Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Controller recommendations

abija

Prophet
Why? Off brand controllers are either:
1. Unsupported
2. Bad quality
3. Wildly overpriceda
I don't think Logitech even produces controllers any more so that's out of the question anyway. Xbox 360 controller is the cheapest and most direct option that isn't shit quality and is well supported. Primary downside of it is that the d-pad isn't too good, but that aside it's pretty good. If you want a good d-pad consider getting a DS4 instead.

That's an incredible amount of shit in a single post. Logitech ones are slightly cheaper, just as solid and have better support in games on PC. Difference between them basically boils down to shape preference and whether you use more thumbstick (choose xbox) or dpad (choose logi) in games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Poor, poor little casuals using these popamole decliner controllers. Yeah the PS4 and XBox controllers may be "ideal" and the Steam controller may work just as well but to me you're a fake ass gamer and a sorry excuse for a man if you use those. Just imagine using one of those little silly toys and then I SAUNTER on in and throw this little bad boy down on the desk, likely crushing it under the immense weight and causing four splinters to fly into your eyeballs.

page_jaguar_pro_controller_2.jpg

Ready to play some Baldur's Gate, fuckers?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the Razer Naga of gamepads. Good for using MS Calculator but really impractical in games.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Logitech f310 does. You can switch from direct input to X input via a switch in the back. I just checked my f310 and it does include that.
Wasn't aware, thanks for the correction.
EDIT: I think you have a fair point that if you like the Xbox controller than that’s the best option, as the price point is similar. I’m not personally a fan of the Xbox controller.
True, I happen to have a preference for the Xbox style, although I grew up with a Playstation myself. It's probably because the original PS1 controller was a design that was meant to play 2D games that they stuck some sticks on at a later date, while the Xbox controller was in the 3D generation and it placed the left stick in place of the dpad as extending your finger up is more comfortable than extending it to the centre.
What does it do that other controllers can’t?
Immense accuracy with touchpads + gyros. It's a controller that can play basically anything, including management games and RTS and the like which are really poor on sticks. Watch this gameplay, he's playing a twitchy shooter on PC with no aim assist using a Steam Controller and the aim is basically as good as a mouse.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I once almost won an ancient Sega joystick/arcade stick from eBay because I listened too much to internet madmen that Sega made good 'uns back in the day compared to the cheap plastic shit sticks you get today if you're on a budget and want an arcade stick. This thing I almost bought was huge and weighted at the bottom with REAL American steel (eh, maybe Japanese steel) and felt like what I imagined the steering device for a shiny brand new German Tiger tank felt like. Clearly a bargain at $25. How could I go wrong with that? I wondered. And how did you know it was real steel at the bottom? you may ask. Well, I looked closely at the pics again, clicked and enlarged one of them, and noticed that the bottom was rusted. So I notified the seller and pleaded ignorance that I couldn't use it because it wasn't USB even though I just won it in a bid (no one else bidded, btw). He took pity on me and let it slide. Anyway, that's one of my Adventures in Joysticks and the lengths some nutballs go to get a good controller or a stick.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Poor, poor little casuals using these popamole decliner controllers. Yeah the PS4 and XBox controllers may be "ideal" and the Steam controller may work just as well but to me you're a fake ass gamer and a sorry excuse for a man if you use those. Just imagine using one of those little silly toys and then I SAUNTER on in and throw this little bad boy down on the desk, likely crushing it under the immense weight and causing four splinters to fly into your eyeballs.

page_jaguar_pro_controller_2.jpg

Ready to play some Baldur's Gate, fuckers?

Hmmm, if I bought this I'm thinking I could finally play that tiny handful of Atari 5200 and Intellivision games on my Hyperspin emulation station. Going to eBay now!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Thousands of years into the future, alien archeologists visiting planet Earth will find just two signs of advanced human civilization - millions of Nokia's 3310 and X360 controllers, still fully functional and in mint condition.

Or... thousands of years from now, ape scientists will dig these up and theorize that they were either weapons that the beast Man used to destroy himself and others of his kind or that they were sex toys that the homo beast Man used to stick up his arse, and they will sorted and placed into the box along with the Aneros prostrate massagers and official Jeff Stryker dildos.

passerby

Arcane
Immense accuracy with touchpads + gyros. It's a controller that can play basically anything, including management games and RTS and the like which are really poor on sticks.
Watch this gameplay, he's playing a twitchy shooter on PC with no aim assist using a Steam Controller and the aim is basically as good as a mouse.

Yep, it'd bring great incline to gaming if Sony and Microsoft ripped off steam controller for nextgen consoles. Not going to happen though, big tech corpos have to keep it retard friendly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Immense accuracy with touchpads + gyros. It's a controller that can play basically anything, including management games and RTS and the like which are really poor on sticks. Watch this gameplay, he's playing a twitchy shooter on PC with no aim assist using a Steam Controller and the aim is basically as good as a mouse.
Does steam controller work in general or does it have some steam only drm ?

It looks derpy as fuck, but that video is impressive enough I am tempted to cry fake.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Does steam controller work in general or does it have some steam only drm ?
No DRM. There are 3rd party drivers that allow you to use it without Steam, but most of those are not as feature rich as configuring it from the Steam client. Reddit's /r/steamcontroller community is a good source of info on it.
It looks derpy as fuck, but that video is impressive enough I am tempted to cry fake.
That's why I like the Steam controller. With normal controllers you aren't the limiting factor after you get your muscle memory down -- your controller is. The Steam Controller is so highly configurable that the controller basically cannot come a handicap and the only limiting factor is your own skill. I suggest watching this video if you are interested in it. It's practically a hour long documentary, but it's really informative about the history of it all.

Deleted Member 16721

What does it do that other controllers can’t?

A lot. Each trackpad has 4 buttons if you press it, plus whatever shift modes you set. There are 2 grip buttons in the back besides the triggers and bumpers. You can use the trackpad without touching it so for example, instead of jamming an analog stick to move you just glide your left thumb over the trackpad. Analog stick itself can be tied to whatever other functions you like. Battery life is stellar, 80 hours or so, it lasts forever. When programmed with the Steam software for it it becomes limitless what you can do with it.

Visperas

Augur
Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a Xbox controller 'cause everyone seems to like them a lot. It would be nice to know if the xbox one controller has something on the 360 controller. The steam controller looks interesting but the price and the wireless (even if it has great battery) puts me off a little bit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
That Steam controller probably IS the ultimate controller, but I always felt it was woefully overpriced, imo. The OP of this topic seems to be a cheap cunt like myself and wants something of high quality for around $30, which is why I recommended the DS4 when on sale. I've used all sorts of game controllers over the years and I now consider the DS4 the best bang for your buck, even at $40+, and it lasts forever. I once had a "name-brand" controller (actually two, of the same brand and model #) that would literally self-destruct if you accidentally dropped it onto the floor from the towering height of... wait for it... 3 feet! Did I mention that I had TWO of these, in a two month period, when I had dropped the first one in the first month, and then dropped the second one in the second month? You could probably toss an authentic Microsoft or Sony game controller off the Empire State building and have it come crashing down on a Chinese tourist's head and it would STILL work. Those fuckers are durable. I had a wired PS2 controller from 2003 that STILL worked until the day I threw it out only last year because i had no more room for my toy-things.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wired is probably best for Dark Souls games. I remember trying to play Dark souls 2 online with a DS3 bluetooth controller and the occasional latency problems were deadly for that game. Got beaten to death by a naked guy with his bare fists even though I was decked out in the finest armor and weaponry. I'm sure it was the latency issue. I'm sure I'm sure. Cos I'm sure I'm gud. As God is my judge, I'M GUD AT DARK SOULS, damn it! GUD!

passerby

Arcane
Steam controller is kind off pointless for a PC gamer, because the games that play on it better than on the other controllers, play even better with mouse and keyboard.
And for games with simple UI and not requiring precise camera controls, like platformers, slashers, racing and sports games, there is no advantage in it.
While people can can have a plug'n'play experience with a cheaper standard controller they are already familliar with. So, it's mostly for people who insist on playing from a couch, games that should be played with m&k.

But if it was brought to consoles as a standard input device and peasants got used to it, it would brought great incline to gaming, since controller limitations are the most game complexity limiting factor currently.

It's even a great businness oportunity:
1) Include only standard controller with the console to not increase the cost.
2) Require from game publishers full plug&play support for touch controller.
3) Peasants will quickly realise, that they have no chance to compete in CoD with people who bought touch controller.
4) Profit... [insert Jew emote].

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I like 8BitDo's SF30 Pro/SN30 Pro, it's basically SNES pad with the analogue sticks, the d-pad is identical (or at least almost identical) to the d-pad in original SNES pad. It should be within your budget and it costs around 30 bucks, at least last time I checked.

8bitdo-pro-1-cail.jpg

That looks cool.
It's a shame no one has ever made a controller similar to one GameCube for PC with the remaining buttons and the same quality as the originals.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Steam controller is kind off pointless for a PC gamer, because the games that play on it better than on the other controllers, play even better with mouse and keyboard.
Except if you want to play without a keyboard and mouse. You're really missing the point mate.

Deleted Member 16721

The trackpads on the Steam controller also have haptic feedback, as well as all the buttons. That means you can get vibration when moving with the trackpad for better control, or get a slight bump when you activate something like a long press on a grip or something. Dual trigger mode too, slight pull and full pull, and each can be triggered to a different setting. Tons of stuff you can do with it. I love mine, can play anything with it, even isometric ancient CRPGs.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Nobody mentioned Shield controller... If you don't mind wires, it is a nice controller IMO, a little heavy in the hand though.

I have had my F710 for years, still works pretty well. It also has a physical switch on the back for DI/XI.

Interestingly, I plug them in and.... Still use my KBM :prosper:

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a Xbox controller 'cause everyone seems to like them a lot. It would be nice to know if the xbox one controller has something on the 360 controller. The steam controller looks interesting but the price and the wireless (even if it has great battery) puts me off a little bit.
The Xbox One controller is overall better built, has a better D-pad (still not great but way better than the shitty 360 one), which makes a lot of difference if you're into older games/emulators and has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, which is something you don't expect to ever need, but which comes in handy.

It doesn't have a rechargeable battery (uses regular AA batteries instead), but battery life is pretty good. I own one and use Microsoft's proprietary wireless dongle, have no complaints.

Another option would be the Switch Pro controller, which has native support under Steam now, but I think it's way overpriced (like 80 bucks) and overall not as well built as the Xbox One controller. It does have motion sensors though if you're interested in that sort of shit.

Mustawd

Guys, I need a controller just to play dark souls games.

Can a budget controller help? I was thinking on redragon or logitech, but IDK if they have vibrations. If not, I will pick xbox 360 or one.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY
Cheap, durable and has vibration.

Are you absolute sure that this controller has vibration/sensors?

I have an f310 and it doesn’t vibrate. Maybe he meant the f710?

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
F710 has rumble. Can be switched on/off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom