Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.

Why the fuck you share tips on how to troll the poll?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This poll puts into perspective just how few games I managed to play in 2018. Kingmaker, Deadfire, and Mechanicus, and I still have not finished all of the content of these 3 games when I consider the DLC, patches, etc.

:negative:
I played even less. Kingmaker, Battletech and Path of Exile all seasons in 2018. Path of Exile is probably the main reason why :D

ricolikesrice

Arcane
-Kingmaker and Deadfire 3/4 each ( opposed to Codex favourite 2017 D:OS2 which i d rate 2/4 )

-Mechanicus 2/4 ( only because art/sound/atmopshere are fantastic .... total lack of challenge is a huge bummer though )

-Battletech 1/4 ( total shit game , huge disappointment, how can you fuck up a turn based strategy mech mercenary game so much ????, i bet even Jagged Alliance: Rage is less awful )

didnt play anything else.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
KCD was enjoyable for what it is. I'm not generally one for walking simulators, but I played it to support Vavra, and it was decent. I don't think its the kind of things I'd come back to years later.

I've only just recently started Kingmaker and I'm liking it so far.

POE:2 was disappointing to me despite enjoying POE for what it was. Certain annoying things weren't improved, and the writing is god awful which is a buzzkill for me. I gave it a 2 but probably would have given it a 3/5 on a 5-point scale. Much better than the piece of shit that was Tyranny though.

Haven't gotten around to trying Atom.

Not sure what else, if anything, to bother with from this year. Perhaps the results of this list will help with that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Kingdom come gets way too much credit around here. Game makes a good first impression but then proceeds to become shit for hours on end. Terrible combat, terrible enemy variety, terrible leveling system that rewards you for shooting cows, killing chickens, skinning dogs, terrible main character, horrible voice acting, bland map with the same fucking hedges everywhere... All capped off with one of the worse horse implementations I can remember.

SniperHF

Arcane
Another year,another bunch of people proudly proclaiming how much they don't play RPGs.
:negative:

I played a ton of 2017 RPGs.

This year far as I can tell the biggest releases for CRPGs were a couple RTwP games which I'll probably check out later, nothing getting me running to my credit card.
ATOM will be a :d1p: whenever they get around to releasing the stupid GOG version. It's basically the only RPG released this year I'd be all that hyped up about in a vacuum and it was released practically 10 minutes ago.

BT IV is mediocre with trash systems (played the beta).

KCD is good for what it is but not exactly a hardcore CRPG.
Battletech was mildly amusing but probably even less of an RPG than KCD.

For my liking the combination of Expeditions Viking, ELEX, D:OS 2, and Grimoire trounce the best 4 you could put together out of this year's crop pretty easily. So yeah not much motivation to play 2018 RPGs in 2018.

Norfleet

Again with that 1-2-3-4 shit?

I refuse to participate because this is a stupid and skewed rating system.
See, I would have gone with a 3-bit checkbox system, one for each of "Banal", "Shit", and "Boring" that you could check or not check, giving you 8 possible different ratings that should cover the entire gamut of Codexian opinions.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's been a pretty good year after all. Kingmaker, ATOM, KCD. Even Battletech with mods is serviceable. And Kenshi finally getting 1.0.

Pathfinder and ATOM are especially valuable because they show that making a game that players want, instead of sperging halfassery like Pillows or Wasteland 2 can be done without "teh great creators of ye olden days" by virtually unknown studios on minuscule budgets. Just imagine Pathfinder with PoE2 or ATOM with Wastland 2 budget...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's been a pretty good year after all. Kingmaker, ATOM, KCD. Even Battletech with mods is serviceable. And Kenshi finally getting 1.0.

Pathfinder and ATOM are especially valuable because they show that making a game that players want, instead of sperging halfassery like Pillows or Wasteland 2 can be done without "teh great creators of ye olden days" by virtually unknown studios on minuscule budgets. Just imagine Pathfinder with PoE2 or ATOM with Wastland 2 budget...
Yeah,spiritual successors to both Baldur's gate and Fallout in one year. It is pretty incline.

sullynathan

Arcane
Kingdom come gets way too much credit around here. Game makes a good first impression but then proceeds to become shit for hours on end. Terrible combat, terrible enemy variety, terrible leveling system that rewards you for shooting cows, killing chickens, skinning dogs, terrible main character, horrible voice acting, bland map with the same fucking hedges everywhere... All capped off with one of the worse horse implementations I can remember.
How comparable is it to Red Dead Redemption 2?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?
yes, I honestly do. I'm still making mistakes, like purchasing Bard's Tale IV instead of replaying Wizardry 8, but I try to learn from a mistake like this.
and about your book analogy: I've given up on crime/thriller books years ago because I've read so many of them and none was even remotely close in quality to Silence of the Lambs. so yes, instead of buying the newest thriller I'm re-reading Silence. same goes with horror, Pet Sematary and Shining are unmatched imo.

Do you hit yourself with a hammer on the head before you do that so you forget the storyline?

Martyr

Arcane
Do you do that with everything? Like do you find a book that you consider the best book ever written and then read it over and over again while ignoring all other books?
yes, I honestly do. I'm still making mistakes, like purchasing Bard's Tale IV instead of replaying Wizardry 8, but I try to learn from a mistake like this.
and about your book analogy: I've given up on crime/thriller books years ago because I've read so many of them and none was even remotely close in quality to Silence of the Lambs. so yes, instead of buying the newest thriller I'm re-reading Silence. same goes with horror, Pet Sematary and Shining are unmatched imo.

Do you hit yourself with a hammer on the head before you do that so you forget the storyline?
re- reading/watching/playing something is like coming home after a long and terrible journey.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.

Its the power of the almighty backlog. Even though codex likes to pretend otherwise, the last couple of years have brought us many good rpgs so there is no reason to pay full price for new titles when you can simply play 1-3 years old titles that are way cheaper, polished and come as "definitive" editions with complete content. Do the same exact poll in 2 years and i am sure almost everyone will have played the titles that get the best word of mouth around here.

Market saturation plays in our benefit currently and it will lead to an increase in quality because of higher competition eventually.

Doktor Best

Arcane

re- reading/watching/playing something is like coming home after a long and terrible journey.

Yeah i know and i also like to replay my favorites from time to time. But all of the time? I imagine that would get rather dull.

Martyr

Arcane

Yeah i know and i also like to replay my favorites from time to time. But all of the time? I imagine that would get rather dull.
not all the time, just about once a year. I've got quite a few favorite books/games/movies/series, they can easily keep me entertained without getting repetetive.

Mortmal

Arcane
I usually don't comment on ongoing polls, but the results so far are insane. No one played anything.

I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...

As of now, there's not a single RPG that was played by more than 18% of the voters. Hell, only 4 games were played by more than 10% of the voters.

Its the power of the almighty backlog. Even though codex likes to pretend otherwise, the last couple of years have brought us many good rpgs so there is no reason to pay full price for new titles when you can simply play 1-3 years old titles that are way cheaper, polished and come as "definitive" editions with complete content. Do the same exact poll in 2 years and i am sure almost everyone will have played the titles that get the best word of mouth around here.

Market saturation plays in our benefit currently and it will lead to an increase in quality because of higher competition eventually.
Market saturation ? there's very few great titles released even if you wait 2years 6 months for a sale., you will finish everything worth playing very fast. On that 2018 list you can count titles really worth playing on one hand, and i am not too picky i enjoyed Bard's tale 4. 2019 looks much much worse.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Market saturation ? there's very few great titles released even if you wait 2years 6 months for a sale., you will finish everything worth playing very fast. On that 2018 list you can count titles really worth playing on one hand, and i am not too picky i enjoyed Bard's tale 4. 2019 looks much much worse.

Even if you manage to narrow it down to 5 games (i cant for example), those games are 50-100 hours each so that still means at a minimum 250 hours of gameplay for rpgs alone...

Murk

Arcane
I couldn't tell what were real entries or what were fake entries half the time and so I left a ton blank since I didn't play them or even recognize them.

Mortmal

Arcane

Even if you manage to narrow it down to 5 games (i cant for example), those games are 50-100 hours each so that still means at a minimum 250 hours of gameplay for rpgs alone...
250 hours hours that's all there is for several years before the next bunch of good ones , when its not a complete desert for a decade.

ultra loser

Scholar
How many games played by nobody?
Only 5 games. The voters are really extremely spread out.
Impossible, I voted all 1s.

If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.
ooh shit's rigged

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom