courting-new-younger-audience

Sergey Galyonkin: Epic Games store courting a younger, Steam-less audience
Epic Games' director of publishing strategy offers glimpse of what the storefront plans to offer both consumers and influencers in the coming months and year

As creator of Steam Spy and now Epic Games' director of publishing strategy, Sergey Galyonkin is in an interesting both-worlds position to speak on the major problems posed to both platforms. And though Epic understandably isn't giving away a roadmap of all its future plans as a new storefront competitor just yet, Galyonkin has recently shed some light on what users and developers alike can expect from Epic in the coming year in terms of both philosophy and features.

In a ResetEra thread, member daxy provided a translated summary of the December 8, 2018 episode of podcast "How Games Are Made," a Russian-language podcast co-hosted by Galyonkin.

Though the poster admitted the translation wasn't perfect, Galyonkin confirmed several specifics about the information in the post in both a follow-up Twitter threadand in an email communication with GamesIndustry.biz

The discussion revolves around Epic Games' philosophy and balance of supporting features for developers with features for consumers, the latter of which the Epic Games store has been accused of lacking compared to its immediate competitors so far. Based on his remarks, though, Galyonkin isn't worried at all, but is rather focused along with Epic on eliminating old and unsustainable features that other storefronts maintain just for the sake of having them while improving the store's usability and profitability for developers and a new, younger audience of consumers coming to the store initially for Fortnite.

For example, Galyonkin confirmed that of all Fortnite players, only half have Steam installed and of those that have it installed, 60% are not using it actively. He also confirmed the translated details of a story told by two co-hosts involved with Hello Neighbor publisher TinyBuild on the podcast. According to them (via the translation), most of their sales came directly through the TinyBuild website, but when they sent out Steam keys, a not-insignificant chunk of their audience had no idea what to do with them. Their explanation of why this occurred was that the audience for the game skewed younger, and thus included a large number of people who had never touched Steam. So when it came time for Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek, TinyBuild opted to try the Epic Store instead.

Galyonkin says that for the Epic Games store and the industry at large, friends and influencers are far more important engines of game discovery than in-store recommendations. At the moment, Epic has a system in place that allows developers to provide influencers with game codes that come with referral links to the game, offering the influencers a cut of a game's sale when the link is used. By default, the cut is 5%, a number Epic games currently covers, though developers can decrease or, at their own expense, increase that cut. The program is not intended to be a permanent one.

"Right now a significant part of marketing budgets of big games is allocated to pay influencers," Galyonkin said on Twitter. "Those are one-off deals. I think having a way for influencers to be able to stream any game and make money without relying solely on big publishers would be awesome.

"Support-A-Creator program for Fortnite allows some creators to make enough money to go full-time. My hope is by extending it to Epic Games store titles and getting more games on board, we'll reach the point where it's possible for more creators.

"...Our goal is to empower smaller devs to have the same access to creators that only big publishers right now can afford. It's not in any way mandatory, we're just leveling the playing field, giving devs the tools. On the other hand, it also levels the playing field for mid-sized and small creators. We found that ROI on small and mid-sized creators is actually better when running promotional campaigns, but there are so many of them, most devs can't manage that. We'll give them the tools."

For developers and users, Galyonkin hinted at other improvements that Epic is considering. He confirmed that Epic Games eventually wants to open itself to self-publishing, though with a stronger moderation system to ensure someone has actually played games before they are released on the storefront. He said that Epic intends to keep away from anything like Steam Cards, saying that features such as that and the Steam marketplace contribute to an excess of "game-shaped objects," or "games" that simply exist for marketplace transactions. Without those, asset flips, or malicious developers, Galyonkin suggests the store may have between 150-200 games per month to sort through for curation.

Galyonkin also suggested that the Epic Games store won't increase their own 12% cut of game sales revenue, but would look for ways to lower it further if payment processing companies become willing to play ball and reduce fees.

And specifically for users, Galyonkin confirmed that the Epic Games store is looking to implement cloud saves around February, achievements by the end of 2019, and reviews at some point in the future (though he said via email this dates were not fixed). Social features are also in the works, though on Twitter he clarified that these would look different from "an old-fashioned message board." Galyonkin wants to avoid older technology that is difficult to manage, as well as another Steam problem of users using the platform's review system as tech support.

Finally, Galyonkin told me that non-Epic games would eventually be launchable through the storefront, just like on Steam and Discord, but GOG's feature of importing games from other platforms would not be included. "'Add a non-Steam game' but for Epic is easy to do," he said, referring to the name of the feature on Steam. "'Import my games from Steam' requires a lot of legal work that might not result in any benefit for consumers."

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Unless they are aiming to go for the mobile gaming audience, there really isn't much more room in the PC gaming world.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Influencers will just drop your game if they are not getting any sales from it. It's basically the same fucking thing as now. If it's not fun and Twitch idiots not streaming it, the sales will be poor if you expect super star sales like every freaking indie developer expects nowadays it seems.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
For example, Galyonkin confirmed that of all Fortnite players, only half have Steam installed and of those that have it installed, 60% are not using it actively.
I read this as most Fortnite players are kids (okay that's irrelevant) who aren't PC gaming enthusiasts and probably doesn't use Steam much in the first place, just like how a lot of users on Steam only play Dota 2 or CSGO exclusively without glancing at other products offered on the store. So I don't get what his point is here.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
consumers and influencers

:hmmm:

Finally, Galyonkin told me that non-Epic games would eventually be launchable through the storefront, just like on Steam and Discord, but GOG's feature of importing games from other platforms would not be included. "'Add a non-Steam game' but for Epic is easy to do," he said, referring to the name of the feature on Steam. "'Import my games from Steam' requires a lot of legal work that might not result in any benefit for consumers."

Lel, is he for real? No benefit? Of course, better buy that shit once again, right?

About the whole Epic shenanigan, while I understand why so many people are up in the arms about it, the original PC gaming sin was accepting any kind of launcher in the first place. Yes, Steam has a load of useful features, used to offer great deals, cut down the bullshit DRM which offered nothing of value to the consumer but, for better or worse, showed people were mostly fine with installing unrelated software just to game. It's such a shame the GOG model is the exception.

Now you have more and more corporations picking up the trend and implementing nonsense like store exclusives and spinning it as a good thing because "think of the poor devs" until the market implodes like it did back in 2005 and piracy will be the scapegoat.

Viata

Arcane
Reddit upvotes and Quora/Twitter likes allow everyone to voice their opinions without writing lengthy texts
I don't know about Quota/Twitter likes work, but as far as I know in Reddit, the more downvotes you get, the less people are going to read your opinion. Thus, making so that only the "good opinions" are going to be read. Which is far from "allowing everyone to voice their opinions".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Unless they are aiming to go for the mobile gaming audience, there really isn't much more room in the PC gaming world.

I'm not so sure. My impression is that PC gaming is far greater than Steam, even if you exclude China. But I'm also not sure how many of non-Steam PC audience will going to buy games from Epic, or if they can convert the younger people to their own Steam addicts. I guess they are not insignificant (as pointed by TinyBuild guy in the article), but how? Not sure.

Also they're going to launch a mobile (Android) store too.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Reddit upvotes and Quora/Twitter likes allow everyone to voice their opinions without writing lengthy texts
I don't know about Quota/Twitter likes work, but as far as I know in Reddit, the more downvotes you get, the less people are going to read your opinion. Thus, making so that only the "good opinions" are going to be read. Which is far from "allowing everyone to voice their opinions".

Not only that, you can brigade like fuck any criticisms and only have the happy glowing posts with positive coverage. With influencers being targeted as promotional marketing they are going to suffer the same fate as 'game journalists' in that their integrity is questioned on a regular basis and they will get shit on by the larger public when they enthusiastically support crap (HA, its their entire business model) that the larger public rejects.

Forums act as a way to see all points of views, even misguided and erroneous ones that get corrected, and allow the invested party ample time to get informed on a topic. Reddit is a fucking retard cesspit consisting of walled gardens of echo chambers enforced by their own systems to keep discussion at a minimum and group consensus at a maximum. Shadowbanning started there, thats some seriously orwellian control mechanism that only a truly deranged fuckup could think up and deploy. Avoid reddit, or at least enter knowing its full of the worst humanity has to offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom