Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: ATOM RPG

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Hehe. That King Crimson poster always gets me. Great record.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The distribution of exps is fucked up and rewards grinding. Go to five different locations to complete a quest. Earns 64 exps. Kill 3 wolves. Earns 200 exps. What should I infer from this? That quests are less important than repetitive trash mobs in the map. It feels underwhelming.

The game needs more informatiion in a couple places. For instance, if I hover the mouse over "withdraw" I want precise information about how this shit works, the penalties, etc. The same can be said about hunger and anything else.

Some minor things would improve the qualife of life of the gameplay significantly, e.g., the dialogue box oftens hides the small box. You earn 100 rubles doing a quest, but you need to close the diaologue box to figure it out how much you earned.

I got thousands of XP from some of the quests. The quests that give you 64xp are really early game quests - more like mini quests.
The information you talk about like "Hunger" is on your character sheet on your portrait - hover over it there.
the dialogue box and the small box are no where close to each other in my game, I guess we play on different resolutions.

BTW, if someone finds the movement on map too slow, too many random encounters or not enough space to carry your shit - get the car - it turns the game into easy mode.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
you can speed up combat in options,and command followers in battle to choose target etc.
I must've been fucking blind not to see this. Or so many games coming out without this feature have broken me :(

also the last pistol you can craft is quite good,and with some perks it can fire for 1 ap and never jam.
That description doesn't fit any weapon recipe I found, care to [spoil] it?

Map travel speed is so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
It's faster with more points in survival, no? I got the impression that it needs to be this way because it is balanced around the hunger mechanics, the random encounters, etc. It also makes you apreciate the damn car so much more.
I don't mean the relation of travel speed to hunger or how much in-game time it takes. That's fine and can/should be tied to stats.
I'm talking about how much real world time it takes to just stare at the screen, watching your guy go from A to B on the map. Time should simply pass faster on the map.
The car does help, but for the vast majority of the time, I was without a car - I simply didn't know you could get one, stumbled upon it by accident.

aratuk

Cipher
The test of an original work that makes heavy use of references to & citations of other works, is whether it consistently stands on its own, and can be appreciated whether you are mindful of the citation or not.

If the work fails this test, it wallows in academic masturbation toward the things it's trying to talk about, the way a latter-day Star Wars movie tends to be a breath away from fanfiction.

I haven't yet finished ATOM, but I'm a pretty good distance in, and so far I haven't run into any situations where I feel like I'm unwillingly caught up in a pastiche of something else. (Sometimes just, oh look there's Kafka himself trapped here in the Caravanserai…) The game is holding its own quite well.

The test of a good critical review is whether it causes you to regard its subject in a light you hadn't thought of for yourself, hadn't anticipated. I haven't yet finished reading this review because I haven't yet finished the game, and I am superstitious about allowing my initial experience to be unduly influenced by someone else's opinion, but so far the review likewise appears to have succeeded. I look forward to reading the rest of it soon.

:hero:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
you can speed up combat in options,and command followers in battle to choose target etc.
I must've been fucking blind not to see this. Or so many games coming out without this feature have broken me :(

also the last pistol you can craft is quite good,and with some perks it can fire for 1 ap and never jam.
That description doesn't fit any weapon recipe I found, care to [spoil] it?

Map travel speed is so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
It's faster with more points in survival, no? I got the impression that it needs to be this way because it is balanced around the hunger mechanics, the random encounters, etc. It also makes you apreciate the damn car so much more.
I don't mean the relation of travel speed to hunger or how much in-game time it takes. That's fine and can/should be tied to stats.
I'm talking about how much real world time it takes to just stare at the screen, watching your guy go from A to B on the map. Time should simply pass faster on the map.
The car does help, but for the vast majority of the time, I was without a car - I simply didn't know you could get one, stumbled upon it by accident.

The combat speed was added with the latest patch, maybe that's why you missed it.

The pistol you want is a zip gun upgraded 3 times. it cost 2 AP to shoot and with the correct perk 1 AP which makes it as good as automatic weapons.

You can use this for all your crafting needs/spoilers:
http://ru.atom-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Рецепты_для_крафта

English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://ru.atom-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%B5%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%BF%D1%82%D1%8B_%D0%B4%D0%BB%D1%8F_%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%84%D1%82%D0%B0

Deleted Member 22431

I got thousands of XP from some of the quests. The quests that give you 64xp are really early game quests - more like mini quests.
Not really, no. Very few quests give so much exp. 90% of the quests give you peanuts.

The information you talk about like "Hunger" is on your character sheet on your portrait - hover over it there.
Not intuitive at all.

the dialogue box and the small box are no where close to each other in my game, I guess we play on different resolutions.
Probably. I also notice that the main intro narrating the holocaust is fucked up if you choose simple graphics.

Deleted Member 22431

The test of a good critical review is whether it causes you to regard its subject in a light you hadn't thought of for yourself, hadn't anticipated.
No. The test is whether it makes a good assessment of the mechanics, itemization, combat, exploration, choices, etc., of the game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Russian rpg renaissance? Can someone point me to the ancient Russian rpg masterpieces that this game learned from?
Funny you should say that.

I feel ATOM heavily smell like Odium aka Gorky 17, a Polish game, and only waft up a bit like Silent Storm engine Hammer & sickle, a Russian game.

As for russian renaissance, The devs of SS and HS is making Pathfinder Kingmaker, is the latest proof.

aratuk

Cipher
The test of a good critical review is whether it causes you to regard its subject in a light you hadn't thought of for yourself, hadn't anticipated.
No. The test is whether it makes a good assessment of the mechanics, itemization, combat, exploration, choices, etc., of the game.

:lol:

Different strokes for different critics. Why don’t you address these deficiencies with a review of your own? You’ve already done most of the work here in the comments.

I’m sure Infinitron would reward you handsomely.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
The review was high on prose and low on gameplay details but not everything needs to be seen only through that scope.

I'm certain that most of us here have played thousands of hours of games with similar enough gameplay, if something sets this one a bit apart it looks like it won't be the mechanics.

lightbane

Arcane
:hmmm:

Reading this review truly felt like playing a Russian game: Attempting to understand the meaning behind walls of texts and gibberish words that seem to make sense but actually don't, as if a drunken translation machine wrote the script.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Whatever do you mean, comrade? :lol:

Run51Iq.jpg

:shredder:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
to enjoy ATOM fully, you’ll probably need to play it in Russian and be quite a prestigious Codexer who is no stranger to the 20th century Russian culture.
Finally, this game is for me. I'm almost tempted to buy it on Steam, but no.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This game would probably be my game of the decade if it would use pretendered art and sprites. Alas it's still immensely fun to play for multiple playthroughs.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel this review gives a disproportionate amount of attention to the game's writing and narrative style at the expense of time spent on the gameplay, and this may leave some with the wrong impression and expectations, but it does stoke my curiosity. I am already sold on ATOM before reading the review - it's set in a postapocalyptic Russia, and can be played in Russian.

RK47

Patron
I'm too lazy to write a detailed review with proper grammar and attempt to pass the linguistic checks.
It's Fallout. Some parts copied blindly. Some parts they tried to change for better or worse, it's a fresh setting.
2 completed playthroughs.
122 hours and increasing.

RK47

Patron
I'm waiting for a cheque from the devs.
I am professional.
Work doesn't come cheap.
Anyway post some character builds to LP and we'll see XD

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom