Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Generic-Giant-Spider

I agree with Liquid Snake over there (spoilers), a PC is meant for a table and a chair that can swivel. Preferably one of those '80s swivel chairs you'd see a secretary use in a hospital.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Not so impressed after watching a playthrough. What's the point of the over the shoulder perspective and the emphasis on targeting if the environment doesn't have destructible elements? Resident Evil 4 gets a lot of crap for the direction it took the series in, but its one of the few games to successfully recreate the feeling of being chased by a mob. Locking doors and moving bookcases in front of windows only bought a short respite before the lunatics hacked them to pieces, and they were free to adapt to the player's movements in an open area rather than confined to a tightly scripted sequence. Sure its just a demo, but RE2 needed to better show us what the new perspective entails beyond the visual look and how its design takes advantage of that. It's not a compelling feature unto itself.

Then again, the dimwit I watched didn't exactly relish the chance to test the confines of the game.

tbh CV and Zero are worst classic RE games.

To each his own, but I don't think many fans would agree with that.
The writing in CV and re0 both feel like a shitty anime version of a shitty light novel, where as the previous games feel like a horror movie with a cheesy script.
CV just fucking drags on forever, and unless you realize that some enemies do infinitely respawn you could fuck yourself over. That does explain why there there's at least 1000 handgun rounds and the knife is overpowered in that game. If you have a auto-fire controller you can turn the brust fire pistol into a smg. Fun times to cheese that game.
RE0 the biggest issue is that game reeeeeeeeeeaaaly loves to fucking blindside you. What's that? Did you finally turn on the basement power? Now there's a shitload of killer chimps on the loose and rebecca is going to fall to death if you don't run to the other side of the mansion. This isn't as big of an issue when you replay it since you know it's coming but it's a bit frustrating the first time around. The lack of item box is a pain in the ass, which can be mitigated by treating safe rooms as time boxes, but that does defeat the point of have dropping any item anywhere you want. At least billy is godlike and his skills with the knife as well. Fun times cheesing that game with billy.

Even with their flaws I still consider them solid resident evil games. They're just worst of the classic RE games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What's that? Did you finally turn on the basement power? Now there's a shitload of killer chimps on the loose and rebecca is going to fall to death if you don't run to the other side of the mansion. This isn't as big of an issue when you replay it since you know it's coming but it's a bit frustrating the first time around. The lack of item box is a pain in the ass, which can be mitigated by treating safe rooms as time boxes, but that does defeat the point of have dropping any item anywhere you want.
not to mention the hookshot.

Jesus I cant believe I forgot about that, guess its because I replayed it so much I always took it with me to the lab now. But yeah it's the thing that blindsides you. Especially since killer chimps spawns on the door back to the mansion once the lab is open.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
tbh CV and Zero are worst classic RE games.

To each his own, but I don't think many fans would agree with that.

Zero, in particular, tends to be quite disliked by a lot of people. The swap system and the frustrating inventory management are often cited as reasons.

CV I don't think has quite the same level of dislike, but there are quite a lot of classic fans that dislike it.

Viata

Arcane
So I finished RE2, Leon A and yeah, you can pretty much kill everything in the game and end it with some bullets. My handgun, sadly, ended with no bullets(I really missed some shots here and there and some zombies took more than 6~8 bullets to die), but for the rest of guns I had a lot of bullets(submachine gun was 100%, I have no reason to use it at all) and a lot of herbs, btw. It took me some time to finish it, however, because I couldn't remember most of the places I had to go and killing every enemy was a waste of time. The two saves are before the first and second(final) battle against William Birkin, I was trying to do a no save run, but because of having to killing everyone I was not that sure I'd be able to stay alive until the end, so decide to save first at the boss battle. The second save was because I had forgot how OP the magnum is and how it easily kill both final forms of William. Overall, RE 2 is perhaps the easiest game(scenario A) of original trilogy because of the lack of boss battles and stronger enemies. I have to finish Claire A(not now, may play 3 first, I miss that game) so I can do Leon B, which is way better. Also, it's been a while since I last played almost 7 hours straight. I miss good games. :negative:
Tp7PWSD.png

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
What's that? Did you finally turn on the basement power? Now there's a shitload of killer chimps on the loose and rebecca is going to fall to death if you don't run to the other side of the mansion. This isn't as big of an issue when you replay it since you know it's coming but it's a bit frustrating the first time around. The lack of item box is a pain in the ass, which can be mitigated by treating safe rooms as time boxes, but that does defeat the point of have dropping any item anywhere you want.
not to mention the hookshot.
Greatest problem with 0 is that the developers seemed to make the game based on killing enemies more than avoiding them. Perhaps because REmake was all about avoiding them(the game really punishes you for trying to kill them, for example), they decided to make 0 all about killing enemies. Imo, that is what killed the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
Not so impressed after watching a playthrough. What's the point of the over the shoulder perspective and the emphasis on targeting if the environment doesn't have destructible elements? Resident Evil 4 gets a lot of crap for the direction it took the series in, but its one of the few games to successfully recreate the feeling of being chased by a mob. Locking doors and moving bookcases in front of windows only bought a short respite before the lunatics hacked them to pieces, and they were free to adapt to the player's movements in an open area rather than confined to a tightly scripted sequence. Sure its just a demo, but RE2 needed to better show us what the new perspective entails beyond the visual look and how its design takes advantage of that. It's not a compelling feature unto itself.

Then again, the dimwit I watched didn't exactly relish the chance to test the confines of the game.
Why didn't you just play the demo instead?

Why would destructive environments be the only reason to have over the shoulder 3rd person gameplay? RE2 isn't a game about being chased by mobs

So I finished RE2, Leon A and yeah, you can pretty much kill everything in the game and end it with some bullets. My handgun, sadly, ended with no bullets(I really missed some shots here and there and some zombies took more than 6~8 bullets to die), but for the rest of guns I had a lot of bullets(submachine gun was 100%, I have no reason to use it at all) and a lot of herbs, btw.
It's just like I said.
In RE2 you might run hit a dry spot of pistol ammo, but at that point in the game you can just switch to your other guns since the only time that you shouldn't use your pistol is boss fights and lickers.

I replayed Code veronica half a year ago and... :deadtroll:.

I prefer RE Zero over this by miles.
I think you forgot about the falsetto leech singing in RE0.

Really though, with RE:CV and RE0, it depends on which of them you played first, you'll hate the other one more.
I played RE0 first.

Momock

Augur
After you leave the mansion and go to a shipwreck level, game turns to shit.
Why?
RE7 mansion was designed in the same way as Mansion in RE1 or Police station in RE2 - puzzles, backtracking, save rooms, etc. Then the game abandons that formula in favor of lame linear experience with samey looking corridors and repetitive encounters.
The non-linearity of the RE7 mansion is an ilusion you had because of having one big map, but in reality you're totaly 100% railroaded and have only one way to explore it. While in the ship, because you use the same ressource to open every door or container (the acid thing) you can explore it in the way you like and you also fight real ennemies instead of running from invincilbles-until-I-say-their-not hoogie-boogies (making the ship way more true to classic RE design than the mansion).

You got fooled because you're dumb, ha!

Momock

Augur
So, either RE7 has nothing to do with the classic RE design or the whole game is true to classic RE design. :philosoraptor:
It looks like it uses classic RE design, but it's fake.

Well, it isn't fake at the begining of hard mode, since it changes the location of some items and you have to buy a certain key instead if finding it. If you buy it you're free to open some doors in the order you like and to complete a certain area starting from another point if you like. So there's that, but they made this changes only at the begining of hard mode, the rest of the game is mostly unchanged in this regards (there's more enemies and different placement for ressources, but the exploration order is the same).

Deleted member 7219

In the original RE2 (also re1 and its remake) you need only 1-3 shoots to kill a zombie, and still you need to do a lot of resource management. In the RE2 remake it's more like the classic bullet sponge usually found in mediocre shooters
Lying isn't good kiddo

Agreed. Zombies were bullet sponges in REmake unless you scored lucky in the RNG shit and got a headshot. I didn't play RE1 but I assume it was the same there.

RE4, you would need to fire a lot of bullets too until you upgrade the guns.

Haven't played enough of RE2 remake to know how bullet spongey it is. 30 min time limit made me rush through and sprint past most of the zombies.

That's why you don't pick any item until you get to the popo station so you can get the costume key. Leon has to change his outfit to increase his rate of fire by shooting it gansta style where as clarie gets a revolver that she fan fires.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom