Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

JDR13

Arcane
Witcher's combat is literally press button so your guy flies to the enemy and kills it. It definitely holds your hand, nevermind the 'vision' that paints bright red footsteps to solve any/every quest that involves 'investigation'.

Let me guess... you watched it on Youtube?

No, I played and beat all three games, the first two twice.

I must have missed that insta-kill button you're referring to.

JDR13

Arcane
Monster hunter. Devil may cry. Ninja gaiden. Etc.

In what way?
Have you played any of those games?

No. Is that somehow relevant to the question?

On second thought, I have played some of DMC. Didn't care for it.
Of course. The gear you use to play in those games will change how you play the game which is to say the experience will far better than in any PB game

I see. So it changes "how" you play the game.

When you said it made the combat "better", I thought you were claiming it actually changed the combat itself.

Murk

Arcane

You're failing to read what I wrote. Witcher 2 and 3 are just spam left mouse button for like 80% of all battles. I guess if you go up against a monster that's 10 levels higher than you, then you may need to dodge or use a spell, but the rest is just spam LMB. Witcher 1 was a different thing but I don't think anyone is gonna sing its combat system's praises.

Regardless, my point was that the game definitely holds your hand -- in combat, in exploration, in nearly everything. It's fantasy-medieval GPS system is actually quite impressive... and also decline. I guess it doesn't hold your hand in knowing what the fuck your dialog option actually results in Geralt saying, as the "fuck you" during the prison interrogation in the beginning of W2 clearly shows.

JDR13

Arcane

You're failing to read what I wrote. Witcher 2 and 3 are just spam left mouse button for like 80% of all battles. I guess if you go up against a monster that's 10 levels higher than you, then you may need to dodge or use a spell, but the rest is just spam LMB. Witcher 1 was a different thing but I don't think anyone is gonna sing its combat system's praises.

Regardless, my point was that the game definitely holds your hand -- in combat, in exploration, in nearly everything. It's fantasy-medieval GPS system is actually quite impressive... and also decline. I guess it doesn't hold your hand in knowing what the fuck your dialog option actually results in Geralt saying, as the "fuck you" during the prison interrogation in the beginning of W2 clearly shows.

Not sure what difficulty level you played on, but TW2 was most definitely not like that.

TW3 was nerfed compared to TW2, but is still challenging if you crank it up to the highest level and avoid exploits.

As far as the hand-holding is concerned, that's only in TW3 and even then the player has a good deal of control over it. Almost every part of the GUI is customizable if you take the time to do it. Quest markers, mini-map, etc, can all be toggled off.

sullynathan

Arcane
I see. So it changes "how" you play the game.

When you said it made the combat "better", I thought you were claiming it actually changed the combat itself.
Well in the games I mentioned the gear or character you choose will pretty much change how combat plays out especially in a game like monster hunter where you could have gun combat, melee combat or bow combat.

If you've played devil may cry 4, you'll quickly see how combat changes for the better or worse in your own opinion.

On th witcher, the combat especially the first was just clicking the left button (occasionally the right for signs) which is rather mundane for the type of game it is.

In witcher 2, once you reached the end of first the sword, alchemy or signs skill tree, you get a finishing move that you could activate by filling a bar and insta kills any non boss enemy.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I'll take your word for it. I don't care for most Japanese developers, and the titles you mention aren't games I'll ever play.

Ironically though, I do like Capcom a lot. I'm a big fan of Resident Evil and I like Dragon's Dogma, but I wasn't impressed by DMC.

I'd rather play a game with shitty combat if other things (writing, exploration, atmosphere) are good than a game with great combat that's lacking in the areas that are more important to me.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Friendly reminder that joining the Clerics is the definitive way to experience the game and if you picked literally anything else you're basically a homosexual.

False! Clerics are a buncha technology cucks and rules fags, outlaws are the only faction encouraging heterosexuality!!

Morkar Left

You pick the faction that holds the most advantage for Jax. They are all equally fucked up. Just in different ways.

Terenty

Liturgist
Creatures only have one attack animation. All you need to do is learn to dodge that one attack, and counterattack until your stamina is depleted. A child could master Elex's combat

Maybe so, but i wouldnt call it shit that detracted from the game. It did its job just fine, without feeling annoying or anything, and the system was fair so getting hit was on you.
There were a lot of retard journos shitting on the combat as if it was downright broken when it wasnt the case at all.

Morkar Left

Creatures only have one attack animation. All you need to do is learn to dodge that one attack, and counterattack until your stamina is depleted. A child could master Elex's combat

Maybe so, but i wouldnt call it shit that detracted from the game. It did its job just fine, without feeling annoying or anything, and the system was fair so getting hit was on you.
There were a lot of retard journos shitting on the combat as if it was downright broken when it wasnt the case at all.

The problem with combat is only on a technical level. It's the ai and animations which are the problem. And the interface with placing the combo bar downside left instead of putting it under stamina and health. But it's an rpg after all where stats still matter and not only how I bash buttons on the gamepad. And I'm grateful for this.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
PB needs to tighten their controls, improve their animations, program more attacks into enemies, and develop a system where upgrading your weapon isn't the sole factor in gameplay.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
False! Clerics are a buncha technology cucks and rules fags, outlaws are the only faction encouraging heterosexuality!!
I don't know about that )
Outlaws just have too much of a drug and dirtbag vibe imho.
Clerics might be a little on the fanatical side but Jax has to pick something to join.
Not sure where the homo-hetero argument is coming in to play.
Haven't seen any romance roleplay or adult themes yet. Except maybe the brothel in the Outlaws city.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PB needs to tighten their controls, improve their animations, program more attacks into enemies, and develop a system where upgrading your weapon isn't the sole factor in gameplay.
If I had never played Dark Souls I might think Elex combat was pretty good. I have a decent rig to play it on but I'm guessing on a low-end rig or laptop the combat might be a PITA as far as being slow and clunky.
One on one combat becomes pretty trivial after levelling in to a decent weapon. After joining Clerics even more so. Still a group of creatures or humanoids "can" drop Jax pretty quick if not careful.
Jet-packing around basically nullifies any real danger of dying. Scouting out an area beforehand is strategically important but reloading is so effortless I'm not sure it's worth it.
TBH if I was playing Ironman mode I would be much more careful and not have any risk except from surprise attacks from monster nests, etc.
Still Elex offers a lot to do. Picking up the same shit over and over is getting kind of old though.
Farming creatures for cash to buy next level armor is not so bad, kind of relaxing now the danger of every critter jumping Jax is gone (creature perk). Plus having creatures fight each other. Is that ever NOT fun?
Elex ain't perfect. Compared to Risen and Gothic I find it a step in the right direction.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I've been reading this thread from the beginning as I play and I swear, if I could, I would shoot every one who used the word "jank" straight in the fucking head. Twice.

The most retarded, cringe-worthy, means nothing, basement slang that a dumbfuck has ever shit out his word hole. I hate you all. You are cretins.

Second, after a 100 pages I have finally understood what good combats constitutes for all the genetic defects that harp on about Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and other retarded shit.

Apparently the trick to making good combat is to let the player cancel out of every animation ever to immediately dodge instead AND have the game automatically drag the player near the enemy when attacking so that he doesn't have to bother with managing distance on his own since that makes the combat "janky".

Timed combos based on rhythm are also bad, a combo should be executed by mashing the attack button repeatedly. If not, than that means the controls are unresponsive.

That is all. Die in a fire. Suck my dick. You know who you faggots are.

Morkar Left

Some enemy attack animations in ELEX! are quite long, mostly critters, which means if you manage to jump to the side the enemy will still do the attack in the direction it started. Sometimes for up to two whole seconds. While you are already behind the enemy and hit it from there. Often two times. In a duel one on one enemies get quite easy after you figured out the attack animation pattern.

But all in all the combat is quite dynamic and there is enough stuff to do:

And different weapons have different attack animations and special attacks. Handweapon and shield plays different than two-handed weapons. The most agile is with a onehanded weapon without shield. And then you have still the option of doing normal or strong attacks with every weapon set.

I decided to start a second playthrough. This time with max damage for enemies and myself. I guess it will ease out the beginning of the game with too much grinding in a fight to wear down the enemy.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
So now I'm level... 32... at about the 40 hour mark in my playthrough, I can now kill everything with my level 3 plasma rifle. Feels kinda cheap, but I spent 30 hours running/9 hours getting beat to half or less health on every enemy, and now I suppose I deserve this. Notes:

* Didn't know how to switch weapon modes until about hour 35. The lack of documentation and in game explanations is over the top. People bitch about Grimoire, but at least Cleve acknowledges the need for docs. This? Sorely needs some kind of deeper description of stats, abilities, and talents. Also, a numerical for hps, stamina, and resistances wouldn't suck either.
* Stupid items that don't align with what they did. This ring gives 10 hps! If they are going to be unclear on an items contribution or resistance, they need to be consistent. Having an item that gives a numerical bonus doesn't work here.
* The story is fantastic. Really. I'm glad I made it this far, but chapter 2 lasted about 30 minutes of game-time. I had most of the Chapter 2 tasks completed before Chapter 2 started.
* Haven't had to abuse Elex potions too heavily, so I still have a pretty good Cold... but.... how about a # here? You know, so one can take the corresponding feat?
* Some completely worthless talents that are hard to get. Wow, a... 5% bonus on creature kill experience? Bonus experience on books read? The only reason I can think of for high requirements is to prevent people from taking these shitty talents.
* Joined the Clerics and they aren't too shabby. Found a lot of history on the Clerics but don't have the complete story yet. Still scrounging around on Calladin.
* Took 3rd level Animal Scavenging or whatever just for the money - and now have a ton of natural Elex - handy for weapon upgrades, but won't use it for stat boosts
* Really like exploring the game - things just pop up and start shooting, or come out of nowhere. Game definitely rewards the inquisitive with documents and such.
* The jetpack is perfect. Really, I wouldn't change anything here. You can go anywhere if you are persistent, the way it should be.

Altogether a great game, but damn, they really need to work on making it easier to enter PB games. Should be easy at first and progressively more difficult. It really did start out as a murderfest and eventually became bearable. I did give it time because the parts were all there. I'm glad I did, but I know a lot of folks would not.

Funposter

Arcane
I think for me about Level 15 is where the game clicked and became "bearable" in the traditional sense. The game was fun before that, and the world is interesting to explore, but at Level 15 and beyond (Level 20 now) I've finally found myself not having to endlessly cheese enemies or run away from enemies constantly just to do something that the game thinks I shouldn't be doing. Granted, doing anything related to the Clerics means running past eight thousand slugbeasts which isn't that much fun. I guess the problem I have with the design isn't that there's hard stuff or roadblocks, but that the difficult stuff isn't really clearly delineated. I know that's the charm for some people, but I just think it's a bizarre design decision to give me quests which I can easily complete, taking into account only the objectives, but that require me to traverse parts of the map that I can't beat. This certainly feels like a game that is most fun on the third playthrough, when you know the exact order in which you should be completing everything so that you can powergame as quickly and efficiently as possible.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
PB games have always been about giving the player an open world where in 80% of it you will be immediately ganked. Gameplay effectively revolves around finding the next newly survivable area after each level up. They don't seem inclined to change this.

Jinn

Arcane
PB games have always been about giving the player an open world where in 80% of it you will be immediately ganked. Gameplay effectively revolves around finding the next newly survivable area after each level up. They don't seem inclined to change this.

I sure hope they don't.

Funposter

Arcane

i am aware that ELEX is the 9th re-release of Gothic 2, yes

sullynathan

Arcane
Apparently the trick to making good combat is to let the player cancel out of every animation ever to immediately dodge instead AND have the game automatically drag the player near the enemy when attacking so that he doesn't have to bother with managing distance on his own since that makes the combat "janky".
you figured it out, lets hope PB can do so too.

If I had never played Dark Souls I might think Elex combat was pretty good.
Many users here are Europeans that grew up playing rpgs with shitty combat while complaining they had shitty combat but are fine with PB's shitty combat. Apparently, it didn't matter

Last edited:

user

Savant
More than the problematic combat, I have issues with the character development vs the environment. I feel that a much better job could have been done with perks, character progression rate both stat and itemization/economy-wise. And it's a shame because the world building in this game is fucking stellar.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, would it kill them to put a wristwatch in the fucking game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom